Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Dragonfly 28/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I had narrowed my search down to a Dragonfly 28 or Dragonfly 32. But since there is a considerable difference in price, I figured we should probably go for a DF 28. They are also available as used boats, which would save me some more money

I was offered to rent a DF 28 from the Stockholm based Dragonfly dealer, and so I did! I went for a 4 day cruise with my family. Our main objective was to find out if the boat was big enough for us to live in during 2-3 weeks vacation. Conclusion: Itīs not! While there are many places to stow things, itīs inevitably a bit cramped inside the boat, with the four of us there at the same time! I bumped my head quite a few times... We had really nice wheather, so we spent most time outside. But every morning and evening, we experienced a bit of elbowing down below! For weekends itīs fine, because we only go sailing on weekends when the weather is good. But on extended trips, we need a boat that is more comfortable.

We didnīt rent it to find out if it was a good performer, I already know it is. However, we did get some exciting sailing! This boat was equipped with a self-tacker, which suits us very well. I did alot of the sailing myself, and when tacking back and forth in the narrow passages of our archipelago, the self-tacker proved to be invaluable! In 20+ knots of wind with 1st reef in the main, we were doing 8,5-10,5 knots upwind. Bearing of only a few degrees once, we immediately hit 12 knots.

The last few miles we decided to take down the sails and motor our way to the harbour. With the wind on our nose, I sure wished for an inboard engine...

So, despite some very nice days on the DF 28, we decided that we need to go bigger! The DF 32 will be the choice for us. But wait a minute, there are two DF 35īs for sale in Sweden...

//Mr W
Yes that was also my impression seeing the two boats interiors. The 32 is a true cruising boat, the 28 more a kind of weekender,able to cruise a week but no more. In that respect there are a huge difference between the two boats....and in price too if I remember well. Not a big difference in speed though.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
My mother's maiden name was Nanelli. Does that help?
Bob, we don't have a prejudice against american boats. Lotīs of posts about jboats it is just that the number of interesting boats on the European market (production and one off) are just in much bigger numbers. It seems the American market is turned to motorboats and even great production American boats like Jboats sell more in Europe than in the states.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2013

Dragonfly 32/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
Hi Anders,

What last note did you referr to? That the Dragonfly 35 is an option? If this is what you mean, there is a good reason for it: around 100.000 euro... I can get a second hand DF35 for 100.000 euro less than a new DF32. The DF32 is lighter weight, but not by much. The DF35 is a bigger boat and carries more sail. Iīve had discussions during this summer with a DF35 owner (who is also a previous DF920 and DF1200 owner), who went to test sail the DF32 a couple of weeks ago. He couldnīt feel any difference regarding speed. To me, there are other differences that are more significant. If I didnīt have the additional money to buy the DF32, Iīd go for a second hand DF35. But right now, Iīm leaning towards the DF32.

If you want to discuss this further, please pm me!

Kind regards,
Mr W
Please discuss it here.

I think tat the biggest difference between the 32 and 35 is that the 35 has an offshore potential bigger than the one of the 32. The 32 seems to me much of a coastal cruiser while the 35 has bluewater potential. I have noticed that several 35 are used for that purpose.

Regards

Paulo

Old 08-27-2013

Fastnet movie

A BBC movie about the 1979 Fastnet. It is not a documentary but a great movie centered on one of the boats and its crew. Great stuff...but keep your wife away from it LOL.

Melrna and MrPelicano like this.

Old 08-27-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Fastnet movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
A BBC movie about the 1979 Fastnet. It is not a documentary but a great movie centered on one of the boats and its crew. Great stuff...but keep your wife away from it LOL.
Yes, this is well worth taking a look at, and I personally found it quite moving. Anyone who has spent any time racing or sailing offshore is familiar with the anxiety that comes when the conditions become rough and you are out in the open.

I am not too proud to admit to having been afraid on several occasions offshore - although perhaps most afraid during a race in South Georgia Strait, between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia, when conditions went from fantastic to frightening within a matter of hours - winds gusting to 60 knots, driving rain, very cold, and trying to go upwind in a J/120 for 6 hours at night before finally making it to Secret Cove, on the mainland side, at dawn. Crossing the Columbia River Bar solo, delivering a Yankee 30 from Astoria, OR to Seattle, WA, was also a bit nerve-wracking.
Old 08-29-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Dragonfly 32/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Please discuss it here.

I think tat the biggest difference between the 32 and 35 is that the 35 has an offshore potential bigger than the one of the 32. The 32 seems to me much of a coastal cruiser while the 35 has bluewater potential. I have noticed that several 35 are used for that purpose.

Regards

Paulo
Hi Mr W and Paulo,
I am still a little bit pussled with the question of 32 or 35. I thought the 35 was supposed to weigh more but saw now on their web that it is rated at 3900 kg versus 3300 for 32 so no big difference. I though find the 35 as both too long and too wide folded, also with a mast height making some interesting bridges impossible. And having to go through the toilet to get to the forward cabin in the 35 seems to be better handled in the 32. But shure, there are some DF 35's at good prices on the market. And I thought Dragonfly would retain value well.....

Regards,
Anders
Old 08-29-2013

andreas.m.iversen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Having gone throug the Open Yard boat show today I must repeat my earlier expressed opinion about the Soaris One 37. It is so good looking, well built, hull windows at the right places and with a cockpit and interior size more like a 45 footer than a 37. The Swedish journalist organizing the test the other day was going to return with a measuring tape, he could not believe the numbers.

Dragonfly 32 was another highlight. Also Dehler 38 looked rather OK but hull windows
where at the wrong places. Allures 39,9 nice but some cheap loking white drawer and storage fronts where dissapointing. Boreal 44 impressive also. Elan 400 like a big white elefant though, and interior not at all to my liking, both lay out and materials. Oceanis 38 rather interesting and new even if the floating caravan - impression is close to hand.

Regards,
Anders

Hi Anders. Do you have more pictures of the Solaris and the Salona from the Open Yard Boatshow you would like to share?

regards

Andreas Martin
Old 08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.m.iversen View Post
Hi Anders. Do you have more pictures of the Solaris and the Salona from the Open Yard Boatshow you would like to share?

regards

Andreas Martin
Hi Andreas,
I did not save that many pics. For both boats there are plenty on the net and the Salona 38 does not really do it for me. Trying to post the few I have.

Regards,
Anders

Interesting Sailboats-p1070673.jpg
Interesting Sailboats-imag0516.jpg
Interesting Sailboats-imag0521.jpg
Interesting Sailboats-imag0524.jpg
Interesting Sailboats-imag0539.jpg
Old 08-29-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats - Solaris and Salona pics

Some more pics

Regards,
Anders
Interesting Sailboats-p1070588.jpg

Interesting Sailboats-p1070597.jpg
Old 08-29-2013

andreas.m.iversen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi Andreas,
I did not save that many pics. For both boats there are plenty on the net and the Salona 38 does not really do it for me. Trying to post the few I have.

Regards,
Anders

Attachment 15444
Attachment 15445
Attachment 15446
Attachment 15447
Attachment 15448
Thanks! I'm most likely going to the boat show in Oslo next week to have a look, but really appreciated your images. intersting to not only see professional catalougue pictures, but real life pictures.

regards
Andreas Martin