Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi guys!

Anders, Iīm impressed that you managed to figure out that it was my parents (well, my mother at least)!

Iīm in the final phase of deciding which boat will be my next. Iīm choosing between a new Dragonfly 32 and a used Dragonfly 35. As you know, I went to Denmark last summer to test sail the DF 32. Since this was a while ago, I donīt remember the boat in detail, and now that they show the boat in Sweden it was a good opportunity to see the boat again. Unfortunately, I did not find time to go. So, I sent my mother! She has been taking pictures and measurements for me. I will make more posts regarding my decision process!

//Mr W
JAndersB likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

Dragonfly 28

I had narrowed my search down to a Dragonfly 28 or Dragonfly 32. But since there is a considerable difference in price, I figured we should probably go for a DF 28. They are also available as used boats, which would save me some more money

I was offered to rent a DF 28 from the Stockholm based Dragonfly dealer, and so I did! I went for a 4 day cruise with my family. Our main objective was to find out if the boat was big enough for us to live in during 2-3 weeks vacation. Conclusion: Itīs not! While there are many places to stow things, itīs inevitably a bit cramped inside the boat, with the four of us there at the same time! I bumped my head quite a few times... We had really nice wheather, so we spent most time outside. But every morning and evening, we experienced a bit of elbowing down below! For weekends itīs fine, because we only go sailing on weekends when the weather is good. But on extended trips, we need a boat that is more comfortable.

We didnīt rent it to find out if it was a good performer, I already know it is. However, we did get some exciting sailing! This boat was equipped with a self-tacker, which suits us very well. I did alot of the sailing myself, and when tacking back and forth in the narrow passages of our archipelago, the self-tacker proved to be invaluable! In 20+ knots of wind with 1st reef in the main, we were doing 8,5-10,5 knots upwind. Bearing of only a few degrees once, we immediately hit 12 knots.

The last few miles we decided to take down the sails and motor our way to the harbour. With the wind on our nose, I sure wished for an inboard engine...

So, despite some very nice days on the DF 28, we decided that we need to go bigger! The DF 32 will be the choice for us. But wait a minute, there are two DF 35īs for sale in Sweden...

//Mr W
PCP and JAndersB like this.

Last edited by Mr W; 08-23-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2013

Dragonfly 35

My impression of the DF32 has been that it is a much more performance oriented boat than the DF35, much lighter with a higher sail/weight ratio. All this with an equally sized interior. The DF 35 has therefore never been an option for me. But when I saw the results from Palby Fyn Cup, I discovered that a DF35 actually beat the DF32 (sailed by people from Quoring I think) on elapsed time! So, I started to look at the numbers, and found out that the DF35 actually isnīt relatively much heavier than the DF32 at all. Iīve seen numbers on the DF35 ranging from 4500-4800kg. I have only seen a measured weight on one DF32 and it is 3900kg. And since there is no major difference in performance, I went to look at the two second hand DF35īs available.

I had a short test sail a few weeks ago, winds were around 18-26 knots. One reef in the main and partially rolled in genoa. We started on a reach, TWA around 60-70 degrees. We were doing around 12-15 knots of boatspeed. Waves around 4 feet. A bit wet actually! We turned back home, now with TWA 120 degrees, and very dry. In a 26 knots gust, we hit almost 19 knots in comfort!

Coming back to the marina, folding was a simple procedure using the electric winch (so was hoisting the mainsail earlier), and the swing thruster makes going in to the slip very easy.

The cockpit is huge, with an aft grp arch to lean against. The main sheet traveler is not a very good solution though. It is controlled with a winch handle on the front side of the sheet track.

Inside I found it very cosy and warm, and compared to the DF28 itīs very spaciuos! This particular boat was rebuilt inside, from the original "port sofa-starboard galley" layout to the newer "classic" layout. There were a couple of things that differed from the classic layout though, which I didnīt like.

All in all, the DF35 is a very very nice boat, big and robust with lots of power under sail. I will decide which boat to buy before the end of next week!

Best regards,
Mr W
JAndersB likes this.
Old 08-23-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road

Having gone throug the Open Yard boat show today I must repeat my earlier expressed opinion about the Soaris One 37. It is so good looking, well built, hull windows at the right places and with a cockpit and interior size more like a 45 footer than a 37. The Swedish journalist organizing the test the other day was going to return with a measuring tape, he could not believe the numbers.

Dragonfly 32 was another highlight. Also Dehler 38 looked rather OK but hull windows
where at the wrong places. Allures 39,9 nice but some cheap loking white drawer and storage fronts where dissapointing. Boreal 44 impressive also. Elan 400 like a big white elefant though, and interior not at all to my liking, both lay out and materials. Oceanis 38 rather interesting and new even if the floating caravan - impression is close to hand.

Regards,
Anders
PCP and Mr W like this.
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

My 62' by 9'10" SLIVER Poject is now being painted. Here is the owner's son Derek looking at the stern and the keel. I know it's not built in Europe and doesn't look like 100 other production boats............ but it sure is interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-derek-keel.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-stern-w-derek.jpg  
chall03 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 08-23-2013
grumpy old man

My mother's maiden name was Nanelli. Does that help?

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 08-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2013

And a final note from open yard at H-R in Sweden. This time through my wife and sons eyes. And the winner is: Oceanis 38. I will testsail it on monday.

Also Dragonfly 32, Haber 34 C4 (!), Allures 39,9 and Solaris One 37 got approval. Dehler 38 to some extent.

Mr W: several Dragonfly 32 testsailors where DF35-owners thinking of switching to DF32 due to lower weight and more flotation in the amas. So I am a little bit surprised about your last note.

Regards,
Anders
Old 08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Mr W: several Dragonfly 32 testsailors where DF35-owners thinking of switching to DF32 due to lower weight and more flotation in the amas. So I am a little bit surprised about your last note.

Regards,
Anders
Hi Anders,

What last note did you referr to? That the Dragonfly 35 is an option? If this is what you mean, there is a good reason for it: around 100.000 euro... I can get a second hand DF35 for 100.000 euro less than a new DF32. The DF32 is lighter weight, but not by much. The DF35 is a bigger boat and carries more sail. Iīve had discussions during this summer with a DF35 owner (who is also a previous DF920 and DF1200 owner), who went to test sail the DF32 a couple of weeks ago. He couldnīt feel any difference regarding speed. To me, there are other differences that are more significant. If I didnīt have the additional money to buy the DF32, Iīd go for a second hand DF35. But right now, Iīm leaning towards the DF32.

If you want to discuss this further, please pm me!

Kind regards,
Mr W
JAndersB likes this.
Old 08-26-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats - Beneteau Oceanis 38

Test sailed the Oceanis 38 in Sweden today. Very light winds, 7-8 knots and really sh..ty sails. Furling main without battens was approximately the size of my sons Optimist-sail

Anyway, the boat still took off and made appr 5-6 knots high on the wind. The hull is rather high in the rear and release water very nice in these conditions. The same goes for running under engine. Shaft is also replaced with S-drive so engine very quiet and without vibrations.

Stearing rather heavy though, and wheels small but this was one of the 7 pre-production examples that are shown at boat shows and then evaluated before serial production starts in november.

The hull looks really nice but as Paulo, myself and others have said before, the rig, blocks, sheeting etc. needs refinement for active and nice sailing experience. I spoke in lenght with the swedish journalist representative in the European Yacht Jury. He had test sailed the boat this morning and he also thought it was really easy driven and very innovative. He agreed that Beneteau could partly replace the First line with this hull with a better rig.

Regards,
AndersInteresting Sailboats-oceanis-38-low-res.jpg
HMoll and Mr W like this.
Old 08-26-2013
grumpy old man

Here is my design WILD HORSES just after leaving the recent Perry Rendezvous in the PNW. I think this is an interesting one off. The hull is alu and the deck is composite.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-wild-horses-wind-4.jpg  
PCP and bjung like this.

Bob's Blog ....