Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Delphia 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post

Loved the videos of the grand J boats of yesterday and their beautiful crews, I wish my kid had gone crewing on boats like that instead of getting married and having kids at too young an age.

Cheers
I passed last new year's eve in a house of a friend with a big bunch of friends. I did not know many and he presented me to another sailor. A sunshine boy, always smiling, British I suppose. We talked about boats and he said he sailed on an old one. I was imagining some kind of more or less decrepit sailboat when he said Velsheda. I asked with disbelieve: the J boat? and he said "yes, that one"...big smile on his face. And you are paid for that? "yes, lucky me" with an even bigger smile.

I guess he had reasons to keep smiling He had just some days of paid vacations in Portugal before crossing to America.

One of the good things with all those beautiful millionaire huge sailboats is that they need a huge crew and give a wonderful job to many young sailors and some older ones.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2013

Endeavour, Shamrock and Ranger.

Some brothers in arms. I love these boats they are just awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2013

Luca Bassani and Wally yachts

Continuing with big yachts let's have a look at some modern ones and the big yachts that better assume modernity are the Wally.

It is easy to identify a Wally, they share all the same vision of modernity, the clean sharp lines and elegant hulls makes them easy to identify....and however they are designed by many and different NAs. All major league NAs, but very diversified.

So why they are so easily identified as Wally yachts?

The reason is the owner of the brand, Luca Bassani.

He has a vision and strong well defined ideas.

He uses NAs to give body to them. They create his vision of a yacht and so Wally, even if designed by many different NA, share a common heritage, Luca Bassani vision.

That is even more interesting since Basani is an economist not a boat builder with a long story perfecting the lines of a type of boat neither he is a designer. Wally, non withstanding its huge success, is a recent brand. He is a long time sailor but the story only begins in 1991 when he, not satisfied with what the market had to offer, builds his own boat. In 1994 he founded Wally to satisfy other sailors that were dissatisfied with the boats on the market and liked Basani boat. 19 years later Wally has the largest performance fleet of Maxi-Yachts.

So, let's have a look at the man and his dream. An interview and two movies: a very short one in English and a longer and fantastic one in Italian. For the ones that cannot understand Italian, the boats speak for themselves:

The Monaco-based boat maker’s yachts, power yachts and smaller boats all carry design characteristics utterly undreamt of until they came about.

Their dark, mysterious looks are undoubtedly head-turning, their power frightening. The minimalist lines don’t give anything away; indeed they hide the yacht’s interior which, in the larger variants such as the outrageous Wallypower 118, is simply spine-tingling.

It is instantly evident that design plays the lead role in these beauties. After all, any power yacht which can house a space that changes from dining room to small conference area must be special.

Wally’s boats are nothing short of prodigious. To find out just how and why these seemingly fictitious concepts of arresting design exist, I chatted with Luca Bassani, Wally’s founder, president and mastermind.

Incredibly, Mr Bassani not only takes charge of the whole business, but is the brains behind every single piece of marine art that comes out of Wally’s headquarters in Monaco.

“What inspires you to come up with such striking yachts?”

“The functionality and the need to find simple solutions, lighter and more neat.”

“Do you feel that your unusual designs detriment your sales, or enhance them?”
“We think that, as with any smart innovation, it will enhance our sales in the long term.”

“You are a much fresher, less well-established company than the likes of Sunseeker and Princess. Do you think boats like yours are a shape of things to come for all boat companies, or will your style remain unique?”
“On the sail yachts, we have already carved the whole market and everybody is copying our solutions and our style. It will also happen in the power boat sector and, in fact, it is already starting to happen.”
“Where do your buyers mainly come from? I haven’t seen many in Monaco’s port.”
“Forty percent of our clients come from Germany, thirty percent from Italy and the rest from all over the world.”
Interview with Luca Bassani – Yacht Pioneer & Wally Founder

Wally // Home

Last edited by PCP; 04-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2013

Talking The truth is that it is more fun in a smaller boat

Old 04-02-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Have been watching these forums for a couple of years and finally joined.
Really like the reviews and comments by PCP and the rest of members.
One boat in particular has now received the documentation i've been waiting for:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
See here: ac-voile (need to add www and com since new members can't add links or pics)
Some new pictures including layout of cockpit layout, inventory list, VPP, IRC cert, options... comments please.
Thnks again.
Old 04-02-2013

Jeanneau 3600 - JPK 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Have been watching these forums for a couple of years and finally joined.
Really like the reviews and comments by PCP and the rest of members.
One boat in particular has now received the documentation i've been waiting for:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
See here: ac-voile (need to add www and com since new members can't add links or pics)
Some new pictures including layout of cockpit layout, inventory list, VPP, IRC cert, options... comments please.
Thnks again.
Edward, welcome to this thread and to Sailnet. It is amazing the number of new members that make their first post on this thread. You guys make me proud

I will post the pictures and links for you:

http://www.ac-voile.com/modules/cata...AST%203600.pdf

I have a relation of love and hate with that project:

I love the hull design, I love the power given by that hull and the high B/D ratio, I love the rigging they show on the mock set up, I love everything that regards sailing. It is going to be a hell of a boat specially in what regards solo or short crew racing. I am not sure if the boat will rate well on handicap racing, particularly in light winds but it is going to be not only a very fast sail boat as well as a relatively easy boat to sail fast.

I hate that they had not taken the opportunity to make this sailboat not only a great racer but also a great performance cruiser and in what regards that they screw it big time. I have already said about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That interior is screaming for a small central removable central navigation place (on the top of the main table) and that would permit a big galley on the two sides of the boat, without any seat. that would make the main table smaller but who cares, it will be more than enough for two and most of the time people eats outside and that table is not a good one anyway, with a mast on the middle. A good galley, or at least an acceptable one is indispensable in any cruising boat.

I guess you and me are not the only ones pissed with that. Maybe they will, on account of sailors pressure, end up making two versions: a pure race version with a skeleton interior and one with a better interior for cruiser racers.
Besides that I would say that I will say that the boat has a problem with outside storage space in what regards cruising and a stupid one because the boat seems to have a considerable space on the transom and a big forward locker (sail locker) next to the anchor locker (my boat has that set up too and it is a practical one).

It is stupid because the access to either locker is ridiculously small, just a standard hatch. That can be acceptable on a racing boat (even if also for racing the opening for the sail locker would be much more practical if bigger) but on a performance cruiser just don't makes no sense.

Two "details" (the galley and the storage) that in my opinion limits the cruising potential of the boat and given their sailing potential, that makes me mad

The A35, a boat that probably will be the main competition has a better cruising interior, specially in what regards the galley:

It has also more storage space even if it shares the same problem in what regards to access it from the cockpit. They are projecting a new one, it deserves to be looked at, if you are on a market for a fast cruiser racer. Maybe they continue to offer a decent galley and a good storage space.

The J111 is will be probably a better boat for crew racing and a worse boat for solo racing, but even that one has a better cruising interior and a better galley. The J111 permits also the access to one of the cabins from the outside (that cabin can be transformed in a big locker).

I would say that if you want the boat for cruising and for racing (and Jeanneau will persist into making only a racing interior) wait for the new JPK 1080. That one will have a racing and a cruising interior in a boat that should present very similar sailing characteristics, including fast solo sailing:

The JPK will be probably slightly more expensive but Jean Pierre Kelber will make it to fit you, your sailing style and the use you are going to the boat. This one contrary to the Jeanneau can be customized to a certain extent.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2013

Et voilá, le Spi Ouest

The race that joins more crews in different categories, the race where the top professionals race with amateurs. That was a cold one this year, but nice as usual:

girls, kids, professionals and old sailors were all there:

and the boat builders, the guys from First, Jboats and JPK were there also for the fun of racing their boats to learn, to talk and exchange ideas with their clients.

Old 04-03-2013

Sapwraia is on a distinguished road
New Allures 39.9 pics - under sail

Great to see pics of hull no.1 in action - a couple here from the allures39.9 site.

Anyone have an update on the Ovni Evolution 43 ? hull no.1 must be in build

PCP, daviid and opc11 like this.
Old 04-03-2013

Allures 39.9

Yes, the boat looks very nice:

Photo Gallery

daviid likes this.

Old 04-03-2013

Allures 45

The images are so good that I will post it on a new post. I cannot embed it but just click on the link and have a look look:

It is a Swedish boat test but the images are beautiful. If someone had doubts about the sailing performance I guess these images are enlightening.

https://hamnenplay.solidtango.com/vi...ures-45-130213

Last edited by PCP; 04-03-2013 at 07:35 AM.