Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Probably the most beautiful 2013 boat: Pogo 40 S3

How about Akilaria RC3 for this beauty pageant

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by G1000; 05-31-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Probably the most beautiful 2013 boat: Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
How about Akilaria RC3 for this beauty pageant
I believe that the "Like" button needs to be replaced by a "Lust" button. These new generation Class 40 boats are the Bugatti Veyrons of yacht racing, IMHO.

Last edited by MrPelicano; 05-31-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mirabaud LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Had the opportunity last night to race on a boat that will never do the ARC or any other ocean crossing - an Ultra 30.

... Not sure if I'll be a regular crew on this boat, given my advanced age and declining health, but it was definitely a fun experience.
That seems like great fun. Not a boat for old guys like me but even so for a while it should be fantastic. There are many similar boats racing in Switzerland on the lakes.

The tendency for those boats is going on foils now. Look at the Mirabaud: 5K wind, 12K speed

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2013

Akilaria RC3

[quote=G1000;1037733]How about Akilaria RC3 for this beauty pageant

Looking at it we would say it is the same designer. It is not, this one is a Marc Lombard design. It only shows they are all going along the same path in what regards hull/transom design and low free-board. Marc Lombard makes some very interesting comments about that path and the boat performance:

"The Akilaria 40 RC3 is a completely new boat.*The design is based on the background provided by the previous Akilarias RC1 and RC2, but the hull, deck, appendages, mast and interior have been redesigned.*The objective is to provide a fully optimised boat regarding the current Class 40 rules and race program.*This includes the Global Ocean Race, for which the ISAF Category 0 is required.

Hull optimization was carried out using numerical simulation tools.*Various cases were studied, varying heel and leeway angles, speeds, water ballast and sail configurations.*The starting point of the design was to match the performance of RC2 downwind in light to medium winds.*The RC2 is indeed among the fastest in those conditions.*This constraint sets maximum values in terms of waterline beam, transom immersion and volume of the forward part of the hull."

"The forward freeboard is slightly increased in comparison to the RC2 to enhance water deflection.*The aft freeboard is reduced in order to keep a
mean freeboard close to the minimum allowed by the rule.*A large 45 degrees
chamfer on the sheer line is designed in order to further reduce the apparent
stability during the 90 degrees stability test.*In the class 40 rule, a low freeboard is essential for optimal performance.*Indeed, the test limiting the stability is performed at 90 degrees of heel.*

At this extreme heel angle, the lower the freeboard, the lower the center of gravity can be shifted for the same measured stability. A lower CG provides higher stability at conventional sailing heel angles and a better dynamic behavior.*A boat providing the “minimum weight and maximum stiffness, measured by the rule” but not the minimum freeboard is therefore not optimum."

http://www.akilaria.com/Akilaria%20R...ochure%202.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
... These new generation Class 40 boats are the Bugatti Veyrons of yacht racing, IMHO.
Not really they are a lot more amazing: That would be only true if you could buy a Bugatti Veyron for the price of a Mercedes or BMW sedan...and the Bugatti costs 10 times more.

These 40class racers cost less than a 40ft Halberg-Rassy. That is only possible because the rule is designed to allow for inexpensive racers with a top speed potential. Very expensive materials, including Carbon are forbidden, except on the masts and spars.

Regards

Paulo
EricKLYC and MrPelicano like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2013

AVS list.

Many want to know the AVS of their boat or the AVS of the boat that they are interested in having. I had already explained that the AVS is just a part of the relevant information about boat stability and that a Stability curve would allow much more information (including AVS) but sometimes, specially in what regards older boats, none is available and this better than nothing. This is a STIX & AVS list held by IRS Rating Office:

http://www.ircrating.org/images/stor...web_latest.xls

Old 05-31-2013

Re: Akilaria RC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Not really they are a lot more amazing: That would be only true if you could buy a Bugatti Veyron for the price of a Mercedes or BMW sedan...and the Bugatti costs 10 times more.

These 40class racers cost less than a 40ft Halberg-Rassy. That is only possible because the rule is designed to allow for inexpensive racers with a top speed potential. Very expensive materials, including Carbon are forbidden, except on the masts and spars.

Regards

Paulo
True in terms of cost, but still a good comparison in terms of "sexy" and I think the Bugatti may be the sexiest car ever built.

Which raises the question: With respect to monohulls, if one was not constrained by either money, materials or a design rule, what would the most high performance boat look like at 40 feet? I am thinking that the Class 40s, even with those constraints, are probably not far from the ideal. Presumably, building them in carbon and adding canting keels would further increase performance, but what else could be done?

Can anyone think of another boat of this length that would be faster all around - i.e., upwind and downwind?

Last edited by Faster; 05-31-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 05-31-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Minis...

Hi guys!

While we're talking about Class 40's, I figured this video of mini 650's might be appropriate. Enjoy!

//Mr W
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr W For This Useful Post:
EricKLYC (06-03-2013), PCP (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Yes, that Mini 6.5 practice session video has been making the rounds. The guys from Open Sailing, out in Los Angeles, posted it on Facebook earlier today, then a friend of mine in Canada, with whom I've raced a 6.50 in the past, sent it to me in e-mail. Great stuff and great little boats. If I lived in Europe, I would have one in a heartbeat. But can't justify it for myself here in the U.S.

As Paulo has posted a few weeks ago, there are currently two French sailors circumnavigating their Mini 6.5 doublehanded. I believe they just reached the Galapagos Islands, after passing through the Panama Canal, but haven't checked in the last week. And, of course, Alessandro Di Benedetto did a circumnavigation non-stop around the Capes in a modified Mini a few years back.

For me, the Mini Class represents everything I love about sailing.
Old 05-31-2013

Things I don't like...

Do you guys saw what happened to OSTAR, once a great big race and the first solo Transat?

Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now it is this:

Skipper Profiles | OSTAR 2013

Old men, old racing boats with the exception of an Open 50 (that has not impressed on major races) and a class 40 (with a 73 old skipper). The others are mostly just old boats, including a Formosa 42.

I have nothing against sailors amusing themselves racing, I love solo racing and any form of competition, even if it is with oneself, but can this be called an OSTAR race?

I mean, this is the race that once was won by some of the greatest skippers of their time on the fastest solo boats??!!!: Éric Tabarly, Geoffrey Williams, Alain Colas, Philip Weld, Yvon Fauconnier, Jean Yves Terlain, Loïck Peyron, Francis Joyon, Ellen MacArthur, Michel Desjoyeaux and Mike Golding all have won it on the most modern and fast racers of their time.....and now it is raced with 25 year old multihulls, Formosas, Saltram, Contessas and third rate skippers?

Please respect what was once a great race and the best of the best that won it and call this race anything else but OSTAR

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hey Paulo,
is the performance of a class 950 racer somehow comparable to a JPK 960? Will there be big differences in comfort?