Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Volvo Ocean Race 2014/2015

And the VOR is back, they say the "Toughest Sailing Race in the World, but after the Vendee I have my doubts. anyway a great race and this time with a girl's team.

The presentation, the route and the Ports of call the new boat and the girls:

(could not find the videos for Alicante, Gotenburgh and Newport. If someone can please post them)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Allures 39.9 - change the midships hull-port

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Er, yes. It's a photoshop Sapwraia made.
ahhhh, errrr. doh! not sure how I missed that
Old 04-11-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Allures 39.9 - change the midships hull-port

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
ahhhh, errrr. doh! not sure how I missed that
Well, it's a long thread which moves fast at times
Old 04-12-2013

Women on the VOR

Nice video about the women on the Volvo. Nice to have them back and now not on an old boat but just in one just like the others. That's a first. I hope they can quick ass

Melrna likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2013

Look at the AC wings

and see how different they are:

and look at the size (there is a tiny man on the left).

This is a drawing by François Chevalier, a French NA that choose nautical technical journalism as a main profession. I had already posted some of its analyses and it is just great to have somebody that can go deep inside top sail design and made them accessible to us. Cheers to him.

Old 04-12-2013

La Grande Motte

That means something to you? If you like cruising multihulls it should mean: That's the biggest world multihull boat show with 150 boats from all over the world. The place is near Montpellier, Nimes and Provence, a very nice place to visit in spring. The Expo started at 10 and will close next Sunday.

Salon du Multicoque 2013 La Grande Motte por F3languedocroussillon

Some of the boats that will be there:

http://www.multicoque-online.com/fr/...ateaux-a-flot/

http://www.multicoque-online.com/fr/...ste-exposants/

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2013

Maltese Falcon versus Meteor

Everybody know the Maltese Falcon, an innovative design by Gerard Dijkstra & Partners and Perini Navi, a 2006 design, a boat with 88m of length. Yes the boat is very modern, the sails are computer oriented and it is an interesting concept but I never liked the dam thing. There are something of pompous on that boat, the luxury is ostentatious, kind of an Hollywood set up. The boat is supposed to be fast very modern and needing a smaller crew:

Only a year later Gerard Dijkstra designed Meteor, a 52m Yacht, this one much more accordingly with his line of work, a modern classic: a classical boat with a modern hull and rig. I find this one much more beautiful than the Maltese Falcon even if I find the the interior (by John Munford design) too heavy and lacking imagination:

The Maltese Falcon is much bigger, it has a revolutionary rig does not have to look classical so surely it is a lot faster than the Maltese Falcon!!! right?

Wrong. So much for modernity in this case

Meteor is really a beautiful boat and Dijkstra is really a master designing modern classics:

Last edited by PCP; 04-12-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2013
Always tired

Re: Interesting Sailboats

That's a bit unfair. The Maltese Falcon has that rig, not because it is the most efficient, but because the then owner-to-be wanted a modern square rigger. I never liked that humongous pilothouse/salon and that antennae mast in the stem, but I like how he put his money into making something not seen anywhere. Computerised square rigger to make it manageable. I mean, it's eccentric enough that I like it for that reason alone.
Old 04-12-2013

Maltese Falcon versus Meteor

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
That's a bit unfair. The Maltese Falcon has that rig, not because it is the most efficient, but because the then owner-to-be wanted a modern square rigger. I never liked that humongous pilothouse/salon and that antennae mast in the stem, but I like how he put his money into making something not seen anywhere. Computerised square rigger to make it manageable. I mean, it's eccentric enough that I like it for that reason alone.
Square rigs were used because they made boats faster and more efficient, specially on the trade winds. It does not seem that the Meteor can sail better with that rig than with a conventional rig. The rig, even if it works it is a kind of technical show off without resulting in a performance advantage. Maybe it works in what regards the need of less sailors ....

Regards

Paulo

Old 04-12-2013
Always tired

Re: Maltese Falcon versus Meteor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Square rigs were used because they made boats faster and more efficient, specially on the trade winds. It does not seem that the Meteor can sail better with that rig than with a conventional rig. The rig, even if it works it is a kind of technical show off without resulting in a performance advantage. Maybe it works in what regards the need of less sailors ....

Regards

Paulo
Are you attempting to argue that the benefits back then, when cotton were used for sailcloth, should somehow translate into good saildesign today? That because it was an advantage back then to have smaller squares of cloth, then that same thing would be beneficial today? Even if most on the Maltese Falcon is carbon fibre, it still a sorts of square rigger with the extra weight up on top, compared to the modern rig of Meteor, which has far less weight and hardware (carbon fibre and dyneema) up on top.

Why would you expect a square rigger, even made with modern materials to outpace everything out there, because "centuries ago, they made them for the trade winds"? (Yes, I'm paraphrasing a bit).

I say this, while I actually like that rig a lot. It's beautiful to me (the rig, that is), but I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a more modern rig, utilising the benefits of modern sail cloth.