Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Take away the motorboats and leave the rest, including the nice looking women.

Faster likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2013

Sea Masters movie: Great sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2013

Nice Girl

Old 02-17-2013

Vendee Globe 2013 - Best off

Faster and BentSailor like this.

Old 02-17-2013

Cruising: Russian Far East

Old 02-17-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hello everybody,

What will be your comments on this boat I find interesting, though the second part of the name does not correspond to its meaning. It is Scandinavian Cruiser 40. The manufacturer is a company named Scandinavian Cruisers Limited founded in 2008 by Nis Lorentzen, a Danish who has spent most of his years working in the USA and China but comes from a boatbuilding family and the NA Eric Sponberg, a Swedish-Amrican. They make 20, 30, 40 and 66 footers, which are daysailors, though named cruisers. I copied (not with big success) the measures of the 40 footer thinking it is in the most popular range. Actually I am not sure that they have built the 40' because I could not find photos, only 3D models, though they certainly have a 20' afloat, which was reviewed by Sail magazine. I could not find information where is the shipyard - Denmark, Poland or China? Does anybody knows more about these boats and in particular about the 30 and 40 footers. It will be interesting also to find out what would be the price, which define as affordable. The base price of the SC20 is 19000€, which is too much for a keelboat weighing only 340 kg of which 170 ballast.

SC 40
L.O.A.:
Waterline length:
Beam:
Freeboard height:
Keel draft:
Shoal draft:
Displacement:
Ballast 50%:
Mainsail:
Jib:
Asym. spinnaker:
11.98 m (39' 4")
7.66 m (25' 2")
2.04 m (6' 7")
0.65 m (2' 1")
1.75 m (5' 9")
0.45 m (1' 6")
2.2 ton (4,800 lbs)
1.1 ton (2,200 lbs)
26 sqm (280 sqf)
11 sqm (118 sqf)
45 sqm (484 sqf)

Regards
Rumen
Old 02-17-2013

Scandinavian Cruisers 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
Hello everybody,

What will be your comments on this boat I find interesting, though the second part of the name does not correspond to its meaning. It is Scandinavian Cruiser 40. The manufacturer is a company named Scandinavian Cruisers Limited founded in 2008 by Nis Lorentzen, a Danish who has spent most of his years working in the USA and China but comes from a boatbuilding family and the NA Eric Sponberg, a Swedish-Amrican. They make 20, 30, 40 and 66 footers, which are daysailors, though named cruisers. I copied (not with big success) the measures of the 40 footer thinking it is in the most popular range. Actually I am not sure that they have built the 40' because I could not find photos, only 3D models, though they certainly have a 20' afloat, which was reviewed by Sail magazine. I could not find information where is the shipyard - Denmark, Poland or China? Does anybody knows more about these boats and in particular about the 30 and 40 footers. It will be interesting also to find out what would be the price, which define as affordable. The base price of the SC20 is 19000€, which is too much for a keelboat weighing only 340 kg of which 170 ballast.

SC 40
L.O.A.: 11.98 m (39' 4")
Waterline length: 7.66 m (25' 2")
Beam: 2.04 m (6' 7")
Freeboard height: 0.65 m (2' 1")
Keel draft: 1.75 m (5' 9")
Shoal draft: 0.45 m (1' 6")
Displacement: 2.2 ton (4,800 lbs)
Ballast 50%: 1.1 ton (2,200 lbs)
Mainsail: 26 sqm (280 sqf)
Jib: 11 sqm (118 sqf)
Asym. spinnaker: 45 sqm (484 sqf)

Regards
Rumen
I remember to have followed this boat when it was announced some years ago and as I did never saw any picture (40ft) I assumed the project was not a successful one.

This is an interesting boat but a pretty extreme one for today's market. It's narrow beam will mean that the boat, except downwind will always sail witha lot of heel, with any meaningful wind and that the lady suntanning would be quickly on the water

It is a sailor's boat on the tradition of old Swedish cruiser, that were very narrow and that's why she is called cruiser, I mean these cruisers:

This is in fact as you point out a daysailer and even the 60ft has not probably standing height:

The boat is nice but I am sure it is expensive and it would be a lot of money for a daysailer and one very selfish, I mean sailors will have fun but the wives or guests should not have much with all that heeling unless they are sailors too.

There are a considerable competition in Europe regarding traditional daysailers even if none as extreme in what regards beam and they are selling well. In Dusseldorf there were several of these boats in exposition and I visited the 10m Safier (2.50m beam), a very nice boat that I already knew from photos.

If I was a bit smaller I could live with the interior, I mean that has not even seating height for me but I would have to be a child to be able to use the head

MOVIE:

Saffier: Der Edelstein unter den Daysailern - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

You can also look at Eagle boats that seem to have a better finnish, if we take as meadure the 20ft:

http://www.leonardoyachts.com/en/eagle-44.html

The boats are narrow but not as narrow as the Scandinavia cruiser The 36ft has 2.58 of beam ans here you have the 44, pretty narrow too, with a 2.76 beam:

I guess that in what regards interior space the same would happen on the 40ft Scandinavian cruiser, that would provide a nice daysailer but not even a decent weekend cruiser.

So in fact the 20ft makes a lot more sense since it offers about the same thing as the 40ft, that has just a bigger cockpit and a cabin but not probably an usable head or galley.

and yes, the boats are made in China

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thanks Paulo!
I did have my suspicions that it was made in China but was not sure. And that SC20 is good for a couple of hours day sailing and anchoring close to the beach with the shoal draft. But I know that it is a lot of hassle to launch and retrieve, to rig and unrig such a boat within one day. On the other hand is it worth to keep a marina berth for it? The better option, in my opinion, is to have a beach catamaran instead or if you want it portable in a package you can go for something inflatables like the Grabner Happy Cat Ultralight or the Vision or some less expensive brands.

Now, we will be waiting for the last sailor to arrive at Les Sables d'Olonne. And what a sailor. He was my favourite, though I new he could not win. Apart for the reason of his boat, being the oldest and the only one with a fixed keel, his background was quite different from that of the other professional racers. One year ago I read his book "Attorno al mondo su una barca di 6.50 m (Around the world on a 6.5 meters boat). He bought the hull of a Mini, made it stronger, closed the cockpit from the stern to increase buoyancy and for wave protection and spent 260 days in this boat doing the non-stop circumnavigation. Being dismasted after a knock-down near Cape Horn, he continued with a jury rig made of the longest 6 m piece of the mast back to Les Sables d'Olonne. I admire this guy not only for his seamanship (for which he was rewarded) but also for his attitude - as if he wants to see how much different is doing the same route on a much bigger boat. I think he would have preferred to do it lonely without the group of the other boats in his own unique non-racing and non-crusing mode, but sponsorship is a must. And I am sure that his reception in Les Sables d'Olonne will not be less impressive than that of the others. Because the French appreciate the good sailors but most of all admire the heroes. And he already proved to be such.
By the way, the book (I have a digital edition), is easy to read and is full of nice photos.

Regards
Rumen
PCP likes this.
Old 02-17-2013

And the Italians beat the Record New York - S. Francisco

Solidini team and the Maserati Vor70 are the owners of the Record for monohulls with just some minutes more than 47 days.

The previous record was an old one with an Open 60 and it was French.

Don't you think it is the time the Americans to have a try at it?

They have a faster and bigger boat (Rambler) why let the Europeans stay with traditional American records? Don't Americans care about that?

This was the record hold by Flying Cloud for more than 100 years (89 days).

Old 02-18-2013

Alessandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post

Now, we will be waiting for the last sailor to arrive at Les Sables d'Olonne. And what a sailor. He was my favourite, though I new he could not win. Apart for the reason of his boat, being the oldest and the only one with a fixed keel, his background was quite different from that of the other professional racers. One year ago I read his book "Attorno al mondo su una barca di 6.50 m (Around the world on a 6.5 meters boat). He bought the hull of a Mini, made it stronger, closed the cockpit from the stern to increase buoyancy and for wave protection and spent 260 days in this boat doing the non-stop circumnavigation. Being dismasted after a knock-down near Cape Horn, he continued with a jury rig made of the longest 6 m piece of the mast back to Les Sables d'Olonne. I admire this guy not only for his seamanship (for which he was rewarded) but also for his attitude - as if he wants to see how much different is doing the same route on a much bigger boat. I think he would have preferred to do it lonely without the group of the other boats in his own unique non-racing and non-crusing mode, but sponsorship is a must. And I am sure that his reception in Les Sables d'Olonne will not be less impressive than that of the others. Because the French appreciate the good sailors but most of all admire the heroes. And he already proved to be such.
By the way, the book (I have a digital edition), is easy to read and is full of nice photos.

Regards
Rumen
I will bet that he is going to have as many people waiting for him as to the first

In fact I followed him in that adventure that you mention and if he never had a chance on this race with a very old boat without canting keel the results were amazingly good. The boat is almost 25% slower than a new one....and that is about the distance he lose to the first group.

Next edition, with what he is going to learn till then, with a new boat, I bet he would be among the first.

I had the opportunity to meet Alessandro in one boat show (Paris? Dusseldorf?) some few years ago. He was there with the mini he took around the world. He is a very simple, humble, smiling guy, the kind of guy that is almost always happy with everything. One of the nicest sailors I ever meet.

You know, that incredible solo non stop mini circumnavigation with a mini, and I say incredible because the guy lose the mast at the middle of it, jury rigged, sailed half the world around like that, and finished as if all was OK to him, is not his only incredible feat.

Before that he done some incredible things with beach cats, like:

Pacific Ocean crossing on a sport open catamaran (from Yokohama, Japan, to San Francisco, USA), over 4,482 miles.

Atlantic Ocean crossing on a sport catamaran (from Las Palmas, Canary Islands, to Pointe à Pitre, Guadeloupe), over 2,700 miles.

2001: First non-stop solo navigation without assistance, from North Italy to Canary Islands, on a sports catamaran, over 1,700 miles.

1992-1993: Double-handed transatlantic navigation from Sicily to Martinique, on a sports catamaran (less than 6 metres long, without a cabin), over 2,300 miles.

I guess that after this race is popularity will increase so much that he will have no trouble in get a sponsor for a better Open 60. The difference was that till here he was best known among sailors that had him in great respect. Now he is well known (and loved) by the General Public and that means that he will get easily Sponsorship and if there is a guy that deserves that it is him.

Cheers

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-18-2013 at 07:21 PM.