Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat, new sailor, that's what I would like!!!

You know one of the good things about brand new sailing boats is that they are not only beautiful (if well chosen) but also they don't need maintenace for some years.

Young sailors are like that too. Not me. I write this on an hospital bed after having a surgery to my nose. Some days before it was to my eye and last year to my two years. Jesus I hate this "maintenance" work for to be in shape for the sailing season

I guess that it will take some time for science to be able to provide me a brand new 21 year's old Paulo clone, ready for downloading my memories to it. Well, my memories in a brand new brain and body, as Smack says, would ROCK

Everything is alright and I am in the same room with my 21 year old son that was operated, just before me, to the same thing. In his case it had not do do with age but with a "manufacture defect". Well maybe mine problem was genetic too but it only started to bother me on the last years.

So guys, this is entirely your thread for some time, cause I will only post occasionally on the next days. Right know I fell like I had got a huge punch on the nose and only in three days I will be more comfortable.... so till then, have fun and provide me with some good posts

Cheers to all,

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: And the Italians beat the Record New York - S. Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Solidini team and the Maserati Vor70 are the owners of the Record for monohulls with just some minutes more than 47 days.

Don't you think it is the time the Americans to have a try at it?
North Americans do this:

Europeans do that:

Is'nt this a good explanation ?

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 02-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: New boat, new sailor, that's what I would like!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You know one of the good things about brand new sailing boats is that they are not only beautiful (if well chosen) but also they don't need maintenace for some years.

Young sailors are like that too. Not me. I write this on an hospital bed after having a surgery to my nose. Some days before it was to my eye and last year to my two years. Jesus I hate this "maintenance" work for to be in shape for the sailing season

I guess that it will take some time for science to be able to provide me a brand new 21 year's old Paulo clone, ready for downloading my memories to it. Well, my memories in a brand new brain and body, as Smack says, would ROCK

Everything is alright and I am in the same room with my 21 year old son that was operated, just before me, to the same thing. In his case it had not do do with age but with a "manufacture defect". Well maybe mine problem was genetic too but it only started to bother me on the last years.

So guys, this is entirely your thread for some time, cause I will only post occasionally on the next days. Right know I fell like I had got a huge punch on the nose and only in three days I will be more comfortable.... so till then, have fun and provide me with some good posts

Cheers to all,

Paulo
Jeez, Paulo... sounds painful. Best wishes for quick recovery and out of the hospital.. for you and your son. Take care...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-18-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hey Paulo, Ya it sucks to get old, get better soon. I'm always sore and had to have some surgery this year. Today I hiked 12.5 miles up a mountain trail to a water fall, trying to get in shape for our next adventure in June. All I could think of was how sore I was but then I started remembering back in the early 1970's sailing in French Polynesia and all those beautiful Island girls with beautiful brown skin and some French blond hair streaked into long dark hair. Where have those days gone I don't know but hopefully you like me have a good memory, one good enough to still keep us with a smile on our faces.

Best to you

Steve and Tracy
Old 02-19-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Get well my friend.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-19-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Get well, soon! Hope to read lots more of your wisdom...
Old 02-19-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road

Paulo, "you are getting better all the time". At least for all of us following this thread and your posts. I remember in some other forums someone called you "young man" because you sound so in all your posts and attitudes. No one would guess your age if did not bother to check your profile. Anyway, maintenance is an issue with old boats and bodies. I hate it in both aspects but I have to get used to it (I have just filled in birth date in my profile). Sailing, however, like drinking good wine, is appreciated better when you are at certain age (I make this comparison because I know you have a taste for fine wines). Just think that this nose operation may improve your scents for fine wines' appreciation.

In order to keep the topic on I would like to post a link on another Scandinavian built boat - Scanner 391, which is not a new one.
Scan Yacht
http://www.scanyacht.se/Download/391.pdf

I would leave Paulo, when he cans and has the time and wish to post his comments and much more...

By the way, Paulo, I still expect your firsthand impressions on the Sly 38, one of the contenders for best performance cruiser at the Dusseldorf show if you think it's worth a post.

Regards
Rumen
Old 02-20-2013

Capado, almost home.

Thanks everybody. Feeling better

New images from Capado, with Adrien and Capucine crossing from South Africa to Brazi l(Cape town - S. Salvador). On a direct line it would be 3332Nm. They have made 4551Nm in 24 days and 17 hours at an average speed of 7,71K. Not bad for a 10m boat loaded for a circumnavigation

QUI SOMMES NOUS? - CAPADO creative boat

Le Voyage de Capado

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2013

Sly 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post

By the way, Paulo, I still expect your firsthand impressions on the Sly 38, one of the contenders for best performance cruiser at the Dusseldorf show if you think it's worth a post.

Regards
Rumen
Yes, I was surprised with the boat of the year award. I was expecting that in the category of Performance boat the winner to be the Grand Soleil 39 or the Sly 38.

Of course I have no doubt that the fact that the Dufout 36p won means that the boat is better than what I initially thought it was and that handicap in what concerns being heavy is somewhat compensated by an excellent balance and a very good feeling at the wheel. I guess the boat had to perform very well to beat the other two but I was also very curious about the main shortcomings they had found on the other boats.

About the Grand Soleil 39, that has a better quality and better cruising interior, compared with the Dufour, I knew already what had happened: They delivered for testing a boat with a mast so badly tuned that they were afraid top test sail the boat with 40k of wind. I guess that is pretty unacceptable and don't say nothing good about the dealer that delivered the boat for testing.

Regarding the Sly I had not heard anything, neither read any test sail. Only saw the boat and found it beautiful with excellent technical characteristics. If there was something that I didn't like it was the transom shape/transition, that looked a bit sharp to me and most of all the interior design. It seemed not inspired and not particularly attractive. But off course I was in a huge disadvantage regarding saying something about the Sly 38. Regarding the other two boats I had not only been aboard as I had read several test sails about each and regarding the Sly 38 I had only saw the photos and the dimensions.

Length overall 11.50 m
Waterline length 10.25 m
Beam 3.70 m
Displacement 2.30 m
Draught 5.500 kg
Ballast 2.125 kg
Surface area of mainsail + jib 106% 85 m2
Mainsail 49 m2
JIB 106% 36 m2
Spinnaker 110 m2
Engine 30 Hp
Diesel tank 120 Lt
Water tank 280 Lt

On a French magazine I read what was the generalized criticism about the boat by most testers: The interior. They talk about an interior that was made to be disassembled for racing (they say they didn't like the "Mecano" interior) but they say also that the boat is very agreeable at the wheel, fast and with a very good hull. they also said that they have managed to get a considerable interior height without making it apparent on the outside shape of the boat

Finally I managed to read a test sail, an Italian one, from Vela, a very good sailing magazine, this one:

http://www.sly-yachts.com/uploads/3b...GdV-Dic-12.pdf

And I know that I would probably love the boat and hate the interior

They say (for the ones that don't read Italian) as main title:

"Better than a go Kart : Fast, amusing and easy to sail. The interior can also be dismounted for racing".

And they give the maximum note in what regards sailing:

On an easy Easy 30° off the wind with 13 knots wind we reached 7.8 knots. The existence of a feet support allows for comfortable sailing without any effort. It's time to enjoy a little downwind sailing.... Even with a spinnaker of contained dimensions, we can safely descend to about 140 ° to the wind and helped by a little waves we reach a peak of 9.5 knots, while maintaining -perfect control of the boat ... I would define the Sly 38 as a "Go Kart" of the sea for its ease of handling and the speed with which it reacts to all the different stresses to which it is subject.

The Sly 38 was also tested by "Vela e Motore"

http://www.sly-yachts.com/uploads/b1...V-M-feb-13.pdf

and on this test they get light winds....and the performance was even better:

I don' see the need to comment that

They said also that the finish was below what is normally offered by Sly. On Sly the apologize and said that was just the prototype and that the production boats would be better.

Well, if they get that interior right, I would not mind to have one

They did not test this boat with a lot of wind but with all the ballast on a torpedo at 2.30 and a B/D ratio of 39% with 3.70m of beam this boat is going to be stiff, powerful, able to carry a lot of sail in a blow and blast against the wind at a tight angle.

This one, with a reasonable tankage, even in standard configuration, will be a fun sailingboat to cruise but also a serious contender on the Sydney-Hobart. Well, it would not be the most luxurious or comfortable cruising boat around but you cannot have it all...and this one offers already a lot in my opinion. What a boat

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road

Regarding the Sly 38: Obviously the best part is the performance -they give it 5 stars. I expected that as an Italian design and built she would have better interiors. In the Vela article they don't criticise the interiors apart from the steep companion way and praise the unique possibility to easily dismantle the interiors thus making the yacht even lighter than she is, being the lightest of all other compared yachts (Grand Soleil 39, Salona 38 and XP 38). I believe that dismantled she will be the fastest of all of them but I doubt this feature will make the average performance cruiser oriented buyer to choose her among the others. Most probably he will prefer the Grand Soleil for the same price or the Salona or the XP if the price is or is not an issue.

Regards
Rumen