Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Speed compassion list.

To have an idea about the relative performance of two sailboats there are few things better than a good handicap list. The more reliable are the ones from ORC but there are others that provide good information, the problem is that they are not many times compatible and some times it is hard to find information specially in what regards older boats.

Blur has some great information regarding handicaps and I find this one specially good. They are IRC handicaps and the newer boats are not there but lot's of older boats including American ones. It is a very interesting one since it can be provided taking into consideration only speed and that gives an easier reading in what concerns other comparable sailboats and also by alphabetic order.

Regarding the one that is ordered by speed we can pick for instance a famous relatively fast and very popular old American sailboat, the Cal 40 (0.964) and take a look at boats with similar performance:

http://www.blur.se/polar/IRC_rating.pdf

It is surrounded by First 31.7, and Elan 31 and 333 but it is slightly faster than a Catalina 38 or a Jeanneau 37 with a swallow draft and about as fast as a Morris 46.

That is kind of amusing to see what a given boat compares in performance.

Here you can see that same list but by alphabetical order.

http://www.blur.se/polar/IRC_boats.pdf

Another good place to find information about the performance of more modern boats is the site of the FFA. They use different ratings and apparently they seem directly comparable with ORC numbers but they are not (unless converted), so in fact they are only comparable with themselves:

Federation Francaise de Voile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013

Bavaria 37

Some days ago I posted about the new Bavaria 37 and said that it looked like the hull of the 36 to me...and that's confirmed. The boat looks much better but they maintained the Farr hull that is a recent one with good performances. They say that Farr had modified and improved the keel and the rudder but regarding to that we have to wait to see what they are talking about.

Regarding the competition in what regards this segment and size, it will come from the old but good Oceanis 37 and from the jeanneau 379 that is in fact a 37ft. The Bavaria is the narrower hull (3.67 m against 3.76 on the Jeanneau and 3.92 on the Oceanis) and also the heavier (the Jeanneau is 300kg lighter and the Oceanis almost 500kg lighter). All boats have about the same draft: 1.90/1.95m.

I don't know if Farr is going to add a torpedo keel (like on the Hanse) but probably not since they give a ballast of 2080kg and that even with a bulbed keel similar to the ones that have the Jeanneau and Oceanis, is already a lot, giving it a better B/D then any of the other two by a good margin. 30% of B/D ratio considering the keel draft and type is already near what some mass production performance boats have.

The boat is the narrower of the three and he had seen that the genoa/jib traveller is over the cockpit so I bet this one will have a very good upwind performance for this type of boat. It will also be the only one to offer 4 winches on the cockpit. It will be also the one that will sail with more heel.

Regarding sail area the Bavaria has 66m2, the Jeanneau 70m2 and the Oceanis 67.8m2. Probably the jeanneau and the Oceanis will be faster with lighter wind but on more demanding conditions the Bavaria will equal or better the performance of the other two, specially upwind.

The big problem of the Bavaria 36, that is a good sailboat was the looks. It seems that is resolved with the 37. Regarding market we will have to see if buyers will prefer beamier boats to more narrow ones and how good will be the improvement on the interior.

The price, as usual, it is a very nice one: 109.361,00 € including German 19% VAT.

That is amazing. They offer the 37 at a close price of what costed me my Bavaria 36 back in 2002.
daviid likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2013

Sig 45

Someone was talking in another thread about cats to be floating condos. Maybe but that's nothing wrong about it most of them sail pretty well downwind, that is what the trade winds are all about, faster than anything but a performance mono-hull, condos or not. But there are some that are not definitively condos.

I even like the cozy interior of the SIG 45, the huge cockpit but most of all the way it sails Not a match for a 50ft performance monohull: It will just fly away, but while on the fast solo typed monohull you can leave it at a good speed on autopilot and sleep, on this one I would make sure that the boat would carry little sail at night on autopilot...but during the day on the right conditions, what a pleasure to fly a hull

Some movies that I had missed some months back:

Old 05-01-2013

Absolute world circumnavigation record, the movie:

A 15m movie that can give you an idea of the conditions aboard Banque Populaire and what it takes to do that, besides a great boat.

Sometimes they go well over 40K

What a great captain!!! I Believe it is the most complicated and difficult job: To take that hugely powerful boat as fast as possible without breaking it and that for 45 days, storms and all. Chapeau to Lo´ck Peyron that at the age of 54 continues to be one of the world's best skippers.

Now he is using is talents on the America's cup (Artemis Racing).

Trophée_Jules_Verne_-_le_film por multihulls-world

Faster, EricKLYC and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Great video... Wonderful how the French embrace their sailing heroes.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-01-2013

Katana

Thanks Faster, I guess they are not different than the Americans on that, they just like more sailing and liking it is also understanding the scope of the achievements.

Continuing to talk about cats: Everybody knows that Lagoon are the paradigm of the condo cats and also the less expensive...but have a look at the number of Lagoons doing the ARC and we will found out that they are condo cats but also quite capable for voyaging on the trade winds.

If we consider a cat not very expensive, not very big, not so much condo like, but with a great interior, good sailing performance, the name of Katana comes to my mind. Let's see why:

Of course ,they are still a lot more expensive than a fast monohull with the same offshore capability and pay double at the marinas.

Last edited by PCP; 05-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2013

Aeroyachts

But if you really want to have a real floating Condo, you can have a very fast one, i mean one that in the right conditions can go over 30K. You just have to have the money for it

This is not some crazy dream, not with the names associated with it: As designer, Pete Melvin of Morrelli & Melvin and has builder Luca Bassani of Wally Yachts. So if you decide to have one of those, please invite me for a ride

110' Aeroyacht catamaran - Aeroyacht

http://www.aeroyacht.com/wp-content/.../Manifesto.pdf

Yes, I am convinced about the advantages regarding mega-sail yachts and besides the boat is beautiful. I would have exchanged quickly the Maltese Falcon for one of these and I bet the Falcon is more expensive.

Old 05-01-2013

Elan 400, the movie.

"I like the way she moves"...I really do with its very narrow entries and moderated beam, all brought back. The boat hull is a bit misleading, at least in 2D. Looking at the hull from above we would say: another downwind boat but the boat is not really that. Yes that transom will allow an easier downwind sailing but it will also allow a considerable heeling before the chine enters the water. This is a completely different hull than for instance a Pogo, a very interesting one and one that will have a good performance sailing upwind.

I like the way those two rudders and big D/B ratio hold the boat in a gust. Look at the movie (1.10) the boat heels with gusting, the guy does not correct and the boat continues straight as an arrow. In fact he over compensates after that.

For me the bigger and only big defect remains: They have now a 2 cabin version but instead of putting that galley with a good size for cruising and given it a good storage they have opted to make bigger the other side of the boat and make a king size head. Not much sense to me, the one on the three cabin is good enough....but the galley remains inadequate for extensive cruising in what regards space and storage, at least if we compare with the competition, I mean the Salona 41 and Dehler 41.

It is a pity because the interior is very nice, cozy and with good ideas in what regards space polyvalence.

Great movie:

Ausgewogen und rasant: Elan 400 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas gr÷▀tem Yacht Magazin

They have tested the boat. For the ones interested it will be on the next edition of Yacht magazine. For what I could understand they loved the boat.
daviid likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 05-02-2013

Sailing news.

New AC Oracle, New maxi cat "Prince de la Bretagne", Open60: Great images

Old 05-02-2013

Flying over the water: 32K new Moth record.