Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013
Sailing coach & consultan

Joe Cooper is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Re,OSTAR and proposed decline in "greatness" at the top of this thread, could not disagree more. Hasler proposed the race originally: "to encourage the development of suitable boats gear and techniques for single-handed ocean crossings under sail". This a direct quote from "Blondie" by Ewen sSouthby-Tailyour's, published by Leo Cooper 1998, 2003. The entries in years subsequent to 1960 all conformed to this goal.The historical fact that the Race gave birth to the entire single handed racing scene as we know it to day is a lasting tribute to Haslers vision. The fact that the Big Solo Races of today are in boats inconceivable in Haslers day is I suggest irreverent. Today's entrants are exercising the same learning and testing skill and in boats that I suggest would have Hasler smiling today. This race going on now is precisely the OSTAR. The development of "The Transat" by OC's Mark Tuner was in response to the "OSTAR getting to unwieldy and unsuited for the demands of a professional sport and in no way diminishes the present race.
Cheers joe cooper middletown RI
mitiempo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cooper View Post
Hasler proposed the race originally: "to encourage the development of suitable boats gear and techniques for single-handed ocean crossings under sail".
Hi Joe - Not to split hairs or anything, but if the purpose of the race was as stated - i.e., to encourage the development of suitable boats, gear, etc... - I think Paulo does have a point when he notes the OSTAR has become essentially a "sail what you got" race open to those who would otherwise not be able to compete in one of the Transats oriented more toward professionals.

Personally, I would suggest that the Mini Transat 6.50 is actually more in keeping with the spirit of Hasler's original goal. Classe Mini is a seething cauldron of innovation, attracting both professionals and amateurs, many sailing boats they've designed and built themselves. At the same time, it's a Transat that anyone can afford.

I was following the Mini 6.50 2013 Trophée Marie-Agnes Péron (MAP) race the past two days, and the competition in both the Proto and Series classes was incredible. And as if to reinforce that you don't have to break the bank to be competitive, the 7th placed Proto is boat 198 (we're up in the low 900s for 6.50s these days), while the boat that won (747) was designed and built by its original owner (David Raison) who went out and won the 2011 Transat in it.

So, if you compare / contrast the OSTAR in its current format with the Mini Transat, I think one might agree it is truly the latter that is encouraging the development of suitable boats, gear, etc. for solo ocean crossings. Thus, if the former were more like the latter, it would more truly reflect its founder's original intent.

Having said that, crossing oceans alone, in a sailboat, is a significant accomplishment no matter what you're sailing, so I in no way wish to diminish the achievements of the OSTAR competitors. It's just not much of a race, is all.

Best,

MrP (your neighbor at the west end of LIS)
PCP likes this.
Old 06-14-2013

Meanwhile, at the Solitaire de Figaro, I am not in the least surprised to see Fredric Duthil quietly laying the groundwork to assume the overall lead in the race. While Yann Eliés and Armel Le Cléac'h have fallen 2-4 miles to the back of the fleet, Duthil is currently up in third position, within sight of the two leaders. He was my favorite when the event began, and I have not been disappointed.

Of course, as we learned from the last leg, when it appeared for some time that Gildas Morvan would run away with the win, the wind gods smile on whoever they like, and coming into Giron that "whoever" turned out to be Le Cléac'h. The Solitaire is such a technical race precisely because it is a "near" offshore event, which means that geography plays a much bigger part in affecting the wind conditions at any given instant, not to mention the strong currents to negotiate. Yes, this is an event that grooms future IMOCA champions for sure, but I think it is pretty challenging in its own right. And just because your name is engraved on the trophy from the past, doesn't mean you will dominate in the present.

I hope everyone was paying attention to the Trophée Marie-Agnes Péron Mini 6.50 race, which just concluded a couple hours ago. It gave us a preview of what I think we will see on the 2013 Transat proper. Indeed, it actually gave us a reminder of the 2011 Transat, as Giancarlo Pedote sailed David Raison's famous 747 scow mini - winner of the 2011 Transat - to victory in the 2013 Trophée MAP, besting Gwénolé Gahinet, sailing Antoine Rioux's 800 (which finished 3rd in the 2011 Transat) by 27 minutes. Oh, by the way, Gahinet finished first in the Series class in the 2011 Transat. .

In third place was Bertrand Delesne (754), who also finished 3rd overall in the 2011 Transat in that boat. Right behind Delesne we find Joerg Riechers, 5th place finisher in the 2011 Transat, in his 753.

I also want to note that Sébastien Picault sailed his "antique" 198 to seventh in the Trophée MAP - the same boat he sailed to a 12th (out of 36) place finish in the 2011 Transat! That is some amazing sailing and a lot of confidence in your boat; one can imagine him being a major contender in a newer boat, but sometimes you sail what you love.

Really looking forward to the 2013 Transat later in the year. I think it is going to be an epic race, finishing in a new destination - Martinique rather than Brazil. Just wish I was doing it.
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 06-14-2013
Sailing coach & consultan

Joe Cooper is on a distinguished road

OSTAR is a Run wot ya brung? Exactly! Jester, gipsy moth what ever number, a 19 footer (pre mini, mini even before sopranino) a folk boat and a vertue. The time spread between
Chichester and le comb was about 40 days I reckon so arguements about the non race aspects of the present edition does no justice to the race, its history or the competitors. Is it s race? Come to Newport and tellRichard Lett and Jack Sandberg that they were not in a race. I'd be interested to hear their response.
Yes the mini t is a great ever but frankly it too has progresses a long way from Bob Salmons original idea.Agree the minis in particular and solo offshore racing in general offer much more to the average weekend warrior than Larry's Great Adventure. For more on this read wind check mag one or two issues ago-coops corner. Oh BTW David Raison is a naval archeticht, hardly the average bear Hasler had in mind. Cheers cooper
Old 06-14-2013

Joe - Not saying OSTAR is not a race, just not necessarily the race Hasler envisioned. Sure everyone sailed what they had at the time, but if that was the long term intent, then perhaps Blondie might have phrased his vision a bit differently. For me personally, racing very old technology is not the best manifestation of "encouraging development..." one can think of. And I think this is what Paulo was reacting to.

If the OSTAR is intended as simply a race-what-ya-got primarily for the under 50' / non-professional crowd, then that makes it more like the ARC and less like the Transat Jacques Vabre, which is perfectly fine. But that suggests that we ought not take Hasler's vision too seriously, which is also fine.

I was aware that DR is a naval architect, though certainly not a well known one before he built the famous scow (747). There are other guys in the Classe Mini who are not NAs who have designed and/or built their own boats. And while I doubt Bob Salmon envisioned that his Transat would eventually become the gateway to professional solo offshore racing that it is today, this description from Wikipedia nicely captures, to my mind, the irony of what OSTAR is today:

"Bob Salmon developed the idea of a mini-transatlantic race in the late 1970s in England with the intent of promoting affordable offshore solo racing. It was partially conceived as a response to the trend for bigger and more expensive boats such as sailed in the OSTAR race that seemed to exclude ocean racing for sailors with moderate budgets."

If true, it suggests that OSTAR quickly became something other than Hasler envisioned and that today's OSTAR is more in keeping with what he (and Salmon, for that matter) had in mind. However, in that case Hasler probably should have expressed his vision differently, IMHO. Anyway, Paulo sees the OSTAR that Salmon was reacting to as the golden era of that event, while he sees today's version as a move in the wrong direction.

Actually (since I'm already beating a dead horse - no actual horses injured, of course), I would say that another race, near and dear to Paulo's heart, is probably close to what OSTAR ought to be, if we want to take Hasler at his word: The Transquadra. That race is designed to keep things affordable while, at the same time, leaving open room for innovation - albeit, probably not for amateur design/build. But it is driving the development of some outstanding performance cruising yachts, suitable for solo ocean crossing, from the likes of JPK, RM, Jeanneau, and Structures (Pogo). Just before he left to go cruising, Paulo sent me information on the newly announced RM 890, which will bring the qualities of RM boats at a more affordable (for me) price. But until it's built, I'm still ogling the Malango 888 and 999.

Old 06-15-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

IDEC is only 30 miles behind the record (after 140 miles yesterday)...
MrPelicano likes this.
Old 06-15-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road

+36
Old 06-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
+36
145 miles ahead and only 200 miles to go...

He failed to get the 24hrs record by only 2 miles (664 instead of 666 miles)...
Old 06-16-2013

Finally he did it with 16 hours less... Congratulations!
PCP likes this.
Old 06-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Can't find an English version.. but..Trimaran IDEC

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)