Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Bretagne-Martinique

Transat Bretagne Martinique 2013

In 12 hours, along the night, most of those solo sailors will be sailing their small 35ft light sailboats close upwind in a bad sea with winds over 30K. What a night Wish them all luck.

What a race

Yann Eliès (Groupe Quéguiner – Leucémie Espoir): "I'm a little tense. It will be pretty tough, that's for sure. It is important to immediately get into the race and not delay. You need to get into a good rhythm because as soon as you go out through the bottleneck at the mouth to Brest harbour, you'll be into a large sea. There won't be any time to get our sea legs. The problem is that there is a fairly complex weather system. It will be quite stormy and we must be dynamic and opportunistic from the outset, consider this early part of the race like a leg of the Solitaire du Figaro Eric Bompard cashmere."

Fred Duthil (Sepalumic): "It will be necessary to push hard from the outset especially as there is a choice between heading west or going south to bypass the anticyclone and that is not so simple today. We'll have to make a decision quickly thought, as soon as tonight maybe. I think we'll be heading out into 35 knot gusts, so we will be directly into it and it will be time to find out if you can face it for the next ten days or not. The route is less complicated further on as we head down the eastern side of the high, not far from the Canary Islands."

and a girl, on his first Transat, a Norwegian:

Kristin Songe-Moller (Sponsor Me): "Going into my first transatlantic race, the weather is complicated and hard and is not easy to understand. This week, it felt like I was running around in all directions, unable to do whatever I wanted to finish. I am preparing myself for a hard few days and I'm feeling a lot of stress because my goal is to really get to the finish. My boat is not as well prepared as the favourites and my sails are already worn, so I have to protect them for as long as possible. It would be catastrophic for me not to make it to Fort-de-France. I have put all my savings into taking part in this race. I cannot imagine giving up."

Figaro Transat Bretagne-Martinique 2013 start | The Daily Sail

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013

Elan 400

The boat looked good and it seems Rob Humphreys got it right. The boat was tested in very demanding conditions by Yacht magazine and they say:

.. "The test shows that in strong winds the average-equipped boat with two rudders has a considerable performance potential and a very balanced sailing performance."

very German, but also very concise.

I have already posted about the boat and said that the interior looked better than on the first photos. The only thing I don't like is a smaller galley than average and specially the fact that on the 2 cabin version they didn't took the possibility to increase it. A pity on a boat that is a very interesting one and could be a better cruising boat if that was taken into account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-20-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

America's Cup

Great images of Oracle flying low, foiling at 40K:

Beautiful but that landing from 40K is quite violent and the boat almost dig a floater on the water. I wonder what would happen if that landing was on a wave? It would be a lot more violent for sure and that floater would be able to bring the boat up or the speed would push it down?. These are boats to sail out of protected waters and the rules (of I am not mistaken) talk about 30k as acceptable boundaries to sail. They seem pretty fragile to me and I never saw them sailing out of flat waters. Very curious about all this

Last edited by PCP; 03-21-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2013

crassius is on a distinguished road
Allures 39.9 Hull No. 1

I am not allowed to post linline pictures yet, so hopefully a couple attached will display.

This is Allures 39.9 Hull Number One in the water for the first time.

Its at the top of my list for next boat as I need the shallow draft (3.48 feet), for Chesapeake and Bahamas sailing and I must have aluminum hull this time around.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-allures-39-1-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-allures-39-2-.jpg  

Last edited by crassius; 03-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

Re: Allures 39.9 Hull No. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
I am not allowed to post linline pictures yet, so hopefully a couple attached will display.

This is Allures 39.9 Hull Number One in the water for the first time.

And,

Some design sketches....

Its at the top of my list for next boat as I need the shallow draft (3.48 feet), for Chesapeake and Bahamas sailing and I must have aluminum hull this time around.
Welcome to sailnet and particularly to this thread. Yes the Allures 39.9 will be a great boat to sail the Bahamas. The 40 was already great and this one is just a bit better and if the quality of the interior I saw on the 45 is maintained on this boat, it would not have only a better sailing performance but it would be also a great value for the money. I was really impressed with the quality and price of the 45 I saw in Dusseldorf.

As you probably know I have already posted about the Allures 39:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
and continuing talking about voyage boats, Allures announced in the Paris boat show the Allures 39.9 that is going to replace the 40 that was a very successful boat and I bet this one is even more. The design is a knock out

Absolutely beautiful, considering that is much more difficult to design a good looking 40ft boat than a 45, this boat is even more beautiful than the 45.

This is a Berret/Racopeau design and it is not only the boat that looks gorgeous the hull design seems great too as well as the interior. It seems that I am too enthusiastic about this boat, but what can I say, I love the design

The dimensions seem also correct to me. This is a beamy boat to take advantage of hull stability (4.15m) it will go probably well upwind with a centerboard with a draft of 2.75m. That's huge for a 40ft. The boat will have also a good AVS and a good overall stability, since they made the deck in composite to put the weight down and have a good B/D ratio (39%).

The boat is a bit on the heavy side (10 900kg) but on small centerboarders with all the ballast inside a very light boat don't seem a good idea to me so even the weight seems right to me. Even so the boat weights less than the also new Halberg Rassy 412.

Regards

Paulo
opc11 likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 03-21-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

Sapwraia is on a distinguished road
Re: Allures 39.9

Hi - we're thinking the 39.9 might be the long term boat for us too; ticks so many important boxes and very competitive pricing (ready to sail but minus some desirable options is half the price of what HR are quoting for their "fully loaded plus" demo 412 Not sure about the way they like to use plastic teak decking though. Looking forward to a sail on their demo boat this summer.

Just looking back at the discussion on Malo - the surprise for me is that they're still screwing & plugging the teak decks. That's crazy - if you need a teak veneer deck why drill 1,000+ holes in a brand new waterproof hull - other premium manufacturers are gluing with good results these days.

cheers
Old 03-21-2013

crassius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Hi - we're thinking the 39.9 might be the long term boat for us too; ticks so many important boxes and very competitive pricing (ready to sail but minus some desirable options is half the price of what HR are quoting for their "fully loaded plus" demo 412
I was pleasently surprised by the quote I was given as well, when I had in my mind Garcia, French Labor costs etc.

At twice the price, I would custom build and get exactly what I want for that much...

Quote:
Not sure about the way they like to use plastic teak decking though. Looking forward to a sail on their demo boat this summer.
I will have to see this plastic stuff in person to make a sound judgment... and talk to Owners with experience of the stuff. Sounds terrible on its surface, but maybe it has redeeming qualities.
Old 03-21-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Crassius and sapwraia,

Do you know how long the waiting list is for the Allures until building would begin if you ordered one? I had a 6 month wait on our Boreal until building began then another 18 months before completion.

You are right about the price when you look at what you get. I do not know why anyone would pay the price for the HR when there are better built boats for almost half the cost. HR's are good boats but way over rated to many.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Hi - we're thinking the 39.9 might be the long term boat for us too; ticks so many important boxes and very competitive pricing (ready to sail but minus some desirable options is half the price of what HR are quoting for their "fully loaded plus" demo 412 Not sure about the way they like to use plastic teak decking though. Looking forward to a sail on their demo boat this summer.
cheers
Please give us a feedback on that test sail

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post

I will have to see this plastic stuff in person to make a sound judgment... and talk to Owners with experience of the stuff. Sounds terrible on its surface, but maybe it has redeeming qualities.
You can trust me: It looks good. Now in what regards UV and duration I don't know. The product is this one:

Wilks Dek-King

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.