Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Pogo 30

Hey guys,

Has anyone read any of the Pogo 30 tests available yet? I tried to pick up the digital version of Yacht, but I can´t figure out how...

//Mr W
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Pogo 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone read any of the Pogo 30 tests available yet? I tried to pick up the digital version of Yacht, but I can´t figure out how...

//Mr W
The Pogo 30 review in Yacht is supposed to be released today (19 June) in Issue 14. You should be able to download it here but it will cost you €4,90 and hopefully you can read German.

Presumably Voiles et Voiliers will have a review pretty soon. Yachting World will eventually get around to something, no doubt.

Best,

MrP
Old 06-19-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
The Pogo 30 review in Yacht is supposed to be released today (19 June) in Issue 14. You should be able to download it here but it will cost you €4,90 and hopefully you can read German.

Presumably Voiles et Voiliers will have a review pretty soon. Yachting World will eventually get around to something, no doubt.

Best,

MrP
Hi,

Thanks, but I tried that allready. There was an extra charge of EUR 2,00 for delivery... so I guess it´s not very digital

//Mr W
Old 06-19-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi,

Thanks, but I tried that allready. There was an extra charge of EUR 2,00 for delivery... so I guess it´s not very digital

//Mr W
I also don’t have access to the digital edition of Yacht, but I ran their online summary through Bing’s translator and –where possible- tried to use my little knowledge of the difficult but beautiful German language to convert this to a more or less readable English text:

Exklusiv: Pogo 30 im großen YACHT-Test - Galerie*|*YACHT.DE
(Also check out the pictures there)

Pogo 30 YACHT-test

17.06.2013 Jochen Rieker - YACHT got two days time to try out the quick and easy boat in the Bay of Biscay. An encounter of a special kind.
It is difficult to characterize the recent Pogo without superlatives. She has power in abundance - sail carrying number 5.5, a value that only racing yachts achieve. It weighs a ton (!) less than comparable boats from large-scale production. And thanks to a reduced basic equipment it stays more enjoyable in list price just below 100,000 euro (!).

Who orders meaningful, if not necessary extra tools such as the electro-hydraulic retractable swing keel (minimal depth then 1.05 metres, eased off 2.50 meters), the carbon mast by Axxon, the retractable carbon bowsprit and a set of high-quality sails, navigation electronics, lands at 130,000 euros.
That’s a lot of money for a boat of little more than 9 meters length. But it is well spent. Because with a Pogo, you pay for the omission.

This is reflected in the low displacement of only 2.8 tons, as well as in the very low center of gravity. Therefore, the boat is so nimble it needs no indomitable amount of sail area to be fast. The quality of the GRP works in any case is beyond any doubt. One finds no such precise fit and smooth surfaces on hull, keel and rudders - except on racers.
You must be aware of the interior, not sparse but also not comparable to what other performance cruisers offer. But this is compensated for by the sailing qualities mile for mile - even in light to medium winds, where the Pogo 30 is second to none.

Here is the commented photo gallery with many detailed photos. You can find the extensive test in YACHT 14, now available at the kiosk.

I don’t know the exact definition of the “sail carrying number” (Segeltragezahl 5,5), certainly some kind of SA/D displacement ratio but with figures I am not used to. No doubt however, this points towards excellent performance.

And I am also not familiar with the concept of „paying for he omission“ but I’m sure this also only has to do with both Bing‘s and my own insufficient understanding of German language .

This is of course a much more objective opinion than what the French yachting press can tell us anyway. Also they use, this time more predictably, a lot of superlatives.

I already posted this link to the teaser video of Voiles & Voiliers:
Pogo 30 : digne successeur du 8,50 (teaser)

The „rock & roll“ qualities of the 30‘ are obviously stated, although the more cruising related aspects are better highlighted in the extensive test report and video (subscribers only ).

But I think I can post here my translation of their introduction without violating the copyright of this magazine :

Bigger, stiffer, carrying more sail but also more polyvalent, here is the Pogo 30 that succeeds to the famous 8.50. Designed by Pascal Conq and Pierre Forgia, this new model is the synthesis of the experience of its builder Structures who cultivates very well its different approach.

And their conclusion:

Unique!
More extreme than its predecessor, the Pogo 30 capitalises on a now recognised concept, with a market consisting of more than a few aficionados. One can like it in its simplest version, but with the right options it can also be an alternative for a 10.50 if one doesn’t have the budget. 10% cheaper than a Sun Fast 3200 or a Malango, the Pogo 30 is also more accessible than many IRC models, which puts it in the middle of the market.

Having seen and read all this, but without having set a foot an the actual boat, let alone sailing it, my first, very provisional and personal opinion is that this looks very much like a downsized 12.50.

So I expect the same performance, which must then sometimes be quite spectacular .
Plus simplicity and efficiency allover, both out- and inside and certainly for the single- or short handed. No fuzz at all but with everything you expect from a fast cruiser available, including comfort.

At least if you can appreciate the minimalistic but otherwise very efficient open and „loft style“ concept. And cope with the inevitable drawbacks of a very light and beamy design (cfr. Paulo’s posts about wave drag), itself very seaworthy (idem about stability).

I personally didn‘t regret our choice for such a unusual design for a second yet. But as said many times before: „de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum“.
Or as Paulo states even better: „varietas delectat“.

Best regards,

Eric
Mr W and MrPelicano like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricKLYC For This Useful Post:
PCP (06-23-2013)
Old 06-19-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Got back to looking at Pogo 30 website and finally noticed there are only 4 winches on cabin top??? Odd arrangement if shorthanded, would mean the auto pilot will need to be on a lot to go from tiller to cabin top to trim sails.
Old 06-19-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Got back to looking at Pogo 30 website and finally noticed there are only 4 winches on cabin top??? Odd arrangement if shorthanded, would mean the auto pilot will need to be on a lot to go from tiller to cabin top to trim sails.
That's exactly the shorthanded concept, Edward.

No backbreaking exercises on the leeward coamings, where any strong gust can throw you into the guardrails. All winching is being done straight upright, in a much more comfortable, efficient and especially safe position. Within the cockpit, behind the coachroof and if necessary under coverage of the sprayhood. And –last but not least- looking straightforward at what you're actually doing with the powerful winch, which is certainly very helpful for not unnecesseraly destroying expensive gear.

The advanced position of the single tiller on e.g. the 12.50 should allow you to winch solo without leaving the helm. But let's be honest, since we only have two hands, without competent crew most of us will engage the autopilot anyway before trimming the sails. At least I do.
Except for the main - that's if good hardware such as a performant sheet track is available - I don’t think many of us would try to hold the tiller/wheel in one hand and winch e.g. any foresail sheet with the other.

So this concept really does work very well, especially shorthanded.

Best regards,

Eric
PCP likes this.

Last edited by EricKLYC; 06-19-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Because with a Pogo, you pay for the omission.

This is reflected in the low displacement of only 2.8 tons, as well as in the very low center of gravity. Therefore, the boat is so nimble it needs no indomitable amount of sail area to be fast. The quality of the GRP works in any case is beyond any doubt. One finds no such precise fit and smooth surfaces on hull, keel and rudders - except on racers.

And I am also not familiar with the concept of „paying for he omission“ but I’m sure this also only has to do with both Bing‘s and my own insufficient understanding of German language .

Eric
Eric - What they're referring to by "pay for the omission" has to do with the quality of the lay-up / build quality and finish. In other words, what you're paying for is Structures' ability to precisely control the amount of resin that goes into the hull and results in the low displacement without sacrificing strength and stiffness. In other words, you sacrifice or omit "frills" for race-caliber build and finish. Structures is spending your money on the fundamentals, not on the creature comforts - if you want luxury and comfort at that price point, you have to sacrifice build quality. That's not how they operate and it's why so many people have a high regard for their work.

I have to say that €130K / $170K for a 30-foot performance cruiser with swing keel, carbon rig, sails, and electronics, with race calibre fit-and-finish, strikes me as a pretty attractive package. We're not far from a new Beneteau First 30 (though enough of them are starting to show up on the used market at under €115K / $150K to make that boat a bit more attractive). But nobody will ever confuse the build quality of a Pogo 30 with a First 30, with all due respect to Beneteau, who build solid, high-performance boats, as race results show.

If Paulo hadn't teased me with the new RM 890 recently announced, it would just be a choice between the Pogo 30 and the Malango 888 or 999. Now I'm going to have to think...
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 06-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes joke that if you wait longer enough any boat ever built and still floating will eventually show up in Annapolis Harbor. I first said that after tacking through Annapolis Harbor and ducking the stern of a 1939 cutter that I had owned a decade or two earlier. Last night this interesting boat showed up in Annapolis Harbor.

I'm sure that Paulo will recognize this boat. She is even more striking in real life. I said 'hello' and let them know that I had seen them on the internet.
PCP, AlaskaMC, EricKLYC and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-20-2013

On a slightly different topic, the final leg of the Solitaire de Figaro started a couple hours ago, from Roscoff to Dieppe. My man, Frédéric Duthil, tops the leader board and, considering this will be his last Figaro (so he said) after 10 of them, it would be great to go out on the top of the podium.

There was a very good interview with him on the event site where he discussed the leg and what he's anticipating. Noting that the forecast calls for 30-40 knots on the nose as the fleet rounds Cherbourg, he predicted that no doubt "idiots" (he used a stronger word) like him would immediately put up their spinnakers and go all in. Very funny and self-effacing fellow.

At the start, Michel Desjoyeux jumped out to a .2nm lead - the map tool visually distorts the actual distances, making leads appear larger than they are - but it was still quite surprising to see the Professor put the hammer down so quickly. Duthil is sitting in 11th but the entire fleet is all bunched at present.

Sadly, it looked like Alexis Loison (Groupe Fiva) collided with something. The start video showed his boat tied up alongside a wharf, then zoomed in to show the damage to his bow. The tracker has him in the race so perhaps it occurred before the start and he was able to continue? I didn't have the audio on so didn't hear the commentary about it. Hope he can keep going, after such a great first leg.

Anyway, it will all be settled soon, after which we can get ready for the Tour de France a la Voile (and that other Tour de France thing - the one where they ride bicycles on drugs).
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 06-21-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
I don’t know the exact definition of the “sail carrying number” (Segeltragezahl 5,5), certainly some kind of SA/D displacement ratio but with figures I am not used to. No doubt however, this points towards excellent performance.

x=upwind sail area in square meters
y=displacement in tons

Cruisers usually are about 4-5, performance cruisers 5-6.