Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Sorry, I forgot that we DID look at Amels. I even went to Guatemala to look at an especially well priced one. However, overall, we found them to be over priced compared to their spartan aft cabin. We are liveaboards and the aft cabin in an Amel sucks.

Jesus, you seem to be very demanding This is the aft cabin on the smaller Amel:

You can see it here in 360║

visite virtuelle Amel 55

In fact the Amel 55 can come with two aft cabins or just a big one and I would say that the big one is really big.

You are talking about this boat?

Ta Chiao CT 54/56 Review: Perry Pirate Ship - Waves ź Jordan Yacht Brokerage

With this Aft cabin?

Virtual Tour of a Ta Chiao CT 54 Luxury Ketch for sale in South Oban, Argyll

That is a really old design. I did not know that they were still making that boat. It is a new or recent one?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Maestro 345

I┤m doing some catching up this evening, been busy with the family all christmas

I think this boat is new to the thread, the Maestro 345!

This boat designed by Kamu Strňhlmann looks really interesting. It┤s light weight, it has a deep lifting keel, reasonable sail area and it┤s a good size (at least for me!). I wonder how the interior design looks. Something like the Pogo┤s would be nice, I think Roseo did a good job on them. Bright, modern looking and light but still comfortable and functional.

Any thoughts?!

//Mr W
axel and EricKLYC like this.
Old 01-04-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Maestro 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I think this boat is new to the thread, the Maestro 345!
A little more info:

It┤s built out of carbon and epoxy. The keel has a lead bulb with duplex steel fin. Keel weight is 1450kg. This gives RM of 30-3780 kNm (which tells me nothing, please comment Paulo!). Mast, boom and bowsprit is Selden carbon fibre. First boat weighed in at 2680kg w/o rig. Rig weighs 135kg. It┤s CE class A. Engine options are electric or diesel.

See the boat on Maestro Boats homepage.

//Mr W
Old 01-04-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jesus, you seem to be very demanding This is the aft cabin on the smaller Amel:

You can see it here in 360║

visite virtuelle Amel 55

In fact the Amel 55 can come with two aft cabins or just a big one and I would say that the big one is really big.

You are talking about this boat?

Ta Chiao CT 54/56 Review: Perry Pirate Ship - Waves ź Jordan Yacht Brokerage

With this Aft cabin?

Virtual Tour of a Ta Chiao CT 54 Luxury Ketch for sale in South Oban, Argyll

That is a really old design. I did not know that they were still making that boat. It is a new or recent one?

Regards

Paulo
The Amels we looked at sure didn't have an aft cabin looking like that!!!

They were not NEW. Perhaps that is the difference? As it was the Amels we were looking at were approx. half a Million $s.

Sorry, we are not prepared to afford NEW prices.
Old 01-04-2013

Vendee Globe

Now on the Atlantic the two leaders continue very close. It seemed Franšois could go slightly faster and managed an increasing 40Nm lead over Armel but then Armel changed course and now they are laterally separated by 200Nm.

Armel reduced the difference to 12NM and a big high pressure center is just ahead. Very difficult call. It seems that at first Franšois will have advantage but later it seems better for Armel and maybe for more time.

Anyway, big strategic play at work and maybe an error from Franšois. He knows he can be faster so he would only need to cover Armel moves and then when he is nearer and the way is easy, just go faster for the finish line. He is taken a big risk letting Armel do his play and allowing him to have a big lateral difference. It is not by accident that Armel is called the "Jackal" and that may well finish badly to the smiling kid.

He is betting when it seems to me he had not a need to. Interesting

VendÚe Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Jean-Pierre is not losing way but not winning also and remains at about 350Nm. Anyway it is amazing how he can be there. The guy went up his mast 5 times already It seems that this time he mananged to solve the problem. Cheers for him. Maybe now he can recover distance over the two leaders even if I think he would not be able to recover 350NM till the finish line.

Cinquième montée victorieuse pour Jean-Pierre Dick por VendeeGlobeTV

Day 56 highlights por VendeeGlobeTV
Old 01-04-2013

Re: Maestro 345

Quote:
A little more info:

It┤s built out of carbon and epoxy. The keel has a lead bulb with duplex steel fin. Keel weight is 1450kg. This gives RM of 30-3780 kNm (which tells me nothing, please comment Paulo!). Mast, boom and bowsprit is Selden carbon fibre. First boat weighed in at 2680kg w/o rig. Rig weighs 135kg. It┤s CE class A. Engine options are electric or diesel.

See the boat on Maestro Boats homepage.

//Mr W
That is very simple. That is the boat you were waiting for. Just buy it and invite me for a ride

I just love that boat and I find quite unexpected to find it in Maestro.

Some 7 or seven years ago I asked them some information about the then new Maestro 40. I liked what I had saw regarding the boat and asked for a stability curve and price. The one that replied to me was the NA and I exchanged some nice emails with him. The stability curve was very good and I was impressed with the boat, a bit to classic for me in the interior, also very expensive and out of budget.

Now, this is a completely different bird, a very modern boat while the other was nice but classic on the line of traditional fast Nordic performance cruisers.

I don't know how this one come up. The designer is Strahlmann yacht design. I like their designs a lot I mean I love the Finngulf yachts, but all their work is about classical very good stuff.

This is not a classical one at all. I have some doubts how the boat can be so light with the mechanism to lift the keel and such a big ballast, but then Maestro has a tradition of very well made boats and Strahlmann yacht design a tradition of designing very solid boats.

I like the beam, I like the hull, I like the transom, I like the cabin design and all the light and outside view it will provide, I like the lifting keel and positively love the B/D (48%) and the draft (2.60m). My friend that boat will not need anybody in the rails and even so it will be MASSIVELY STIFF.

It will heel considerable upwind but it will be solid as a rock and even if 76m2 of sail is a lot for a boat with 3000kg it is well possible that this one will only have to reef at 13 or 14K as most cruisers will having a race boat performance.

But you are warned, this boat has to be expensive. The secret of Pogo is that the way they make the boats, I mean regarding the design criteria, the boats will have a good performance and will not be expensive. This boat will be a lot faster than the Pogo mainly upwind (and more difficult to sail downwind but faster too) but has to be a lot more expensive. That lifting mecanism is more expensive than a swing one and that hull has to be more strong and be heavily reinforced with a grid to take all the strain that huge ballast and big draft will put on the hull.

But I love it, that's for sure. That's the more interesting boat I have seen for some time and I see a lot of boats

Thanks for having posted it.

Regards

Paulo
nemier, EricKLYC and Mr W like this.
Old 01-04-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I really appreciate that you mention both the good and less good things about your boat....
Thanks, Mr. W!

I very much agree Interesting Sailboats are only interesting if we also get to know their drawbacks.
Boats that tick all the boxes are not interesting, probably because they just do not exist .

Kind regards,

Eric
Old 01-05-2013

Vendee globe: Epic stories and the first winner.

The movies are very bad and cannot even be embeded but they are just amaizing:

First story:

Rescue of Philippe Poupon by Loick Peyron, two of the greatest sailors ever.

Poupon, 35, whom the French consider the fastest sailor alive....In second place on Dec. 28, Poupon was steering a wide arc around the Cape of Good Hope at 47 degrees south latitude.

The wind was 55 knots and the seas 25 feet, he recalled. He was below when he felt the boat roll to port. In an instant, he was over 120 degrees, with his keel in the air and his main and mizzen masts and sails under water.

Afraid he was trapped below, he waited for the keel to lever the boat erect. It didn't happen.

"I was terrified the boat would turn 'turtle' (upside down)," Poupon told race headquarters by radio afterward.

When he saw that the boat was stabilized but capsized, Poupon set to work to save himself and the boat.

First, he turned on two satellite emergency beacons, alerting race headquarters of trouble. Next, he donned a survival suit and pumped his water ballast tanks empty in the hope that the boat, minus the weight of the ballast, would right itself. No luck.

A South African search and rescue aircraft, alerted by race headquarters, spotted Fleury Michon 1,300 nautical miles southwest of Cape Town 23 hours after the emergency beacons were activated.

Three hours later, Loick Peyron, 29, aboard Lada Poch, in third place 130 nautical miles astern of Fleury Michon when the emergency developed, arrived. Peyron found Fleury Michon broadside to heavy seas and 25-knot wind. Poupon was nowhere in sight.

Peyron blew his boat whistle, and the startled Poupon clambered on deck to find his rescuer slowly circling his stricken craft.

Poupon floated a line to Lada Poch, which towed the bow of the capsized vessel into the wind. The two sailors waited, hoping that without the force of the wind and seas acting on its broadside length, the boat would spring back up. Again, it failed to respond.

Poupon decided to lessen the force holding his boat down by cutting away the mizzen mast. This done, the boat came up. Except for shredded sails, everything appeared to be intact, Peyron reported by radio.

Peyron rejoined the race with a 14-hour 30-minute time allowance for going to Poupon's aid. However, as soon as Peyron put a line on Fleury Michon, Poupon was disqualified. The rules allow no outside assistance.

Fleury Michon was not built as a ketch with an aft--or mizzen--mast. It was designed as a sloop with a single mast. Poupon added the mizzen to give himself a spare upon which to set sail if the other mast was lost. It now appears that the water pressure on the added mast and sail kept Fleury Michon from righting itself and forced Poupon to accept assistance.

'Roaring 40s' Claim 3 Sailboats : Yachting: Southern Ocean storms reduce field of Globe Challenge around-the-world race. - Los Angeles Times

THE MOVIES:

http://www.ina.fr/video/NA0000139429...-globe.fr.html

http://www.ina.fr/sport/voile/dossie...containerVideo

The second one was an even more epic and desperate one, Pete Goss's Rescue of Raphael Dinelli :

In 1996 Pete’s boat, the “Open 50” yacht Aqua Quorum, became the first British vessel ever to compete in the Vendee.....

By mid-December the Aqua Quorum had left Europe far behind, and was sailing through the Southern Ocean… one of the most desolate places in the world.
There are no ships there, no vapor trails overhead…nothing, for thousands of miles. It’s a place justly feared by sailors, due to its unpredictable winds and violent storm systems. On Christmas Day, 1996, Pete was fighting his way through one of those storm systems about 1400 miles off Perth, Australia when he received a Mayday signal, passed on by the Marine Rescue and Control center in Australia.

One of his fellow competitors, Frenchman Raphael Dinelli, was fighting for his life. His boat had been overwhelmed by giant seas and was sinking, deep in the Southern Ocean…and the Aqua Quorum was the only boat in the area.
But, just to put that “area” into perspective: Raphael was over 160 miles away, through a howling ocean gale, with huge, freezing swells and deteriorating conditions!

Pete knew his chances of fighting his way through such a storm in time to rescue his fellow sailor were slim. But without him, Raphael’s chances were zero....

He sent what he knew might be his last fax to his wife to explain what he was about to do, and turned around to attempt the rescue.
Time and again Aqua Quorum was knocked over by the seas. Goss knew he was close to the end of his own endurance...

Pete Goss: Making the right decision | The Mark of a Leader

The story told by Peter:

Each boat has, in addition to its telecommunications equipment, a special button which you press only in a life-threatening situation, and then the race organisers notify the local rescue authorities. So I simply picked up a mayday notification on the screen in my cockpit; I didn't know who was in trouble. Then a little bit later, another emergency message came in to say it was Raphael. I immediately decided to turn round and go for him. There was another competitor only four hours away, but his communications had gone down in a storm, so as far as we knew it was up to me.

Turning round was hazardous. My boat, Aqua Quorum, wasn't built to go for long against the prevailing winds. I was knocked down lots of times, the boat lay over, mast in the water, and stuff like that. But she's a good boat and we plugged away all night and the following day the wind eased. I didn't have any sense of panic, but I did wonder whether Raph- ael would be alive. It's very, very cold in that part of the world, and I knew that, effectively, his clock was ticking away.

It took two days of battling hurricane-force winds before he finally located the life-raft carrying the near-dead Dinelli, who had by that point spent 2 days in a survival suit, waiting for rescue.
Once he had managed to get Raphael on board (no easy feat in a freezing wind, poor visibility and 30-foot waves) there was no time for congratulations.

Pete got him below, into warm clothes and a bunk…and then went back on deck to keep them both alive.

For several weeks, Pete acted as nurse for Raphael, who was suffering from both exhaustion and hypothermia.

Raphael’s English was even spottier than Pete’s French, so at first they had a few challenges in communicating. Nevertheless, after 10 days they were firm friends, sharing conversations about everything and anything.

Dinelli, realizing now what was most important to him, used Pete’s fax machine to ask his girlfriend to marry him. When she accepted, he asked Pete to be best man at his wedding.

Two weeks after the rescue Pete dropped Raphael off at Hobart, Australia, to continue on the race. They shook hands and vowed to meet for a beer.

The next time Pete saw Raphael, the Frenchman was cheering wildly as Aqua Quorumcrossed the finish line at Les Sables d’Olonne, 126 days and 21 hours after it had first pulled away from its slip. Pete Goss had become the fastest British sailor to sail single-handedly round the world.

Pete Goss: Making the right decision | The Mark of a Leader

There is a book about this story:

Rescue from Beyond the Roaring Forties: The Story of Pete Goss's Rescue of Raphael Dinelli: Amazon.co.uk: Raphael Dinelli: Books Rescue from Beyond the Roaring Forties: The Story of Pete Goss's Rescue of Raphael Dinelli: Amazon.co.uk: Raphael Dinelli: Books

Musto Stories - Pete Goss from Musto Stories on Vimeo.

and since we are looking back just let's remember the first race and the winner,Titouan Lamazou

MOVIE:

and the first edition was not only won by a great sailor (that used to crew with Tabarly) but most of all with an adventurer, an artist and and writer. A truly big human being as the first winner of a great race.

He was nominated in 2003 Unesco artist for the peace after his project ZoÚ-ZoÚ, Women of the world.

Femmes du monde ╗ Les ouvrages de Titouan Lamazou

African Great Lakes - ditions en ligne - Titouan Lamazou - ditions en ligne de Titouan Lamazou,

With the French nationality, he was born in Casablanca, Morocco.

For just one time and as a homage to Lamazou I will not post pictures of boats but some of his work. He tried to show to us all that we are all the same even with different looks and cultures, all beautiful to the eyes of good. And to the eyes of men, what way is better to show that than to picture beautiful women all around the world

jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 01-05-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

...which brings us to another reading selection for those who dream of ocean racing, Pete Goss's "Close to the Wind", which de-glamorizes solo ocean racing. After reading his book, you will realize a solo racing campaign is really about finding/obtaining corporate sponsors so you can raise the monumental amounts of capital necessary to fund your race.
Old 01-05-2013

Vendee Globe

It is possible that the options taken now, face to this strategic play determine who is going to win this race. The options of the two leaders are so different that it would be almost miraculous that one would not come way better of this than the other.

The weather report only gives 36 hours but even looking on other one that goes till 60 hours I cannot see any way to passing to the West so I guess that soon Armel is going to turn East on a convergence route with Franšois. It seems to me that Armel is trying to escape some head wind at the cost of a longer way.

It may just works but I don't believe it will turn in an advantage of more than 35Nm. If he really is trying a complete different scheme, well it beats the 60 hours that I have of previsions and beats me. If so it may well be already connected with the Doldrum passage but that is way too much for me.

By the time being the one that is winning big time is Jean-Pierre. I was expecting him to win distance with this delicate weather pattern on the leaders but almost 100Nm? I guess that now that he has not to climb to the mast every other day, he should be racing with another spirit. The weather pattern is better for him so he would continue to win and I am very curious to see how much. For now he has 250Nm to recover, less 100 that he had yesterday.

VendÚe Globe 2012-2013 - Tracking

Day 57 highlights por VendeeGlobeTV

Week 8 Highlights of the 2012-2013 Vendée Globe por VendeeGlobeTV

Last edited by PCP; 01-05-2013 at 05:59 PM.