Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Volvo Ocean race 2014/2015

I am really happy to know that I will see the race again in Lisboa that is one of the cities that becomes habitual as a port of call in the race. Brazil is the only country that will receive it in two cities, Recife and Itajay and that makes the Portuguese the dominant language on the ports of call

Most cities are chosen by its Maritime tradition and convenient localization and there are other great cities as Port of call: Alicante, Abu Dhabi, Aukland, Rhode Island, Lorient, Gothenburgh and Sanya.

The race will start in Spain (Alicante) on Oct. 4, 2014 and will finish in Sweden (Gothenburg) on June 27, 2015.

The race will be bigger than the last one by about 6000Nm.

Brazil has becoming a very hot spot in what regards World's sport. Between 2014 and 2016 they will host three of the biggest world sport world's events:
The football (soccer) World Cup in 2014, the Volvo ocean race in 2015 and the Olympics in 2016. Way to go, and congratulations to all Brazilians around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

Nacra 17

I believe this boat will bring a lot to sail and particularly to women while sailors. It is not completely innovative since it is based on their smaller and bigger sisters (F16 and 18) but the curved foil gives it a character of his own and makes it particularly fast and difficult to sail. The ones that tried the boat talk about "flying" A great boat no doubt and racers are excited about it and that's a good sign

This boat was designed expressly by Morrelli & Melvin to meet the criteria that was demanded by ISAF for the new Olympic class: mixed multihull. the story as told by the designers:

"Since no existing design or class fit the ISAF specs, we decided to create an all-new design that is about 17 feet long, called the NACRA 17. Compared to an F16 class catamaran, it is 250mm longer, 100mm wider, has a taller mast and more sail area, and curved daggerboards. The curve boards also give an added dimension to the sailing".

The boat started to be made last year and the first images show a very fast, fun and demanding boat to sail. Besides that it is for a mixed crew so instead the boys instead of saying to the girls: "I am going to sail with my fiends" will start to say: "Won't you come and sail with me".

I expect this to be a very popular class and a spectacular one:

Nacra 17, olympic mixed multihull in Rio 2016_ENG from FilMotion // Luca Carton on Vimeo.

Newberry / Casey 2016 Nacra 17 Promo Video from Penalty Box Productions on Vimeo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2013

Flying Phantom project:

Talking about Flying, look at this baby:

and Franck Cammas trying it :

That's a modified F18. Not yet competitive but you never now. Some years ago they say that the Moth on foils was only a stunt and that would not be competitive, and look at them now.

I guess the problem here is that it is made to fly on the two foils. That's too much resistance. They have to fly on a single foil to diminish drag. An equilibrist act...but that's racing

Catamaran Racing, News & Design: Learning to Fly II: Flying Phantom Project

http://www.sail-innovation.com/
Sapwraia likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 04-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2013

Sapwraia is on a distinguished road
Allures 39.9 Interior

Here are some pics just posted by Allures of the 39.9 interior (hull no.1) - this is a big call by the yard in going to an "apartment style" design. I looked at some pics of the previous Allures 40 and am left feeling that I prefer the earlier style. From a practical point of view I don't like all the chamfered edges to the woodwork - with typical usage will just attract wear & tear faster than rounded edges. The saloon seating doesn't look that inviting either; I don't want to pre-judge too much as this design is near top of our list - so will reserve judgement until a physical inspection later in the year.

PCP and Edward3 like this.
Old 04-10-2013

Seascape 27 versus Saphire 27

If I was a Young guy these two boats were probably what I would have chose for racing and camping with the family.

Two very different boats in what regards design but both fit for fast racing and cruising. One very much French school the other very much Italian school. Both can pull their keels up (the Seascape swings it) having the advantages of deep keel boats and being able to join the river banks for camping, or have a nice pick nick. Both can be trailed.

I am not going to compare them directly. Someone had a genial idea: If you are interested just go to to the Lake Garda, have an wonderful week -end and sail test both boats. They have managed a pack with inexpensive hotel prices. that's what I would have done. Hell, I kind of feel tempted for that offer just for the fun of sailing those beauties. From 20 to 28 of this month, you have to book to be sure you have a place.

If you go there please post the report here

Seascape 27:

Saphire 27:

Saphire 27 - Slip and trail without a crane

Seascape

https://www.facebook.com/Seascap27

http://www.biehlmarin.com/mediapool/...tage2_ver6.pdf

http://www.saphireboats.com/system/f...2401fa01d8.pdf
EricKLYC likes this.

Old 04-10-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Allures 39.9 Interior
Thanks for the update Sapwraia.
The open architecture or apartment style does seem appealing in many ways. Similar to RM, JPK… with open areas and large windows for a panoramic view of the outside , lots of light into the interior and invites people in to a more attractive and stylish design.
For a fast cruiser with live aboard possibilities on long voyages and the times when you are tied to a dock or mooring for extended periods of time, this could improve the lifestyle of young families and couples not familiar with the cold dark confined spaces covered with traditional classical teak down below.
Just my thought since I’m used to modern architecture and building techniques and after spending days on the rail and sleeping in pipe berths, this is a sight of fresh air!
Old 04-10-2013

Re: Allures 39.9 Interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Here are some pics just posted by Allures of the 39.9 interior (hull no.1) - this is a big call by the yard in going to an "apartment style" design. I looked at some pics of the previous Allures 40 and am left feeling that I prefer the earlier style. From a practical point of view I don't like all the chamfered edges to the woodwork - with typical usage will just attract wear & tear faster than rounded edges. The saloon seating doesn't look that inviting either; I don't want to pre-judge too much as this design is near top of our list - so will reserve judgement until a physical inspection later in the year.

I agree with you. One thing is modern looking other thing is quality design. the colors are wrong, the finish seems to have some problems specially on the saloon settees and that odd looking finish on the corners probably will be a cause for problems with age. Part of the problem as to do with the use of white and Black. Those are the most powerful "colors", You cannot use too many and they use too much white. Compare it with the use of the white on the 45:

Click visit 3D:

http://www.allures.fr/voilier.php?id=6

If you are interested in the boat let then know you are interested but don't like the interior and ask if the interior cannot be made on the same style of the 45. This is a prototype and they tried to innovate. I bet that the design of the interior looked great on the artists drawings. I have see it happen time over time, I mean people being mislead over a bad project with a great presentation. You have to be a professional to make the distinction between what is a nice drawing and a nice design.

I believe that they will be going to substitute or improve this design. It will happen sooner if they receive lots of complaints...and they are going to receive them, I am sure.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-10-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

The 39 is a very nice boat for its size. Looking at the drawings do you think there is enough room to put a good strong dodger on it? The mainsail sheet and the two mainsail blocks are very close to the edge of the companionway hatch. I hope they could be moved bit more forward and still have a fair lead. The foil is like the ones on the Boreal, I wonder if there will be enough room under it for a wind vane. Ya I know the French do not believe in wind vanes only auto helms. But most going cruising will want both.

As an owner of a fairly new designed boat I'm always keeping my eye out for all the little things that may not make you happy when you go and pickup you new machine. Always keep an eye out and ask lots of questions to the builders and the designers.

The interior colors can always be changed.

Nice boat.
Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Allures 39.9 Interior
Thanks for the update Sapwraia.
The open architecture or apartment style does seem appealing in many ways. Similar to RM, JPK… with open areas and large windows for a panoramic view of the outside , lots of light into the interior and invites people in to a more attractive and stylish design.
For a fast cruiser with live aboard possibilities on long voyages and the times when you are tied to a dock or mooring for extended periods of time, this could improve the lifestyle of young families and couples not familiar with the cold dark confined spaces covered with traditional classical teak down below.
Just my thought since I’m used to modern architecture and building techniques and after spending days on the rail and sleeping in pipe berths, this is a sight of fresh air!
E3, An interesting perspective and shows just what a personal thing this is; I've lived all my life in modern & minimalist houses with parents since the 60's, apartments and now a new ultra-mod house for us; so looking for something a bit cosier & welcoming in a yacht - but still needs to be very well designed & highly functional

What do you all think about the double vertical hull ports for in the saloon ? That styling feature works better on hulls over 50 foot IMHO, and would be a good test of the Allures semi-custom potential to request that port the same as the others i.e. one horizontal rectangle. Not quite as much deep blue panorama but enough and would accentuate the hull lines better ? Anyone up for some photoshop ? may have to wait till the weekend !

Paulo, I agree re early feedback to the yard and semi-custom potential - I like their progressive thinking but wonder if they're competing too hard with the "apartment interiors" of the mass manufacturers when most people who go for the Allures have probably already decided that the round bilge alum hull, swing keel & twin rudder are the critical requirements for which there is no real competition at this size (Ovni has chines)

These are all high quality problems of course

cheers
Old 04-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
The 39 is a very nice boat for its size. Looking at the drawings do you think there is enough room to put a good strong dodger on it? The mainsail sheet and the two mainsail blocks are very close to the edge of the companionway hatch. I hope they could be moved bit more forward and still have a fair lead. Nice boat.
h2 - I see what you mean re dodger - compromises start appearing in unexpected places as LOA decreases ! These pics are all we have re dodger / mainsheet fixings .......

For hot climate sailing i wonder if they've designed a bimini from dodger to arch ....... it means you have to steer from the rails for fwd visibilty but would be a nice covered cockpit (assuming the dodger frame isn't too flimsy