Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasaziracing View Post
Very kind of you to post about our atypical cruising life on the Finot-Conq Open 40. Sad that the Class 40 market took over and no more of these Open 40 designs were built. So we feel very lucky to have this special boat to go wave surfing on.

It may not be the most comfortable vessel to live on in port, but it is the safest boat I could imagine crossing an ocean in, especially in the roaring 40s!

Best,
Somira
So, I get corrected. I found strange that in your blog it said it is a Carbon boat since the only carbon part of a 40 class racer is the mast. So it is not a class 40 but a Finot Open 40! Canting keel or not?

The reason they have opted for the Class40 to substitute the Open40's has to do with price. Those Open40, even without canting keel were hugely expensive, carbon and all

Again, congratulations on your photos, they are just great.

Fell free to post when you like and don't be a stranger, give us news about your voyages, I am sure they will interest many here.

Lots of members on this site live permanently abroad and cruise extensively, others sail boats not very different than yours, just a bit less fast and more "bourgeois" (Pogo 12.50).

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2013

Flying Phantom:

Whem I saw this movie about the Flying Phantom I was not very impressed. After all the F18 is a very fast cat and the Phantom seemed to hesitate between foiling speed and "natural" speed and didn't look faster.

But this one convinced me:

They anounce 26.4K with 9/11.5K wind and that's fantastic

they say about the boat:

The Flying Phantom is not an F18, it is especially designed for foiling. The hull shape is the only common part shared with the F18 Phantom, the boat is lighter and wider than an F18.

"After an intensive year of research, development and countless hours of testing, SAIL INNOVATION is proud to launch the Phantom Formula 18.

The Phantom project was born in order to design the finest F18. World Champions Olivier Backes and Arnaud Jarlegan worked in close collaboration with renowned designer Martin Fischer.

The goal was to produce the most accomplished Formula 18, fast in all conditions and easy to sail.

During the last 12 months of testing, the entire team has been fully dedicated to fine tuning every detail in order to get a fully optimized, reliable and user friendly boat.

The boat has been tested in normal course racing and long distance races by highly skilled sailors such as: Olivier Backes, Xavier Revil and Jean Christophe Mourniac. All have provided very accurate feedback to evolve the performance of the boat. Additionally, weekend club sailors have also been involved in this testing campaign in order to ensure the boat is easy to use.

The Phantom Formula 18 is a unique high-end product in terms of design, construction and finishing quality.

All hull components – hull shell, bulkheads, sub-decks - are built under vacuum which improves the structural properties and makes the boat stiffer and more durable.

As a standard the Phantom offers hollow full carbon autoclaved daggerboards and rudders. This top of the range technology provides the best weight / strength / stiffness ratio.

The Phantom is now available in Limited Edition. In order to maintain the highest quality and the value of the boat on the second hand market, only 25 Phantom will be produced in 2013."

The boat is in production now and it sells for 19650 Euros (ex tax, ex factory -Europe- for standard colors -white, black or red- with a full set of SAIL INNOVATION sails).

I would expect to see these babies racing together soon. This is less than half the price of J70 and seems to me twice the fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasaziracing View Post
Very kind of you to post about our atypical cruising life on the Finot-Conq Open 40. Sad that the Class 40 market took over and no more of these Open 40 designs were built. So we feel very lucky to have this special boat to go wave surfing on.

It may not be the most comfortable vessel to live on in port, but it is the safest boat I could imagine crossing an ocean in, especially in the roaring 40s!

Best,
Somira

As someone who feels strongly that children should not be the reason to avoid or stop sailing, I think your story is inspirational, Somira. Welcome to Sailnet.

Paulo has posted some of your great shots and photos, we're looking forward to more - you'll be a great addition to the forum.

Welcome!
EricKLYC likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
robelz (05-28-2013)
Old 05-27-2013

Django 6.70

New boat from the boat builder "Maree Hault", the 6.70.

The shipyards has a funny story: The owner, Serge Calvez, was a furniture maker, a good one, with a passion for sailing.

We decided to make his own boat, a mini racer over the plans of Pierre Rolland. The boat was made and bit by bit he passed from the furniture to boat building with the help of Rolland that was making the drawings. As the building in maritime plywood was more expensive he ended up making fiberglass boats.

He started with the minis racers and then started to use the principle that makes the mini racer the fastest and safest small solo racer to make very small cruisers with offshore capability. I had talked here already about the Django 7.70, that offers for about 50 000 euros a fast mini cruiser with a good cruising interior:

and talked about a French guy, Christophe Mora, that is going to circumnavigate in one and is looking for partners for the different legs. He is going to leave in august. If you are interested:

? sur terres | Into the wind

He is a full line of small racers and cruisers, all very interesting boats, designed by not less interesting designer/racer, Pierre Rolland.

Marée Haute - Home

www.rolland-archi.com

The new boat, the 6.70 will be the smaller, based directly on the mini racer but with a better interior and a lifting keel. A nice looking boat

PS.

For the ones that look for an interesting used 36ft fast cruiser, this Rolland design seems great, even if not for the asking price:

http://www.bateau-fifty-occasion.com...ulo/index.html
EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 05-27-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2013

Portuguese Traditional Boats: Moliceiro

Some years ago a genetic study detected a somewhat important Phoenician trace on the Portuguese genetic pool. Well, I would say that if we look at some of the traditional boats we can see that, I mean that Eastern, oriental influence. Look at these beauties:

Old 05-28-2013

Thumbs up One of my preferred boats got even better: Malango 1045

One of the things I hate more in my boat is to have to carry the dinghy over the cockpit: Not a problem, the boat is wide enough and the dingy narrow enough not to constitute a problem regarding lateral passage. The dingy only weighs 17kg and it is very easy to take it out or put it on the water. It has nothing to do with practicability but with looks: What is the use to have a beautiful boat is then I have to make it ugly with a dinghy, making it look heavy and inelegant? A dingy hanging on the back of the boat is even worse and more dangerous on a relatively small boat.

Normally you have to have big boat to have a proper garage, generally with a minimum of 50ft and even so very few offer that with that size, except the Malango, I mean the Malango offers it in a 10m boat (999).

That's not the only thing I kike on the Malango, I like the top construction that allows it to weight only 3600kg, I like the deep swing keel that allows a huge draft (2.50) with the possibility to have it breached (with the help two lateral "legs" that you deploy from the cockpit), I like the light and "clean" interior with a good galley and very good storage, I like the Jules Marin designed hull based on open boats, I like the big 36% D/B ratio (considering a draft of 2.50 and a lower CG keel), I like the way it sails starting to make 2 digit speeds with 20K winds and about wind speed with 5K wind. Yes, I like very much the Malango 999:

But now they have a better one, the 1045 that is the old 999 with about more half a meter on a skirt. Result: about half a knot more speed, more storage and a better interface with the water, for swimming or going out of the dinghy. I love it even more

Last edited by PCP; 05-28-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Paulo,

The Malango is an interesting boat, can it go off shore or is it a coastal weekend boat? I did not notice a chain locker, an anchor yes, but?

What is the green area for in the drawing?

Nice boat for a couple of any age.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by hannah2; 05-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: One of my preferred boats got even better: Malango 1045

I certainly agree, Paulo. Tenders tend to suffer the same curse the yachts they tend to: the bigger they are, the more we seem to like them, except when out of use. Then we wish they could just disappear, and that’s exactly what Malango’s do with their tenders. “Chapeau”, certainly if you know this garage does not leave a ridiculous interior, even on a smaller boat such as the 888.

During our many visits to Britanny we also visited the IDB Marine boatyard that builds these Malango’s. Small and somewhat clumsy in appearance, but clearly driven by a bunch of enthusiasts who immediately make you feel at home and inspire confidence and competence. The kind of places special boats are built and customers are probably not treated as numbers on a order form, the same spirit we experienced with Structures.
If they had a design sufficiently spacious to host our breed of basketball players, we would certainly also have considered a Malango.

I also very much liked your post about the Django’s and especially the 6.70. Statistics all over Europe show the average age of boat owners is rising dramatically. So we need more of this kind of designs to attract young people to yachting. This one can be beached, trailed and launched without a crane, saving quite a lot of costs and extending the sailing horizon at the same time. Adding the performance I believe this is a very promising cocktail to recruit young addicts.

I only think the lifted keel will be a very bothersome intrusion in the interior, especially on such a small boat. But I understand a swinging keel would make this little boat too expensive for the market segment it is intended to.
Although I am myself used to (and perfectly happy with) a basic interior, I don’t like concessions on the finishing touch and the way wires are left unprotected (such as on the 7.70 interior picture) is asking for immediate trouble. It won’t take more than a few nice waves and an inadvertent crewmember to tear these off. But covering them is of course an easy job and DIY is an essentiel skill starting yachtsmen better acquire as soon as possible.

So I very much welcome these innovative and attractive designs and certainly hope many more will follow.

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 05-28-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Paulo,

The Malango is an interesting boat, can it go off shore or is it a coastal weekend boat? I did not notice a chain locker, an anchor yes, but?

What is the green area for in the drawing?

Nice boat for a couple of any age.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

The green spaces seem to me storage spaces. It has certainly a chain locker (at white in the drawing).

The boat is not a weekend cruiser, I would say a coastal cruiser with offshore potential. The boat has a big stability and many boats of this type make the Transquadra (a transat) and I don't remember of anyone having seaworthiness problems. Not a boat to sail on high latitudes or on the wrong season offshore though.

Regards

Paulo

Old 05-28-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

If you look very closely at the second Malango video, it does appear to have an anchor locker in the bow, as evidenced by what looks like a stainless steel latch where one might expect to find one for a locker, as well as a small raised nacelle just aft of the headsail furling drum, presumably to allow the anchor rode to enter / exit. Also, one of the interior shots looks like it shows what would be an anchor locker extending down and aft into the forepeak. Hard to believe this boat would be lacking in that regard.

I never know quite what people mean when they ask if a boat can go "offshore" - one can cross oceans in just about anything. The Malango seems perfectly suitable for extended ocean sailing, and based on the video and reputation of the boat yard, I wouldn't hesitate to sail it from the U.S. East Coast to the Caribbean, for example.

However, the Malango is clearly not intended as a blue water cruiser - it lacks storage and tankage that most people would consider necessities for such usage. Of course, that doesn't mean that there are not people who might circumnavigate in one. Alessandro Di Benedetto went around in a Mini 6.50, for goodness sake. And after reading Paulo's posts about the Polish women who did solo circumnavigations in the Mantra 28 I have a new appreciation for the seaworthiness of small boats. The Malango might even do the trick for me.

NOTE: Have to love this quote from the IDB Marine web site, regarding the Malango 888: "Malango 888 is primarily a pleasure boat, designed both for use as a day-boat or for a Transquadra..." I guess that answers the question about the offshore suitability of these boats.

Last edited by MrPelicano; 05-28-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.