Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Top American mini racer, Jeff McFarlane, had a terrible accident.

He was preparing himself for the next big Transat (1000Nm mandatory with the boat), he had a fast boat, been second on two important international races and took a big risk while making those mandatory 1000Nm.

He took the boat to the middle of a depression near Menorca. Maybe he was not familiar with the med where sometimes 35K are a lot worse there than on the Atlantic (the old Navy French sailors called the Med the bitch – “la garce” ).

Lost the mast, capsized, damaged the boat and broke a hand. He was recovered just before night fall by a Spanish helicopter.

The boat was rescued but without an extra help the chances to see an American top sailor winning the Big Transat will not happen. The boat needs expensive repairs.

A translated article in an Italian Magazine (Giornale de la vela)

“During the navigation of 1000 miles in the Mediterranean that he needed for the qualification to the next Mini Transat, American Jeff McFarlane has risked big, running into a depression off the coast of Menorca with wind gusts to 35 knots. His Mini 6.50 (a prototype of Lombard) was capsized and lose the mast also damaging the keel.

Jeff, that we know very well in Italy because in March he participated in the Arciplelago 6.50 paired with Marco Nannini, and the Italian Grand Prix, with Andrea Fornaro, finishing in second place on both occasions, was rescued by a helicopter. It came out with a broken hand and with the feeling that he had been lucky ...

Giornale della Vela - Gli Speciali | Naufragio Jeff e il sogno spezzato della Mini Transat Durante la navigazione di 1000 miglia in Mediterraneo che stava affrontando per ottenere la qual
Jeffrey MacFarlane | Facebook

He says (translated from the French):

“ ... ". A few hours later, at lunch time, when the wind was blowing around 35 knots, under three reefs in the mainsail and small jib, the prototype had problems. "It all happened very quickly without having time to understand what was going on," "The mast fell and the boat suddenly was lying before going into a spin with two full turns. Then one of the elements that kept the keel box crushed my hand. "The boat has suffered failures in the deck, keel and mast. "I was reassured to see the boat still floated but everything was upside down with plenty of water to bail, said Jeffrey MacFarlane.

"I wanted especially to keep my mind busy and not to think about the damage and pain in my hand. "After issuing a Mayday, the sailor was busy rigging and securing the boat until nightfall.

As he prepared to spend the night on board a helicopter of the Spanish coast guard come down to him to pull him and taken him to hospital. The boat was recovered the next morning 15 miles from the island of Menorca. "I am disappointed because I was close to the goal," said Jeffrey MacFarlane us.

Actualités Nautisme : l'actualité du nautisme au quotidien avec Figaro Nautisme

News | Oakcliff Sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2013

A row boat, a man and a dog trying to do the NW passage.

If you think that those guys that go circumnavigating in 24ft sailboats are crazy, compare it with this guy

A dog? Poor thing I wonder were the dog pee and you know... sh*t. that should be a smelly boat Crazy idea I had ever heard in what regards boating. Off course the guy had to be rescued...but he had managed to find sponsors for his crazy project, I guess you can find a sponsor for everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2013

Beautiful boats:

So beautiful has a true low board classic cruiser...only a Brenta. What I would call nice cruisers look fat and sluggish...and the really fat ones are not really around

Old 05-03-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Beautiful boats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
So beautiful has a true low board classic cruiser...only a Brenta. What I would call nice cruisers look fat and sluggish...and the really fat ones are not really around

Nice video, had not seen this one before, I'm sailing on one of the boats in this race

This is from one of the worlds largest overnight races, 870 boats starting in 2012. The race goes from Oslo to Færder light house (Tristein) to Horten.

The nice green boat is Sira NOR 33, 8mR
Owned and skipperd by the Norwegian King Harald

More about this boat here.
8 mR
This text is a bit old - the present King Harald restored the boat and it is now active in use again.
Old 05-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
Nice video, had not seen this one before, I'm sailing on one of the boats in this race

The nice green boat is Sira NOR 33, 8mR
Owned and skipperd by the Norwegian King Harald

More about this boat here.
8 mR
This text is a bit old - the present King Harald restored the boat and it is now active in use again.
Nice. Small world and lots of sailors looking at this thread

I thought that the boat was called King Harald. Nice to know that the King is at the helm and what a nice helm, a royal one. Lot's of kings like sailing. The kings of Spain had an yacht and participated in regattas (one of the more famous Spanish races is the "King's cup" (Copa d'el Rey).

Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge: Mahon IX Copa del Rey de Barcos de Época

The last Portuguese king was an avid sailor and conducted a series of Oceanographic voyages (it was also an artist). His boat and one of his drawings:

So I guess we can say that sailing is a noble activity

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-03-2013

daviid is on a distinguished road
Re: Salona 35 and 38

Quote:
Hi David,

Maybe they were so busy making and selling boats that they had none to expose. I found these nice photos of these three delivered in Sweden days ago:

Two 35 and one 38. I thought you would like to have a look. Beautiful pictures, nice boats

Salona 35 + 38 Kullavik

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo

Thanks for these images. They are really beautiful sailboats
- great hull graphics
- love the carbon bowsprit
- not too crazy about the dark colored sprayhood on the S35. I prefer the lighter colored ones
- surprised that the gennaker/asymmetrical isn't masthead!
- beautiful transom design

What boats!
Old 05-03-2013

Imoca (Open 60) promotional movie:

Great movie:

Old 05-03-2013

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I loved the Brenta 42 Ren Glede helmwoman! Beautiful!!

(Sorry, but my Latin blood sometimes betrays me)

Last edited by DiasDePlaya; 05-04-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2013

Corsair Dash 750MKII

Besides J boats the other American sailboat Europeans love is the Corsair.

the Corsair Dash 750 was nominated for the 2011 European boat of the year cintest and even if it is basically a revamped Corsair 24 it is a very interesting daysailer, week end cruiser with a very good sail performance at a price lower than the ones proposed by Dragonfly that offer a better quality interior.

Not very good movies of it on the internet and the better quality one is from a German boat test:

Also an interesting one from Vietnam, where you can charter it:

and an American test sail:

Old 05-04-2013

Talking Foiling mania

After the Hydroptere, the Moth and now the AC72, foiling is on the the rise. Just some look around...I know the last are not sailing but they are so funny that I could not resist: A true foiling mania