Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sydney-Hobart

Just a new look at some of the performance cruisers, starting by that Sydney 43 GTS, already mentioned, that is sailing ahead of a ker 40, probably the fastest of all racing 40fters. Well, it is all in the family since the Sydney is also a Ker designed boat. The Sydney had improved its performance since the last look overtaking 4 boats. He is racing in the 20th position while the Ker 40 comes in 22.

That First 40 fleet is making a hell of a race and improved a lot its overall position. The first one is "wicked" and it has just come from 47th to 29th place. What a race

Ariel jumped from 55 to 32, Two true from 48 to 34 and the others are coming on 37, 38, 46, 58 and 66th place. Truly amazing, specially regarding the boats ahead that are racing in the middle of much bigger boats and overtaking all the time. What a race, what a boat for upwind sailing in nasty weather

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-28-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012

Racing, great boats, professional sailors and audience.

Talking with Andrews on other thread we were commenting the very poor coverage of a great race, the Sydney-Hobart. With a coverage like that the public audience will not grow, the sponsors will not be interested, great racing boats will not be commercially viable and the race instead of becoming a top professional one will become an amateur event.

Imoca class (open 60) has a big race, the Vendee Globe, that is raced each four years. One race in four years is problematic in what regards making new boats commercially viable. There are three more races, one less important, the Transat Jaques Fabre the much more popular Route du Rhum but where the Open 60 have to compete for attention with the multihulls that normally are faster and the Barcelona world race.

They decided to change things and increase the visibility and spectacularity of the races as a way to increase audiences and curiously they resourced to a British to do that:

IMOCA 60s: A French Revolution?

The solo class has signed over all their commercial rights to a company set up by Britain's Sir Keith Mills. Is a revolution ahead?

Today a multimillionaire British businessman came to the Vendée Globe race village to announce a revolution to how the boats are to be raced and marketed. ..

To the French media the Vendée Globe, once every four years, is the story and everything else the boats and skippers do is more or less incidental. But the skippers don't see it this way and, as a class, they have just signed over all the commercial rights to a company set up by Sir Keith Mills (pictured above).

The deal with his newly established Open Sports Management is a potentially far-reaching sea change for the short-handed ocean racing class, and uniquely the 90 members of the class were unanimous in agreeing to it.

From next year on, Open Sports Management will take over the marketing and planning of a matrix of events designed to revive the declining class and boost its value to sponsors.

"This need to be a lot more economically viable," says Sir Keith Mills. "What companies are looking for is consistency and payback and we need to find a way to make ocean racing more accessible."

..Sir Keith is probably the best placed businessman involved in sailing to take on the transformation and inject a dose of public passion into countries besides France. ..

The high costs have become hard to justify and it's compounded by the haphazard nature of the class calendar. Apart from the Vendée Globe and Barcelona World Race it teeters precariously on shifting sands.
First of all, Open Sports Management, based in Switzerland and underwritten initially by Sir Keith, will make a significant investment to improve camera technology on the boats.

"The commercialization of selling TV rights is at best haphazard," he tells me. "We will be investing to get a consistent feed. It's got to be accessible and we've got to make the stories better known to more people in the world and build the audience with some events that are attractive to teams and sponsors."

The company will not run races itself but will agree with the class about where and when to compete. The solo Vendée Globe and the two-handed Barcelona World Race will stay as the prime long-distance races and two more will be added so that there will be one major event every year of the four-year cycle.
He adds that the certainty of a fixed programme will make it easier for an organizer to negotiate commercial deals with host ports, and cites the success of the Volvo Ocean Race in making these deals pay.

"We want to have 25 skippers here [at the Vendée Globe] next time with more nationalities, and the only way to do that is to change the economics," he says.

He says he is looking at markets in Asia and South America in the longer term, and at today's press conference a TV arrangement was announced with a Chinese broadcaster.

It's clear that Sir Keith Mill's aims for the class are ambitious. If Open Sports Management is successful in creating an international appetite for short-handed racing it will change the face of this type of racing. It will, in the process, dilute the dominant French culture.
Skippers and sponsors obviously see this deal as essential. ..

Like any club committee or parish council with a lot of strong-minded individuals, IMOCA has more politics than the Vatican. Perhaps it will feel like room temperature to Sir Keith after the white heat of the America's Cup. But still, interesting times ahead.

IMOCA 60s: A French Revolution? | Elaine Bunting's Blog | Yachting World

Well, I had said here already that something like this was necessary to take away racing sailing as a sport from the hands of millionaire playboys to the hands of true professional sailors and I don't mean the ones that crew the boats of the millionaires but true sailing stars by their own merit that run their own racing machines in a commercially viable way after proving themselves in the lower classes as the best.

Maybe this is the beginning of a true international top championship with all top world sailors competing, kind of a F1 of the seas.

Last edited by PCP; 12-28-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

All right PCP, I can't agree with you on this one. I think it is great the Vendee is a highly commercial race same with the Volvo and the America's cup type races. But races like the Sydney to Hobart race, the Newport to Bermuda race and a lot of old traditional races need to be left a little more alone from all the big stuff.

I have a feeling a lot of Ausies want this to remain somewhere in between a race for the rich and a race for the fair dinkum beer drinking sailor. One where even the little guy has a chance.

I mean if all those Bendy toys are in the race and doing well there may be more Fosters Larger drank than wine at the end of the day.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Last edited by hannah2; 12-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
All right PCP, I can't agree with you on this one. I think it is great the Vendee is a highly commercial race same with the Volvo and the America's cup type races. But races like the Sydney to Hobart race, the Newport to Bermuda race and a lot of old traditional races need to be left a little more alone from all the big stuff.

I have a feeling a lot of Ausies want this to remain somewhere in between a race for the rich and a race for the fair dinkum beer drinking sailor. One where even the little guy has a chance.

I mean if all those Bendy toys are in the race and doing well there may be more Fosters Larger drank than wine at the end of the day.

Just my 3 cents worth.
If the Sydney-Hobart race or the Newport to Bermuda race are not raced by the best sailors and the fastest boats ( and that means professionals) and remains like they are when others are raced by the fastest boats and the best sailors what would happen is that the Sydney-Hobart and the Newport-Bermuda race will lose the status of great races to become provincial amateur races.

My point is that I want that the Sydney to Hobart and the Newport to Bermuda races continue to be major races at international level.

But I see your point regarding amateurs having fun even if most of them are millionaires or at least very rich guys. Even small boats need a considerable crew and most of the guys on top crews are paid to race. Not really professionals but something in middle term. I know some of those guys, that crew for millionaires

A race that is raced at top level by professionals as the main audience event does not mean necessarily that it could not be raced also by amateurs in different classes. As a motorcycle racer I have done many races that counted for the world cup but you can bet that the big media coverage and the public was not there to see me or the hundreds of other amateurs but the 30 professional racers that where way faster and more spectacular.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

Vendee Globe

Fantastic race: The two leaders are so close that can see each other and the third had won in less than two days 300nm and is going to win more. I guess that I am learning something about rooting. Two days ago I said that it seemed to me that the best way was over the high, the two leaders chose to go down and Jean-Pierre, is flying on top of it

To be truth I think that they are too preoccupied in shadowing each other so when one chose to go try to pass under the other followed but i guess they should start worrying about Jean-Pierre. I guess that when they will be out of weak winds Jean-Pierre would be 60nm closer. Two days ago he was at almost 700nm, tomorrow it will be probably at 300. What a race

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Cartographie

Résumé de la sixième semaine de course por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 12-29-2012

Gunfleet 43

Sometimes I post here information about boats that I don't like and this is one of them. The boat seems to have made quite a stir on UK (it is a British boat), it is very expensive and advertised as a bluewater boat. I don't doubt that it is well built but I wonder if Tony Castro could not have come up with a nicer design. I find the boat really ugly.

It seems that it sails well, but it was really necessary to come up with so narrow lateral deck passages or have the sailors so high on the boat and so far away from the gravity center?

But I guess that if many British like the boat you can like it to.

As a new video test arrived to the net, I will post it as the other test and more information.

Old 12-29-2012

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Life 10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat seems to have a lot less stability (stiffness) than the Pogo 10.50 that is 600kg heavier, has a lot more beam (3.45 to 3.90m), just less 20cm of draft and seem to have a very similar keel. I cannot find the ballast on of the Life 10.0 but on the drawings there seems not to have there a substantial bulb. It has less stability and carries more sail? Scary...since the Pogo carries already a lot of sail.

For being fast is not enough to have a lot of sail, it is also necessary to have the power (RM) to carry that sail and it seems to me that the Life 10.0 should be very tricky to sail without a racing spirit not to mention autopilot use.

That boat in a windy day with gusts should be very difficult to sail upwind even with a racing spirit. maybe with a full crew on the rail, but than, it is not properly a cruising boat.
Hi Paulo,

The design and specs are not set yet, but they are aiming for around 1300-1400 kg ballast. The boat do have a fair amount of sail area but as I have mentioned before there is not always strong winds in Sweden The idea is to take the first reef at 8-10 knots of wind, so that light wind performance don´t suffer to much. I guess the Pogo is set up for heavier winds.

The 7.5 hasn´t done to well on the races this year, but it´s a new boat and probably takes some more time to get the best performance out of it. I like the concept of the 10.0, it would be the right size for family cruising, yet small enough to be easy to handle shorthanded.

The reason that they have released some information and drawings in this early stage is that they want input from people before the set the design. This is a good idea, but there are also negative aspects like it won´t feel new when they release the first production boats and the hype might not be there any more. The yard says first boat is not to be expected before spring 2014, I think even that might be optimistic. I would have loved to have the opportunity to sail one before I decide on my next boat, but I think decision will be made before 2014 Still have to get rid of the damn motorboat though

//Mr W
Old 12-29-2012

Sydney Hobart history

Old 12-29-2012

Re: Life 10.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Paulo,

The design and specs are not set yet, but they are aiming for around 1300-1400 kg ballast. The boat do have a fair amount of sail area but as I have mentioned before there is not always strong winds in Sweden The idea is to take the first reef at 8-10 knots of wind, so that light wind performance don´t suffer to much. I guess the Pogo is set up for heavier winds.

... I like the concept of the 10.0, it would be the right size for family cruising, yet small enough to be easy to handle shorthanded.

//Mr W
Yes, the right size but for cruising with the family? A cruiser boat that reefs the sails with 8/10K? do you have not gusting winds there or gusts created by orography?

That is a racing boat for at least a crew of two. on a cruising boat is not realistic to reef with less than 12/14K wind specially now where the norm is having only two reefs. For going fast on lighter winds cruisers use a code 0 or a Geenaker not a huge main.

The smaller boat is interesting and this one can be too but they have to define if it is a racer or a performance cruiser. They can also make two versions, one a racer other a performance cruiser.

Regarding ballast I like boats with a big B/D ratio and with 1300/1400kg that will be the case but then for that ballast to work you need heel and that boat is not made to heel. I guess the boat need a ker type of transom one that allows going fast downwind with a minimum wet surface and allows the boat to have considerable heel before the hull form start to make full effect, I mean like this:

That is a Sydney 43GS. Do you have seen the performance on the last Hobart? truly amazing!!!!

regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2012

Vendee Globe

Still together and doing over 20k the leaders are pointed to the Horn where a bad surprise waits them:

Ice has been monitored well to the north and east of Drake’s Passage for much of December.

When the leaders are due to round there are expected to be 15 relatively small icebergs to the south and east of Cape Horn at a radius of about 50 miles.

The ice is reckoned to be drifting away at a rate of around 20 miles per day which, suggests Race Director Denis Horeau, means the problem is most serious for the first boats.
“ CLS our partners have seen by satellite that there is ice drifting in the south and east of Cape Horn, but of course the problem is that the satellites can only see some of the ice, not all of it. So far we can only see ice by satellite which is at least 100 metres long. And so long as we know that there is ice of 100 metres long approximately then you can be sure that there will be some smaller bergs around. So that is our problem.”

“The choice is now with the skippers. We will inform them every day of the situation, what we can see with the satellites and what the drift is expected to be. So we will provide them with a report every day in order that they can understand the situation as well as we can see it.”

Day 50 highlights - Saturday, December 29, 2012 por VendeeGlobeTV