Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

A Pogo 3 6.50 from Verdier would be a powerful weapon indeed, and might spell the end of alternatives in the series class. The Pogo 2 is already so dominant, the Pogo 3 might be the coup de grâce, except perhaps only on the basis of cost. Not sure that would be a bad thing - sort of a natural evolution towards a one design (monotype) class for the 6.50, with innovation trickling in from the protos.
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 06-08-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Are you sure?

Sur l’eau, à quoi ressemblera ce Pogo S3 ? Eh bien au Pogo S2 car le pont et le rouf resteront identiques à ceux de la génération précédente. La carène en revanche n’est plus la même, comme nous l’explique son architecte, Pascal Conq : « Il s’agit de faire un bateau toujours plus puissant mais pratiquement sans augmenter la surface mouillée ». Les modifications ont surtout porté sur l’augmentation du volume des formes avant. Résultat, un bateau plus puissant, qui déjauge plus facilement.
Mon Voile Mag , Archive » Un nouveau Class 40 : le Pogo 40 S3

Vorige Woche wurde in der Werft in Combrit, nahe dem idyllischen Hafenstädtchen Sainte Marine, der hölzerne Positivkern für die spätere Form der Pogo 40 S3 gehobelt und verschliffen. Der Entwuf stammt von Finot-Conq, den langjährigen Haus-Konstrukteuren.
POGO 40 S3: Neue Pogo Class 40 im Bau - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

Best regards,

Eric
And in the same article in the Yacht magazine it is said it was made by Verdier. Look under the first picture...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013

Looking closely at the Pogo 30 base specifications, I notice that the boat as shown in the teaser video on Voiles et Voiliers is sporting quite a bit of optimization. For one, it has a carbon rig, which allows for no backstay and, therefore, the use of the big flat-head main. Standard configuration is with an aluminium rig, fixed backstay and more traditional main. This will mean a big difference in performance, I suspect.

Second, and obvious from the photos of the launch, is the swing keel vs. the standard fixed keel. The swing keel is a €6530 option (for the carbon rig, you have to request a quote, but likely in the neighborhood €10-12K, perhaps more).

I will wager that by the time you kit out the boat with sails and electronics, you're looking at around €140-€160K / $185-$210K. My initial reaction is to be somewhat shocked, but this is comparable to a Beneteau First 30 fully kitted with a carbon rig, so perhaps this is where the performance end of the 30-foot range can be found these days. Of course, there are less expensive alternatives, but you will give up some performance I suppose.

Regardless, the Pogo 30 is an impressive looking boat and will go on my short-list, though not as a brand new purchase.
Old 06-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
And in the same article in the Yacht magazine it is said it was made by Verdier. Look under the first picture...
if I remember correctly they had said all the way it was a Verdier project and after that they modified the article and forgot to modify on the picture.

So it seems that they were wrong and lead me to post wrong information. In fact I am happy to know that Pogo and Finot/Conq maintain an old and fruitful collaboration that lead to a fantastic boats and a great number of victories.

Pascal Conq is quoted in voile magazine blog saying it was designed by him and talks about the differences to the previous model so unless something funny is going on, it is a Finot/Conq design.

Funny that nothing is said about it on the Finot/Conq site, on the facebook Structures page a question about who was the designer was not answered and the say nothing about it, nor in the Pogo main site.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-09-2013

Solitaire du Figaro

And it seems that only me and MrPelicano (why the hell you are a Pelicano with a dog look?) were following it. Well I still am, even with little time. They finished the first Leg in Porto and leaved already for Gijon.

The good old Yann Elies beat them all and stars like Armel le Cleach (second last vendee), Michel Desjoieaux (two times Vendee winner) or Gildas Morvan (several times France Solo champion) were only 21th 18th, 6th.

On the second leg it seems Morvan is showing why he had won so many races solo on Figaro and is leading. Nicol, 3th on the first leg is 3th now and that, if he can maintain it, will pull him on the overall classification. They give a very bad classification to Desjoieaux (25th) but I don't understand why. If the wind preview indication is right he should be among the first, even leading. We will see.

Le Figaro - La Solitaire

Finally some images from the first leg that was raced with weak winds, except on the Finisterra cape where I never found a no wind situation

Leaving for the second leg:

La Solitaire du Figaro Eric Bompard cachemire... por lasolitairedufigaro
EricKLYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-09-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
if I remember correctly they had said all the way it was a Verdier project and after that they modified the article and forgot to modify on the picture.

So it seems that they were wrong and lead me to post wrong information. In fact I am happy to know that Pogo and Finot/Conq maintain an old and fruitful collaboration that lead to a fantastic boats and a great number of victories.

Pascal Conq is quoted in voile magazine blog saying it was designed by him and talks about the differences to the previous model so unless something funny is going on, it is a Finot/Conq design.

Funny that nothing is said about it on the Finot/Conq site, on the facebook Structures page a question about who was the designer was not answered and the say nothing about it, nor in the Pogo main site.

Regards

Paulo
OK, so I am obviously wrong. Still waiting for a cruiser/racer by Verdier...
Old 06-09-2013

La Route des Princes 2013

And another very interesting one: Top boats, top professional sailors, the best in what regards multihull racing:

Clip Routes des Princes Valence Inshore - Jour 2 por routedesprincesTV

Route des Princes 2013

Home - La Route des Princes 2013

and a fantastic new, at least for me and him: Jean-Pierre Dick, that had come from the Open 60's after the last Vendee (where he was 4th, finishing without a keel) won his first victory in Multihulls in his new Mod 70:

http://www.routedesprinces.fr/en/rankings-inshores.htm

That is what I call learning fast. I guess he had already some training making thousands of miles with his Open 60 without a keel

Old 06-09-2013

Re: Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
OK, so I am obviously wrong. Still waiting for a cruiser/racer by Verdier...
Hummm, I would not be so sure, I have said :

"Originally Posted by PCP
.... so unless something funny is going on, it is a Finot/Conq design.

Funny that nothing is said about it on the Finot/Conq site, on the facebook Structures page a question about who was the designer was not answered and the say nothing about it, nor in the Pogo main site. "

and it seems something funny is going one because on this interview made 3 month ago a main Pogo shipyard man says that they are studding the new Pogo 40 S3 with Verdier

So all this is a bit confusing. Let's wait till the Shipyard says who is the boat designer. In fact Voile magazine attributes those comments (that I had read also on Yacht.de) to Conq assuming he is the designer but it seems they were made by the shipyard.

Maybe they are a bit between the sword and the wall (well, I don't know if that means anything in English, it is an old Portuguese saying but the meaning is obvious) maybe the design was an original Conq one and was modified by Verdier.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2013

Hey Paulo! Aren't you supposed to be cruising?

I will see if I can dig up a better avatar than that odd photo of my much beloved dog, Mr. Otto (M/Pitbull/14.5 years old).

The first leg of the Figaro came down to mostly being in the right place at the right time... or, in the case of Michel D. and Armel L., not being in the wrong place at the right time. In those conditions, we are the playthings of the gods (as I believe the saying goes), though this is to take nothing away from Yann Elies' victory.

Tracking leg two as we speak. Morvan has been staying on the inside most of the time, with a brief move to the west for some reason, but then soaking back to the east, as he approached Cape Finisterre. Really looked to me like he picked the layline perfectly, with Tannyères and Livory too far inside. Just past Finisterre Morvan remained the easternmost boat, with Nicol quite close but further west.

At the point near O Porto de Corme the entire fleet seems to suddenly realize that Morvan's inside line is the winning move and they all turn east and consolidate. But by this time Morvan is gone (if you can call a lead of less than 2nm "gone" ). The tracking map can be deceiving if you don't keep an eye on the distances, because it looks like big gaps opening up but actually not very much. If Morvan runs into light air at some point, the entire fleet will compress, and then we're back to nail biting again.

I swear that there are not many races of this calibre where the competition is so close. The Tour de France a la Voile, of course, but not too many others. The "big guns" remain within striking distance - Desjoyeux, Hardy, Beyou, Le Cléac'h, and, of course, Eliés.
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 06-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Hey Paulo! Aren't you supposed to be cruising?

Yes, I had to postpone my flight a week due to unavoidable family problems.

I have a huge respect for Morvan and I never understood why he did never moved to the Open 60's. He is a great sailor. I remember a Transat where he was pursued at a short range and on the same course by Sam Davies ans Armel le Cleach for more than a week....and he maintained always about the same distance till win the race. Solid steel

Regards

Paulo