Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
great footage (Asso 99)

Some great footage taken on the 2012 Tjorn Run, one of my favorite races. It is iraced around an Island in incredibly difficult coastal conditions in between lots of Islands and treacherous grounds. They have to carefully navigate the boat while going at full speed. Lot's of boats damage the keels on this race.

The boat is very good old design ( Asso 99 - 1983) by Ettore Santarelli and is racing among the first. It is a lake racer and I didn't know that they allowed trapezes on coastal races. They don't allow it on most. This is new for me. Maybe the Nordic guys around can shed some light about this?

And since we are talking about the Asso 99 let me post a famous and fantastic movie, the 2008 race in the Lake Garda. some think that a lake has always flat waters and easy sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo (or anyone else with an opinion on this)- what's you lates opinion on the Ovni's? There happens to be one located for sale close to us that is a 435 model, and the broker is offering us a test sail (we're in no real hurry, though). I was reading on the boat design forum when you were pointing out some flaws back in 2005 and was wondering if you've changed your mind at all since then. I know of one other couple sailing one who seem to enjoy it for extended cruising, and they frequent the northern high latitudes as we are hoping to do before we get much older...

Ray
Old 04-24-2013

Ovni 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Paulo (or anyone else with an opinion on this)- what's you lates opinion on the Ovni's? There happens to be one located for sale close to us that is a 435 model, and the broker is offering us a test sail (we're in no real hurry, though). I was reading on the boat design forum when you were pointing out some flaws back in 2005 and was wondering if you've changed your mind at all since then. I know of one other couple sailing one who seem to enjoy it for extended cruising, and they frequent the northern high latitudes as we are hoping to do before we get much older...

Ray
Hi Ray,

In 2005...that was long ago, nice to know that there are sailors reading what I wrote 10 years ago.

I don't remember but probably I was pointing out that the Allures that appeared around that time was a better boat. Still think that, specially in what regards reserve stability (or a Boreal for that matter) but that if you have the possibility to chose a new boat. Probably today I would be a bit more moderate in my opinions. That comes with age. It is worth to point out that the OVNI is considerable less expensive then any of the other boats.

The OVNI are great offshore boats and its seaworthiness record is impeccable with smaller boats than the 435 doing extreme voyaging, on high latitudes.

Jimmy Cornell that had circumnavigated several times with different boats had done the last one with a 435 and considered that the best offshore boat that he had sailed and that guy knows one or two things about offshore sailing and offshore sailing boats.

As an used boat, if well cared, an OVNI 435 can be a a very good buy and a great voyage boat. You have just to see if you like the way the boat sail and go ahead.

You will have to learn (and to know) how to sail the boat in bad weather. That is not done the same way than with a full or fin keel boat. If you now what you are doing that boat is a very seaworthy one.

Maybe this posts are of interest to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Since we are talking about beachable boats, here some nice Videos of an OVNI 365 sailing at 80º North:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, that friendly discussion with Osmundl about the OVNI 395 performances can give the impression that I am saying that it is a bad boat or an uninteresting one. It is not the case and probably it was already time that we post here about an OVNI and from their line the 395 is one of the more interesting.

Aluminum centerboards are one of the French preferred options in what regards passagemaking boats and particularly the OVNI 435 was a sailing legend with many boats sold and an incredibly number of circumnavigations made.

These boats have changed the paradigm of centerboarders. The Dutch ones had almost 50% of ballast, the French ones have about 35% and that permits them to be much faster sailboats at the cost of a lower AVS (the 435 had 107) and a big inverted stability. Even so, the particularly good dynamic stability characteristics made them difficult boats to capsize (I don't know of any report of a capsized 435).

Regarding the many other French options regarding centerboarders, the OVNIS have an huge advantage: price

It is of no use for most, excellent boats like the Atlantic, if they cost so much that only very few have the money to buy one.

The OVNIS have democratized aluminum boats. Sure they have a somewhat rude look and some would not find them beautiful, but they are strong and well designed in what regards the thing for what they were made off.

You would not win races in one, but modern ones offer an almost equal performance as basic modern big production cruisers, except upwind where the performance is 5 to 10 degrees worse, as it would be on any non ballasted keel centerboarder.

As I have said, from the present line the OVNI 395 offers an interesting performance and qualities at a fair price, lower than any concurrence. He has already talked about the Allures 40, that I prefer, but it costs substantially more and the other options are even more expensive.

So, lets have a look at the OVNI 395:

Fair enough Osmundl?
And perhaps you can PM Osmundl about his boat. He was so enthusiastic about the performance of his OVNI 395 that I think he was a bit pissed for me saying that his boat was a great sailing boat but had not the performance of a cruiser racer. If you look a bit after the date of the last quoted post you will find a discussion about his boat and its performance.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Paulo- My wife is looking at the boat now (taking lots of photos, hopefully). If she likes it, then we may consider a sail, but it would be just for fun and I don't think the owners would be hip to that. We're still about 2 or 3 years away from buying. I'm all over the place in terms of experience, never having sailed a real ocean cruising boat-- my own is an Olson 30, but I frequently crew on a friend's Swan 56 and a bunch of J-boats. The option of buying a new Ovni is always a possibility, but also a used Boreal or Allures.

Ray
Old 04-24-2013

A classic beauty the William Fife schooner Adventuress.

Sailing:

and now prepare yourself for a shock. What a contrast with that nice but rig and deck:

How Victorian

Old 04-25-2013

Hydroptere :transpacific speed record attempt.

I have posted that after their last year failed attempt at the Transpacific Sail record (they never leave California for lack of favorable weather conditions) Hydroptere had run in financial trouble for not enough sponsorship. I am happy to announce that they have solved the problem and they are back. They will attempt the Transpacific record again this year.

This record is specially important because after Hydroptere claimed the absolute sail record (beaten after that by a wind surfer and after that by Vestas) it remains by far the fastest sailboat of considerable dimensions and the only of the record breakers with offshore capability.

The development of those offshore capabilities are very important in what regards sail technology and boat design. That's why it is important the Hydroptere to be well and alive continuing his hydrodynamic, aerodynamic research.

"On Wednesday 17th April, in the Parisian workshop of the architect Jean Nouvel, Alain Thébault and his teammates Jean Le Cam and Yves Parlier announced the continuation of the ocean program for Hydroptere. In a few weeks, they will try to beat the record of the Transpacific crossing between Los Angeles and Honolulu.

Sitting side by side on an Air France flight, Alain Thébault and Jean Nouvel discovered that they had some similar ideas. Even if one of them is between the sea and the sky, and the other one on the earth, they have something important in common: the persistence and imagination in the creation of new concepts. It is in the large room of Jean Nouvel Design workshops that Alain Thébault and his crew members announced their imminent departure to California.

A year ago, Hydroptere was getting ready in the Mediterranean before being brought to California to try to beat the Transpacific record. As she arrived in Los Angeles too late to benefit from the favourable weather window of June and July, Hydroptere headed to San Francisco to continue her training and greet her fellows of the America's Cup. The French trimaran was the first to fly in the bay at over 45 knots. ...

This winter, Hydroptere gained two additional supports. The French investment company Capital Fund Management and the editor of driving assistance solutions Coyote System joined as official partners Lanson Champagne, the innovative companies CLIP Industrie and Atheos. "The budget of the record is almost complete. The project is still open to other partners who wish to join the adventure and get a historical record with us" told Alain Thébault.

Hydroptere is currently based in Alameda, east of San Francisco Bay. Thanks to Warren Fitzgerald and Jeff Mearing, the trimaran was lifted ashore by crane on Monday 15th April. She will receive a complete check-up before being launched in early May and then brought to Los Angeles where she will be positioned in standby for the record.

The Transpacific record

From the end of May, the period of stand-by will start. To fly over the swell from Los Angeles to Honolulu, the composition of the crew will be exceptional: Alain Thébault, designer and skipper of Hydroptere, Jean Le Cam, Yves Parlier and Jacques Vincent, his faithful fellows who hold together some of the best records of ocean racing. ...

.. "In June the position of the Pacific anticyclone is ideal because it provides the most direct route to Hawaii. The thermal wind is active in this season and we will quickly leave the California coast. Then we will surf the long Pacific swell downwind and we will probably have to make a gibe close the Hawaiian Islands "said Yves Parlier.

Pure speed and offshore records

After introducing the objectives of the Transpacific record, Alain Thébault talked about the future challenges of the team. Program: alternating between offshore records and pure speed. After the Pacific, Alain Thébault wants to focus on the absolute sailing speed record, a grail he had already won in 2009.

The engineers of the team are now working on the design of a two-seater prototype whose objective will be to cross the average sailing speed barrier of 80 knots.

"Thanks to the performance of Paul Larsen on Vestas SailRocket, sailing has entered the equivalent of supersonic era. The physical barrier of 50/55 knots has exploded. There is no more brake. Now we have to focus on an average speed of 80 knots with potential peaks at 100 knots, "said Alain Thébault. Anders Bringdal, the multi-titled Swedish windsurfer and long-time friend, will form the duet with Alain Thébault to pilot this new craft."

Very nice to see sail speed freaks from all sail disciplines to focus together on sailspeed records.

it seems that the Hydroptere will be maintained and developed for offshore records while a new smaller boat will be created to attempt absolute speed records: nice

Home :: L'HYDROPTÈRE - Alain Thébault

hydroptere sailboat to set transpacific fastest speed record

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 04-25-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2013

new boat : Clipper 70 by Tony Castro

Most if not all have already heard about the clipper race, a race that give the chance of amateurs to experience the emotions of ocean crew races in fast and big Ocean racers.

Clipper Race - Clipper 13-14 Race Skippers

Well, the problem is that the old Clipper 68, a 2004 Ed Dubois design is already a dated design.

That has changed. Welcome to the new Clipper 70, a design by Toni Castro, the most known Portuguese NA:

23m Clipper Raceboat | Tony Castro Yacht Design

Not a radical design but an adequate one, much more modern, faster and easier to sail downwind. Much more fun for the ones that will apply for a leg on this race, for sure:

Last edited by PCP; 04-25-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

First Pogo 30 is in the water:

Cruiser/Racer: Erste Fotos der neuen Pogo 30 - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

Paulo, what do you think, which keel option will be faster? I'd like to see a polar...
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 04-26-2013

New Pogo 30

This is one of the boats that I was waiting with more interest and even so you have beaten me in what regards posting about it

This boat is so cute:

There will be two keel versions, a swing one and a fixed one:

And the swing keel is great but will make the boat a lot more expensive as well as more complicated. Can also come with a carbon mast or an aluminium one.

Full information here:

Pogo 30 | Chantier naval STRUCTURES, constructeur des voiliers POGO (site officiel) :: STRUCTURES Shipyard, construction of sailing boat POGO (Oficial website)

I think that this line of boats to Pogo will remain in the future has a major point in Jean Marie Finot carrier. It is truly amazing that he remains on top of boat design development at the age of 70. I think he also considers this line of designs one of his major achievements otherwise he would not have choose as his personal cruising boat a Pogo 10.50.

And do you know what he had made: just introduced some alterations on the sail plane to go faster

Note: That is it, I will go cruising for the summer in about 15 days so I really have to stop posting. I need more time to organize my life and sailnet is addictive. So I will stop posting anywhere in sailnet except here and I will restrict drastically my activity here to just some moments at night before I go sailing and then I will just post very occasionally. I will be back with more time in the fall (I hope).

In meantime you all are very welcome to post on this thread. Many recognize not only my work here but the value and quality of many contributors. This thread is about modern design and many here have modern designs and very recent sailingboats. Their information about their boats makes this thread a very useful tool for many while looking for information in what regards choosing and buying a boat.

Many do that, I mean buy new boats using the information on this thread and never post (I know of several cases).

I have a request: If this thread was helpful to you while choosing your boat, please post here after and share with us your impressions. Don't be shy, we all want to know about that and here we like all kinds of new designed cruising and racing boats, ones more than others.

For the ones that are usual contributors, please keep posting and the ones that have new boats, please deliver regular evaluation regarding your boat. sometimes time confirms our first impressions, sometime we find defects we were not expecting, sometimes the boat even turned better than we have hopped to for. I am sure we all want to know about that.

People around this this thread are mostly knowledgeable sailors, some very knowledgeable and that makes your reports on boats even more interesting.

I am specially curious about what Hannah (Steve) will find about his new Boreal 44. I hope not only a report but several. I wish you a good Atlantic crossing and fair winds.

To all, now that the sailing season is starting, fair winds..

Regards

Paulo
DiasDePlaya and EricKLYC like this.

Old 04-27-2013

Salona 35

Salona 35 was tested by the very conservative British magazine PBO and they liked. Not very impressed with the interior but that is a boat used for racing all wrapped up in plastic and with a low price mahogany interior. They have nicer teak interiors as an option: