Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Chapeau! to Armel Le Cléac'h for tenaciously hanging on for the stage 2 win in the Solitaire de Figaro, finishing just 59 seconds ahead of Morgan Lagravière after more than 2 days of racing.

At the same time, Gildas Morvan has my deepest sympathy. After leading much of the way, he eventually ran into the light air that re-shuffled the deck and now looks like he will finish in 27th place. The sailing gods are cruel, that's for sure.

Meanwhile, Yann Eliés is consolidating his hold on the overall with a well fought 5th place in stage two, to go with his stage one victory. Armel moves all the way up to sixth overall, while Frédéric Duthil quietly slides into second overall, a dangerous force to be reckoned with through the remainder of the event.

I think that Paulo had mentioned never seeing light air off Finisterre but on this leg the wind was incredibly fickle, and it must have been very difficult racing under such conditions, always imagining that your competitors are in the breeze somewhere else, leaving you behind.

Of course, I would trade places with any of them right now.
Old 06-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Grand Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
At the risk of appearing overly critical and not appreciating it when people take the time to video their sailing adventures, I have to say that the camera reveals much room for improvement aboard Gernimo. In no particular order:
  1. Crew doesn't hike hard upwind.
  2. Crew slow moving across the boat and assuming hiking position during and after tacks
  3. Pit person in poor position on spinnaker hoist to support mast person - she is tailing right up against the rope clutch instead of back near the cabin top winch.
  4. Too many people on the foredeck during the spinnaker set and gybe, including one guy just sitting in front of the mast
  5. What? No spinnaker downwind in 23 knots? That seems overly cautious during a race.
  6. Crew out of position prior to the start - someone is down below while they're in sequence and weight positioning is all over the place as they tack onto starboard to make their approach.

I could probably go on but I would recommend some coaching to take it to the next level.

Couldn't really tell much about the Grand Surprise itself, except that it looks quick in a breeze (and would be even quicker if the crew hikes hard and gets their weight properly positioned and sets the spinnaker).
Poor guys They are just learning

I found out that there are Grand Surprise even in Australia:

MYC CC 20110130 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

and raced by girls too

Esprit in MYC Marathon 2 2013 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

One going fast:

and one that seems better sailed to me even if this is only a University race with kids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 06-11-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013

A boat for Mr Pelicano

I have a boat to recommend to you, a fast one : GERANIUM KILLER is for sale at a good price. That's a 2008 A40RC, this one:

Tour de Corse à la voile 2009 from Brice on Vimeo.

Look at the price

GERANIUM KILLER Boat for sale

bad luck....It is sold already

GERANIUM KILLER

But the message remains, if you keep an eye on the market some great deals can appear.
MrPelicano likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2013

Quote:
My concerns about Morvan running into light conditions in the Figaro turned out to be prophetic, and he became a plaything of the gods as the wind vanished and the entire fleet compressed. In desperation (I imagine) he made a stab out to the northwest, looking for breeze, but then immediately joined the rest of the fleet in dashing back inshore, while the Jackal (Armel Le Cléac'h) took advantage and snuck into the lead. Now it is a battle to the very end as the breeze is up and the dash to the finish is underway.

Yacht racing: not for the faint of heart.

By contrast, I was able to get out on an Express 37 yesterday afternoon for some casual PHRF racing out of Cedar Point YC, on Long Island Sound. Conditions were perfect, with about 8-14 knots - initially from the south, but clocking east midway through race one - and about 70F (21C). It was a mixed bag in the spinnaker class, with another Express 37, a J/105, an Evelyn 32, a Wyliecat and a couple others. Due to our very impressive upwind and downwind speed - particularly on the second windward leg of each race - we were able to score two wins for the day. Interestingly, we averaged .30 knot VMG higher in both races than the second place boat, a J/105. As a nice change of pace for me I got to do the mast position instead of my customary bow spot. Good bowman aboard so, of course, there was zero drama on the front of the boat.
Congratulations on the race

Regarding the Figaro Morvan leaded till about being at 27nm from the finish in a 300nm race...then he took the wrong option and come from 1st to 27th. That's how good these guys are. No mistakes allowed not even near the finish line.

One for Armel but Yann, the winner of the first leg made a great race too coming in 5th losing only 9 minutes to Armel and is leading overall. Armel is 6th, Desjoieaux is 16th and Morvan is 20th and by the way this guy (Xavier):

is 4th. When this video passed on sailnet there was a lot of guys making fun. I have tried to explain that guy was a pro and a great sailor...well, he is proving here that, 4th among the best It seems those trains with Berenger were useful.

Regards

Paulo
MrPelicano likes this.

Old 06-10-2013

Re: A boat for Mr Pelicano

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have a boat to recommend to you, a fast one : GERANIUM KILLER is for sale at a good price. That's a 2008 A40RC, this one:

Look at the price

GERANIUM KILLER Boat for sale

bad luck....It is sold already

GERANIUM KILLER

But the message remains, if you keep an eye on the market some great deals can appear.
Paulo -

I was supposed to do the recent Block Island Race on an A40 - not the RC version - but it didn't come together for some reason. I took a look at it yesterday, as it is docked nearby the Express 37. Cool looking boat, in either configuration, though I confess to preferring twin wheels and mainsheet / traveller ahead of the steering position - Geranium Killer is tiller steering and mainsheet / traveller aft. There are quite a few A40's and A40 RC's for sale all over the place, and the prices seem quite reasonable for a 40-footer, which makes me wonder why an A40 would be less expensive than a 1999 Farr 40 OD (hint: I suspect the difference is "lots of carbon" on the Farr ).

Also have to say I'm not a big fan of galley forward in a performance cruiser - I don't mind it in a full-on race boat, since all you ever do is boil water, but for cruising prefer to have the galley in the conventional place, with the heads in one of the aft quarters. Besides, you've already got me excited about the new A35, which appears to tick all my boxes.

Back to the Grand Surprise - The University team shows how it's supposed to be done, with strong crew hiking, good weight balance downwind, one person on the bow maximum, and fairly good tacking. The only "issues" I observed were: lost the kite too far from the gybe mark and then went for the early douse - that would have cost them some distance; and in that breeze they should have been cross-sheeting the jib upwind - would keep all the weight on the high side and the driver wouldn't have to go low to adjust the jib with the crew on the rail. Quite surprised they weren't doing that because the primary winches are perfectly located for cross-sheeting. Otherwise, the "Gernimo" crew should watch that video and take notes.

BTW, watching the videos of Porto and doing a bit of reading about the city, I'm now rather captivated by it. Seems like a very pleasant place to visit - on the seaside but close enough to Douro to satisfy one's wine tasting needs. What are your thoughts about it? Recommend? Or do you prefer the south coast more?

Best,

MrP
Old 06-10-2013

Re: A boat for Mr Pelicano

Quote:
Paulo -

I was supposed to do the recent Block Island Race on an A40 - not the RC version - but it didn't come together for some reason. I took a look at it yesterday, as it is docked nearby the Express 37. Cool looking boat, in either configuration, though I confess to preferring twin wheels and mainsheet / traveller ahead of the steering position - Geranium Killer is tiller steering and mainsheet / traveller aft. There are quite a few A40's and A40 RC's for sale all over the place, and the prices seem quite reasonable for a 40-footer, which makes me wonder why an A40 would be less expensive than a 1999 Farr 40 OD (hint: I suspect the difference is "lots of carbon" on the Farr ).

Also have to say I'm not a big fan of galley forward in a performance cruiser - I don't mind it in a full-on race boat, since all you ever do is boil water, but for cruising prefer to have the galley in the conventional place, with the heads in one of the aft quarters. Besides, you've already got me excited about the new A35, which appears to tick all my boxes.

BTW, watching the videos of Porto and doing a bit of reading about the city, I'm now rather captivated by it. Seems like a very pleasant place to visit - on the seaside but close enough to Douro to satisfy one's wine tasting needs. What are your thoughts about it? Recommend? Or do you prefer the south coast more?

Best,

MrP
Regarding the A40 and the A40rc there is a great difference in price and performance in what regards racing. The A40, the previous boat can be bought sometimes as low as 80/100 000 euros while the TC rarely come below 150 000.

The 40RC has also a better cruising interior and the galley is a "normal" one.

Regarding Portugal, yes Porto is a great city but in what regards seaside cities also Lisboa or Viana do Castelo.

I have recently send some information about it to Steve (Hannah) and I will do the same to you with a PM.

Regarding Lisboa there is a thread with information about it:

Lisbon in May

Regards

Paulo

Old 06-10-2013

The A40 RC is a nice boat, and what's not to like about all those sexy carbon bits? For some reason it kind of reminds me of a Sydney 38, perhaps because the foredeck and forward cabintop have quite a bit of curvature. In the back, of course, it's a different story.

Just for fun, I took a look at the Key West Race Week 2009 race results, as it is mentioned in the video that the boat would make its racing debut there. Well, they chose the wrong year to go because that was the year the King 40 / Mills 40 showed up, taking 3 of the top 4 finishing positions in IRC B (with a J/44 finishing 3rd - albeit, the very well-sailed "Gold Digger", a local Long Island Sound boat). The A40 RC managed 6th overall, but well out of the hunt, 13.5 points behind the 5th placed J/122.

But, to be fair, a King 40 will set you back $340,000 or more, while a J/122 is in the same range. Even a Gucci J/44 is going to run $250,000 or more. So, an A40 RC is now looking like a very economical choice indeed, even without the big discount.
Old 06-11-2013

A40 RC/King 40

Quote:
The A40 RC is a nice boat, and what's not to like about all those sexy carbon bits? For some reason it kind of reminds me of a Sydney 38, perhaps because the foredeck and forward cabintop have quite a bit of curvature. In the back, of course, it's a different story.

Just for fun, I took a look at the Key West Race Week 2009 race results, as it is mentioned in the video that the boat would make its racing debut there. Well, they chose the wrong year to go because that was the year the King 40 / Mills 40 showed up, taking 3 of the top 4 finishing positions in IRC B (with a J/44 finishing 3rd - albeit, the very well-sailed "Gold Digger", a local Long Island Sound boat). The A40 RC managed 6th overall, but well out of the hunt, 13.5 points behind the 5th placed J/122.

But, to be fair, a King 40 will set you back $340,000 or more, while a J/122 is in the same range. Even a Gucci J/44 is going to run $250,000 or more. So, an A40 RC is now looking like a very economical choice indeed, even without the big discount.
You are a bit out in what regards prices: A 2008 Summit/king 40 goes between $360000/450000. New it should not cost not less than half a million, more if it is on a top configuration.

McMichael Yacht Brokers and Yacht Yard - Summit Yachts International Search

A 2007 A40rc can go for about $ 150 000.

A40RC for sale

Yes, the King 40 is a great racing boat and faster on most conditions than a A40RC.

Regards

Paulo

Old 06-11-2013

Thumbs up Francis Joyon with 57 years of age refuses getting old

Some months ago he beat the absolute solo sail record on the transat to Central America:

and now here he goes again, attempting the big one, the absolute solo North Atlantic Record. He leaved New York today morning doing about 20k in route to Cape Lizard (UK).

He has to do better than 5 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 20 seconds to beat the actual record that belongs since 2008 to Thomas Coville ("Sodebo").

That's the kind of old men that I like
EricKLYC likes this.

Old 06-11-2013

Americas Cup: more Bullsh****

If you want to understand what is going one run these articles on a transaltor. they are the best I have read about it:

America's Cup: Artemis macht weiter, doch Chaos droht - Sport*|*YACHT.DE

America's Cup: "Eine störende und kolossale Pleite" - Sport*|*YACHT.DE

Meanwhile nobody understands what Artemis, the Challenger of the record agenda and it seems that he is not acting as the representative of challengers. Big confusion

"Grant Dalton speaks out over Artemis Racing's rejection of their modified schedule proposal:

“The joint proposal put forth by Luna Rossa and Emirates Team New Zealand of starting the Louis Vuitton Cup later in July was done so in the hope of enhancing the event with a full muster of boats from the beginning, and therefore, placing more importance on the racing from the first race, something for which fans and sponsors are craving right now.

“The weighting of points (more points later in July) was also suggested, with the idea being to get racing underway but not determine the results too early in the racing.

Both these proposals were rejected by Artemis racing, the Challenger of Record.

“Normally the challenger series of an America’s Cup is run on terms that meet the wishes of the majority of challengers,” Dalton said. “This is not the case here with Artemis rejecting the proposal and wanting to continue running an event schedule in which, by under their own admission, they will not compete in in the early stages.

“Obviously it was assumed that 10 weeks after the Artemis tragedy, that having previously taken delivery of their second AC72 they would be ready to race. This is not the case.”

Grant Dalton on the AC34 schedule | The Daily Sail

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.