Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I was waiting for this boat...I waited so much that I have not money to buy it anymore

What do you think of this one? Too classical? Or do you have, like me, a soft spot for classical designs?

Regards

Paulo
Beautiful. Excellent cruising boat by the look of it. I'm more than happy with classical looks so i'm in total agreement with you mate.

I can't access the website for some reason. Would like to see more.

Cheers

Andrew

ps - cannot find much on the 410 but looking at the older model 400 they are somewhat light on for fuel and water.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 11-12-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: ps added
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Arcona 430

Faster, No, this is just a design...yet. The Designer says that the project was finished late October.

Marty, that's true that Europeans prefer teak decks on cruising boats. On cruising racers not always. Almost all boats come as standard without teak decks, even Halberg-Rassies, but in what regards those it would be hard to find one without a teack deck, that is an option .

Many Arconas out there have not a teak deck, in fact the 430 I have saw in the Dusseldorf boat show had not one.

I guess that I should have posted already about the Arcona 430. It was last year European boat of the year and it is an incredible boat. Traditionally looking, but sharp and fast, with great interiors. As very interesting items, it has the steel grid that I have talked about, a system to absorb shocks in the keel in case of grounding (Keel Pro), the sail locker behind the anchor locker and a smart folding cockpit table device...the rest is very well made, but traditional

I believe that the 410 is going to be even more beautiful. I like better its transom. take a look at the 430:

http://www.arconayachts.se/_cur/nyhe...o_Arcona_B.pdf

http://www.arconayachts.se/_cur/test...n_2009_430.pdf

http://www.arconayachts.com/tests/43...30_Test_ST.pdf

http://www.arconayachts.com/tests/43...30_Test_YW.pdf

Arcona Yachts UK

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Clever..the saillocker forward is a good use of space and it pushes the V berth aft, creating a lot more foot room for a couple. One of my main beefs lately is the V berths pushed so far forward that they come to an actual V at the foot.

The rest is traditional but no less functional.. has one been built yet? I wonder if they're available without teak decking..
I like the interiors better than the older model Dehlers (not including the DS).

That forward locker is I agree a great feature. Sorry to go on about Dehlers so much but it is a feature of them that I like a lot.

Sleeping up front is for me better than down the back but I don't want to be cramed up. That cramped v-berth has been seen a lot, I guess cos it maximises interior space, which invariably translates into more berths. Who needs 'em. Feed six, sleep four when necessary, perfection for two is what this rodent wants.

Not a lot of Arconas for sale second hand, those that are ....whoa mama ....expensive.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I like the interiors better than the older model Dehlers (not including the DS).

Andrews, do you know the Arcona 40 DS?
Old 11-12-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Andrews, do you know the Arcona 40 DS?
Paulo,
No I don't. Didn't know they did a DS.
Will do a search. Sounds pretty interesting.
rgds
Andrew

ps - nothing came back on search...do you have anything Paulo ?

Last edited by tdw; 11-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2010

Arcona 40DS / CR400 Ds

The Arcona 40 DS was a fast boat (for a DS) with great interiors (better than the Dehler, but also more expensive). I believe they stooped production around 2003/2004. The Arcona DS was a match for the CR 400 DS. Also a very fast boat with an even better interior.

I know well both boats, been inside the CR400 DS (and I think also inside the Arcona 40DS) and I can tell you that boat is a very impressive one. The CR 400 DS is still in production. If you look on the web you will find a web page about an owner (I think he is American) that travels a lot and says wonders about the boat, its speed, comfort and seaworthiness.

http://www.cryachts.se/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=88

If you can put your hands on one of those (Cr or Arcona), at an affordable price, you will have no regrets.

I could not find any decent Arcona DS photo on the net, but if you want I can see if I have one.

Regards

Paulo

Regards

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
td... they have a new CR DS 380: Have a look.

http://www.cryachts.se/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=119

Couple of layouts.. I think I'd ask for the galley to be moved to the salon area if that degree of customization is available. I like the larger dinette/aft cabin of the "head forward" option as shown, but not crazy about the linear galley stuck below.

If I'm being picky, it's a bit of a blocky profile... but a pretty nice cockpit for this style of boat and the helm sightlines look pretty good....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-13-2010

Regina de Vindo 35, CR 380 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
td... they have a new CR DS 380: Have a look.

http://www.cryachts.se/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=119

Couple of layouts.. I think I'd ask for the galley to be moved to the salon area if that degree of customization is available. I like the larger dinette/aft cabin of the "head forward" option as shown, but not crazy about the linear galley stuck below.

If I'm being picky, it's a bit of a blocky profile... but a pretty nice cockpit for this style of boat and the helm sightlines look pretty good....
You mean like this?

This is the layout that the Regina 35 uses.

By the way, the Regina 35 is a very nice boat. I prefer its more classic style to the one from the new CR 38:

The Cr 360 can have two layouts:

I agree with you about the second layout, the one that is on the bottom. On that one the galley is in a hole, but on the first one you have a completely open space that includes the saloon and the galley and you have in front a seat and a storage space. I would put a longer seat and a storage (up and under the seat) for books and music, with a removable table to eventually eat some lighter meals.

You can see that on the 40ft, with more space, they use that space for a small space for seating and eventually eating. This way the boat not always look a lot bigger (open space), as you will have the chart table and seat side by side with the saloon and that is interesting, specially with a couple, I mean, it will not isolate the skipper when he is working on charts or on the computer from the wife that is on the saloon.

The Cr 380Ds will be a very fast and seaworthy boat, like its big sister, the 40Ds. The hull design looks a lot more modern than the one from the 40ft and with 6,8T for 75SqM of sail, a 1,72M draft with a 2.9T ballast on a bulb, this is not only going to be a fast boat as a boat with a huge stability, a boat that can carry a big geenaker in light winds and can maintain all its sails up with 20K wind, or more.

I like the looks, even if it is very difficult to design a nice DS with only 38ft:

This boat will be a direct competitor with the Nordship 38, that is also a relatively fast deck saloon, but just to see how the CR will be fast, the Nordship has 9T (with a 3.2T ballast) and carries not much more sail.

Nordship

I had read some 7 years back, a test sail comparison, between the Arcona 40Ds and the 40CR Ds, by the British magazine Yachting Monthly. They were really surprised with the boat's sailing performance. They said those two had nothing in common with the idea of the traditional DS, that in many cases is little more than a motor-sailor. They had said that their performance had more to do with a cruiser-racer, than with a tradicional DS

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2010

Cr 400ds

Hey Andrews, I have found out that link about those guys that sailed a lot on a CR 400DS and have said nice things about their boat (the boat is now for sale):

Photo pages of the our CR Yacht 400DS sailboat

I guess you are going to find out why this was my preferred boat, before I found out about the Luffe 43DS, I mean 6 or seven years back, when the boat I really wanted was a fast DS. Well, If I had the money for a 43DS I would still be interested

The problem with these boats is that for being really good they would have to be hugely expensive. I remember one nice talk with the designer and builder of the CR 40ds about the boat and costs envolved. We where seating inside the boat and I asked him about the safety of those big glass windows (real glass).

He said he used bullet prof glass instead of lexan (plastic) because lexan scratches easily and those kind of windows will get pretty ugly in some years. He said that he used stainless steel strong frames for safety reasons instead of aluminum ones and I remember quite clearly that he have said that only the saloon windows and the frames cost him more than the 55hp Volvo-penta saildrive . This had give me some clues about the reason the boat was so expensive. I guess the rest of boat is made with the same care as the windows, at least it looks that way

Regards

Paulo

PS- Look here, perhaps this interests you:

Locate the Mad Dogs / The Mad Dogs, Exploring to Inspire...

They say the next trip is to Australia...and they want to sell their boat, that is very well equipped .

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Fast, Paulo,
Great stuff. I'm off to a course today so won't be around. Will add comments tomorrow or this evening our time.
Cheers
Andrew