Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thanks for the videos. They truly are beauties to behold!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Circumnavigating on a 22ft light and fast sailboat:

You know all that jazz regarding being needed an heavy slow boat to do long range voyage because you need to carry a lot of stuff and then a light boat is not light anymore and it is slow and so on...Well some cannot imagine that a circumnavigation cannot be made other way than the way they would choose to do it and even think that a Pogo 12.50 is too small and light to do that with any comfort

These guys are doing it on an used 6.5m mini and they seem quite happy with their comfort and the boat is not even a performance cruiser but an adapted racing mini.

Total Budget: 36 800 euros. Price of the boat: 16 000 euros

Good winds and fair weather to Alexandre and Florian:

EricKLYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

"Bonne Chance" to Alexandre and Florian. I've subscribed to the YouTube channel. Is there anywhere a link to a GPS tracker, to follow their course and progress ?
Old 03-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
"Bonne Chance" to Alexandre and Florian. I've subscribed to the YouTube channel. Is there anywhere a link to a GPS tracker, to follow their course and progress ?
No but you can comunicate with them, they are on the facebook:

DEFI Voile 6.50 | Facebook

Their last post was about an inspection that was made to the boat by the authorities for passing the Panama Channel. They passed the inspection but:

They will have to have 6 persons aboard, they will have to rent a chemical toilet, they have to rent a more powerful engine (outboard) and they have to enter a huge caution just in the case if they will provoke any traffic disruption

They have also a site:

ideesdumonde.org | Promotion des initiatives sociales et solidaires

Regards

Paulo
FinallySailing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Paulo !
Old 03-31-2013
Always tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Their last post was about an inspection that was made to the boat by the authorities for passing the Panama Channel. They passed the inspection but:

They will have to have 6 persons aboard, they will have to rent a chemical toilet, they have to rent a more powerful engine (outboard) and they have to enter a huge caution just in the case if they will provoke any traffic disruption
With a boat of their size, I'd be considering getting it trailered or put into a container and have it transported by land.
Old 03-31-2013

One....sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
With a boat of their size, I'd be considering getting it trailered or put into a container and have it transported by land.
Yes, I guess you are right, it would certainly be less expensive...but not as fun

One, the "name" you have chosen as a member remembers me Onesails, a top Italian sail brand. So, I guess it is a good opportunity to talk about some of their innovations and research.

An interesting one is a wing sail, but not a rigid one:

Another interesting innovation are millenium sails: They are laminated but they don't use glue or resins.

OneSails Sailmakers - The Next Generation of Sails

OneSails Sailmakers - The Next Generation of Sails

They give a two years warranty against delamination on racing boats and three years on cruising boats.

I saw the sails for the first time when I tried the Salona 38. They have them as an option and they surely look good and work well. Time will tell if the durability they advertise (not the warranty time, they say that they will last much longer) will prove true.

Lot's of top boats are using them and I don't resist to pass this movie with a wally 80. Beautiful boat, beautiful sails

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-31-2013
Always tired

I'm not really interested in wing sails on a boat of mine, although it is an interesting concept, being able to reef it and everything.

I like the OneSails, well, sails. Especially the ones with the taffetta coverings, giving them a golden colour. If I was a racing sort of chap, I would probably go for the uncovered, but that tech is really interesting, even for a tosser like me who just enjoys big weather and having fun in waves. As a concept I think they're on to something that will take the cruising and racing world with storm. I mean, it would be possible to make a lighter sail, yet stronger than most anything out there with their method. And who doesn't like to have less weight up on top, and to have them strong enough to withstand most anything (well, for a non-racer like myself, anyway)?

For others who might join in, I can categorically state that not only do I have no connection whatsoever with OneSails, I had never heard of them until PCP posted the above links.
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 04-01-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Transat Bretagne-Martinique

Quote:
Those are really bad news. She wanted so much to finish that race

She had invested everything on that boat. Really sad for her.

Nice to see that someone else is following the race:

Transat Bretagne Martinique 2013

It seems that after two big storms they have now an easy way to America. The race has been great. I am a fan of Tabarly, the one that is currently in third. He is the descendant of a great family of professional sailors and I would love to see him raise to that very exclusive first division, racing with the best, on Open 60.

Regards

Paulo
Kristin has arrived safely at Lagos.
From her facebook page Kristin Songe-Møller | Facebook

Quote:
Patience... it's Easter and difficult to get hold of people. I'm going to go through my engine today, so it's ready if I have to motor the 1000 nm back to Camaret. My insurance company is not too keen on that idea... so I might be able to get my boat on a truck. I don't know. Hopefully I'll know more of what to do tomorrow, when the holiday is over. I hate beeing stranded, but I'm still going strong :-)
Old 04-01-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Delphia 31

Quote:
No, I don't think so because people that are interested in sailing oceans will be, like they are now, a small minority. The truth is that with just a bit more than 50 000 euros one can buy a new mass production boat faster, bigger, more comfortable and more adapted to coastal cruising:

That Revolution 22 will remain the boat for a guy that likes to voyage hassle free without not much space or comfort and the guys that like to do that are and will be only a minority. Nothing wrong with that. Sailing has many sides and tastes, all right...for different guys and with different boats to each one

Regards

Paulo
Exactly Paulo, There seems to be a small group of sailors who we meet around the world in very small sailing vessels. Most of the boats are old and not very sea worthy. Then there are some in the smaller New Zealand designs that make very good single handed cruising boats. I'm thinking there will be more boats like the smaller Pogo or Revolution 22 cruising all over the world because they are good boats and are affordable. Why would someone have an O' Day 22 foot boat of vintage stock and not really seaworthy when they can own a well made boat spartan as they are they still are capable of going places.

It's a new world order out there giving many a chance to sail to far off places in a more safer way.

Loved the videos of the grand J boats of yesterday and their beautiful crews, I wish my kid had gone crewing on boats like that instead of getting married and having kids at too young an age.

We are getting real busy now and less than 3 months before going to France to pickup the new boat.

Cheers