Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Figaro II

And since we do not have movies of this year Solitaire du Figaro, let's have some from the last 2013 races and some other:

and with these ones I say "au revoir". I am going out sailing and I will post very rarely. Keep up the good work and have fun
MrPelicano likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013

volfan615 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
T

In the meantime, the more I read the Interesting Boats forum, the harder it is becoming to choose the right boat for performance cruising. Once again, I blame the Europeans for designing and building one amazing boat after another, each one intriguing and enticing. I love J/Boats as much as the next person, but there is nothing like this going on in the United States today. Indeed, without J/Boats I would say the U.S. boat building business would basically be dead.
It's interesting to read this as I have been saying this also. All of the interesting racer/cruisers, performance cruisers are all from Europe. with little or no representation in the US.
Old 06-04-2013

alex_burgis is on a distinguished road
Re: Things I don't like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Do you guys saw what happened to OSTAR, once a great big race and the first solo Transat?

wiki link (removed link due to forum limits)

Now it is this:

ostar website (removed link due to forum limits)

Old men, old racing boats with the exception of an Open 50 (that has not impressed on major races) and a class 40 (with a 73 old skipper). The others are mostly just old boats, including a Formosa 42.

I have nothing against sailors amusing themselves racing, I love solo racing and any form of competition, even if it is with oneself, but can this be called an OSTAR race?

I mean, this is the race that once was won by some of the greatest skippers of their time on the fastest solo boats??!!!: Éric Tabarly, Geoffrey Williams, Alain Colas, Philip Weld, Yvon Fauconnier, Jean Yves Terlain, Loïck Peyron, Francis Joyon, Ellen MacArthur, Michel Desjoyeaux and Mike Golding all have won it on the most modern and fast racers of their time.....and now it is raced with 25 year old multihulls, Formosas, Saltram, Contessas and third rate skippers?

Please respect what was once a great race and the best of the best that won it and call this race anything else but OSTAR

written as PM to OP - not enough posts to pm so here it is

Hi, my name is Alex and I'm a student at the University of Plymouth in the UK, studying Navigation and Maritime Science. I'm a mature student (30 years old) and I've come from an IT/web development background to follow a career in yachting.
I was lucky enough to marry these two passions together when the opportunity came up to get involved with the prestigious and historic OSTAR which is run by the Royal Western Yacht Club of England.
I got a pingback from your links on these boards through our website and I was sorry to read that you feel the 2013 event is underwhelming when compared to previous events.

I wanted to comment on a couple of your points and hopefully share some ideas that will change your mind on this exciting, albeit under subscribed 2013 event.
Firstly, your point about the Transat race and the history of professional racers taking part.
The wiki page is misleading, the Transat 2004 and 2008 events were actually in no way related to the historic RWYC OSTAR events.
To my knowledge, Michel Desjoyeaux has not sailed an RWYC OSTAR campaign. Other than that, your list of previous competitors is correct, and what a list (heroes)!!
Since the OSTAR's inception in 1956 and first race in 1960, a huge range of boats have taken part, from cruisers to performance racers. Every race has seen a real mix of competitors, all doing this amateur race for their own personal reasons and in "Corinthian spirit".
In 2000, the OSTAR, then known as Europe 1 New Man STAR, saw many professional racers who were following the tradition of using the event as a feeder and training ground for bigger professional solo events such as Vendee. The RWYC is a non-profit organisation run by volunteers and many of the race committee have been in that position since the first race! The demands of professional race teams and their shore crews quickly outgrew the facilities and capabilities of the club. There was additional strain with the insurance requirements for such a fleet that RWYC was not capable of covering. As such, after the 2000 race the organisers added the following to the standard NoR, "Boats over 50 feet will only be accepted on a case by case basis due to an agreement with OC Events. IMOCA 60 and ORMA 60 class boats shall not be accepted."
The Transat was born! A professional event was organised and raced, completely separate from the OSTAR. This was done again in 2008 with title sponsor Artemis. After that, the race organisation for the Transat completely collapsed and the event has not been repeated.
The OSTAR NoR amendment remains. The event was intentionally returned to a small yacht club event targeted at non-professional sailors.
The 2009 OSTAR saw the end of several key organiser's time with the event. Because of this, the 2013 project was late off the ground and suffered a lack of PR and marketing in the early days. This year's event also coincides with several large solo events such as Class 40 Worlds. This has led to the event being a bit disappointing in terms of numbers but check this out;
The Formosa 42 you mentioned is skippered by a veteran of the race, Mervyn Wheatley. This is his 4th OSTAR and he has won his class in previous years!
Nico Budel (74) has also won his class on the Class 40 in 2005 OSTAR.
The old trimaran came 2nd in the 2005 event, Roger Langevin has a long sailing CV with much success and he is mostly doing this for fun.
One of the leisurely-paced tracks to follow is Peter Crowther on his Swan 38 Suomi Kudu, this is his ninth OSTAR! In '72 he did it in a gaff and it took him 89 days!
The story, passion and history that you say is missing from this 2013 event is actually the only thing left. The race was designed as a bet between friends whilst on a train. Francis Chichester and Blondie Hasler conceived of the race and ran it for nothing more than personal achievement and the half crown (old money) bet. Most of this year's competitors are just here for a tick on bucket list.

Check out Jac Sandberg's Corby 30 'Spirit'. I think it's an incredible little boat, 3rd highest handicap after the Open 50 and Class 40.

While the future of the race remains uncertain, I am still dedicated to doing my part in making it great, even if it's without the celebrity sailors and their F1 race yachts.

Anyway, if your eyes made it this far down, congratulations.
I hope you found this a little bit informative and hopefully it helped change your mind about the event. Leave the pros to the pro events and enjoy these amateurs demonstrating true courage and daring by doing what most of us only dream of!

With warm regards,
Alex Burgis - OSTAR 2013 Committee

The views expressed in this message may not reflect those of the author or any other person real or imagined. Sarcasm and internet anonymity often result in messages on the interwebs with no actual basis in reality.

Last edited by alex_burgis; 06-04-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

? Was that Chichester's warm up to the Golden Globe?
Old 06-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Ostar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_burgis View Post

Hi, my name is Alex and I'm a student at the University of Plymouth in the UK, studying Navigation and Maritime Science. I'm a mature student (30 years old) and I've come from an IT/web development background to follow a career in yachting.
I was lucky enough to marry these two passions together when the opportunity came up to get involved with the prestigious and historic OSTAR which is run by the Royal Western Yacht Club of England.
I got a pingback from your links on these boards through our website and I was sorry to read that you feel the 2013 event is underwhelming when compared to previous events.

I wanted to comment on a couple of your points and hopefully share some ideas that will change your mind on this exciting, albeit under subscribed 2013 event.
Firstly, your point about the Transat race and the history of professional racers taking part.
The wiki page is misleading, the Transat 2004 and 2008 events were actually in no way related to the historic RWYC OSTAR events.
To my knowledge, Michel Desjoyeaux has not sailed an RWYC OSTAR campaign. Other than that, your list of previous competitors is correct, and what a list (heroes)!!
Since the OSTAR's inception in 1956 and first race in 1960, a huge range of boats have taken part, from cruisers to performance racers. Every race has seen a real mix of competitors, all doing this amateur race for their own personal reasons and in "Corinthian spirit".
In 2000, the OSTAR, then known as Europe 1 New Man STAR, saw many professional racers who were following the tradition of using the event as a feeder and training ground for bigger professional solo events such as Vendee. The RWYC is a non-profit organisation run by volunteers and many of the race committee have been in that position since the first race! The demands of professional race teams and their shore crews quickly outgrew the facilities and capabilities of the club. There was additional strain with the insurance requirements for such a fleet that RWYC was not capable of covering. As such, after the 2000 race the organisers added the following to the standard NoR, "Boats over 50 feet will only be accepted on a case by case basis due to an agreement with OC Events. IMOCA 60 and ORMA 60 class boats shall not be accepted."
The Transat was born! A professional event was organised and raced, completely separate from the OSTAR. This was done again in 2008 with title sponsor Artemis. After that, the race organisation for the Transat completely collapsed and the event has not been repeated.
The OSTAR NoR amendment remains. The event was intentionally returned to a small yacht club event targeted at non-professional sailors.
The 2009 OSTAR saw the end of several key organiser's time with the event. Because of this, the 2013 project was late off the ground and suffered a lack of PR and marketing in the early days. This year's event also coincides with several large solo events such as Class 40 Worlds. This has led to the event being a bit disappointing in terms of numbers but check this out;
The Formosa 42 you mentioned is skippered by a veteran of the race, Mervyn Wheatley. This is his 4th OSTAR and he has won his class in previous years!
The old trimaran came 2nd in the 2005 event, Roger Langevin has a long sailing CV with much success and he is mostly doing this for fun.
One of the leisurely-paced tracks to follow is Peter Crowther on his Swan 38 Suomi Kudu, this is his ninth OSTAR! In '72 he did it in a gaff and it took him 89 days!
The story, passion and history that you say is missing from this 2013 event is actually the only thing left. The race was designed as a bet between friends whilst on a train. Francis Chichester and Blondie Hasler conceived of the race and ran it for nothing more than personal achievement and the half crown (old money) bet. Most of this year's competitors are just here for a tick on bucket list.

Check out Jac Sandberg's Corby 30 'Spirit'. I think it's an incredible little boat, 3rd highest handicap after the Open 50 and Class 40.

While the future of the race remains uncertain, I am still dedicated to doing my part in making it great, even if it's without the celebrity sailors and their F1 race yachts.

I hope you found this a little bit informative and hopefully it helped change your mind about the event. Leave the pros to the pro events and enjoy these amateurs demonstrating true courage and daring by doing what most of us only dream of!

With warm regards,

The views expressed in this message may not reflect those of the author or any other person real or imagined. Sarcasm and internet anonymity often result in messages on the interwebs with no actual basis in reality.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your nice post and explanations even if I am a little baffled with this:

If that was not your opinion what's the point? But i think it was

I love racing in all forms including amateur ones and even if I hate the word "Corinthians", that comes to mean what means today in English by a very tortuous way and denying their original meaning. Our disagreement has only to do with maintaining the name OSTAR, that once stand for the top racing Transat to what is today a minor amateur Transat. Names stand for things and the reality that stand once for OSTAR is not the same today.

A race can be an amateur one and be very competitive, like the French Transquadra. Unless a race has an huge number of boats, like ARC, having a lot of classes with very few competitors for each class in boats with very different performances will always give a race with little competition and little interest except for the ones racing.

I hope you take my criticism and differences of opinion with an open mind, wishing you and OSTAR all the luck for the future as a race.

I was not supposing to having time to reply since I am busy taking care of things for my sailing season that starts tomorrow and I will not have time for continue this exchange of opinions, at least now, but I would not be impolite to the point of not replying to your nice letter.

all the best

Paulo

PS I hope this was the link you wanted to post?

OSTAR 2013 | The Original Single Handed Trans-Atlantic Race

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-06-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Things I don't like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_burgis View Post

With warm regards,

Alex +1
Very well said
Old 06-05-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
? Was that Chichester's warm up to the Golden Globe?
Chichester did not race in the Golden Globe.
Old 06-07-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Paulo already announced the Pogo 30, successor of the succesful 8.50. Much awaited, probably too long for many of the 30 future owners who already ordered one on plans even before the very first one was launched. Quite exceptional in the actual boat market where even strong brands such as Southerly are in difficulty .

But now the very first Pogo 30 is finally on the water and the video teaser of the test by Voiles&Voiliers is online. Apart from performance, these images also show the nice oceanic swell we like so much. And what seems like a very bad squall too…
(sorry, I cant’ find an embedded code):

Pogo 30 : digne successeur du 8,50 (teaser)

This first video confirms the impression I had the last time we were at the Structures boatyard: the 30 is very much like a 12.50 but smaller, clearly designed by the same NA bureau Finot-Conq. But I suppose the different scale also implies other solutions here and there. And I also expect them to have learned from the 12.50 to further improve this kind of design. So I much await the publication of the test itself, the extensive video and Paulo’s opinion at his return (meantime enjoy the cruise, Paulo !).

Except fast cruising, the Pogo 30 is said to be intended also for racing e.g. the Transquadra. Therefore a more performant fixed T-bulb keel is foreseen instead of the swinging keel. With the Sun Fasts and JPK’s around this should give a nice competition.

On the pure “open 40” racing scene things seem to be moving fast, also for Structures. The Pogo 40 S2 (the hull upon which the 12.50 cruiser is based), although only a few years old and certainly not unsuccessful, will already be followed by the newly designed 40 S3 next year (again Finot-Conq).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

Then the Pogo 2 got a longer lifespan, a much older design but still difficult to beat in the Mini 6.50 series category. But now they are also working on a model of the future Pogo 3 (this time not Finot-Conq but Verdier as NA).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Busy guys, there in Britanny!

Best regards,

Eric
PCP, bjung and Mr W like this.
Old 06-08-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

The S3 is a Verdier design, too...
Old 06-08-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
The S3 is a Verdier design, too...
Are you sure?

Sur l’eau, à quoi ressemblera ce Pogo S3 ? Eh bien au Pogo S2 car le pont et le rouf resteront identiques à ceux de la génération précédente. La carène en revanche n’est plus la même, comme nous l’explique son architecte, Pascal Conq : « Il s’agit de faire un bateau toujours plus puissant mais pratiquement sans augmenter la surface mouillée ». Les modifications ont surtout porté sur l’augmentation du volume des formes avant. Résultat, un bateau plus puissant, qui déjauge plus facilement.
Mon Voile Mag , Archive » Un nouveau Class 40 : le Pogo 40 S3

Vorige Woche wurde in der Werft in Combrit, nahe dem idyllischen Hafenstädtchen Sainte Marine, der hölzerne Positivkern für die spätere Form der Pogo 40 S3 gehobelt und verschliffen. Der Entwuf stammt von Finot-Conq, den langjährigen Haus-Konstrukteuren.
POGO 40 S3: Neue Pogo Class 40 im Bau - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

Best regards,

Eric