Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1229Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi everybody,
As I indicated before change in family set up (children getting older) and possibility for us to spend much more time on the boat might motivate a change in equipment used.

We prefer to cruise in the baltic sea, Denmark and on the Swedish west cost. Harbour set ups and desire to spend most time at anchor, or tucked away in a corner of a city marina, especially in autumn, indicate that present wonderful boat might be too big for only the two of us. So anyone interested in a more than fully equipped Wauquiez Opium 39 - 2011, so rightfully praised here, could send me an e-mail for specs etc.

Regards,
Anders
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Elan 320: can you improve on a great little boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post

Let's see if they can keep weight down. 350 was too heavy.

Regards
Anders
And there you have the new 360, a MKII of the 350:

They anounce about the same savings in weight regarding the 350 but it is still too heavy. I mean the boat is not more heavy than the competition (mass market performance cruisers) but the boat looks more aggressive than the others and I for the looks we would say that the boat can plan with a reasonable amount of wind (14 or 15K) like the Pogo.

Well no, I don't think so. The boat weights too much and 20, more probably 25K are needed to bring it and maintain it on planning speeds, assuming a boat not charged. So it will only plan while racing, given the right circunstances. Few cruisers will sail by choice with 25K of wind and if so they will do it with a defensive sail set up, so no planing at all.

By the way I am at a bay in Kimolos bay waiting that Meltemi to blow away. On the bay there are 25 to 35K and no way I can convince my wife into sailing to the next Island. Too uncomfortable for her and I don't think it is only for her since I am here at a day and a half with plenty boats taking shelter and I don't see a single boat sailing on the horizon (the ones that come arrive motoring even if I arrived sailing). So, planning on a Elan 360 while cruising with a short crew...I doubt very much.

Anyway, it is a great and fast performance cruiser and I like it.

Here the test with the previous model (MKI), the 350:

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-17-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

I agreee, to get a "normal" performance cruiser up on a sustained planing you need to set a big gennaker in 20-25 knots of wind, and preferable a swell also, which non racing crews does not do.

We are also rather amused by the normal sailing behaviours up here in the baltic. We like to sail with a lot of wind, at least reaching, and prefer to sail in bad wether and enyoy the sun and beach at sunshine and no wind. Most others do the opposite and start the engines at 8 a clock regardless of wind forecasts promising some wind later that day or no wind forcasted at all.
Old 08-18-2013

America's Cup : the LV finale - Great movie

The ones that say nonsense about these boats and the lack of interest should have a look: what a spectacle!!!

Not many on the shore to see the race, but that is another story. I guess no matter the type of boat you would have the same people or less.

Team NZ smashed Luna Rossa to the point of having survived a huge nose dive (don't miss it on the movie), losing to crew members and even so being able to win the race.

Regarding that story of losing crew members (recovered by the organization boat) and still win, kind of immoral. If they lose them they should be obliged to pick them (and then would lose the race).

Kind of imagining two boats side by side near the finish line on weak winds and all the crew except the rudder man jumping to the water, making the boat almost a ton lighter and allowing it to win. That can be done? Probably there is nothing on the rules that can prevent that. Maybe I am giving some ideas to those guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2013

Don't miss this : For the first time in more than 80 years the Fastnet...

was won by a skeleton crew: Two on a JPK 10.10 and more than that, father and son. What a family, what a pleasure!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
Laurent (08-20-2013)
Old 08-18-2013

Re: RC 44 downwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Not properly a downwind boat the RC 44...but with lot's of wind the boat can go faster...and a bit like a submarine

My son sails 29er in GKSS, the club that runs many of the big competitions in Marstrand, and GKSS was somehow involved in the RC44 tour visiting in june. They invite youngsters to join for one race in every stop over so the GKSS (Gothenbourg Royal Sailing Club) 29er team got the offer. Joel, my son, got the place in Synergi from Russia, with Ed Baird as tactician, and got to grind up the main before the start and sit at the back of the boat for a complete race. What an experience
Old 08-19-2013

Re: RC 44 downwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
My son sails 29er in GKSS, the club that runs many of the big competitions in Marstrand, and GKSS was somehow involved in the RC44 tour visiting in june. They invite youngsters to join for one race in every stop over so the GKSS (Gothenbourg Royal Sailing Club) 29er team got the offer. Joel, my son, got the place in Synergi from Russia, with Ed Baird as tactician, and got to grind up the main before the start and sit at the back of the boat for a complete race. What an experience
Forgot, he made a 5 minutes long video from the occasion. It was raining like hell so GoPro-lens wet at time. Some sequences filmed with my waterproof Sony Mobile also (I was in a rib). Have a look especialla at the mayhem at the first wind ward mark rounding (starting at 3:40). Ed Baird does not really agree with jury

PCP likes this.
Old 08-19-2013

America's Cup : the LV finale - race two

and that nose dive explained and viewed in detail and...surprise: Great!!!!

Last edited by PCP; 08-19-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup : the LV finale - race two

[QUOTE=PCP;1076025]and that nose dive explained and viewed in detail and...surprise: Great!!!!/QUOTE]

"We didn't execute it as well as we could've..."

The understatement of the year.

Actually, what impressed me is how quickly the boat recovered. Dean Barker was quite right when he noted that they were never in danger of going to the coal mine. The boat decelerated then popped right back up. I'm wondering if they just got lucky or if there is more buoyancy in the forward sections of the hulls than there is (was) in the Oracle boat that flipped.

On a less generous note, it troubles me a little bit to think that this was precisely the sort of "action" that Ellison / Coutts have in mind for attracting non-sailing fans to the AC - i.e., making it more like NASCAR. Not being a fan of NASCAR or of any activity that promotes itself based on the dangers to the participants - though I need to be careful because even the VOR and Vendée Globe sometimes lean in that direction - I'd prefer not to see these kinds of accidents at all. But that's just me, and I'm not Mr. Risk Averse in personal life. Just don't like to see that factor used to promote "spectator interest" when the thing itself is more than entertaining and exciting enough without accidents.

My 2 euros.

Mr.P
Old 08-19-2013

Re: America's Cup : the LV finale - race two

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post

On a less generous note, it troubles me a little bit to think that this was precisely the sort of "action" that Ellison / Coutts have in mind for attracting non-sailing fans to the AC - i.e., making it more like NASCAR. Not being a fan of NASCAR or of any activity that promotes itself based on the dangers to the participants - though I need to be careful because even the VOR and Vendée Globe sometimes lean in that direction - I'd prefer not to see these kinds of accidents at all. But that's just me, and I'm not Mr. Risk Averse in personal life. Just don't like to see that factor used to promote "spectator interest" when the thing itself is more than entertaining and exciting enough without accidents.

My 2 euros.

Mr.P
I agree but I don't see the parallel with Nascar. What happens here is that the machines are so hard to drive at the limit that the minimum error could result in a spectacular figure. It happens the same in F1. The best go very near the limit and if they pass the limit...well the least it can happen is a spin. That was like a spin. It looked normal to me and not dangerous as you have pointed out.

Regards

Paulo