Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vendee Globe

Javier Sanso was picked up at the middle of a black night by a Portuguese Navy hellicopter.

He is well and don't know quite well what happened. He heard a big noise, the boat heeled violently he was thrown overboard, the boat capsized (but not sink). He swam to the boat, pulled (from the water) the liferaft and released a mayday. He was rescued some hours later. That explains why he could not contact the organization.

Le récit de Javier Sansó - Vendée Globe 2012-2013

They are going to recover the boat. I bet that was another keel that was gone. Definitively they have to go top that solution proposed by almost all the designers regarding all boasts having the same keel, as a way to rapidly improve the reliability of the system.

Curiously it was not what the boat had of innovative that failed: The Acciona was the only boat that was making the race using only renewable energies and it seemed that it was doing quite well regarding that. It is possible that on the next edition all boats will be like that or at least there are some competitors interested in that. It was to be a rule for all otherwise the boats that use the system would be penalized by extra weight.

That would be very important as a research field for systems that would be suitable for cruising boats also.

Last edited by PCP; 02-04-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: A little quizze:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is made by a big factory, it is a recent boat and it has between 45 and 50ft. What the hell is this?

a HINT: they really need to hire a top interior designer and a very good NA would help too but I guess that you can see that
Hunter ?
Old 02-04-2013

Re: A little quizze:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Hunter ?
Well, I guess the Hunters woulds also benefit from the work of a top Na and a good interior designer. The hull design seems not to be worst than the ones from the Hunter but the interiors, in what regards design or simply an educated taste, are really awful and mostly on the details. The hulls have some resemblance with the ones from Varianta.

The interior give some clues. Look at the "decoration details".

A big factory does not mean that it is a known one, at least for us

Last edited by PCP; 02-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2013

Vendee globe: Rescue of Sanso

He was quite faraway from Açores, at about 350Nm, so first they located him with an airplane and then pick him up with an helicopter.

Yes, he lost the keel, we can see that on the airplane passage.

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-04-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2013

Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Good and really bad news:

Jean-Pierre resumed racing, has good weather ahead and I believe he will have no problem in finishing in 4th place.

Javier Sanso Capsized and is waiting rescue. Not much details about it but I guess he lost the keel.
Javier has been very professionally rescued by the Portugese coastguards. He was airlifted by a SAR helicopter, operating at the limit of its autonomy. The skipper spent only 12 hours in his liferaft and is now sound and well. Nice job, I’d say !

Le sauvetage de Javier Sanso par VendeeGlobeTV

It’s clear once again the keel has been lost. According to his first declarations there was no UFO involved, so the debate about more regulation will probably rise once again. When taking a reef, there was a shock, the boat immediately turned over and he fell into the water. I think he was lucky to be able to reach the stern, then activate and board his liferaft.
Meanwhile, his rescue is a big relief .

And J-P Dick is about to cross the finish line, also without his keel .

Best regards,

Eric
PCP likes this.

Last edited by EricKLYC; 02-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2013

Re: Vendee Globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post

It’s clear once again the keel has been lost. According to his first declarations there was no UFO involved, so the debate about more regulation will probably rise once again. When taking a reef, there was a shock, the boat immediately turned over and he fell into the water. I think he was lucky to be able to reach the stern, then activate and board his liferaft.
Meanwhile, his rescue is a big relief .

Eric
Yes, very lucky. I is probably the only guy that has to be grateful for the boat to capsize.

He was thrown overboard when the boat heeled violently and only after that, some moments later, the boat capsized. If the boat had resumed sailing without the keel, even if for some minutes, it would have been very difficult or completely impossible for him to reach the boat and he would be domed.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-04-2013

Re: Vendee globe: Rescue of Sanso

Quote:

He was quite faraway from Açores, at about 500kms, so first they located him with an airplane and then pick him with an helicopter.

Yes, he lost the keel, we can see that on the airplane passage.

It seems we covered the same topic simultaneously, Paulo .
This only shows how big a relief this rescue operation is for everyone.

Also J-P Dick is out of trouble now, let's keep our fingers crossed for Mike Golding (also keel problems) and Tanguy De Lamotte (destroyed starboard rudder and port centreboard, taking water).

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-04-2013

Sundbeam 24.2

Lately we have been talking much about Sunbeam and with good reason. the Austrian brand that had always made quality Yachts had recently changed the focus from very traditional and conservative yachts to a more modern approach.

The new boats maintain the old quality but they are also fast and nice.

Here the 24.2, a day-sailer/week-end cruiser, recently tested by PBO:

http://www.sunbeam.at/fileadmin/user...eam24-2012.pdf
Old 02-04-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thanks again Paulo for all the interesting boats you lets us all become aware of.

What do you know about Elvestron sails? We are considering their radial cut sails for our modern designed boat. They have some really amazing footage of their factory on youtube that we have watched.

We have been always into some of Americas best custom sail makers in the past for our previous traditional boats. Thought folks would like to see their websites as they do incredible hand work. Now we are interested in more modern designed sails to complement the new boat. We have to make up our minds soon on a sail maker in Europe.

Schattauer sails Schattauer Sails Inc. The history of Schattauer sails goes all the way back to Germany and clipper ships.

Hawsey sails Port Townsend Sails - new sails and repair for all sailboats

Cheers

Last edited by hannah2; 02-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi!
This is my first post, though for the last several months I regularly follow this thread (since the 1st page) and find it the more interesting and educational than many other threads I have tried to follow. Though for the time being I am just a coastal single-handed day sailor on my Etap 21i, thanks to the postings on this thread and Paulo's posts in other threads on other forums, I know what type will be my next boat when I decide I have enough time for cruising and find rhe money for the appropriate boat.

Referring back to the Dusseldorf boat show, I would like Paulo to tell us his first hand impressions of the Sly 38 (apart from what he has already posted before the beginning of the show).

Rumen