Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Route du Rhum 2014

Now that I have convinced most of you that the "Vendee Globe" is a fantastic race I would like to convince you that "The Route du Rhum" is not a lesser race. In fact, this one the Vendee and the VOR are my favorite races.

I guess most of you didn't heard about this race.Why is it outstanding? Well, the number of racers, the quality (all the best) and the quality of the boats (the best), I mean the best among solo sailors because this is a solo Transat race that takes place in November each 4 years.

Regarding the number of sailboats, on the lastrace you had almost 90 boats. There are sailraces with a lot more, but none with so many pure top racing boats and so many professional racers. Here the cruiser-racers are a very small minority and in fact they are in the same category of other racing boats that don't fit in the different classes:

This event is open to multihulls and monohulls, which are divided into several classes according to their overall length (LOA):

MULTIHULLS:

ULTIMATE classLOA in excess of or equal to 60 foot without a size limit.

Multi 50 classsuch as those set down in the Multi 50 Class Multihull Rules.

MONOHULLS:

IMOCA class (Open 60's) such as those set down in the IMOCA Rules

Rhum Category LOA between 39' and 59'.

Class 40such as those set down in the Class 40 Rules.

Have a look at the history of the race:

Route du Rhum – La Banque Postale 2014 Official Web site

I guess that it only lacks one thing to this race to be absolutely perfect: An unlimited class to Monohulls.

Anyway it is already pretty crazy an unlimited class for multihulls. Last year Frank Cammas won the unlimited race sailing the giant Groupama trimaran that was used previously to beat the world record circumnavigation, with a big crew. Not even the crew of Groupama thought that it was possible to sail that boat alone. Well, impossible for almost all, not to Frank Cammas.

Last year the other giant trimaran, the one that holds now the World circumnavigation record, Banque Populaire, was prevented to enter since they had mechanical help in what regards winches. I guess this year someone will be mad enough to sail that boat without any help. There are also a new one, Prince de la Bretagne.

Then you have the Open 60's. All the best will be there.

Then you have one of the most spectacular (and dangerous classes) the Multi 50. The boats are very light and powerful without the huge RM of the big trimarans. To race this boats at top level is a sort of acrobatic feat. They are many times on the limit and that is the class with more capsizes and breakage, but also one of the most spectacular.

Then you have the 40class, the one with more boats, at least 25. All the best young sailors will be there.

Then you have the Rhum category that I think it should be open to all class of sailboats over 39ft that don't fit the other classes but that unfortunatelly is limited to monohulls between 39 and 59ft.

The race has a huge tradition (see history on the link above) and teams are already training for the BIG ONE.

Some Images, let's start with that 50ft multihull Class that I find quite incredible (very tricky to sail):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-04-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

Route du Rhum

Probably the class that is more important to the public is the one that is going to finish first in real time, the unlimited multihull class and among those the giant ones. They are not so spectacular as the Multi 50 but it is a huge feat to be able to sail one of those monsters solo. Here are the main contenders:

and a brand new one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2013

Route du Rum 2014

Some very interesting news:

Armel le Cleach the one that finish 2th on the Vendee Globe is going to race (solo) Le Route du Rhum on a Maxi trimaran. Banque Populaire bought Groupama 3 and the one that is going to sail it is Armel. Good luck to him in taming that monster.

Another interesting new, Coville is trying to buy Geronimo. He wants a bigger (34m) and faster boat. If he buys it I believe the boat is going to be modified not only to solo sailing but also in regards a hydrodynamic update. The boat beat in 2004 with Olivier de Kersauson the world circumnavigation record.

Some numbers regarding the race:

Last edition the number of visitants on the race "village": 1 200 000

5000 press articles.

80 tv hours.

Some sponsors talk about a 300% return on the investment.

That's the only way to have a really big race and professional sailors: Having a positive return to the investment of sponsors is a necessary condition for having so many expensive and sophisticated race sailing machines.

Contrary to many other sail races this is not a millionaires race but one among professional racers that race in boats owned by sponsors.

Old 03-05-2013

Route du Rhum

And to finish with this series of posts about the BIG transat, just a few videos more. Some regarding the other two major classes, mono-hulls this time and about the class that is most intended for good amateurs.

About the Open60 class, after the Vendee Globe, I guess that all know what it is about, just to say that all the best are here and that on the race they fought a very informal and unofficial battle against the Multi50 class. When the weather is fine and it is all downwind the 50ft trimarans have no problem to win that battle but when the weather is bad (and that is usual in the first part of the race) and there is a lot of upwind sailing, things get balanced.

When there are bad weather, as last year, it is a lot more easy to drive an Open60 trough heavy seas, even on autopilot. A 50ft trimarans require the skipper to be all times at the rudder or then to slow down a lot. The boat is also more uncomfortable and if care is not taken subject to break more easely.

Last year only the great Escoffier and his beautiful "Crepes whaou" managed (not for much) to beat the first Open60. After that several Open 60 arrived before arrived another Multi50. And that's only half the story because these guys don't like to be overtaken, not even by a bigger monohull, so in the effort to prevent that 2 broke the boats (and both made it home at slow speed) and another one capsized (if I remember it right).

Some movies with Open 60 boats, just three for the ones that don't know what it is about. The first one is an old one, with an older boat but it really gives a pretty good idea why these boats have an advantage in bad weather:

the 40class racers:

About the performance of these babies on Transats it is good to remember the last ARC where a 40class racer with a small crew beat a fully crewed Swan 80 and won the racing class (real time).

And then you have the open class for boats between 39 and 59, a class mostly for amateurs with some Open50 an 40 in the mix. The most interesting thing on this class is to see how cruising boats or modified cruising boats perform against racing boats. Last year we had a modified RM 1350 (without much of the interior) that was making a great race till he was forced to give up with electrical problems and on another edition we had a standard Cigale 16 making a great race.

Now just imagine almost 90 of these animals, all classes together, speeding in a Transat in Novemmber, when the weather is particularly nasty in the North Atlantic and you can imagine the spectacle. Some teasers from the race:

Well, if you are not convinced that this race is a major one and an enthusiastic one, definitively you don't like sailboat racing. If you like it, you can follow the comments here about it. All of the best solo sailors are already focused on this one, trying to find faster boats, looking for sponsors and training. I will keep you guys posted about it because anyway I am going to be informed. I am a big fan of this race

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 03-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2013

Dehler 38

First movie with the Dehler 38 on the water. It looks good even if that large closed transom looks a bit visually heavy to me.

daviid likes this.

Old 03-06-2013

M32 Foiling

They found out that is possible with the actual daggerboards that were not made for that. I will bet that in no time we would have modified daggerboards that will make this boat "fly". That should be a lot of fun

Marstrom M32 - Grey Winter Foiling in Italy with Two Reefs - Team Lööf from Free Productions on Vimeo.

Old 03-06-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
First movie with the Dehler 38 on the water. It looks good even if that large closed transom looks a bit visually heavy to me.

It looks like a nice boat and having sailed older Dehlers extensively, I trust performace is once again better than average.

But I also don't like this trend of bathing platforms that double as a closed transom. I don't think it is any safer and an open transom gives the best possible acces to the sea anyway.

The interior looks very nice and clever, except for the chart table .

These hinged panels hiding the instruments have sharp edges and are very vulnerable when opened. In anything but calm seas, the navigator is going to get hurt by these panels or the panels will be destroyed by the navigator, probably both .

I'm afraid this is a growing trend: designs that look well at boat shows, work well at port or at anchor, but are not seaworthy. It's a pity even a reputated brand such as Dehler seems to pay more attention marketeers than to NA's .

Best regards,

Eric
PCP and daviid like this.
Old 03-06-2013

Re: Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post

The interior looks very nice and clever, except for the chart table .

These hinged panels hiding the instruments have sharp edges and are very vulnerable when opened. In anything but calm seas, the navigator is going to get hurt by these panels or the panels will be destroyed by the navigator, probably both .

I agree with you on that. It is not the chart table per se but that panel. The boat even has good holding points but you are right if someone holds itself on that panel it is going to break. But I guess that sailors are also responsible for a lot of nonsense regarding where they want navigation instruments on a sailboat. In fact today plotters are used mostly on coastal navigation and on coastal navigation it makes sense the plotter near the helmsman. The same with the VHF.

When doing offshore navigation, I mean crossing Oceans everybody uses a laptop for navigation and that is the only kind of navigation where you can be inside the boat for a considerable time. The use of computer is necessary not only to receive and decode Gribs as also to run routing programs.

99% of the boats are used mostly on coastal conditions, even if occasionally sail offshore and that has to be taken in account when designing a standard navigation set up (that eventually can be changed for the few that want a boat mostly for offshore use).

In fact that configuration, that is not only used on the Dehler but on most cruising boats makes no sense but clients still want to have a lot of instruments near the chart table, as if the boat was a ship and the boat was effectively sailed from that place.

Salona is one of the few performance cruisers that have as an option decently designed pods for instruments near the two wheels. They have done that at my request for the 38 I was going to buy. Well, I did not bought the boat but they have used them on the 35. I am not sure if that is a popular option. I guess that many still prefer to have the plotter inside.

Regards

Paulo
daviid likes this.

Old 03-06-2013

Salona 41

Talking about Salona, a test on the 41 by a NZ sailing magazine:

http://www.salonayachts.com/document...%2001-2013.pdf

I love that boat and I know what I am talking about. I sailed one for a week.

And regarding Salona, the 35 has won its first victory on the Hamble Winter Series while the older 34 continues to win, this time in Finland and with incredible results in real time too. The boat was only beaten, and not for much by a X35 (a race boat) beat two other X35, a Finnflyer 36, a A40 and a Finngulf 41 among others and I mean in real time because in compensated it was way ahead of everybody.

http://www.salonayachts.com/document...%20Results.pdf

That should be a hell of a crew and this was not a short race, they had taken about 16 hours to finish it.

Old 03-07-2013

Bay Raider

Some pages back we talked about Drascombe, a sweet old traditional open boat that today is everywhere. Let me talk of another one that is also around the world, a slightly more modern one with a small cabin. I guess with this one a young guy can have a lot of fun and go along the shore a long way. It sails well too.

The boat has very interesting stability characteristics for this kind of boat due to ballast tanks: