Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
From the house of Comet I can offer an world exclusive, the first photos on the net of the new Comet 41s, the upgraded version of my boat, that will be presented in some moths in Genova boat show.

The same hull and cabin, the same interior, two wheel set up, a nicer extension for the geennaker as well as a torpedo keel (that saves some weight to the boat) are the main differences.

The boat was tied along our own so you can see the differences:

Two versions of a very nice yacht indeed, Paulo.

Twin wheels are getting very popular and now you see them even on much smaller boats. The advantage is of course more easy circulation to the aftermost part of the cockpit and access to the sea, but here they have sacrified a lot of length on the main traveller, something I consider a very important piece of gear on a performance yacht such as this. Another drawback is the very significant loss of rudder feeling at the helm because of the double mechanism.

And from a purely esthetical point of view, I much prefer the slim bowsprit than this massive bow extension.

(I suppose the teak is an option , one I would not take even for free. Because of the difficulty to obtain wood of good -slow breed- quality, the better antislip performance of modern decks and paints, the significant extra weight.)

So I think this new Comet 41S will only make yours more valuable, Paulo !
Enjoy your cruise and come back to us with lots of wonderful new experiences .

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 06-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Another drawback is the very significant loss of rudder feeling at the helm because of the double mechanism.

Eric
I cannot speak for the twin-wheel set-up on the Comet 41, but I've sailed boats with all three configurations - tiller, single wheel and double wheel - and I don't think there is any siginificant difference in feel between the single and double wheel, if they are set-up and tensioned properly. Obviously, the tiller gives the best feel, particularly upwind, but the conveniences of the double wheel are well worth the slight loss of touch.

In addition to allowing easier access to the stern, it also allows easier movement of headsails from below, during sail changes (more important for racing but handy for cruising, as well, if you're not using furling), and, in my opinion, it is a real pleasure for extended downwind driving. Since everything is done in carbon these days, I don't even think there's that much weight difference between 1 wheel or 2 (OK, maybe a little, but I'm thinking the builders have got this optimized by now).

On the other hand, for solo sailing I would opt for either a single or twin tiller (depending on boat length) because most of the time the autohelm is driving the boat and having no wheels in the cockpit creates a lot of open space, which I like. And for those times you feel like steering, then you have the nice touch of the tiller while leaning back comfortably against the lifelines.

Both Comets are gorgeous boats, but I'm in agreement with Eric that the dolphin nose on the new one is a bit inelegant. If I was racing I'd want a carbon sprit optimized for IRC. For cruising, something simple and preferably detachable or retractable. Also not a fan of teak decks, even though they look posh. Do like all the opening ports for circulation. If someone offered me either boat, I would take it happily.
Old 06-24-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

About the twin wheels (which I would still prefer on a next boat), one observation I've had is that it seems that the gearing is much higher (more turns) than one big wheel, in order to manage the same forces with a smaller diameter. You can see helmsman working twice as much and wheels spinning fast. Big, quick hand movement required. That's the only negative that I can appreciate about the twin wheel setup. Must be tiring, but then, on some of the recent reaching designs, there would be no single wheel big enough!

Paulo, that is one sexy Comet, but needs a serious nosejob. Looks like a motoryacht pulpit! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your cruising!
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 06-24-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road

I've got a lot of time on big centerline wheels and can tell you know after driving twin wheel configurations (with centerline rudder only) there is no comparison. Handling, vision, ease of movement thru cockpit... is superior to the single wheel. This probably comes with costs of having two carbon wheels, Jefa Steering Systems including rack and pinion pedestals and steerers...
I wouldn't even consider a new build without this system.
Still like the feel of a single tiller but, can be a bit tiring on long reaches and are limited to size of boat.
MrPelicano likes this.
Old 06-25-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Has anyone heard of the Anteros 36 yet? Pretty light, but seems to need a crew...
Old 06-28-2013

BIRW & Tour de France a la Voile

Not that it means that much, but Mark Mills' designs took the first 3 places in IRC 2 at Block Island Race Week. In first was the Summit 40 "DownTime", followed by the King 40 "White Witch" and the Mills 43 Custom "Cool Breeze". The Farr 42 IRC "Convictus Maximus" finished 4th. There's an interesting thread in Sailing Anarchy thread comparing the Farr 42 IRC with the Summit / King 40 (basically the same boat), commenting on how the Mills boats have dominated IRC since they were introduced, several years ago.

Meanwhile, I'm quite disappointed by the very limited Web coverage of the Tour de France a la Voile, which kicked off today with the start of Leg 1 from Dunkerque to Breskens. There's no video, no photos, no tracker, not even any news flash. The Facebook page has a little more, but when you compare this to the Solitaire de Figaro or to any of the Classe Mini events, the lack of professional media coverage is appalling. Very, very surprised by this, and it doesn't bode well for the future of the race.
Old 06-28-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road

We haven't posted pictures of the RM 890 yet. Really like the lines and proportions on this one. Maybe they should've gone one more meter on this one, to 990, in order to get a forward looking nav desk!

Regards,

Hans
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-rm890-2-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-rm890-3-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-rm890-4-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-rm890-5-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-rm890.jpg  

PCP, MrPelicano and rafale17 like this.
Old 06-29-2013

Tour de France a la Voile

OK, so it looks like Facebook is where the Tour de France a la Voile coverage is to be found. Nice, but pretty low budget. With only 7 teams in this year's edition I guess funding sort of dried up.

However, the racing appears to be very good, with 3 windward/leeward races taking place off the port of Dunkerque. Frank Cammas and Groupama came out with guns blazing to score a very impressive 1,1,2 to lead the standings at the end of the first day. Thomas Coville and Sodebo are second overall, followed by Oman Sailing in third.

Another day of in-port racing and then the fleet heads out for the first offshore leg to Breskens.

Still wish there was better coverage, but it does appear they have plenty of onboard cameras so maybe there will be some good compilation footage afterwards. Really like the M34s, particularly off the wind. Such a huge improvement over the Mumm / Farr 30's of days gone by.
Old 06-30-2013

Tour de France a la Voile - 2

Here is a terrific video introduction to the Tour de France a la Voile (in English, no less)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wYARcBqzO14

The fleet concludes the in-port races today and sets sail for Beskens, The Netherlands, in the late afternoon / early evening. Conditions promise to be a bit brisk.

Meanwhile, at that other Tour de France, kind of a whacky start to the 100th edition, down in Corsica. Team bus got stuck under the finishing banner and didn't get unstuck until moments before the leaders arrived, following 3 crashes that, fortunately, didn't take out any of the big stars. After all the confusion and misadventure, the organizers wisely decided to award all riders the same time, and awarded le maillot jaune to Marcel Kittel, who won the made sprint to the line. Hopefull today's leg will be a bit less "exciting" in the wrong ways.

I'm pulling for Alejandro Valverde, but he's not favored. More likely to see a battle between Contador, Froome and Evans, with a couple others poised to take advantage should conditions arise. Always exciting.
PCP and EricKLYC like this.

Last edited by MrPelicano; 06-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2013

J 88 Launched

It's here! The brand new J 88 Hull #1 is officially launched and in the water.

We'll have to wait a bit for reviews and video footage, but sitting in the water the boat looks good - very similar to the J/70 and J/111 in general appearance. Can't wait to see one in person.
PCP and Edward3 like this.