Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Salona 33: Better images

The boat looks good, specially with the tiller option. With a basic price of about 100 000 euros, it seems they are making an effort to lower prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013

eehgil is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I must say I absolutely find the Mantra 28 interesting. Like a modern (fast) Vega? A bit strange that a boat that is presented as an offshore (circumnavigation) boat is only category B. But there might be requirements to get the category A that is impossible to furfill for a 28 feet boat?
PCP likes this.

Last edited by eehgil; 02-25-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-25-2013

Mantra 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
I must say I absolutely find the Mantra 28 interesting. Like a modern (fast) Vega? A bit strange that a boat that is presented as an offshore (circumnavigation) boat is only category B. But there might be requirements to get the category A that is impossible to furfill for a 28 feet boat?
Hi. welcome to the thread and to Sailnet.

Yes, you are right regarding category A and I want to say that I am not endorsing a 28ft boat as a bluewater boat and that personally I would be very reticent in crossing the pond in one less even in circumnavigating in one. It obviously can be done and with a reasonable risk margin, since that boat had circumnavigated several time. Happens that to me a reasonable margin is not enough, I want a big safety margin

That does not mean that the Mantra 28 is not a very seaworthy boat for its size and also a well built one. No 28ft boat could survive 4 circumnavigations if it was not a strong and well built boat. I find the Mantra 28 remarkable as a mass production boat but the comparison with the Vega only is valid if, as you say, we consider the time where they were designed : Both are two great answers for the same design criteria separated by 45 years of design and technological improvements.

The Albin Vega is a 1967 design:

It is a narrower boat and a full keeler with a sail area/displacement of 16.5. The Mantra 28 is a modern design, beamier (2.70m to 2.46m), with a modern keel with much more draft ( 1.65m to 1.12m) with almost all the weight in a bulb. It has not only a superior stability as it is much faster. It has also more interior space.

The interior is not its stronger point even if it looks functional:

But look at this Dimensions:

Look at this hull:

MANTRA28 VIDEOS

If I was looking for a small cruiser with offshore capacity I would certainly would go to Poland to look at this one and to know if they cannot do a better job on the interior. Well, I can design it

All the rest seems very good to me in what regards hull design and the very good B/D ratio (36%). I like it and probably the price is an agreeable surprise. Polish boats tend to be not much expensive. Maybe they can tell us about that.

http://www.mantra-yachts.com/prodran...e/brochure.pdf

mY mantra 28

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-25-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice to see a 'smaller' boat featured here.. looks like a winner.. (but not a Winner )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-25-2013

Scandinavia 30

In Dusseldorf there were plenty of Polish small cruisers, most of all I had never heard about. Generally they are designed by Polish NA that many times is the one that build also the boat.

Most of them were well made but not with the offshore vocation of the Mantra 28 and that is the case of the Scandinavia 30.

But if someone is looking for a nice inexpensive coastal small boat with a great interior, well the Scandinavia 30 may well be the answer. It comes as centerboarder or keel boat:

Last edited by PCP; 02-25-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

Oh wow, even I did not know Scandinavia 30 is already in production. Little while back, they only had 26 and 27 - which are somewhat similar.

There is this video on YouTube promoting Polish boat-building industry.

PCP likes this.
Old 02-26-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I am posting a link to an article about one self-made very ugly, but very interesting 12 meter aluminium boat. The owner and manufacturer Ernesto Tross (a German living in Italy and crusing in the Indian Ocean) swears by its seaworthiness and practicality. Essential non-standard features: No mainsail and boom (only fore sails), very aft deckstepped mast that can be lowered and lifted when the boat is on water, three fore stays for three headsails, good ballast in the bilge but no keel (only a centreboard), completely watertight flat deck with a lot of space below. The man claims he can sail up to 50 degrees true wind angle and that in heavy weather the boat behaves well (as far as I understand his only tactic is lying ahull). Without the resistance of the keel (with board lifted) a breaking wave moves the boat sideways instead of capsizing it. There is an interesting article on the boat in the March edition of Giornale della Vela for those who read Italian. The link I am posting is an old one with google translated text.

Regards
Rumen
Old 02-26-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting 28ft boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jesus you guys are really hard to impress
I, for one, am extremely impressed, by both the skill and confidence of the women, and by the performance of the boat. Too bad that I'm not able to understand the Polish commentary, although I did watch all the videos to the end. Now I will certainly be doing more research on this boat, although it is a bit smaller than I would prefer, since I am planning to go double-handed, not solo. However, I'm now thinking that 33-35ft might be adequate, whereas I had been thinking no shorter than 40ft, for speed, safety and comfort.

Please post any print or video reviews of the Mantra 28 if you should come across them (preferably in English, French or Spanish). Thank you very much for posting these inspirational videos.

MrP
Old 02-26-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys!
This is the missing link to post 3896

Google Translate
Old 02-26-2013

eehgil is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantra 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I find the Mantra 28 remarkable as a mass production boat but the comparison with the Vega only is valid if, as you say, we consider the time where they were designed : Both are two great answers for the same design criteria separated by 45 years of design and technological improvements.
My Comparision to the Vega was ment as a comparision more of goals, not technology. Cheap, solid boats with "all you really need" to take "the people" around the world.

Thank you for a fantastic thread!