Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013

wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: New Grand Soleil 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This was one that I wanted to see in Dusseldorf but they had only the 39 (that looked great). The first new 43GS was on the Paris boat show and then it went to England, don't know why (probably sold).

The boat was tested by Voile and Voiliers and they only said good things about it. That's remarkable since they are French and Italians are the main competition. As expected the boat is fast even if it was the "cruising" version they have tested. There will have a more sportive version weighting 10% less, carbon mast and all. I guess that one will be a match for the Xp 44.

This one is just an wonderful performance cruiser with a very high quality interior, more cozy and with a better design than the one on the Xp 44. The price is halfway between a First 45 and a XP 44.

Even if not the fastest version this one would be fast enough for me, if I had the money:

with main and a code 0:

With 3.5K TW at 90º - 4K speed

with 6.0K TW at 110º - 6K speed

with 11.0 TW at 110º - 8.8K speed

What a daft spot to the the anchor?

Like Volvo's 20 years ago where they seemed to fire the designer just as they got to the rear doors so they stuck a box on the back for the trunk like the 740's years ago.....

The XP's (38, 44, 50) have a much nicer arrangement with the anchor roller more or less hidden under the bow sprit, chain and warp goes internally to a windlass and locker under the deck.

They have also engineered the sprit to be strong enough not to need the supporting cable you see on many boats (like this one).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
That is a beautiful SY and it looks powerful. But, But where is the windlass and the anchor? Even I have to stop sailing once in a great while drop anchor and have a G&T or a good single malt. Oh, I see where the anchor goes, interesting indeed. I'll get used to these new designs someday.

Cheers
Here you have:

Not only a winch and a chain locker but also also a sail locker.

I guess they found out that the boat looked better for the pictures without an achor

The boat is really a beauty

Cheers

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2013

Re: Solo sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
The quick thinking and how Bernard went about fixing a serious problem shows most likely that he had thought often of things that can go wrong. One does not have to think of that exact situation before it happens to be able to solve the problem but a series of smaller problems fixed or thought deeply about that related to this type of situation.

As serious sailors and cruisers I hope we all are spending the time to go over situations that could be serious to you and your crew. Always be thinking, observing, spend time to " WHAT IF?"

Cheers

Steve
And I thought I was the only one to do that kind of "" WHAT IF?".

In fact one of the secrets for solo sailing is to think in advance every move you have to do and the right sequence. As most things in life it's easy: You only have to know what to do next and do it as quick as you can. As in life, knowing "what to do next?" and the right sequence is more hard than it seems and requires a fair amount of thought. In an emergency it is not a good time to think what to do next.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2013

Sundbeam 36.1

We have talked lately a lot about Sunbeam boats and with good reason: They seem to be in a successful renovation process and they are making quite interesting boats at a mid price between Jeanneaus and the like and HRs and the like.

They are an older brand (+50 years) and had always made quality boats but the design was not top and the performances were not great. Well, they had changed all that. The boats are well designed with a great attention to details, their are good looking, have a good quality and are as fast as the other boats in this class. The 36.1 is designed by Georg Nissen e Manfred Schoechl.

The only thing I don't like is the (only) two winches on the cockpit. Other boats in this class have that system, with only two winches too and today only Bavaria and performance cruisers offer 4 on the cockpit so it can be said it is a trend....well, I don't like it.

The boat was tested by yachtingMonthly and the test is quite good. I agree with all, except that stuff regarding the two winches and how easy is to sail with only that. Well maybe with relaxing sailing but how it will work with a geenaker?

A nice boat and an interesting one for someone that wants a comfortable, quality and well thought boat with everything needed already included in the standard boat price for not as much as a Swedish or Danish boat. The boat has also different stability characteristics than the typical mass production boats of this class with less beam and with a bigger B/D ratio (33%). I like the hull and keel, the overall design too. A nice boat

Last edited by PCP; 02-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Very curious system. I never had seen anything similar.
It looks quite complicated indeed. Thanks a lot for posting the snapshots Paulo, they make it much easier to describe the setup .

In fact it’s a very efficient arrangement to be able to put a very high tension on the inner forestay.
Not only to get a flat staysail, but this is also the only way to bend the mast somewhat further and flatten the mainsail. Because there is no backstay (fathead mainsail) and no runners (it’s a cruiser ), the mast is only pre- bent by the very aft swept spreaders and a lot of tension on the caps and shrouds. Extra bend of the very rigid (carbon) mast in heavy weather must therefore be obtained by (quite huge) tension on the inner forestay .
With a traditional rig a comparable flattening effect is obtained by taking in the backstay.

Let me describe the setup starting from the cockpit. Once rigged, the tension is applied from the cockpit with one of the coachroof winches, multiplied by the tackle in the sail/anchor locker/forward crash box.

Quote:
I see the clutch, the one with a blue line that goes to a little hole and then to the tackle (inside the anchor locker). But I see also a white line coming out of the hole. What it is for?
So this blue line runs from the piano, all the way forward through the clutch on the foredeck.
This clutch can be operated from the cockpit with an thin control line. This is meant to avoid permanent strain on the line (and the deck) all the way back to the cockpit, the same way racers fit masthead hooks to take halyard strain off the mast. (The green line and its clutch do the same for the deployment of the bowsprit, also requiring quite a lot of tension.)

The blue line then disappears into the sail/anchor locker/forward crash box, where it runs through a 3:1 tackle. Winch + tackle give plenty of power, which is transferred to the white line exiting the locker again and ending on the black “handle” (on later Pogo’s it’s a thick kind of manrope knot).

Quote:
I see also a plastic handle and a loop on the stay. I thought that it was a direct system connection, from the blue line to the stay, but then what is that blue loop on the stay and the handle what role plays in the system?

The thin, blue, knotted loop on the video is a fake (I presume because the inner forestay was then not yet rigged on the only just finished hull #1). Imagine instead the looped end of the thick textile forestay, that fits into the “handle” or manrope knot in the same way you designed these nice textile “clips”.

Quote:
Yes, no doubt a clip is the best system but I asked if they were made of metal because Comar sailmaker that is specialized in high tech sails and solutions was very adamant about not using metal clips on a textile stay. I had saw some textile clips but at very high prices (about 50 euros each) so I am in the process of making them for my sail. I have alredy the wood buttons that come from China and I am in the phase of buyng 6mm dyneema rope to do the lops. Something like this:

Quote:
Can you talk with the guys from Pogo and their sailmaker to confirm what Comar sailmaker had said to me regarding metal clips to be inappropriate for a textile stay?
I have no idea why textile clips would work better on a textile forestay, I’d rather expect more friction, wear and tear. But I’ll certainly check this with our sailmaker Incidences. Anyway: nice design (and nice drawings).

Quote:
Regarding your favorite nightmare I have good news to you. Have a look:

Quote:
You can pull the reefing line from the cockpit with that system.
Thanks for the tip, Paulo! But there is a limit to the number of lines that can be brought back to even the largest cockpit, so the halyard of our staysail is trimmed from the mast and we have to go to the foredeck to reef it anyway…

Quote:
Yes that is the same problem in what regards rigging. Like in your boat my removable stay is pretty forward and it would make difficult tacking.

I plan to have it permanently mounted if I went out already with strong winds and in that case that is the sail I am going to hoist. If strong winds are a possibility I plan to have the sail already on deck, forward, attached to the life lines on a long bag similar to the one you have. Only if strong winds appear I will go forward, mount the stay and clip the sail in it. I guess it would gave some work but with the boat sailing with a reefed main that should not be very hard.

I guess that Jib without the reef would be good for 30/35 K wind. In fact the boat works very well with only that sail and just a bit of main or no main at all. I guess that with the reefed staysail as only sail the boat would be good for 40/45 winds. More than that I would have to put the storm sail. That should not come as a surprise and in that case I will have the Jib mounted in the stay and on the lifelines inside the long bag, ready to clip, the storm sail.

Even so it would be more difficult than cliping the jib because I would have to put the Jib on the forward sail locker and only then I would be able to clip the storm sail. I don't want to think what would be like if I had not a sail locker just in the right place. It would be very difficult to bring that big sail (the jib) to the boat interior, at least alone.
I fully agree, this is exactly the way we do it when strong winds are expected. You certainly don’t want to carry a heavy staysail across the foredeck when things become really bad.
And the way we would do it if we had a storm sail. We don’t, because I think the stability of the boat should be sufficient to cope with 50+ winds with a reefed staysail. Another of my favorite nightmares .

Quote:
I guess this year I am going to try that system a lot since I will be sailing the Cyclades in July and August and that means a lot of days with wind over B7.
The Cyclades… absolutely wonderful every time we went cruising there.
With a reliable engine and a large bimini for the prevailing windless summer conditions and to enjoy the beautiful scenery, anchorages, …
And also with very good sailing and anchoring equipment for the Meltemi and the violent thermal winds that also occur, sometimes without warning. But of course you know all that much better than I do, so enjoy it !

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 02-11-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013

Francis Joyon is back on the water chasing another record:

You don't know who Joyon is? Shame on you. He is just the man that holds the sailing circumnavigation solo record (57 days and 13 hours), the sailing 24 hours solo record (668 Nm averaging 27.83K), Central Atlantic record ( Cadiz -S.Salvador) and the Record France - Mauritian Islands, always in solo of course.

Is on the water trying to beat his own Central Atlantic Record, that is called in France: "Route des decouvertes".

Besides this record its main objective for this year is to beat the North Atlantic record and he is warming up for the clash of titans: The 2014 Route du Rhum.

On the last one he was beaten by.....Franck Camas that sailed alone the monstrous trimaran that he used with a full team to beat the world circumnavigation absolute record. Camas managed what many deemed impossible: to solo sail that monster and beat Joyon and his dedicated solo trimaran racer.

The North Atlantic solo record is, since 2008, in the hands of Thomas Coville with 5 days and 19 hours. Joyon had tried to beat it in 2011 but capsized shortly after leaving New York.

Have a look at Joyon and his boat:

Last edited by PCP; 02-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2013

Circumnavigation with a 7.7m boat, a Django.

I don't like it. It is as foolish as the other guy that was sailing a A35 at 50º South, trying to establish a non stop circumnavigation record. The A35 is a great boat with offshore potential but trying to sail it on the stormy Southern ocean is a stunt. If one has luck it will make it if not he would be rescued, as it was the case.

This other guy, trying to circumnavigate with a Django 7.70, is doing the same, I mean a stunt. The Django is a great boat, with care with the weather can even cross the Atlantic but circumnavigate? Maybe he can do it if he is lucky and in that case it would be worse because other guys would think that it is an appropriated boat to do that and may try the same with less luck.

This is not an adequate boat to circumnavigate. The boat was EC classified as a Class B boat, as in my opinion should be:

Mare Haute - Django 7.70

Now this guy says it is a certified Class A boat. I don't know if they managed to alter the boat in a way that it could pass a Class A certification but I doubt it. I don't know any boat with this size that has made it as a Class A:

Le voilier, un Django 7.70

But even if they had managed to certificate the boat as a Class A that does not mean that it is appropriated to circumnavigate.

He is looking for partners for the voyage. Maybe you are interested?

Into the wind | Un bateau , un piolet , un parapente , un tour du monde . . .

The French press is covering the project:

La presse | Into the wind

Well, they should say instead that what this guy is trying to do is a dangerous thing. This is the same type of stunt as 70 old grand mothers or teenagers trying to circumnavigate non stop. These guys should be looked as crazy loonies not has potential heroes and the nautical press should refuse to cover these stunts, not giving coverage to them. well, I guess this sell magazines

The Django 7.70 is a very interesting and seaworthy boat to its size, a very interesting coastal cruiser with some limited offshore potential:

MOVIE:

Django 770 : teaser de l'essai complet en vidéo

Old 02-13-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Hey Paulo,
after reading a lot here and otherwere, it becomes clearer what I need:

- a fast boat, especially shorthanded (no regattas!)
- "comfortable" (I need space, no mahagoni) with 4, but also useable with 6 persons
- under 200k€ (and not older than 5 years)
- under 2m deep
- lots of upwind
- wheel(s), no tiller
- save boat up to 7-8bft

So what about the Salona 35 (maybe with heavier keel)?
Elan 350?
A35?
Sun Fast 3600?

btw: any information on a bigger Seascape? Only heard that there will be one... Sometimes!

Last edited by robelz; 02-13-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Hey Paulo,
after reading a lot here and otherwere, it becomes clearer what I need:

- a fast boat, especially shorthanded (no regattas!)
- "comfortable" (I need space, no mahagoni) with 4, but also useable with 6 persons
- under 200k€ (and not older than 5 years)
- under 2m deep
- lots of upwind
- wheel(s), no tiller
- save boat up to 7-8bft

So what about the Salona 35 (maybe with heavier keel)?
Elan 350?
A35?
Sun Fast 3600?

btw: any information on a bigger Seascape? Only heard that there will be one... Sometimes!
Lot's of boats that meet your criteria. I guess that in what regards an upwind boat the bigger limitation is about draft even if you don't say how much under 2.00m you need to go. I guess that in what regards size a 34/35ft is the minimum considering the occasional 6.

For what I understand from previous posts you want to sail actually in places with 2.00 depth. That is much different than to access places with a minimum of 2.00 depth. For instance, with a 2/2.2m depth boat I normally sail off the 10.0m line, start to take care when I come closer. I am really careful with less than 6.0m and don't sail at all with less than 4.0m. I understand that are lot's of places where the water is very swallow for great extensions but in that case I guess one has to carefully consider the options and the draft.

If you are going to actually sail in places with a 2.0 depth it will not be safe to sail in a boat with 1.9m draft.

I guess this will be your mainly limitations in what regards the choice of a boat. Can you clarify better your needs in what regard cruising grounds and depth?

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-13-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lot's of boats that meet your criteria. I guess that in what regards an upwind boat the bigger limitation is about draft even if you don't say how much under 2.00m you need to go. I guess that in what regards size a 34/35ft is the minimum considering the occasional 6.

For what I understand from previous posts you want to sail actually in places with 2.00 depth. That is much different than to access places with a minimum of 2.00 depth. For instance, with a 2/2.2m depth boat I normally sail off the 10.0m line, start to take care when I come closer. I am really careful with less than 6.0m and don't sail at all with less than 4.0m. I understand that are lot's of places where the water is very swallow for great extensions but in that case I guess one has to carefully consider the options and the draft.

If you are going to actually sail in places with a 2.0 depth it will not be safe to sail in a boat with 1.9m draft.

I guess this will be your mainly limitations in what regards the choice of a boat. Can you clarify better your needs in what regard cruising grounds and depth?

Regards

Paulo
No, no, I am going to have save travels with 2.00m. I am sailing crash-free with a 2.05 HR42 for 15 years...

1.80 would at least extend the selection of harbours (but it will slower the boat)...