Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Saare 41AC

The Magazine "yacht" tested the new Saare 41 AC and I guess that it would be difficult to said better about the boat:

"Excellent sailing characteristics and high quality development - the twelve-meter yacht from Estonia is a true alternative to the established, traditional Scandinavian brands."

They forget to say that the boat costs less than the other Scandinavian boats and that would be important for some. certainly a boat to look at if the ideal boat is a Halberg-Rassy. They also have a CC version.

The interior:

SaareYachts.com - Saare 41ac - 360

SaareYachts.com - Saare 41ac - 360

I never sailed the boat but I like very much the design parameters:

The boat has a moderated beam (3.92m) a moderated draft (2.00m) a modern bulbed keel with a high B/D ratio (40%) and a considerable rocker (not a flat hull). That high B/D ratio permits it to compensate the bigger hull form stability of a HR 412 (beam 4.15m, B/D ratio 36%) but gives it a better reserve stability.

It has a very good stability curve. This one is from the 41cc, the one from the 41ac would be better since the boat has the same ballast but weights less 700kg. It will have an even higher AVS and a smaller inverted stability and this curve has already a big AVS and a very small inverted stability area. The proportion between the positive area and the negative are is also excellent. Only the max GZ reflects that more moderated beam. The GZ at 30º is almost the same:

The boat is considerably lighter than a HR (9800kg to 11000kg). This does not make the Saare specially light for a 41 ft. A performance 41ft will weight about 2000kg less.

Being lighter and with less beam the Saare 41 needs less sail area than the HR: It carries upwind 86m2 and the HR 90m2, both boats with jib. With less 4m2 of sail but also with less 1200kg and less beam, the Saare will be faster in most conditions. Better and more comfortable upwind and will have also a better reserve stability. The HR will sail with a bit less heel and will be just a bit more steady downwind.

I find the Saare more elegant, in fact, very elegant in a classic sort of way. In fact I like a lot this boat.

Have a look at the HR and its stability curve, also a good one.

bjung likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2013

Sailing news:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hey Paulo, can you tell me why the Salona 33 is heavier than the 35?
Old 03-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Hey Paulo, can you tell me why the Salona 33 is heavier than the 35?
The weight is not very different because the 33 hull is the one from the 35 shortened but they give 4.950 kg for the 33 and 5300 kg for the 35. What do you mean?

Technical data - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-16-2013

Malo 37

The boat has some years but it is a new test sail from YachtingMonthly

Sure, everything is perfect, the interior is great...but the boat is slow and a bit fat, I mean regarding the freeboard and the global look. i am sure the classic version will look a lot better even if it is a pain to get aboard from the water.

I guess that the HR 372 is just a better boat: Lighter, stiffer, carrying more sail, faster and for what they say regarding pointing, also better upwind.

other interesting options, a bit more sportive but all with great quality cruising interiors would be the Arcona 370 the Finngulf 37 the Swedstar 37, the Finnflyer 36 the Salona 38 and some more:

Last edited by PCP; 03-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2013

Collection: Knock downs

Last edited by PCP; 03-17-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2013

New Alubat Cigale 18

After the Cigale 16:

Alubat is presenting the new Cigale 18. An even more beautiful boat and a boat that can be sailed with a short crew or even solo. This is a boat that have received all the knowledge from the solo Open60 in what regards easy of use and solo sailing, a very fast boat for a cruising one, made of aluminium and pointed clearly (as the Cigale 16) to long range voyaging. It has a huge garage for a dinghy

I guess that for this boat (and the Cigale 16) to be perfect it would only need a version with a swing keel, the same type used on the POGO. Than we would have a boat with all the RM and added stiffness provided by a very low CG (as it is already now) provided by a deep ballasted keel but with the possibility of taking shelter anywhere and entering all those little traditional old ports that many times have only 1.5/1.8 m of water.

I guess that they will develop one version like that. They announced a draft of 2.85m and that limits a lot the boat in what regards draft. The designer, Marc Lombard, has developed a swing keel system (similar to the one developed initially by Finot) a system that is already used on some of his designs, like for instance the Wauquiez Opium 39. It seems to me that it would make all sense to have it on this boat.

And as it seems that type of bulbed ballasted swing keel can be applied to big yachts. Here a beautiful Lombard design for a 105fter that uses the system:

Old 03-18-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road

Paulo,

I haven't been checking in lately and just read you and your son were in the hospital. I wish you both a speedy recovery and better health.

Regards,
paul
Old 03-18-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The weight is not very different because the 33 hull is the one from the 35 shortened but they give 4.950 kg for the 33 and 5300 kg for the 35. What do you mean?

Technical data - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo
I have been to the german distributor's page and they say 4900 for the 35 and 4950 for the 33, but they are supposed to be wrong...

Salona 33 - Salona Yachts - Texhnixhe Daten
Technische Daten Salona 35
Old 03-18-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Malo 37

The revamped Malo 37 appears "cheapened", compared to the older model. Not a lot of changes, just ways to make the bottomline better for Malo. No more traveller, cabin portlights are no longer openable and accordingly ventilation will suffer immensely, especially in the aft cabin with only one opening porthole to the cockpit. These are not improvements on the boat, only improvements on the bottomline, which I must say is sad. Whatever happened to all the work Nigel Calder did with Malo on electric propulsion and hybrid systems? I have always liked Malo Yachts for their outstanding build quality and seakindly designs, but I guess the pressure is on to build a cheaper boat and improve the bottomline.