Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Modern motor sailors: Albatross

I will have a look at an European one and in another post a look at an American one. Regarding Europe if we ware talking about modern motor-sailors the Albatross comes to my mind.

They have a complete line they are not very expensive, lots of interior space, great outside views, beamy hulls, good tankage and an option of an engine a bit more powerful than what you would find on a mass production typical cruiser.

For instance the 40ft that seems particularly interesting to me can have 75hp. They offer also a very interesting sailing performance, similar to some mass market cruisers. The boat offers a huge stability not only due to the big beam but also due to an unusually big B/D ratio for this type of boast. The boat comes with a modern bulbed keel and a relatively big draft (for this type of boat).

The 40fter even offers a dinghy garage.

http://www.albatrossyachts.eu/catalogo40.pdf

http://www.albatrossyachts.eu/BV-Albatross%2040.pdf

For what I can understand about the American market this boat at that price would make a lot of sense there.

They have a 35 a 37 a 40 and a 42ft boats.

http://www.albatrossyachts.eu/catalogo35.pdf

http://www.albatrossyachts.eu/Catalogo%2020131.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013

Moody 62 DS

The Albatross seems to share the concept of the Moody 45DS proposing smaller boats at an interesting price.

The moddy 45DS:

Moody have a new bigger boat, the DS 62.

These boats, including the Albatross are a lot better sailboats than the old generation motor-sailors.

there are many sailboats, specially old ones with a much worse performance. They share with the motorboats a kind of resemblance in what regards the interior disposition and the transition between deck and cabin:

That had already been tried by the French from Alliaura that on the Feeling 55 proposed even with two engines as standard. the Feeling 55 was a mixture of catamaran, monohull and motorboat. As a concept it was interesting but the French seem not have appreciated and they went bankrupt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2013

Surfari 53, am American modern motorsailor.

Yes, I know the name is pretty ridiculous and this kind of boats is not my cup of tea, but this is a very interesting and modern boat. If it is going to find a place on the heart of American sailors it is another story but it is what his designer, Ted Fontaine, an american NA more known to design classic looking boats believe. He believes not only on that but also says this would be the perfect cruiser for him.

He says about the boat:

"In looking back on the past several years I have seen an increase in the building of very large sailing yachts. While it is interesting to learn of the success of the very top end of the sail boat market, the midsized, higher quality market still seems to be stuck in the doldrums.

Perhaps the soft market can be attributed to the fact that nothing we have seen could be called transformational or even unique. The offerings on the midsized yacht market all look the same and seem to cater to the same demographic groups of buyers.

While there are some very refined world cruisers and some progressive racer cruisers I could find nothing that captured my attention for the way I envision most people are utilizing their existing boats.

There have been many performance cruisers and motor sailors designed and built over the years, many with a lot of desirable features, but I have never seen a good looking, good performing, family-oriented, sailing lifestyle platform such as what we have created with the SURFARI 53.

Having witnessed a complete generation of sailors abandoning sail for power, I set out to design and build a boat that would be an answer to those who share the same needs as I do - be it a day, a week or a month of coastal cruising. I wanted to create a yacht with an emphasis on outdoor living, a living platform for both social and recreational activities, as equally practical as comfortable. I envisioned a roomy living platform when anchored and a comfortable sun-protected space when sailing. And I want it to be ALL ONE LEVEL!

Most importantly I wanted the boat to be fast. Leisure time is short and because the best locations to spend the day are often the most remote, I wanted a vehicle that would move fast under sail or power.

After nearly six years of a soft market, the time has come for something truly unique. The SURFARI 53 may just be the next “picnic boat” of this generation.

- Ted Fontaine"

The boat has a modern hull with two rudders and a bulbed keel, should sail well even if I don't like the transom designed to sail with really minimal heeling angles and that will offer added drag to any considerable heel angle. The boat has a big tankage, and share the concept with other mixed concepts like the Moody 45 or the Feeling 55: without aft cabins, like the feeling purpose two engines and a interface beween cabin and cockpit similar to the ones in a motor boat.

http://www.friendshipyachtcompany.co...-mini-spec.pdf

I don't find any pictures so I suppose none has been built. They are purposed by a yacht company that offers very different classical sailing cruisers, also designed by the Fountaine groupe, the Friendship yacht company.

Take a look at one of their nicer designs, the 53, a very beautiful boat, even if I find it that for a classic boat it is a bit beamy. Anyway I would prefer it to the motor sailor that Ted Fontaine seems to favor even if that one offers a much bigger conviviality, a more modern interior and probably even sails faster, at least downwind. Well, probably it is just me and my taste for sleek sailboats, classic or not.

Last edited by PCP; 05-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interesting Sailboats

The Friendships are gorgeous.. not doubt.

The Surfari??? In any kind of sunny weather that things going to be growing beefsteak tomatoes like crazy. I'd expect that entire 'house' (aka greenhouse) is going to have to be shrouded even though it's open-backed. In the concept drawings, at least, the forward panels don't appear to open... Not one for the tropics... Not a bad looking hull, though, is it?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The Friendships are gorgeous.. not doubt.

The Surfari??? In any kind of sunny weather that things going to be growing beefsteak tomatoes like crazy. I'd expect that entire 'house' (aka greenhouse) is going to have to be shrouded even though it's open-backed. In the concept drawings, at least, the forward panels don't appear to open... Not one for the tropics... Not a bad looking hull, though, is it?

Yes, I don't like the transom design (sharp angles on the corners) but the hull seems a fast one to me and probably the boat is an overall better performance sailboat than a Friendship of the same size and it is also a motorsailor with all advantages.

It is an interesting concept ( to me the "house" seems closed by sliding doors) and I agree in what regards green house effect. Even with modern materials that reflect most of the sun heat they would have to be running the AC all the time buy maybe that is not a problem, the boat is a coastal one and has obviously the tankage and space for a big genset. The fact is that probably rich guys, the ones that like motor boats, would prefer to do that and enjoy the global view anyway: " an unique boat".

It would be easy to transform that boat in an interesting offshore more eco friendly version and also one much more pleasing to the eyes, but that was not for what the boat was designed for: I bet show off is an important design criteria, I mean, in what regards to impress friends on "pick-nicks".

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-06-2013

2013 Antigua sailing weak

Some great images featuring some very nice boats:

Old 05-07-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Stunning!
Wauquiez Dayboat 9: Exklusives Überraschungspaket - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE
PCP, DiasDePlaya and EricKLYC like this.
Old 05-07-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

I am a little bit confused: Will JPK deliver the 38 FC as a twin keel like they say on there homepage (http://www.jpk.fr/?titre=jpk-38-fast...ier_jpk&id=440 "bi quille") or with a pivoting keel like they say in the PDF (http://www.jpk.fr/modules/kameleon/u...if_38-GB.pdf)?

Paulo, do you think JPK will also build a 38 with more sail area (with a higher mast)?
Old 05-07-2013

Jpk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I am a little bit confused: Will JPK deliver the 38 FC as a twin keel like they say on there homepage (JPK "bi quille") or with a pivoting keel like they say in the PDF (http://www.jpk.fr/modules/kameleon/u...if_38-GB.pdf)?

Paulo, do you think JPK will also build a 38 with more sail area (with a higher mast)?
Jean Pierre Kelbert (JPK) is a fascinating guy and one of the more knowledgeable boat builders I know. He does not only build performance boats and racers from many years as he was himself and accomplished solo racer besides he is used to tailor made rigs to the needs of each top racer (solo) or crew.

He can not only make anything you want as he can give you valuable advice about everything that is sailing boat related. You will understand better your needs how they can be satisfied and the better options regarding the boat, keel and rigging options after talking to him.

He is a passionate guy and someone with whom it is a pleasure to talk too. If you are interested in the 38 or that kind of boat I advise you to contact him and go to Lorient to have a talk with him. Even if you don't buy a boat the talk what what you are going to learn from him deserves the voyage.

He will explain everything about the different keel options. I suspect that they are not making more /or any 38 with a swing keel due to extra costs. probably that will add 20 0000 euros to the boat price.

And if you go there, please post here what you have learned

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-07-2013

Wauquiez Dayboat 9

Robelz, thanks for posting about it. It is a beautiful boat by Berret / Racoupeau . On another thread about cruising we were reaching the conclusion that many use their boats not for cruising but to day-sail and I was saying it was a shame because a cruiser boat has a lot of compromises regarding what is needed for cruising and the sailing boat could be a much more fun and enjoyable boat if not compromised that way.

The Wauquiez Dayboat 9 explains exactly what I was trying to say. It seems that the Europeans are getting clever in what regards their boat options. In fact many don't use their cruising boats for cruising (just for sailing) but the number of expensive top day-sailers like this one has increased dramatically on the last years and it shows they are getting better boats and more enjoyable sailboats for what they really like or can do and the way they use their boats.

Last edited by PCP; 05-07-2013 at 05:54 AM.