Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice.... shame about the price! (guessing that's not the Carbon rig?)

That's the price with aluminum rig. Carbon rig is an extra ...more or less 35 000€ (normally including an upgrade kit on all deck hardware and carbon pole - top racing kit).

Regarding prices, from the same family of boats (stell frame, comparable hull and speed and a decent cruising interior) you have First X yacht than the slightly less expensive Arcona and then the less expensive Salona. I would be happy if I can raise the money to have a Salona

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Carbon rig is an extra ...more or less 35 000€ ....
Regards

Paulo
That's about $50K... a big part of your "is carbon worth it?" debate!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
That's about $50K... a big part of your "is carbon worth it?" debate!
That's not for only a mast, it is for a top performance kit.

For example the one from the Elan 38 costs 27 500 € and has:

"SELDEN keel stepped clear coated CARBON mast with two swept back spreaders in aluminium.

running rigging includs:
1 x main halyard Dyneema; 1 x genoa1 halyard Dyneema;1 x spinaker1 halyard Daneema; 1 x genoa2 halyard Dyneema; 1 x spinaker2 halyard Dyneema; 1 x spinnaker pole lift Dyneema.

SELDEN match racing flat boom black anodised;
1 x outhaul; 1x reef1;1 x reef2.

Standing rig: ROD.

HARKEN carbo racing foil instead of Furlex;Three colour navigation light on mast top; CARBON spi pole / dip pole; HARKEN performance deck equipment:
jib inhauls.

racing backstay purchasing system with spectra rope.
2 x Harken B44.2 STA main sail winch; 2 x Harken B44.2 STA halyard winch;
2 x Harken B46.2 STA genoa winch.
Main sheet, genoa sheets, spinnaker sheets and control lines for genoa cars in spectra quality.

2,35m draft racing composite keel (iron fin/lead bulb)"

Probably the one from the x 38 will include also a Carbon Boom (the Elan Boom is black anodized aluminum) and that with the more expensive material from the X yachts will put the price around those 35 000 €.

Of course if you are a cruiser or a club racer you don't need it but if you are going to compete at high level than that will be indispensable and probably less expensive than a complete top performance sail wardrobe.

The carbon mast will take out a lot of weigh up. That will give the boat more righting moment and that will be translated in more sailing power (the boat will be capable of carrying more sail). A carbon mast is also more resistant and flexible. That will allow better sail adjustments.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Dufour 40e

Since Paulo isn't around, I thought I'd post pics of the Dufour 40e. I like where they positioned the winches, making it easier to singlehand the boat.

Old 12-09-2010

Dufour 40e

Slap,

I am still around. I will pick the airplane to Paris in the afternoon

Thanks for posting.

You are right, we should have already talked more about the Dufour 40e. It is one of my favorite boats.

Dufour 40E – Dufour 40E Sailboat – Boat factsheet

Take a look at the interior virtual tour, this boat has one of the best cruising interiors among what is commonly called cruiser racers. That cruiser potential is also revealed by the best tankage in its class: 360L of water and 200L of fuel is two times more than what offer some other boats and almost as much as some dedicated cruisers.

http://www.dufour-yachts.com/medias/...ard_40E_EN.pdf

And you are right also about the winches. This boat, more than been developed in a way to maximize all its racing potential (like the First 40) is by design more oriented for performance cruising and the place where the winches are is a proof of that. Those winches are located, not in the best place for being used by a full crew, but in the best place for being used by a solo sailor

The fact that the boat, being cruising oriented, is still a top racing contender says a lot about its design quality. I would have preferred a more modern transom, but that is just a small unimportant remark and a personal one.

As you know, Dufour is now a member of Bavaria Group. I hope that will make possible a better pricing policy, making it less expensive than other great boats, like the Elan 410 or the Salona 41. If that boat had the same price of the First 40....I guess almost all, except pure hard racers, would opt for the Dufour

Sail Reviews the Dufour 40E | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey Slap, nice one. The 40e is a lovely looking bit of kit. Galley would be a bit bigger if I had my way.

We've talked about this before on this thread but I find it surprising that French boats so often have relatively small galleys.

What can I say, I like to cook.

otoh....what do we reckon ? Diya seem a tad Spammish to anyone else ? Says he/she is from the USA, links profile to a commercial website and IP address is out of India. Diya...this is your chance to explain all that.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-09-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Slap, nice one. The 40e is a lovely looking bit of kit. Galley would be a bit bigger if I had my way.

We've talked about this before on this thread but I find it surprising that French boats so often have relatively small galleys.

What can I say, I like to cook.
I don't care for the nav station - it doesn't look like there is a good way to brace yourself into it. Also, I prefer galleys that are J shaped and not L shaped - so you can brace yourself better on port tack.
Old 12-13-2010

Dufour 40e movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
I don't care for the nav station - it doesn't look like there is a good way to brace yourself into it. Also, I prefer galleys that are J shaped and not L shaped - so you can brace yourself better on port tack.
I agree with you. The new Jeanneau 409 has one of those, but that's difficult to have it on a 40ft boat. Anyway I think you are being a bit unfair. The Dufour has a proper and solid place to brace yourself. You only need to have a life line and clip it around your waist and what looks like the stove big handle. It isn't. It is really a very strong sliding holding point. Ok I agree, it is not as simple or practical as a J shaped galey, but if you have tried you know that will give you an impeccable and movable support.

Regarding the galley, this is a huge one for a 40ft cruiser-racer. The freezer is so big that you have to have two openings, one on the bottom, other more traditional, up and the drawers are really big and can take a lot of stuff.

After looking at the boat (again) at the Paris boat show I can tell you that the boat offers also an unusually good storage space for a 40ft cruiser racer. It has a dedicated space for the life raft (more than enough space) and two big lateral storage spaces. If you are not going around the world in it, or living permanently aboard, the three cabin version has the storage space needed for living comfortably.

Dufour 40E – Dufour 40E Sailboat – Boat factsheet

This is a great boat, fast, safe and comfortable...and I don't know if the recent acquisition by Bavaria has something to do with it, but it has become a lot more desirable: On the Paris boat show they were selling it with an huge 20 000 Euros disccount...just for start, with probably some more minor discounts after that

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Questions?

Regards

Paulo
Welcome back Paulo. Rather you than me when it comes to Xmas shopping in Paris but very envious of the boat show visit.

My question....what did you mean by this ?

"If you are not going around the world in it, or living permanently abroad, the three cabin version has the space needed for living comfortably."

Galley of the 409 does look bigger in the pic than on the drawings.

btw...when you said you sympathised with the Jeaneau dealer...did you really mean empathised ? Sympathised tends to be taken as 'feeling sorry for', empathised is closer to sympatico.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-13-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
AAnd people say english is easy to learn! Probably the hardest language next to chinese from what I understand. As English uses SOOO may other words from other languages, that it makes it harder to learn. Must be why I failed french, and english for that matter!ack!

Marty