Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Well I really like the look of the Regina, and with a galley up it might even pass Laurie's inspection. I looked up Regina 40 DS on yachtworld and the price of a new one is - gulp - over $3 mil. Someone please tell me this is a misprint, please. Not that I'm in the market at all, but I'm glad to see some fairly traditional looking DS's being offered because the newer straight, angular designs just don't do anything for me I'm afraid (a sweet shear makes the boat). Does anyone know if it's possible in these pseudo pilothouses :-)) to at least get engine controls at the nav station (throttle & gear shift) since I don't see a spot for a wheel?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Nordship 36DS

I had already talked about the Nordship 36, but as we are talking now about similar boats, it makes sense to put them all together. So, I have deleted the previous post about the Nordship 36 and I will post it here, with more information.

The Nordship 36 is an amazing boat with just the needed space for a couple to live aboard. It is also a relatively fast boat and an oceangoing one.

But if you don't have to believe me, you can just see what I mean

Look at the interior:

Nordship

Look at how she sails:

Nordship 36 DS - YACHT: YACHT tv

Of course if you want a faster boat and the luxury of space you can have the 38. It is amazing what can be made on a 38ft boat. They managed to even put a small space for reading and to watch videos and television.

Well, and there is the 40...that is just too big for a couple and some occasional guests and also a lot more expensive. Seriously, the 40 is good, but the 38 is just a better design and the one that designed it said to me that both boats sail at about the same speed...so, why pay a lot more?

Nordship

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2010

Regina 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Well I really like the look of the Regina, and with a galley up it might even pass Laurie's inspection. I looked up Regina 40 DS on yachtworld and the price of a new one is - gulp - over $3 mil. Someone please tell me this is a misprint, please. Not that I'm in the market at all, but I'm glad to see some fairly traditional looking DS's being offered because the newer straight, angular designs just don't do anything for me I'm afraid (a sweet shear makes the boat). Does anyone know if it's possible in these pseudo pilothouses :-)) to at least get engine controls at the nav station (throttle & gear shift) since I don't see a spot for a wheel?
Nobody is using an inside wheel anymore, but all of these boats can have an inside joystick that will do the same job without taking the space the wheel would require.

Regarding the Regina 40, are you saying $3 millions? That's a mistake, the boat is expensive but not that much

It costs about 350 000 euros (without Vat).

That's a very nice boat. Have you seen this video?:

It sails also much better than older Regina. All you need is 10k wind and thats enough to turn the engine off and sail away

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2010
Courtney the Dancer

I assumed it was a mistake Paulo, but these days you just never know. With an autopilot station at the inside "helm" you can steer but I would want to be able to at least throttle down and shift to neutral or reverse from inside. We have way too many logs in the water here that are almost invisible until you are right on them. Beautiful boats, I don't see many grab rails on the overhead in them and I wonder how you manage to get from one place to another inside some of these when it's rough. Maybe I'm just not seeing them.

Old 11-13-2010

Jrd22, you can have a joystick and a throttle and shift to neutral or reverse command, similar to the one that you have outside. Sorry if I was not clear. That's an option, but lots of people mounts them. If you are going to use the boat in bad or cold weather makes all the sense

Regarding grab rails, on the Nordship 38 saloon picture, look at the main table and to the chart table. There are also lots of places where the wood is worked to form an handrail, but you cannot see it on the picture. But this is the kind of boat where if you are not satisfied with the ones that are provided, they will put them where you want them. The owner of the boatyard is also the boat designer and a very enthusiastic sailor that is proud of his work and of his boats. He is a very nice guy that makes a point into satisfying clients in all their needs.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-13-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2010
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
That Regina 35 just finnish me off

I knowed better Idid Idid
Old 11-14-2010

BenMP is on a distinguished road
That Nordship is beautiful. You are making if difficult to be content with my budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2010

nemier is on a distinguished road
I've got HUGE dreams Paulo! And your posts have a lot to do with that!
Old 11-14-2010
Courtney the Dancer

It's amazing how much room they can design into a 36. I would guess that the Nordship 36 probably feels larger than my 40' PH inside with a similar layout (we don't have an aft stateroom, it's forward of the main salon on the port side). It's hard to tell but I'm wondering how much storage room there is on either the Nordship or the Regina. I assume they are not stick built so would the liner restrict access to a lot of areas behind and under settees, counters, etc? I've never been on a new boat to poke around and check that out. If anything, we have too much storage space (really).

Old 11-14-2010

Sirius 35DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
.. I assume they are not stick built so would the liner restrict access to a lot of areas behind and under settees, counters, etc? I've never been on a new boat to poke around and check that out. If anything, we have too much storage space (really).
One of the things that differentiate these boats from big production boats is the care with detail. These boats are normally boats built for many years by the same guy, that is most of the time also the designer and have an almost familiar relation with their clients. Many of them have already bought several boats along the years and they contribute with ideas about design interior and has the average buyer is not a marina sailor, but a real cruiser, those ideas are many times very good ideas, that are incorporated into the design.

When you buy one of those boats you are not only experiencing the knowledge of the guy that design the boat, but also the accumulated experience of many cruisers that have contributed to improvements on the boat.

Answering your question, yes, you can count that any inch of available space on those boats have a use. It could not be the use you would give it, but then the builder (that is also the designer) would be very interested in hear your ideas and into incorporated them in your boat. And he would be interested because he would recognize in you an experienced cruiser and know than its boats has been improved along the years with the contributions of many experienced cruisers.

I don't know if you are following this thread from the beginning, if not I think that you would be interested into looking to the first posts about the Sirius, also DS sailing boats. In what regards the use of each inch of space they are very hard to beat Take a look:

Sirius 35 DS - YACHT: YACHT tv

And they are also among the ones that incorporate more ideas from their clients...actually their new 43ft is being designed with the active colaboration of their clients and future clients

Sirius-Werft Plön | 35 DS | Philosophy

Interesting Sailboats

For the ones that already know the Sirius 35, their 360º pictures are already on line:

Sirius-Werft Plön | Cockpit/Saloon | 35 DS Cockpit/Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Saloon | 35 DS Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower | 35 DS Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower

Sirius-Werft Plön | Forecabin/Head | 35 DS Forecabin/Head

Sirius-Werft Plön | Technic Room | 35 DS Technic Room

And some interesting sailing tests:

http://www.sirius-werft.de/phpwcms/p...on%20final.pdf

This one is in German, but has it is from my favorite boat magazine I will post it (and in the next link a translation):

http://www.sirius-werft.de/phpwcms/p...rius_35_DS.pdf
http://www.sirius-werft.de/phpwcms/p...n%20fertig.pdf

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.