Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013

zdamen is on a distinguished road
Re: 2013 European boat of the year I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Well I bet I was wrong about the sailing qualities and I hope to have the possibility to see that personally in some months when Zdamen receives his new boat.

By the way Zdamen, congratulations about your choice. So many experienced sailors could not fail in what regards choosing a boat and given the competition (Xp-50, GS 39, Sly 38, MC 34) the boat has to sail very well

I wait with anticipation that sailing with Zdamen

Hi Paulo,

Thanks, and as it was promised, as soon as it arrives you'll be on top of the list for a tryout.

Just as curiosity, there's one in Belém right now, that's going to cross the atlantic as it's headed for Brasil.

The owners tried it out last saturday(!) and as it seems it didn't went under... 50knts registered aboard!!!

Wasn't my first choice but let's hope it was the right one.

Cheers all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo,
Did you get a chance to check out the new Dehler 38?
I would be interrested to find out , if the interior finish quality is what we are used to from Dehler, or if the move to Greifswald negatively affected this?!
What I can see in the pics on their website and the above video looks nice, and well thought out. One issue of concern is the lack of non skid on the cabintop.

Last edited by bjung; 01-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Paulo,
Did you get a chance to check out the new Dehler 38?
YouTube
I would be interrested to find out , if the interior finish quality is what we are used to from Dehler, or if the move to Greifswald negatively affected this?!
What I can see in the pics on their website and the above video looks nice, and well thought out. One issue of concern is the lack of non skid on the cabintop.
Hi,

I saw only your PM when I arrived from Dusseldorf so no pictures.....but you will be glad to know that this was one of the surprises and a good one. Contrary to the 41 (that was also there and that I visited too) the interior of the boat is very good. Not that the 41 has bad quality on the finish but the difference in design quality is huge.

A very beautiful boat with good storage space and a very clever and innovative head. In fact they managed to solve on the two cabin versions the access to the second cabin in a brilliant way and it works visually with the advantage of separating the toilet in two parts, one with an isolated head and shower, the other with the toilet part. Very clever and very functional.

So you can buy this one and you will not regret it. The boat is very stiff with a very good B/D ratio (32%) taking into consideration the very efficient keel. The rigging is well done (as in all Dehlers). You have only to chose between the one they call competition (C) and the standard version. But don't let the words mislead you, competition my ass, what you really have is a cheaper version and a more expensive one.

The main difference has to do with an epoxy cored hull with a synthetic core versus a balsa cored boat with regular resins. Probably also a wire rig versus a rod one and I don't know if the standard one has lead as ballast.

I am assuming that the differences are the same as between the two versions of the 41. Regarding that one what I have found out is that the low spec version is not expensive but the high spec is. To give you an idea the low spec was slightly more expensive than the high spec of the Salona 41 that had similar spec regarding the Dehler 41 C (high spec).

If you are in a market for a 38 I would say that you have a lot of good boats to choose: the CG 39, the Solaris 37 (I saw them again on the fair and they were as beautiful as I remember them) and the Salona 38.

If you have the money buy the Solaris 37 it is just a perfect cruising boat with an impeccable finish. It is like to have a well designed HR. If you are short on money buy the Salona 38.

If it was me I would not be too worried about any of the boats and I would concentrate on the offer they will make you on each boat. Perhaps some brands will be interested in having a boat in the US for the sailing magazines to test, if you don't mind of course and most of all the best deal would be to buy it directly on the factory and sail it to the US. They can take you about 30% of the European price (the Deahler share) and you will not pay the transport...so, big money to save

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-24-2013

European Boat of the year 2013 II

And two more classes:

The special boat of the year was won by an American boat from a shipyards the Europeans love: J boats and the winner was the J70. I guess that jboat shipyard is on the wrong side of the pond, I mean the Jboats sell and are more appreciated in Europe than in the US. There are even some models that are made in France and then exported to the US. A big CHAPEAU to Rodney S. Johnstone the NA that designs the Jboats, the only US contemporary NA that manages to be truly appreciated on the very competitive European market. It is good to remember that not long ago the J111 was considered the boat of the year by the readers of a big French sailing magazine and not one specially pointed to racing. I am sure it is a great sailingboat with a fantastic performance since it manage to beat a very strong competition.

And finally the multihull of the year was won by the Outremer 5X and this choice I would say it was expected even with the strong competition of the Dragonfly 32. Outremer are fantastic cats, voyage cats that changed the way a circumnavigation boat was looked at. I mean there are many type of boats that are suited for circumnavigation, Outremer popularized the circumnavigation boats that can do it at 2 digit speeds in a very seaworthy way. Also a fantastic boat to live aboard with a great interior. A fantastic boat and one that deserves the Cat denomination, I mean miau

Outremer Catamaran - Our Catamarans - Outremer 5X

Outremer 5X por voile-magazine

Old 01-24-2013

Fastnet 2013

"Just a day after entries opened for this year's Fastnet Race the 300-boat limit had been reached. The Royal Ocean Racing Club confirmed entries for the race had reached capacity less than 24 hours after the online entry system opened.:...

Malden Heckstall-Smith, former editor of Yachting Monthly was one of the founders of the Fastnet Race which was conceived by yachtsman-author Weston Martyr. Entered by seven vessels, the inaugural Fastnet Race was won by the pilot cutter Jolie Brise in 1925."

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/news/...-enter-fastnet

It seems we are going to have a great race

Last edited by PCP; 01-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2013

Talking Humor time

"A sailor involved in his 15th sea rescue has been begged by harbour officials to hang up his wetsuit after costing the RNLI a staggering £40,000 in call-out costs.

But Glenn Crawley refuses to give up sailing, blaming "some granny walking along the cliffs" for the numerous emergency calls made on his behalf.

The 56-year-old says he doesn't need help from the RNLI. "I'm not the one asking to be rescued," he said. "Other people make those calls. My boat has been in mortal danger many times but that's replaceable. I'm not in danger."

you can read the rest here:

Captain Calamity in 15th sea rescue | ybw
Old 01-25-2013

daviid is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo wrote

I will talk about the other 2 categories when I have the time and also about boat disappointments. The two bigger: The Halberg-Rassy 412 and the Hanse 415.

When you get a chance, I would love to hear your impressions of the Hanse 415.
Old 01-25-2013

Hanse 415/HR 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Paulo wrote

I will talk about the other 2 categories when I have the time and also about boat disappointments. The two bigger: The Halberg-Rassy 412 and the Hanse 415.

When you get a chance, I would love to hear your impressions of the Hanse 415.
Hi David,

regarding those two boats I have talked about deception but that does not mean that they are bad boats just that I hoped for more.

Regarding the Hanse 415, from the photos it seemed to me that the boat had finally a better quality interior and I mean mostly in what regards design. Well, it has not and the boat exposed was of particular bad taste in what regards color combinations.

It is a shame. Dehler that is from the same group had already managed to sort out the interior design problem and I am sure they contracted a good specialized interior designer to design the 38 interior. I don't understand why Hanse doesn't do the same. Makes no sense. I guess that the guy that is in charge of Hanse is not very sensible to that (not to say that he as an uneducated taste) and he is not able to see that the boats have a problem on that area.

Besides that the storage space is very scarce. They made the interior aft cabins high at the cost of the interior space of the lateral cockpit lockers that are small and the boat has not any other meaningful storage space on the cockpit. Simply you will not have the space to store the fenders inside. On this boat, contrary to the Jeanneau 409, you cannot have a three cabin boat unless you use the boat only for week-end cruising.

About the HR 412, I visited the boat with my daughter that is almost a graduate in design, to show her a boat with a quality interior. Well, she was not impressed at all, neither me. The quality is good but probably not as good as on a Solaris 37 that we had visited previously and the design quality is just vulgar while on the Solaris is outstanding.

The overall design of the boat is also of average quality and I men cabin and cockpit and even my daughter noticed that. The only thing that stands out is the aluminum fixed spraywood that looked as good as ever.

But most of all what was really odd was the lack of storage space on the cockpit, a bit like the Hanse. You just don't have space for taking the fenders in and that is ridiculous in my opinion. Many shipyards have been investing too much in interior space, the one most people notice most on the boat shows, at the cost of outside storage and functionality in what regards cruising.

I was not expecting Halberg-Rassy to be one of them. My boat or the Salona 41 have incomparably more outside storage space than the HR 412. Both boats can be used for cruising with a 3 cabins set-up, not the HR 412, that is like the Hanse 415 strictly a 2 cabin boat in what regards cruising, I mean, not week-end cruising.

I find that unacceptable on a 12.6m boat, specially if it is a main stream cruiser and not a performance boat like the Salona 41 or the Comet 41.

Saying that, I am quite sure that both boats are good sailing boats, or even very good sailing boats (taking into consideration their type) in all other aspects and that's why I was disappointed.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-25-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2013

Dusseldorf messe and the European boat market.

The first impression is that you cannot see any difference in the number of boats. In fact they were so many that I forgot to see some that I wanted to see. A closer look shows some differences: The number of small cruisers with less than 33ft has increased a lot and most of them come from Poland.

I don't know if it is common knowledge but for some years now many of the French boats and some of the Italian boats are in fact made in Polish factories. I guess that the know how needed to make those boats and the increased number of specialized workmanship had permitted the birth of a prosperous local industry and to top the cake there are a lot of interesting new Polish NA.

Those boats seem well made and most of all they are less expensive than the mainstream French boat builders. I heard that at least a Polish brand and not one with the more interesting boats is already available in the US and I guess more will follow.

There are also a lot of sport boats and daysailers, probably more than before and certainly a lot less boats between 33 and 40ft than in previous years. Also a huge increase in really big boats, over 45ft with many boats over 50ft.

I had already discussed elsewhere the reasons for this and it has not only to do with a middle class in trouble but also with the increase of the charter market and most of all with the recent improvements in rigging, winches and boat control (computerized lateral thrusters) that make easy for a couple sailing and cruising on a bigger boat (50ft and over). Most people that are buying cruisers are retired couples or couples near retirement and they feel safer on a bigger boat, not to mention that they want a boat that looks like home, since they are going to live aboard for some months.

I talked with the guys from Salona to know what would be the next boats to be introduced in their line. The 44 has already some years and the 38 is recent but the hull comes from the 37 so I would have expected that in the next 2 to 3 years some new boats, specially a new 44/45 to be presented on the market. Nothing like that. The 38 is selling very well and the priority is to finish their 60ft and to make a 50ft.

It seems that with big boats they can have bigger profit margins and in fact they earn more money with a big boat than with several smaller ones and as there is a demand, they are pointing to profit. And they are not the only ones, if you have a look at the other shipyards, most of them are making more and more big boats and less of what some years ago would be considered a medium sized boat.

I bet that in some 5 to 10 years the European market of the typical mass produced boat of 40ft and smaller will have a large share of Polish boats and we will see probably the disappearance of what are now the entry models on French, German and Italian Shipyards. I guess the entry line for most will be a 36ft boat.

Last edited by PCP; 01-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2013

Safety: Rya Sea survival handbook

you can download it here for free:

Rya Sea Survival Handbook - Free eBooks Download

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.