Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
First of all, we can not totally relay on boat speed and wind speed numbers - instrument calibration can (are often in my opinion) be very off and current influencing also. But we can get the big picture.

.... But taste is of course different.

Regards,
Anders
Yes, tastes are relative, performances not.

The Oceanis 38 is a nice boat but not on the league of performance cruisers. You have only to look at the SA/D to realize that.

When they get an ORCI rating (or LYS) you will see that I am right and that the Oceanis 38 is not really fast boat, nor a performance boat.

That does not mean that it is not an excellent cruiser, a boat that will fulfill completely the role for the market it was designed. It would be less fast in light wind than any performance cruiser, a fast and stable boat downwind with enough wind, an acceptable boat upwind in flat water and a not very good one, or comfortable one upwind with waves.

Anyway most of that market target (mass market) will not beat upwind and will just motor, so that is not really a problem.

I agree that the Oceanis 38 has a great and innovative interior, at least is the impression I get from the video and photo coverage.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, tastes are relative, performances not.

That does not mean that it is not an excellent cruiser, a boat that will fulfill completely the role for the market it was designed. It would be less fast in light wind than any performance cruiser, a fast and stable boat downwind with enough wind, an acceptable boat upwind in flat water and a not very good one, or comfortable one upwind with waves.

Anyway most of that market target (mass market) will not beat upwind and will just motor, so that is not really a problem.

Regards

Paulo
As I have written before, I am not that shure it will be bad upwind. At least my Oceanis 40 was definitively not uncomfortable, at least not up to 30 knots and nasty 1,5 m waves with short amplitude.

It is amusing me though to see all these boats motoring upwind, slamming hard. A boat sailing upwind has a much softer ride and is often almost as quick, at least in higher winds. But sure, you have to do some physical work and that seems to be a big hurdel for many.

Regards,
Anders
Old 10-01-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Rumen, keep us posted about that please and tell us why the boat seems not to have a traveler.

Oluf used to do that on less sportive boats (Luffe 43DS) but this seems to be a sportive boat.

Regards

Paulo
Last weekend I was in Kolding again testing the new Luffe 3.6 and also the older but improved model Luffe 37.09. On Saturday, though sunny there wasn't enough wind but nevertheless it was worth to see how both boats slippery hulls made speed in winds less than 5 knots. I think the 37.09 pointed better but in my opinion this was because the Genoa on the 3.6 was sled tacking, while the 37 did have a conventional one. On Sunday there was fresh wind and I have been again on the 3.6 this time a guest while the test sailor was a Danish family with two young kids. The first thing that impressed was that leaving and docking was an exercise with all those ropes on the piles since the fresh wind gusting to 25-26 knots was coming form abeam and the slip was awkward.But Oluf and the other guy managed to tame the boat which did have a lot of wind age with the high freeboards. Going upwind in apparent between 30- nod 40 degrees and 22-28 knots caused a significant heel but the boat was very stable. A cute thing is the angled floors at aft part of the cockpit where I could stay standing on the leeward side conveniently. Neither the main, not the genoa were reefer and tacking with a self tacking jib is a piece of cake of cake. The traveller us a very short one may be 50 cm between the benches and I do not think it makes a lot of job. Upwind we were making appr. 7 knots in flat water, while almost dead downwind under mainsail alone we were doing 6 knots. Unfortunately in the Kolding fjord there are no waves and you cannot see the full picture. I thin this boat is not meant to be a racer, but a performer cruiser aimed at families with children who want to switch form the 37 to 3.6 for more space. At least that was what the Danish family was looking for.

Rumen
PCP likes this.
Old 10-01-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Bob Oatley / Australia is the new challenger of record:

America's Cup: Erster Herausforderer aus Australien - Sport*|*YACHT.DE
PCP likes this.
Old 10-01-2013

Premier 45

I had already talked about this design by Botin and Carkeek with exterior Styling by Harry Miesbauerand and Interior design concept by Snohetta. It was for me the wow boat of the last Dusseldorf boat show, the one that put me dreaming: if I was a rich man..

The boat is not as naked as a Pogo (I could live with this one) I would say Zen style and the specifications looked perfect to me: The boat is average in what regards beam ( 4.15m) -for instance a much smaller Hanse 415 has 4.17m - but is hugely stiff, with 41% of B/D, considering a draft of 2.75m and a high profile torpedo keel. The draft is not a problem because the keel lifts in only 20 seconds to a very convenient cruising draft of 1.85m.

The boat is made with high tech materials and weights only 8000kg and that means that it does not need a big sail area to go very fast, in fact the boat has an upwind sail area similar to my boat (Comet 41) but can carry downwind an huge sail area: 260m2

The Premier 45 was tested recently by Yacht de and I was not surprised with their very flattering comments...it just confirms that Wow impression on Dusseldorf. They said:

"Elaborately built like a racer, comfortably equipped as a cruiser: The Premier 45 ideally combines the best of both worlds....she sails gorgeous, fast, agile and problem-free with a performance that is easy to access. This makes it a unique design both outside and inside...

The boat has been nominated for the election of European Yacht of the Year and is currently being sailed by the international jury at Southampton."

Premier 45: Charakter und Leistungsbereitschaft - Service*|*YACHT.DE

Marcelino Botin one of the designers comments on the boat:

“We are expecting the Premier 45 to be fast. It is quite a light boat with a hull based on the TP52 concept, with a wide, powerful stern section, but with high stability. But it is a cruiser, very fast for her size. In terms of performance she should excel both upwind and downwind. Upwind you have a good deep keel and plenty of sail area, and downwind she will fly. We expect her to be faster than the typical competition by a big amount.

” And for us as designers, it is great to have a high tech composite cruiser built in the very controlled environment that Premier has. It ensures that the boat comes out close to the design weight, and hence to the performance we expect.”
“There are a lot of owners who are looking for this type of boat, a smaller Wally-type yacht with a very minimalist, clean approach.”

Premier 45, the ultimate performance cruiser | JEC Composites

You can see more pictures here:

Botin Partners
Mr W likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2013

Fast sailing:

JAndersB likes this.

Old 10-01-2013

Le Cleach, the first exploit on multihull:

New med record, from Marseille to Carthage. As you probably remember Le Cleach was 2th on the last Vendee Globe after a huge fight with François Gabart. After the race he said goodbye to monohulls and entered a new adventurer, racing solo a big multihull. It seems the man learns fast

Old 10-01-2013

Jason Ker 40 class racer

Ker is dominating IRC (in its class) with his One design 40 and not only, just remember that a Sydney 43 also designed by him won the next Sydney Hobart, but one thing is a design for crew racing other a design for solo racing and I am very curious to see how the new solo boat will perform.

Just to see the differences in design, besides beam, have a look at how the design of the transom is different, not in what regards beam being brought back but on the way the boat sits on the water and allows heeling.

The IRC racer:

and the 40 class solo racer:

The boat first race will be the Transat Jaques Fabre that will start soon.

By the way, ker is the one that has been working on the keels and rudders of Salonas with obvious results in speed and victories. The first Salona completely designed by Ker will be the 60 and I cannot wait to see the smaller Salonas completely designed by him.

Old 10-01-2013

Allures 39.9

We have talked already about the new boat from Allures, an Aluminium voyage boat as all the others but no movie of the boat on the water and no boat test. Here are the first one, curiously in English by Sailing today magazine:

the test:

http://www.allures.fr/pdf/ST196_Boat...es39_DK_V6.pdf

They have summed it up this way:

“The Allures 39.9 is close to my ideal cruising yacht and not badly priced when compared to similar GRP offerings.”

Faster and opc11 like this.

Old 10-01-2013

donjuanluis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubota View Post
There is a new Varianta coming up-the 37. She's based on hanse 375 and is to cost less than 80 000€. I cant post links or photos, but you can see the first photo of varianta 37 on Yacht magazin's website. I like the concept of inexpensive, well sailing boat. Hopefully they will eliminate some weak points of older 44(lack of anchor locker, stowage room)... With a few add-ons she could even look good.
Nice thread, with tons of info, congrats...

Today I saw this http://www.varianta.info/#/index.php...3&L=6&type=666
and for 75.000 € on basic version is a really good choice, I think I will like to be in the list.

fair winds and have fun!
PCP likes this.