Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
So, does that mean you only like foiling multihulls?
A foiling multihull with a rating ?

Best regards,

Eric
MrPelicano likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2013

Polluce is on a distinguished road

Dear paulo,

I've been reading this wonderful thread for so long, coz i love sea and boats even if i've nearly never been on one lol Hopefully I think i'll start a sailing school very soon

I'm really sorry about your accident in Vulcano. Meanwhile if you haven't ever visited Scilla at the north entering of the Messina Straight on the Calabrian side, well don't miss the chance
That's the place where i spend my holidays lol

I can't post link or images yet so just google images for "Scilla"

And possibly i'd suggest you to try "paccheri with swordfish and aubergines" in one of the pile-dwelling restaurants (directly accessible by sea) at "Chianalea" wich is the historical fishermen district where houses are built really on the sea (kind of Venice)

google images for "Scilla Chianalea risotoranti"

Hope u'll like it

Last edited by Polluce; 07-04-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polluce View Post
Dear paulo,

I've been reading this wonderful thread for so long, coz i love sea and boats even if i've nearly never been on one lol Learbe d a lot of things and think i'll start a sailing school very soon

I'm really sorry about your accident in Vulcano. Meanwhile if you haven't ever visited Scilla at the north entering of the Messina Straight on the Calabrian side, well don't miss the chance
That's the place where i spend my holidays lol

I can't post link or images yet so just google images for "Scilla"

And possibly i'd suggest you to try "paccheri with swordfish and aubergines" in one of the pile-dwelling restaurants (directly accessible by sea) at "Chianalea" wich is the historical fishermen district where houses are built really on the sea (kind of Venice)

google images for "Scilla Chianalea risotoranti"

Hope u'll like it
Thanks Polluce. Can you tell me if that is a good place to stay on anchor, the type of bottom (sand?) and the dept of anchorage? And if you know wind protection from what sides?

I may very well take your tip since I am crossing the straight going south.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Tour de France a la Voile - 3

My apologies for bringing this up, but the Tour de France a la Voile really is a terrific event for those who like both ocean and round-the-can racing. And once I figured out that Facebook is where the action is for this event, I am getting my daily dose of photos, videos, commentary and news.

Anyway, I guess it is not surprising that Frank Cammas and Groupama are dominating the offshore legs, with two consecutive victories (though leg one was very, very close against Oman Sailing - only decided in the final approach to Breskens). But I am a bit surprised that Groupama is so strong in the in-port racing - indeed, they have been on the podium for every race I think (or nearly, need to check again).

By contrast, Thomas Coville, who is a masterful offshore racer, and his Sodebo team have reallys struggled, particularly in-shore. Admittedly, they had an unfortunate collision at the start of the Breskens leg, breaking their bow sprit, and finished last, subject to redress. Waiting to see where they finished on the Breskens-Dieppe leg, which just concluded.

Anyway, really encourage everyone to go check it out. The videos are too short but excellent photography, and if you go to the Groupama Facebook page you can get even more great info. I think Frank Cammas is my new hero of the moment.
Old 07-04-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Ouch, Paulo.
Hang in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2013

Polluce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks Polluce. Can you tell me if that is a good place to stay on anchor, the type of bottom (sand?) and the dept of anchorage? And if you know wind protection from what sides?

I may very well take your tip since I am crossing the straight going south.

Regards

Paulo
Sure m8
I'm not that expert, but there's a little harbour behind the huge rock with the castle. That's the "chianalea", the quaintest part of the city, where usually sail boats stay on anchor, hope you can find a space there. Anyway I just had a quick check and found that you can find all the info you need on scillaonline.net. Just look for "Porto di Scilla" on the left of the page, under "Vacanze".

I'm so sorry but i'm not able to post links yet
Hope this helps
Old 07-04-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Hold fast Paulo. That old friend is a right royal downer though I do hope you are back on the road faster that us. Five months and counting.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-05-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

A NM 38s (Scugnizza) just won the ORCi 2013 Championships (Class B) for the second year in a row. No doubt well-sailed but designer apparently hit all the right targets under ORCi. Agree that it's a beautiful boat, as well. And I love the stark, impersonal, Italian interiors (don't like the faux wood version, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks.

New boat and nothing less than the actual Italian champion:

http://www.campionatoitalianoaltura2...triestewev.pdf

Another 38ft performance cruiser, an Italian one and as most of the Italian sailboats, a beauty: the NM 38.

The boat looks great and those interiors seem very nice, especially the more modern (less wood) unfortunately they look a lot less impressive in reality:

NM 38 news Salone di Genova.wmv - YouTube

Nautilus Marine NM 38 prova in mare by www.blumag.it - YouTube

They say about the boat:

The hull and deck are constructed under a vacuum, using female moulds and are made in PVC "sandwich" style with unidirectional and biaxial fibers glass and laminated with epoxy resin (with a lifetime guarantee against osmosis).

The carbon fibers used to reinforce the hull bottom gives a greater structural rigidity. Hull and deck are subjected to a post-treatment cycle for maximum performance of mechanical rigidity.

The structure grid is made of carbon and support the loads of the keel, mast and chain-plates, making the entire craft highly secure, even in extreme conditions.

Bulkheads are of marine plywood which are attached to the hull and fixed on the deck. The anti-collision bulkheads forward and aft are made with the same techniques like the hull and deck, so the stern and the bow of the boat are lighter and passing the wave is more comfortable.

It seems great. It is a pity that this boat has a relatively low D/B ratio, 0.309 for a 1.95m draft. A crew seated on the side would not be indispensable but I bet this boat will reef rely soon without it and will have its performance noticeably handicapped. That and an interior a bit impersonal seem to me the only drawbacks for a boat that don't seem very expensive for its quality: 168 000€ without taxes.

About more 38 500€ more than the salona 38, but for having a boat with similar specs (vacuum infused and epoxy resins) the difference would be only 18 300€. However the Salona interiors seems a lot better to me.

Technical specifications
EC Certification: cat. A
Width overall: 11.40 mt
Length water line: 10.15 mt
Full beam: 3.58 mt
Draught: 1.97 / 2.30 mt
Displacement: 5.500 Kg
Ballast: 1.700 Kg
Berths: 2 / 3
Sail Area: 78 mq
Mainsail: 44 mq
Jib 105%: 34.5 mq
Spinnaker area (ORC): 100 mq

PCP likes this.
Old 07-06-2013

Nm 38

A beauty isn't

For what I can tell in what regards Ocean racing there is little difference in the ORCI and IRC rating. It is a shame that the intention to make a only handicap rule (that was announced) seems to be going a hard way.

Here an interesting comparison between IRC and ORC, even if the ORC was updated since then:

Sail-World.com : Rolex Sydney Hobart - ORCi in its second year

sail-world.com -- Rolex Sydney Hobart 2011 ORCi versus IRC as handicap rule

Old 07-06-2013

Stuck on Vulcano

Thanks to all that showed concern for my situation. Not only I was hit violently by a big motorboat as the guy tried to escape from declaring it to the insurance.

It took me several days of hard ball with the Guardia Costeira and the menace to open an official inquest (that here is only made on an accident if one or both parts demand it) to have his insurance papers. They did not have contacted their insurance neither they have declared the accident to the Guardia Costera. Maybe the fact that it is a Palermo boat had something to do with that

Andrews, I am very sorry to know that all the problems with your boat are not sorted out yet....bad luck when it strikes, sometimes strike several times

Best regards to all.

Paulo