Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Oceanis 38

The Oceanis 38 features a continuous full-length chine and deep draft T-shaped keel, which has proven to enhance performance, increase stiffness and provide stability while reducing heel. Moreover, the yacht’s twin rudders make way for a more responsive helm. Design by Finot-Conq.

Oceanis 38 by Beneteau: your boat, your rules - YouTube

Oceanis 38 / Oceanis / Sailboats - BENETEAU USA
PCP likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Oceanis 38

The Oceanis 38 features a continuous full-length chine and deep draft T-shaped keel, which has proven to enhance performance, increase stiffness and provide stability while reducing heel. Moreover, the yacht’s twin rudders make way for a more responsive helm. Design by Finot-Conq.

Having ovned an Oceanis 40-2007 - and having asked for twin wheels and twin rudders for many years - or at least decent steering positions and rudder control - it is interesting to see all these new models popping up. Oceanis 38, Ovni 39, Allures 39,9, Dehler 38 etc.

Impressive new thinking, Beneteau!

Last edited by JAndersB; 08-12-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats - PI14 update

Finished hull, weigth 448 Kg (998 Pounds):
Billeder - uge 32: Skrog ved at blive vendt
PCP likes this.
Old 08-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Oceanis 38

This had to be a great design. The Oceanis 37 was one of the most advanced and best designs on the Benetau line for years and one of the Benetau that was kept in production for more time. I liked a lot the 37 and the main criticism went to the lack of options and the possibility to order a boat that fully exploited the hull without having to make a lot of (expensive) modifications in the rigging.

Regarding hull design and interior options it seems that Benetau got it right. He asked the same designers (hull/rig and interior) to make a better and fast boat and Finot/Conq and Nauta design delivered what was asked. My only doubt is if to all that interior possibilities corresponds also different rigging options. With the right rig this boat is going to be a fast and fun sailing boat.

The boat is beamy (3.99m), on the tradition of solo racers, light (6340kg), with all the ballast in a torpedo at 2.00m (1790kg) and two rudders. With all that hull form stability, that ballast on a torpedo the boat is going to be stiff and with a nice designed hull, I have no doubts that it has the potential to be fast, specially on a reach or downwind.

It seems that Beneteau keeps innovating on the right path and that's why they are the biggest boat manufacturer.

They not only use the best NA has they were the first big builder to understand the advantages of solo racers typology for the demands of the main line cruising boats. This is probably the hull that goes more on that direction. I am sure it will be a very forgiving and easy to sail sailboat.

Sail-World.com : Beneteau and their new, flexible, Oceanis 38

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-13-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2013

Twin rudders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Having ovned an Oceanis 40-2007 - and having asked for twin wheels and twin rudders for many years - or at least decent steering positions and rudder control - it is interesting to see all these new models popping up. Oceanis 38, Ovni 39, Allures 39,9, Dehler 38 etc.

Impressive new thinking, Beneteau!
You know, in what regards boat control unless the boat is really beamy (and all the boats you have mentioned are) the twin rudder is not needed for control and can even add more drag. On the type of boats that are more narrow, like mine, the First 40, the Salona 41 or the Grand Soleil 39 you will have perfect control (at least on most boats, it seems that the GS 39 is a bit nervous) with a deep single rudder.

In fact I had not yet managed to broach my boat (having always the time to let go the main sheet) even in the big gusts you get near the high coast line of Greece. I always and had a big control (and sensitivity) on the rudder and cannot complain about boat control. It makes a huge difference (for better) regarding the old Bavaria 36.

But If I could change something on my boat it would be the rudder, for a twin rudder and the wheel, for a twin wheel setup.

I am sure that I would lose some of that marvelous sensibility on the rudder but the twin wheel setup would allow me to go much faster and easier to the winches to rearrange the sail set up but most of all I would like to have a twin rudder and that has nothing to do with boat control (that is very good) but with cruising convenience.

My boat has a draft of 2.25m and that big rudder goes almost has deep as the keel, at least 2.0m maybe just a bit more. I have no problem in touching with my lead keel on the bottom at very slow speed but I have a problem in doing that with the rudder, even at slow speed. In fact I would have preferred my boat having a 2.4 or even 2.5m keel and the rudder the same size.

This is especially important in Greece where in all those little ports you lay the anchor ahead and go backwards to the quay. Many quays have enough deep two or three m away but have only 1.5 or 1.8 m on the quay and a big rudder is really not only a big disadvantage but dangerous when you move backwards.

This is for me the main advantage of twin rudders even on moderate hulls that could pass without them. They also offer an added advantage if some debris hit and break one of the rudders. The other will offer you some steerage of the boat, a perfect one on the right tack and a limited one on the other tack. Better than nothing.

Of course, it has to have some disadvantage LOL. and it has. The boat is harder to maneuver in ports or marinas...but then it is a small disadvantage and you can always have a bow thruster.

Regards

Paulo
JAndersB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-13-2013 at 04:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
JAndersB (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013

The Balaton bullet: Code 8

I had posted already about this one. It was one of the boats that had impressed me on the Dusseldorf boat show: It looked right

Yacht de test sailed the boat and they have called it the Balaton (lake) bullet. It seem they were impressed too and that the boat not only looks good but sails very well. Great movie:

Code 8 ? Das Geschoss vom Plattensee - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

"Small boat cost...big boat fun".

PS- There is a reason for posting so much today: Stuck on an anchorage with the Meltemi blowing outside widely. My wife don't want to go out...so...

Last edited by PCP; 08-13-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2013

Fastnet

some great news:the SCA team, best known has the girl's team (volvo70) is doing extremely well on the race to the point of being ahead on the canting keel classification (compensated) near the rock.

Some videos:

http://fastnet.rorc.org/news-2013/ra...ce-videos.html

Last edited by PCP; 08-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Essence 33

Look at this beatiful daysailer: Essence 33 - Essence Yachts. For me it is a really nice mix of classical and very modern elements...
Old 08-14-2013

Re: Essence 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Look at this beatiful daysailer: Essence 33 - Essence Yachts. For me it is a really nice mix of classical and very modern elements...
Except for the blue upholstery ....I agree. Beautiful boat indeed.

Regards

Paulo

Old 08-14-2013

Conclusion: You don't need a big boat to sail fast!!!