Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Advanced 60

Something specially beautiful fot the first post of 2013, a Felci 60ft on the best Italian tradition. The NA say about the boat:

The hull of the 60 ft yacht designed for Advanced Yachts is the result of a research into high performance associated with great sailing comfort.

The high stability, the friction-free and soft motion on waves are the main aspects we blent to obtain this entirely innovative hull, able to give a true sport feeling together with a docile and manageable sailing.
The yacht considerable interior volume have been obtained without compromising the agile performance.

The bow entry as well as the aft treatment of the hull are straight and powerful , ready to give you performances and balance at every heel angles; to helm this yacht will always be easy and fun.

The high aspect ratio of the appendage as well as the canoe body of the new A60 are the result of very deep analysis during which our experience connected with the design of many super-performing fast cruisers had been able to mix the main characteristics, necessary for a comfortable and safe blue water navigation, together with the new hydrodynamics trends developed in order to obtain always higher performances.

Yes, these type of hulls are the one I like more and the boat has not only a high performance keel, a considerable draft and also a good B/D ratio. That means a powerful stiff and stable boat. A great design and I really like any of the two versions. I like even more the one with the sleeker looks but I would not mind to have the other

Last edited by PCP; 01-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2013

Vendee Globe

And François Gabart, the smiling kid, is the first to pass the Horn and enter the Atlantic, on the last leg of the race. Very few would think the rookie could make it so far on the lead. Yes he is one of the fastest and we all knew that but to win the Vendee is needed much more than to be fast. Normally a lot of experience is required...well, normally, not for the kid

He is also the fastest man to reach the horn in monohull with only 52 days. can he beat the 80 days around the globe, the mythical mark?

Anyway he has to watch out. He can very well do that and even so lose the race. Armel is only 25NM behind

Vendée Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Michel Desjoyeaux, the only skipper to win the Vendée Globe twice, whose company manage Gabart’s campaign, commented:
“ I exchanged text messages with François, very short messages. He told me the visibility was under two miles, he’s sailing ahead of a (cold) front and approaching Cape Horn. So he has his hands full right now.”

“ It is a very emotional moment, but I’m afraid he doesn’t have time to enjoy it because the data collected by CLS shows there’s ice all over the area. It’s hard to tell exactly what type of ice blocks, growlers and icebergs there is but they definitely need to be out on the deck and visually check. You need to stand next to the helm, even if the autopilot is on, because you can grab the helm if necessary or work on the sails if you need to change the heading of the boat very quickly. Radars aren’t enough because they can’t detect smaller objects.”

They both have to be careful and not sail too close to the coast either.”

“I’m so happy for François, he’s been so much in control of his boat and his race from the start onwards, he and Armel have led the race since the Southern Ocean. I’m sure they have had their own technical issues, but they managed to solve them and keep enjoying the experience and to have a blast.”

Day 53 Highlights por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 01-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2013

Advanced 66

That Advanced 60 that I have posted recently may seem to beautiful to become true. No, they have already a beautiful 66:

Old 01-02-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Stamm DSQ

Cheminées Poujoulat Disqualified - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
Very sad, it seems Stamm has been DSQ by the race comittee. By the letter of the rules, I guess he did receive assistence, but the circumstances required him to save his vessel, and avoid endangering the research vessel. Should he be DSQ? Thoughts?
I think not...
Remember last time.....
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...m_1206429c.jpg

Last edited by bjung; 01-02-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-02-2013

Re: Stamm DSQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Cheminées Poujoulat Disqualified - Vendée Globe 2012-2013
Very sad, it seems Stamm has been DSQ by the race comittee. By the letter of the rules, I guess he did receive assistence, but the circumstances required him to save his vessel, and avoid endangering the research vessel. Should he be DSQ? Thoughts?
I think not...
Remember last time.....
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...m_1206429c.jpg
That is really sad but the rules are to be followed.

He had an engine and if he had used it in absolute necessity I don't think he would have been disqualified. He knew he could not be helped without disqualification and did not ask the Russian crew to leave his boat immediately.

Naive from Stamm but if you don't follow the rules in all cases, things can become nasty.

Stamm certainly did not deserved that bad luck, I mean all these problems with hidrogenerators. Next time I bet that all are going to carry more spars.

Facts found

On 22 12, Bernard Stamm decides to change course toward the Auckland Islands in order to repair the hydro generators.

Until 23 12 at 04h00, Bernard Stamm sails by his own means to Sandy Bay, prepared to anchor.

At 04h53, Bernard Stamm anchors in the bay after having unsealed the engine and the heavy anchor.

At 20h00, Bernard Stamm notices the presence of a Russian scientific ship Professeur Khoromov moored close to his position. Then, within half an hour, Bernard Stamm notices his boat is drifting.

Seeing the boat is drifting toward the ship, Bernard Stamm calls her by VHF. During the chat with the crew, they propose to moor his boat to the ship. Considering this is an emergency situation, Bernard Stamm decides to use the ship as a mooring and informs the crew of his decision by VHF.

Then Bernard Stamm prepares the boat to move, sets the sails and turns on all devices .

Coming back in the cockpit, Bernard Stamm notices that a person from the ship is on board his boat and has begun to recover the anchor.

Bernard Stamm starts the engine and turns on the auto helm, then goes to the bow to recover the anchor.

Bernard Stamm decides not to ask this person to leave the boat “when I saw him on board I did not find any reason that could justify to send him back from the board”.

Bernard Stamm comes back to the engine controls and at the helm and the person at the bow throws the line on the Russian boat to make it fast.

Immediately afterwards, the person leaves Cheminées Poujoulat and returns to his RIB.

Once the boat has been correctly moored behind the Professeur Khoromov, Bernard Stamm goes to say hello to the two people in the RIB, and then they offer help. At this time, Bernard Stamm explains clearly the situation, that he is racing, that he is not entitled to any help.

Bernard Stamm considers that this was a case of absolute necessity for which it was needed to act in order to secure the boat and to prevent creating a problem for the ship moored nearby.

Conclusion

Mooring to another boat is a breach of the first sentence of NOR 3.2.

By not asking the person on his boat to leave when he discovered him, Bernard Stamm broke the second sentence of NOR 3.2.

The mooring of Cheminées Poujoulat to the Professeur Khoromov was made with the help of the person on board and the crew of the Professeur Khoromov. This is a breach to the second sentence of NOR 3.2.

Even though not requested, the assistance received from the crew member by Cheminées Poujoulat to secure the Cheminées Poujoulat and to prevent creating problem for the Professeur Khoromov constitutes a breach to NOR 3.2, and the material contact with another boat by mooring to her constitutes a breach to NOR 3.2 and to the principle of NOR 3.

Decision

Cheminées Poujoulat is DSQ from the Vendée Globe under NOR 3.2, fourth sentence and SI 11.2

Date 01 01 2013 at 18h00

The International Jury

Bernard Bonneau (FRA); Ana Sanchez (ESP); Trevor Lewis (GBR); Jack Lloyd (NZL); Georges Priol (FRA)

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013

New York to San Francisco sail record attempt.

Giovanni Soldini leaved New York leaved New York on a Volvo 70 (Maserati) and seems to have a good head start over the 15 year old monohull record of Yves Parlier. Should not be difficult given the advancements in boat design but I don't think he can beat the absolute sail record from Lionel Lemonchois in a multihull, 5 years ago.

13225 nautical miles separate New York from San Francisco via Cape Horn, a historic route, widely travelled by clippers (huge and fast sailing ships with three or four masts and square sails used for ocean voyage in the second half of the nineteenth century) that were involved in the gold rush.

In 1848 the discovery of gold deposits in California led the American colonists living on the east coast of the United States to start long journeys towards gold. They had to choose between two possible routes: cross the country by land with the danger of Indian attacks or sail around the South American continent against the waves and winds of Cape Horn.
This mythical cape lies on a long continental shelf where the seabed suddenly falls down from less than 100 metres to over 4,000 metres. This extraordinary difference in depth creates huge waves in the current clash between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Hard conditions for those who travel from west to east, much harder for those who try to do it the other way, challenging the headwinds.

As a consequence of the gold rush, San Francisco Port recorded an amazing increase of the incoming ship traffic: from only 2 boats between April 1847 and April 1848, it received up to 800 ships in 1849, with a total of 91.400 passengers. Between 1850 and 1854 American yards built 160 clippers. Those who managed to get to San Francisco were making the journey in about 200 days.

In 1850, the first real competition between clippers saw Samuel Russel running the route in 109 days. From that time on, the records were gradually recorded. The best result of the time was set in 1854 by Flying Cloud, exceptional vessel from the Boston shipyards, that reached San Francisco in 89 days and 21 hours, a record that stood for more than 130 years. The success of Flying Cloud was due to a well-matched crew: Captain Josiah Perkins Creesy and his wife, Eleanor Creesy, a scholar of ocean currents, meteorology and astronomy.

After several attempts by many boats, the 60-foot Thursday’s Child of Warren Luhrs arrived to San Francisco after 80 days and 20 hours in 1989. Few years later, in 1994, Isabelle Autissier on board Ecureuil Poitou took 62 days and 5 hours. Then, in 1998, Yves Parlier on board Aquitaine Innovations has dropped to 57 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes. This is the reference record for Giovanni Soldini and his crew who will try to beat it aboard the VOR70 Maserati, from the end of December 2012.

The overall record in the multihull category belongs to Lionel Lemonchois that made the journey in 43 days and 38 minutes aboard catamaran Gitana 13 in 2008.

http://maserati.soldini.it/cartografia/?lang=en
Old 01-02-2013

Yves Parlier

Many that follow this thread only have a first real contact with the Vendee Golde here and some have expressed some surprise by the hero status and popularity that those sail sailors have in France. Well, now things are a lot more technique, the boats are much better and safer but the legendary times are a fresh memory on all the French as on the ones that followed those editions.

Yves Parlier is the sailor that still holds the 15 year old record of the New York San Francisco passage and he made that on what would be now an old Open 60.

He is one of those French legends and I guess that hearing and seeing some histories you guys will understand why. First of all he is old, but not retired. Look at him with Alain Thébault establishing last year a record on the S. Francisco bay with an average of 37.5nm, waiting for a window for the an attempt to the Transpacific record. He is the navigator.

Going fast on a multihull is nothing new to him:

Have patient with this video. It is a German one at least at first but then Yves in bad English is going to tell an incredible story and believe me that is not the only incredible one he has

But the story that beats all the others was is performance on the 2001 Vendee Globe: Deep South at the longitude of New Zealand he lost the mast. Not a reason to give up, at least for him. He makeshifts a jury rig and continues. His provisions were not counting with the slower speed of the boat under jury rig and they finish. Not a reason to give up: he continues drinking rain water, fishing and eating algae. It is comprehensible that he was received as a hero

MOVIE:

http://mp4.ha.ina.fr/video/CAB010140...arlier.fr.html

Last edited by PCP; 01-02-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2013

Americas' cup: Oracle guilty of spionage

Larry Ellison's America's Cup sailing team has been accused by its Italian competitor of spying, a practice as old as the 161-year-old America's Cup trophy that's the prize on the San Francisco Bay this summer.

Luna Rossa, the Italian team, contends in its formal protest to an international jury of sailing experts that Oracle Team USA sent a spy in an inflatable boat to take pictures of its 72-foot catamaran during training runs last month on the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand.

Larry Ellison's Oracle Racing Accused Of Spying To Gain America's Cup Advantage

The International Jury for the 34th America’s Cup said it found Oracle Team USA, the team owned by Oracle Corp. CEO Larry Ellison, guilty of spying on a rival team.
The Italian team, Luna Rossa, accused Oracle’s team of being within 200 meters of the Italian boat during a training session last November.
The jury said that as punishment Oracle’s team returned 10 photos of the Italian boat, fined the team $15,200 and cut five days off the period in which it is allowed to train with its 72-foot catamaran.

Larry Ellison?s America?s Cup team found guilty of spying on Italian rival - San Francisco Business Times

Oracle Team USA have been left off lightly by the International Jury, who have announced their penalty for spying within the 200 metre radius permitted in the Protocol governing the 34th America's Cup. ...

Both Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand sought far more substantial penalties, with each giving several options - none of which was taken on board by the International Jury.

Sail-World.com : America's Cup: Oracle let off lightly on spying penalty

http://noticeboard.americascup.com/w...1/08/JN060.pdf
Old 01-02-2013

Vendee Globe

Those solo racers are not only great sailors but also great human beings. They come all in help of Stamm and if the jury maintains its position in what regards the disqualification of Stamm they will look as the bad guys since the public is also with Stamm. Take a looK:

Jean le Cam:

For me, Bernard acted as a good sailor, he did everything to save his boat and he is penalized!

It is as if a man finds himself at the edge of the cliff, he may fall, there is someone who extends his hand and he should answer him: "Well, no, because it’s the rules, so please don’t help me" and he falls off the cliff!

I’m desperate. If what happened to Bernard is not a case of force majeure so I do not know what it is. I sent an email to the jury this morning because we cannot make such a decisions.

It is important to realize that in the future we can no longer provide assistance in cases of immediate danger, fearing the disqualification. Should we let our boat be wrecked?

Jean Pierre Dick:

I just woke up and I heard about Bernard Stamm’s disqualification. I find it outrageous; I am shocked by this announcement. The jury's decision seems totally disproportionate to me.

Bernard Stamm has committed an infraction of the rules. I can understand he can be penalized for it, but not like that. Disqualification is really strong. It's unbelievable! It was case of force majeure, Bernard acted as a good sailor to secure his boat.

Our projects require significant involvement, hard work from the sailor, the teams and the sponsors. Bernard is fighting every day against the elements. I think it will be fairer if he remains in the race with a penalty. I want the jury to reconsider its decision.

Dominique wavre:

I sent an email to Bernard to express my solidarity and my friendship. It really is a great misfortune that falls on him. Well of course I know Bernard, he is a good friend and we’ve lived very intense moments together. I do not doubt for a second that he acted as a sailor, and did what he needed to secure his boat. I do not want to make another comment, judge the jury or anything else. I just want to say that I am with Bernard.

Mike Golding:

"The Vendée Globe is the pinnacle of offshore racing, solo and without assistance. To preserve the fundamental ethos of the Vendée Globe we have to live by the sword and die by the sword. Part of the lure of the race is that it is without assistance and so places the ultimate premium on self-reliance.

I think I can see the thinking behind the decision. The rules are the rules and all that. But I think when you know all the story about Bernard and you know the situation he is in now, facing a good chunk of South Pacific to sail across and then icebergs at Cape Horn and the problems he still has, I think it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like the right thing. ..…… I am very, very sad for Bernard and I hope he can get an appeal together and stay in the race.

Poor Bernard, he'll be devastated. I really empathise with his situation and with almost a duplication of what happened in the last edition, the safety of the boat and those around him must come first.

The race, for the leader, is about being the leader, but for the boats that are further back, including myself, the race is about the atmosphere at the start, the atmosphere at the finish and the amazing adventure you have in between. ..

I think the reception Bernard gets as he goes up the canal in Les Sables d'Olonne, will be, and should be, equal and perhaps greater than the boats around him... I think everyone in this race, and everyone of his followers and the followers of the race will be really upset by the prospect of a seemingly heartless jury, making a decision that perhaps they had to make."

Alex Thomson:

I wanted to mention what a shame it was to hear of Bernard’s disqualification this morning. While I understand the reasons taken into account by the jury I do feel it was quit harsh Given the huge amount of work he had done to get the Hydro working so he could continue in the race, and taking into account what happened to him in 2008 where he lost his boat it sounds as though he did what was necessary for the safety of himself and his boat. I really feel for the guy.”

Stamm wants to fight on

Swiss solo skipper Bernard Stamm has pledged to try and have his case reopened by the five person International Jury.

The skipper of Cheminées Poujoulat needs to give the Jury good reason to do so, by presenting new, additional information beyond that in his original submission, before Thursday morning.

It is the cruellest of blows for the skipper whose third campaign to complete the Vendée Globe appears to have been foreshortened in the Pacific Ocean, even after spending nearly four days in two different locations repairing his hydrogenerators.

Vivid memories of losing his boat in this race four years ago in the Kerguelen Islands in very similar circumstances, trying to anchor in 40kts of wind, will almost certainly have been foremost in his mind during this unfortunate episode.

He confirmed that he will continue on the course to the finish in Les Sables d’Olonne. Skippers and observers have already suggested the very popular Stamm would be accorded a huge welcome if he did.

Stamm, who twice lead this race, sounded despondent but objective when he told Vendée Globe LIVE today: “ When I saw my anchor was moving I called on the VHF to warn the other boat that I was getting closer. They are the one who told me I could tie up to them. I was running everywhere on the boat trying switch on everything.

When I came out, there was someone trying to pull up the anchor. I did not even have time to tell him to get off my boat, especially since we were dragging. I finished pulling back up the anchor and he fastened the line to his boat. Any sailor in the world would have done the same thing, and it happened so fast that I did not think what is specified in the rules Maybe the captain of the Professor Khromov can testify but I'm not sure he would bring any new elements.”

Day 54 Highlights por VendeeGlobeTV

Week 7 Highlights of the 2012-2013 Vendée Globe por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 01-02-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2013

Bavaria 42 Vision/Jeanneau 41DD

These two boats are in direct concurrency on this main market segment. They are similar in the concept, yet different:

The Bavaria weights 9800kg and the Jeanneau 7860kg but probably the Bavaria is way faster because it compensates the superior weight with a lot more sail area. The SA/D for both boats are 19.6 for the Bavaria and 17.2 to the Jeanneau.
Curiously, since the weight of the boat has many times relation with the price, the Bavaria is substantially less expensive : 134 900 to 154 900 euros.

Everybody that sailed the Bavaria, including the testers from Yacht magazine said the boat, like its big sister, the 46, sailed very well, but I don't like the low ballast displacement ratio that is similar to the one used in the Benetau Oceanis line. Regarding the jeanneau they did not disclosed the ballast and I don't mean on the official page but to nobody. Not even on the Jeanneau owners forum you can find it and when that happens it is normally a good sign.

In fact the Jeanneau 409 had a good B/D for the type of boat (and you can find the boat ballast on the net) and had on the basic version (with less sail) 78.9m2 of sail and a lot more (with the same ballast) on the performance version. The 44.1DS has the same weight but only 66.7m2 and such a big difference in sail area on the same hull leads to suppose a smaller RM and therefore a smaller B/D.

Between the two I would chose clearly the 42 Vision, not only is substantially less expensive as with almost more 2 tons it will be a more seaworthy boat with a feel of a bigger boat without being less fast.

But I maintain that cruisers are being mislead with this type of boats. Cruisers tend to assume these boats safer and more seaworthy that boats that looks more sportive and it is just the opposite.

It is the case regarding the Jeanneau 409 and the 411ds (assuming I am right about the ballast and the relation with the sail area) and with the Vision 42 Vision and the Bavaria 40 cruiser that has a significantly bigger B/D ratio with a similar keel and similar draft. These kind of boats offer also more windage and a more narrow and difficult passage from the cockpit to the mast.

Sometimes they are not even better in storage space or interior surface space but only in what regards interior volume. They provide more standing height and more interior light. That can be a enough reason to buy one if the interior of the boat is by far the more used commodity. They give very good liveaboard boats or weekend houses in the marina and even so they provide a decent and in the case of the Bavaria, looking at the SA/D, a good sailing performance.

MOVIE from the Yacht magazine test:

Familienzuwachs: Bavaria 42 Vision - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

Last edited by PCP; 01-03-2013 at 10:23 AM.