Like Tree1263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,
You see this in the 409 where there is no option to go two cabin and increase the size of the galley. Instead the two cabin just gives you a bigger head and a bigger guest cabin.
These are observations more than criticisms.
The Hanse 370 allowed you to have a bigger galley in the two cabin configuration, but its replacement, the 375 doesn't give you a larger galley in the two cabin config. It was one of my favorite features of the Hanse.

The problem with the 409 is that the head is moved aft in the two cabin version, but then you loose the separate shower compartment, which was a good wet hanging locker. The port settee is lengthed, but it looks like it is not lengthened enough for an adult to sleep on it when someone is at the nav station. But you do get a large cockpit accessable storage locker where the port aft berth was.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post

The problem with the 409 is that the head is moved aft in the two cabin version, but then you loose the separate shower compartment, which was a good wet hanging locker. The port settee is lengthed, but it looks like it is not lengthened enough for an adult to sleep on it when someone is at the nav station. But you do get a large cockpit accessable storage locker where the port aft berth was.
I agree that it is a pity that they had not used the space for a bigger galley, but that is difficult and more expensive. What they have done is not a completely new layout but just some alterations to the layout. The Beneteau are one of the few that does that and quite well, I mean, two completely different layouts for two cabins or three cabins versions.

I am not sure but I am almost certain that the longer settee is big enough to function as a sea berth, even for big guys (In two weeks I will let you know) and I believe the separate shower is still there, and works with some curtain or other device. If you take a look you will see that the space for shower is actually bigger than the one in the two cabin version.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
The Hanse 370 allowed you to have a bigger galley in the two cabin configuration, but its replacement, the 375 doesn't give you a larger galley in the two cabin config. It was one of my favorite features of the Hanse.

Hey Slap...almost didn't recognise you without the Penguins....

I did a 'design your own boat' thing on the Jeanneau website and you can order a screen that divides the head compartment in two but its not a completely separate shower stall as in the three cabin.

Me I'd be perfectly happy with the three cabin head, port guest cabin same size as in three cabin and extend the galley into what is the starboard aft cabin.

Still and all, as Paulo says, its all about cost. You and me can just have the WLYDO and the Maestro design one for us from the ground up. I wish.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
You non US or NAmerica folks must have a design and price function I can not find on the jeanneau site.

I'm liking but not liking the new look. I personally would like to see a bit less freeboard, and more cabin. That is probably a "marty's eye" feel if you will.

Andrew. I do feel the Jeanneaus any how, ARE aiming at the vacation/weekender/daysailer vs a live aboard as I feel you are thinking from your standpoint. BUT< that is not to say that a Jeanneau could not be used as a live aboard, or other boats of equal design charactoristic, such as the B Oceanus, bavaria, catalina........etal that fit the mold as we are talking about here.

On the other hand, the owner of the local Jeanneau dealer, did take a 49iP for two years, went from here in the NW, to oz and back with wife and twin daughters. So the boats will handle full time use, and can work. Now comes the "HOW" do you want to load the boat etc. If one goes to jeanneau owners network - Home One can figure out thru some of the forum posts, that many are living year around in different parts of the world on there Jeanneau's. BUT, most are daysailors to maybe a 2-4 week cruise once a year, with some weekends if you will on there boats.

Marty
Old 11-18-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Slap...almost didn't recognise you without the Penguins....

I did a 'design your own boat' thing on the Jeanneau website and you can order a screen that divides the head compartment in two but its not a completely separate shower stall as in the three cabin.

Me I'd be perfectly happy with the three cabin head, port guest cabin same size as in three cabin and extend the galley into what is the starboard aft cabin.

Still and all, as Paulo says, its all about cost. You and me can just have the WLYDO and the Maestro design one for us from the ground up. I wish.
I agree with what you would like, and add that the area that was the starboard aft cabin is now storage accessable from both the cockpit and the cabin.

About costs? I've got one kid in college (freshman), and another starting next year. And the oldest is hinting at med school, and the youngest is talking about optometry school (four years postgrad). I'm doomed.

I just haven't set up any signature, so no penguins yet.

Old 11-19-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Bavaria 40

I have said on previous posts that the Bavaria 40 had a great running rigging and I have said also that the Bavaria looked a bit fat to me and have a particularly ugly interior.

It looks that tastes vary a lot because YachtingMontlhy tested the boat and found it beautiful. Well, British were always more attracted by practical things than beauty but even so, calling that saloon: "clean elegant and stylish" is just a bit too much for me . they also say that the "Bavaria 40 is a sight for sore eyes. Though she is a very beamy boat she doesn't look it".

Well I disagree, the saloon is appalling and the boat could look really good.... after a diet

But I agree with them when they give 7 out of 10 for the deck layout. They also give 8/10 on the helm "feeling" and sensibility, 9/10 in Design and construction, 9/10 in maintenance and 9/10 in sailing performance.

I find that 9/10 in sailing performance exaggerated. Sure the boat would smoke a 40 Halberg-Rassy a Malo or even a Beneteau, but that very good performance was attained with the use of a huge geenaker, that many sailors would not use.

The German magazine "Yacht" that had also tested the boat give it a potential speed performance of 4.33 while they had given to the previous Bavaria 40 4.5 (4.0 for regular cruiser, 5.0 for regular cruiser racer) and that is what I have said. This boat is slower than the previous model, Farr designed or not .

I trust more the German testers, they really try to be objective. Their measured speeds with 16/21k wind and 0.6m waves where:

40º - 6.7K 60º - 7.5K 90º - 8K 130º (Geenaker) - 9K

The British with 8k wind on a broad reach with gennaker made 7.5K and on a beam reach 6.9K and close hauled with 6K wind made 5.4K.

Not bad for a modern cruiser (incredible fast if we compare it with a 20 yerar's old cruiser), but I guess I can not forgive it the fact that the previous model was faster

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Huzzah...penguins....

Marty....agreed that there are plenty of boats that are supposedly not true blue water cruisers that have done a lap or two and plenty of them have been Jeanneaus, not to mention Hunters, Bennies, Bavarias etc. We are probably being overly pedantic but what the heck, this is dreamland so we look for perfection.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-20-2010

Mark F is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have any photos of a Cowhorn built in Coral Bay, St John, usvi?

Back in th 1980's I was building a house on East End and would frequently see Cowhorns with their unique sail planform.
Old 11-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Does anyone have any photos of a Cowhorn built in Coral Bay, St John, usvi?

Back in th 1980's I was building a house on East End and would frequently see Cowhorns with their unique sail planform.
Like so? a couple of hits on a google image search....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-20-2010

Mark F is on a distinguished road
No, but thanks for looking Faster and PCP.

They are cat ketch double enders with free standing masts of nearly equal height. Each sail has a small gaff and look almost identical.

I did find one photo but it looks like I'm not allowed to post photo's

Last edited by Mark F; 11-20-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: add photo