Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Futuna Explorer 54

Bob Perry reviewed this yacht in Sailing Magazine/ April 2013. Another option for those who are looking for a purpose built offshore aluminium cruiser with retractable centreboard. With an SA/D of 20.54 and a D/L of 173 this yacht should be moving along quite well.
Aluminum sailboat for expedition and round the world sailing voyage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo,

I haven't been checking in lately and just read you and your son were in the hospital. I wish you both a speedy recovery and better health.

Regards,
paul
Thanks Paul

Almost fully recovered now. Tomorrow I will take out the last stitches

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I have been to the german distributor's page and they say 4900 for the 35 and 4950 for the 33, but they are supposed to be wrong...

Salona 33 - Salona Yachts - Texhnixhe Daten
Technische Daten Salona 35
Probably or they gave asked for their basic models (33 and 35) to have different basic specifications. As you know Salona can customize the boats and offer them in different versions: Hull more light (epoxy), more ballast or lighter interior (Basalt for bulkheads and lighter furniture).

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013

Re: Malo 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
The revamped Malo 37 appears "cheapened", compared to the older model. Not a lot of changes, just ways to make the bottomline better for Malo. No more traveller, cabin portlights are no longer openable and accordingly ventilation will suffer immensely, especially in the aft cabin with only one opening porthole to the cockpit. These are not improvements on the boat, only improvements on the bottomline, which I must say is sad. Whatever happened to all the work Nigel Calder did with Malo on electric propulsion and hybrid systems? I have always liked Malo Yachts for their outstanding build quality and seakindly designs, but I guess the pressure is on to build a cheaper boat and improve the bottomline.
It has to do with price but not only. The traveler on that position is difficult to use and I bet most Malo owners or the ones that have similar travelers, that are anyway very small, don't use them so the next steep is a fixed one. As a tendency you are having decent big travelers near the wheel (for more fast cruisers) and no travelers or very small travelers over the cabin or in an arch.

Regarding openings that is also a tendency. You cannot have a interior with more light and a good outside view with the traditional opening small portlights. They have tried (not Malo but several brands) huge opening port-lights but leaking problems have increased dramatically. So they choose what public wants: more light at a cost of some ventilation loss and if they can cut on the price, even better.

I am no saying that I do not agree with you just trying to view it on their perspective. In fact I prefer a big traveler near the wheel but the ones that want that would not buy this boat but (with identical quality interiors) a Finngulf 37 or a Arcona 370 and those have all the items that makes a sailor that likes sailing as much as cruising happy.

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-18-2013

Re: Futuna Explorer 54

Quote:
Bob Perry reviewed this yacht in Sailing Magazine/ April 2013. Another option for those who are looking for a purpose built offshore aluminium cruiser with retractable centreboard. With an SA/D of 20.54 and a D/L of 173 this yacht should be moving along quite well.
Aluminum sailboat for expedition and round the world sailing voyage

We had already talked about the Futuna yachts on this thread:

Interesting Sailboats

Futuna are designed by Marc Lombard and the Fotuna Explorer 54 does not look like a Marc Lombard design

Sure, the boat looks nice and adapted to its use but hardly innovative. it seems that I had already saw that design somewhere . The only innovative thing the boat has I don't like it, I mean a forward movable canard. It just don't makes sense on this kind of boat:

The ballast seems also a bit on the short side. They don't show the stability curve and I would like to see it. I don't think the AVS is much bigger than 110ļ. I don't like also the dingy on Davits.

This is more the type of hull Marc Lombard would design (in fact it is a M. Lombard design):

The shape of the hull seems not very dissimilar in what regards seeing it from above but look at the shape of the transom. On these boats where hull stability is a fundamental part in what regards stability for sailing it makes all the sense this type of transom that not only increase stability as also limits sailing angles. The hull of the Explorer is round and allows for much more heel angle:

But for what? this boat does not have a deep draft with the ballast down where heeling increases a lot RM. This kind of transom on this boat will only make it less stable, not more.

Well the explanation is simple after all: This is not a Marc Lombard design but a Bernard Nivelt one.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-18-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Regarding openings that is also a tendency. You cannot have a interior with more light and a good outside view with the traditional opening small portlights. They have tried (not Malo but several brands) huge opening port-lights but leaking problems have increased dramatically. So they choose what public wants: more light at a cost of some ventilation loss and if they can cut on the price, even better.
Sorry, but I cannot agree that more light has to impede ventilation. HR and X Yachts have no problem building boats with larger portholes than the Malo 37 and they are openable. Even Hanse and Bavaria think it is important to have good ventilation, and continue to have openable portlights.
If Malo really wants to bring down its price point, how about a teak free deck. It would not only save about $15k, or more, but also make resale easier, and keep the deck, the bottom of your feet, and the interior cooler.
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Sorry, but I cannot agree that more light has to impede ventilation. HR and X Yachts have no problem building boats with larger portholes than the Malo 37 and they are openable. Even Hanse and Bavaria think it is important to have good ventilation, and continue to have openable portlights.
If Malo really wants to bring down its price point, how about a teak free deck. It would not only save about $15k, or more, but also make resale easier, and keep the deck, the bottom of your feet, and the interior cooler.
I don't think it has to do with bringing the prices down, at least in boats as expensive as Malo. It has to do with bringing more light to the interior and to the inefficacy of big opening lateral portholes in what regards being water tight.

Malo have tried them with not great results:

Halberg Rassy has tried, the results are not very good, particularly after some years of use and they are still using them:

Bavaria has tried them with bad results:

And went again on the less expensive cruising line for more efficient smaller opening portholes:

But one the more expensive vision and on the top of the cruising range, on the new 56 they went for the solution that seems to mark the contemporary tendency: Lots of illumination and views and the lateral ventilation assured by some opening portholes (specially the one over the galley and the opposed one) that are only a small area of all openings, :

I bet Bavaria will use this concept on all future boats from the cruising range.

The same happens for instance with Solaris or the Xp series:

I think that those big opening portholes are a bad solution since they will have always problems in what regards being watertight, if not when the boat is new, quite rapidly. You can have boats with traditional smaller portholes or boats with lots of light and outside views... but not both.

You have an intermediate solution, one that possibilities the views and the lateral ventilation one that provides lateral opening portholes but only on a small area of all the area that provides views and illumination.

I had boats with the two solutions and I prefer the last one. A boat needs on the saloon lateral ventilation, specially over the galley but most ventilation comes from the big deck hatches.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-19-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

wopalx is on a distinguished road

Our old X37 had inward opening portholes and never leaked. Also having them open inwards meant you were not impeded moving around on deck when they were open.

Our XP38 has outward opening portholes. Have had a few leaks but the dealer indicated the seals need regular cleaning, we will see. I just think as they are made 100% in plastic they cannot dog down as tight as the older style. Worst thing is they do impede walking around on the deck as they make very good "shin skin" removal devices if your not careful.

Overall though I would prefer to have them opening than not, especially in warmer climates such as Australia.
Old 03-19-2013

Transat Bretagne-Martinique 2013

I have been busy and had not time to post about this one.

The ones that like solo racing in small ocean going boats (FigaroII) will love this Transat since 15 very good solo racers are in a big fight for the leadership with many close to it. There are two main strategic options and two groups following them:

Transat Bretagne Martinique 2013

Site Officiel de la Transat Bretagne Martinique 2013

they had already got heavy winds over the Biscay Golf (over 30K) and more heavy winds are on the way and that makes those different options specially important.

Clip de lancement de la Transat Bretagne... por transatbretagnemartinique

Un prologue AG2R LA MONDIALE musclé !!! por transatbretagnemartinique

Le départ de la Transat Bretagne Martinique por transatbretagnemartinique
One likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 03-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopalx View Post
Our old X37 had inward opening portholes and never leaked. Also having them open inwards meant you were not impeded moving around on deck when they were open.

Our XP38 has outward opening portholes. Have had a few leaks but the dealer indicated the seals need regular cleaning, we will see. I just think as they are made 100% in plastic they cannot dog down as tight as the older style. Worst thing is they do impede walking around on the deck as they make very good "shin skin" removal devices if your not careful.

Overall though I would prefer to have them opening than not, especially in warmer climates such as Australia.
Thanks for the input. In fact in the Xp 38 not all portholes open but the ones that open are quite big. I guess that will not solve any problem regarding being watertight.

Regarding opening to the outside besides the disadvantage that you have refereed they seem to have two advantages: More solid in case of extreme force and will get some protection against rain not only preventing it to enter but not allowing the water to drip along them to the inside if the boat.

The disadvantage you refer would not be a disadvantage for me. I only open them on the marina or at anchor. If I open them while sailing, sooner or later water will come in because I will forget to close them when the wind picks up.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.