Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Well, sometimes things just don't go your way, at least if you're Frédéric Duthil in the Solitaire de Figaro. All he had to do was keep up near the front of the fleet for the final leg to Dieppe, but ended up buried deep, while Yann Eliés managed to pull off a huge turn-around and claw his way to the top, for the overall victory. Duthil finished 6th overall, just ahead of Michel Desjoyeux and Armel Le Cléac'h - I suppose that's nothing to sneeze at, unless you just missed winning the whole thing by 1h 26m.

I'm looking forward to Duthil's recap of what went wrong in the leg, because he started dropping to the back very early in the race and never recovered, even when the fleet encountered the 30-40 knot breeze in which he usually does pretty well, particularly off the wind. Not this time.

That wraps up a very exciting 2013 Solitaire. Next up, in 5 days, the Tour de France a la Voile, which is always exciting, even if it lacks the drama of singlehanding. However, plenty of big guns in the hunt this year, including Franck Cammas, Thomas Coville, Vincent Riou, and Daniel Souben (two-time winner of this race). Says a lot about the competitiveness of these skippers that they would invest the time in such a long, grueling event. On the other hand, it gets considerable press coverage which their sponsors love (Groupama, Sodebo, etc.), which means more money flowing into their major offshore multihull programs.

Really encourage everyone to follow the race. The Archambault M34 is a boat that Paulo has covered in the recent past, and watching these guys blazing along under asymmetrical kites in big breeze is not to be missed. Competition should be make this one too close to call.

Here's the highlight reel from 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=f9oIgFxiD_8
EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by MrPelicano; 06-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Joyon, 56 year's old at his best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Finally he did it with 16 hours less... Congratulations!

I would like to know how he does it, I mean beaten young kids at 56. I stopped motorcycle racing at 48 and the younger racers were almost always surprised when i took the helmet after a long race to chat with someone I had been battling for hours....now, Joyon makes that not at the middle of the race but at the TOP, winning and a lot older than I was. Big respect for the man

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2013

Re: Pogo 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi,

Thanks, but I tried that allready. There was an extra charge of EUR 2,00 for delivery... so I guess it´s not very digital

//Mr W
With some time it will appear here for download:

http://www.yacht.de/service/download...tberichte.html

It costs only 2 euro you can pay with paypal and in the time that they will give you to download the test you will have time to download more 3 for free. They come in PDF format and very good quality. A long list of tests available

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano;1046784...
Structures is spending your money on the fundamentals, not on the creature comforts - if you want luxury and comfort at that price point, you have to sacrifice build quality. That's not how they operate and it's why so many people have a high regard for their work.
Regarding money let me point out that Pogo is the only shipyard of this dimension that does not have any dealers. You buy direct and save about 25% on the dealer's cut. They have confidence in their excellent built quality and make arrangements with the best local shipyards (regarding the place the boat is sold) if something is needed.

I never have been inside a Pogo. They go to boatshows but only with scale models and boat plans to keep it less expensive. Only on the in the water shows when a local client don't mind to have his boat on the show they indulge in showing the boats. Otherwise you have to go to the factory and get a test sail arranged with a client boat. Their interior is not their main argument so a boat show is not very important. Sailing the boat is what sells the boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano;1046784...

I have to say that €130K / $170K for a 30-foot performance cruiser with swing keel, carbon rig, sails, and electronics, with race calibre fit-and-finish, strikes me as a pretty attractive package. We're not far from a new Beneteau First 30 (though enough of them are starting to show up on the used market at under €115K / $150K to make that boat a bit more attractive). But nobody will ever confuse the build quality of a Pogo 30 with a First 30, with all due respect to Beneteau, who build solid, high-performance boats, as race results show.

If Paulo hadn't teased me with the new RM 890 recently announced, it would just be a choice between the Pogo 30 and the Malango 888 or 999. Now I'm going to have to think...
If you are going to sail alone I would say you will want a Pogo. If you are going to cruise extensively with your wife, maybe the RM makes more sense.

If we were talking about the Pogo 10.50, the space/comfort and tankage would be more than enough (I guess) for you and your wife in what regards cruising. Regarding a Pogo 30 I have doubts and blindly I would say that probably the little RM offers a lot more in what regards cruising, comfort and Storage than the Pogo with a less bright sailing performance.

That's easy to decide: if the Pogo is enough in what regards cruising, that's your boat, but take your wife with you to see both boats unless you want to send up sailing and cruising alone. I am assuming that by your profile you would like to cruise extensively and not be limited to a week's long cruising.

Anyway, that's your and your wife´s call

Regards

Paulo

Old 06-23-2013

Fox 10.20, Capado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I sometimes joke that if you wait longer enough any boat ever built and still floating will eventually show up in Annapolis Harbor. I first said that after tacking through Annapolis Harbor and ducking the stern of a 1939 cutter that I had owned a decade or two earlier. Last night this interesting boat showed up in Annapolis Harbor.

I'm sure that Paulo will recognize this boat. She is even more striking in real life. I said 'hello' and let them know that I had seen them on the internet.
Thanks Jeff,

the two last two movies from them:

By the way, the boat is for sell. This was their plan since the beginning: To have a new boat built (with some work made by them), to take a year for circumnavigating, to sell the boat at the end (that's the only way they could afford it). The boat is fully equipped for long range cruising, it has only one year but many miles and they are asking 150 000 euros for it. Maybe they sell for less.

Hey Mr Pelicano and about this one as an option for what you are looking for? I bet it is faster than the little RM. Have a look:

CAPADO creative boat

FoX Technology - Yacht Design and Engineering

Regards

Paulo

Old 06-23-2013

Route des Princes

I point you guys to this race, it seems that you are not looking, or at least not posting here about it...and you should. Great images and some danger involved:

Route de Princes: Verstörende Bildserie einer Kenterung - Sport*|*YACHT.DE

Old 06-23-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

PDP watching your videos has done terrible things to an adrenaline junkie ME. I have been looking at long range crusers, but now i begin to want to go fast.
Old 06-23-2013

La solitaire du Figaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Meanwhile, at the Solitaire de Figaro, I am not in the least surprised to see Fredric Duthil quietly laying the groundwork to assume the overall lead in the race. While Yann Eliés and Armel Le Cléac'h have fallen 2-4 miles to the back of the fleet, Duthil is currently up in third position, within sight of the two leaders. He was my favorite when the event began, and I have not been disappointed.

.. The Solitaire is such a technical race precisely because it is a "near" offshore event, which means that geography plays a much bigger part in affecting the wind conditions at any given instant, not to mention the strong currents to negotiate. Yes, this is an event that grooms future IMOCA champions for sure, but I think it is pretty challenging in its own right. And just because your name is engraved on the trophy from the past, doesn't mean you will dominate in the present.
Well not this year. For the first time since I canot remember one sailor winning two consecutive editions.That show how competitive this race is and the huge number of sailors with winning ambitions. Th honor belongs to Yann Elies. Chapeau to him

Yann Elies and his Groupe Queguiner-Leucemie Espoir crossed the finish line off Dieppe at 20:05:09 UTC to take second on the fourth and final leg from Roscoff, but overall honours in the 2013 Solitaire du Figaro.

"On cumulative elapsed time, Elies won by 26 minutes and 30 seconds from Xavier Macaire on Skipper Herault and was 33 minutes 6 seconds ahead of leg 3 winner Morgan Lagraviere on Vendee in third. Over the last 24 hours both Macaire and Lagraviere had been in a position to take overall victory in this year’s race, but ultimately it was Elies who prevailed.

Significantly after he won last year, Elies is the only back to back winner in the race’s recent history (the only other person ever to have scored consecutive victories being Guy Cornu in 1975-6).

He also joins the elite club of double Solitaire winners, including fellow competitors in this race Armel le Cleac’h (Banque Populaire), Jeremie Beyou (Maitre CoQ) and Gilles le Baud (Carnac Thalasso & SPA), plus in past years Cornu, Nicolas Troussel, Jean Marie Vidal, and Gilles Gahinet. Only Jean le Cam, Michel Desjoyeaux and Philippe Poupon, remain the super-elite, each winners of the race three times.

For Elies, 39, this is his 14th participation in La Solitaire du Figaro, his first having been back in 1997. Aside from his being a regular fixture in this event, Elies is also a two time winner of the Jules Verne Trophy on both occasions with Bruno Peyron, first on board Orange 1 in 2002 and then with Orange 2 in 2005. In 2000 he competed in The Race aboard the Cam Lewis-skippered Team Adventure maxi-catamaran. However he is perhaps best known for competing in 2008 Vendee Globe when he had to be rescued from his yacht Generali by the Australian navy aft breaking his femur mid-Southern Ocean. He is also a second generation Figaro sailor – his father Patrick won the predecessor to La Solitaire, the Course de l’Aurore, in 1979.

In leg four any three of these skippers, plus fourth placed Xavier Macaire on Skipper Herault, a further 8 minutes and 7 seconds back from Elies, were in with a chance of claiming overall victory. First Duthil fell by the wayside on the long big wind run down the south coast of the UK last night, at one point dropping back to 28 miles from the leader.

Lagraviere looked to be in good shape rounding Wolf Rock in first place, but lost his advantage by diving inshore before Start Point. Macaire was leading from Start Point until one third of the way back across the Channel. But ultimately overall victory belonged to Elies. He match raced and was eventually overtaken by Adrien Hardy coming into the Antifer mark off Le Havre, but he had done enough and overall victory was his.

On his arrival a jubilant but tired Elies commented: “It's incredible. Xavier and Adrien were two warriors and put up a really good fight. Ultimately Xavier could not play the final because of the problems he had with his water ballast.

Adrien Hardy arrived in Cascais less than three minutes ahead of Elies to win leg 4.

"I'm really happy because it was really hard with a fight throughout, a very tough competition! I've managed to keep a bit of energy even though I have been very, very tired. I am very happy to win this leg because it has been the most difficult of this Solitaire."

Yann Elies wins 2013 Solitaire du Figaro | The Daily Sail

Second overall was Xavier, the one we saw, on a recentely posted video, making that very free sailing "figure" with a Figaro. For noting the great fair play of Ellies that comment the big fight he had with Xavier and mention the technicall problems in Xavier boat (Water Ballast) that had prevented him to took that fight to the end. Even so after so many days of racing Xavier lost only 26 minutes to Ellies.

Arrivée de Yann Elies - La Solitaire du Figaro... di lasolitairedufigaro

Arrivée de Xavier Macaire - La Solitaire du... di lasolitairedufigaro

Old 06-23-2013

Comet 41s

and last post for some time: I am in Fiumicino, the boat is finally ready and loaded. I am only waiting for my liferaft that was delivered by mistake to some other boat (I got a much bigger one) and tomorrow night I will sail South.

From the house of Comet I can offer an world exclusive, the first photos on the net of the new Comet 41s, the upgraded version of my boat, that will be presented in some moths in Genova boat show.

The same hull and cabin, the same interior, two wheel set up, a nicer extension for the geennaker as well as a torpedo keel (that saves some weight to the boat) are the main differences.

The boat was tied along our own so you can see the differences:

Faster likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 06-23-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post

x=upwind sail area in square meters
y=displacement in tons

Cruisers usually are about 4-5, performance cruisers 5-6.
Thanks Robelz, that's also what I thought.
But for e.g. the Pogo 30 with around 60 m2 and 3 tons I'd expect a figure of around 20

Best regards,

Eric