Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Legend Hunter 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
The Wauquiez Centurion 57 looked very nice.

By the way, here is a link to a new Hunter_

Hunter 37 ? All New ? Designed for You « Legend Yacht Sales

Anders
And it is difficult to say more. No technical specifications neither hull designs or photos except a lateral one that does not say much. We don't know also who has designed that boat. We can see that the boat has a very good galley for a 37ft and that it has a very beamy hull with all the beam pulled aft:

I don't understand their policy. People will buy boats in the states looking only at the interior without any word about materials and the way the boat is built?

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2013

Grand Soleil in trouble

The Pardo Cantieri after being bought by Bavaria is in trouble again. Bavaria let it go and now it risks to go bankrupt if someone is not buying it.

I commented that with a very well informed Italian friend and he explained to me that there was no way Germans could work in Italy among a huge bureaucracy crazy labor laws and the Italian way of doing things that are completely opposed to the German one. Maybe that is way Italy as a country is in trouble too

Well, if they go down they will go down in style because on the last years instead of cutting costs and rationalize production and number of models they had made a lot of new models: a 39ft, a 43ft and a 47 not to mention the very recent 54fter. All very nice boats I should say.

Grand Soleil - Cantiere del Pardo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Legend Hunter 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

I don't understand their policy. People will buy boats in the states looking only at the interior without any word about materials and the way the boat is built?

Regards

Paulo

Sadly, many boats are sold here based on their visual appeal below whilst perched dead-level on stands on an arena floor. (often with a curtain around the underbody )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-10-2013

JPK 10.80/Sunfast 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
I think these settees are meant for short handed racing, especially the Transquadra where the Sun Fast 3200 made its reputation. On watch you can take a sheltered rest on both tacks, your weight in the right position (centered and on the high side), with a hatch right above your head to keep an eye on the Windex and mainsail, ready to jump into the cockpit for maneuvering.

The Pogo 30, also clearly designed with the Transquadra in mind (no 10.50 ever participated because it didn’t fit the inclusion criteria, I think because of the keel), features the same settees on both sides, plus a frontal window in the coachroof for a forward view on the jib/spinnaker.

For cruising purposes the settee next to the galley can be switched for a hinged burner/oven and I suppose Jeanneau will also offer this option on the Sun Fast to improve the galley.

Best regards,

Eric
Yes you are right about that but it makes no sense in what regards cruising and I don't know if Jeanneau is going to purpose another interior. If they intended to do so they would have presented it on the boat project. They didn't and when things are not thought from the beginning sometimes modifications are very costly and big companies are very renitent to change anything that has to do with molds.

On the contrary their closest competitor, JPK 10.80, previewed from the beginning two interior layouts, one similar to the one from Jeanneau, with two lateral settees (that have a forward view) and one for cruising maximizing the galley.

Both boats are very similar in weight, beam, draft, ballast and hull design, having the JPK a bit more form stability (a bit more beam) and a bit less ballast but the differences are really very small: The JPK has more 5 cm of draft, less 100kg of ballast (1900 to 2000kg) and more 10cm of beam (3.65 to 3.55) the keels are similar and the JPK is 300kg heavier (4800 to 4500kg)...but regarding that what counts is the real weight of the boat, not the one that is intended. They are not always the same, I would say rarely are the same

The JPK 10.80 should be almost ready. Some pictures:

and the first Sunfast video:

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-10-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2013

Azuree 46

WOW, very nice and interesting!!! This seems to be an improvement in design over the two previous boats. I guess the change in designer have something to do with it. The 40 was a Ceccarelli design the 46 is a Rob Humphreys and one of the most beautiful among them, in my opinion.

Humphreys says about it:

"Having considered a shortlist of potential designers for their new Azuree model, Sirena Marine tasked us with the challenge of designing a new flagship for the range. The current models are exciting, twin-ruddered Open-style boats and share some philosophy with a development line we have pursued for a number of years, one that in our case derives from our work in the Open 60, Volvo 70 and Class 40 theatres.

We love this style of boat; it delivers a heady mix of excitement and excellent traction. If it was a car it would be one which could be thrown it into the corners at high speed in the knowledge that it would respond to the driver's most delicate touch - adrenaline and reassurance mixing in a rare infusion.

But... fast, exciting yet forgiving: these are qualities one can find in a dedicated, custom raceboat, and in themselves are not enough to enthuse the wider sailing sector. We needed to focus not just on performance per se, but on performance versus handicapping, under both IRC and ORC rules. We wanted to design a boat that could thrill in its sailing qualities but also have a chance of delivering some silverware, and with the Azuree 46 we believe we have a boat with well-rounded capability.

Of course she will be fast and exhilarating downwind in a breeze, but at the same time powerful upwind in the same conditions, with her long waterline and easy lines giving her the feel and power of a larger yacht. And in the same, ambidextrous way we had to make sure she was no slouch in the light; her hull may be wide and powerful, but the upright immersed sections represent a surprisingly low wetted area form in order to minimise viscous drag and make the most of the Azuree 46's generous sail plan.

If it was a case of ticking boxes, that's a few of them addressed. But for many boat owners, performance and race-winning potential is only part of their lifestyle. For an immense number, sailing is also about the simple joys of just enjoying life on board, to have home-comforts at anchor as much as to have long-distance passagemaking as part of their potential itinerary.

The Azuree 46 can hold its hand up as a very capable cruising yacht, as able to slog it round Ushant in the teeth of a South Westerly as to provide exuberant comfort at anchor in Göcek, where the enormous cockpit transforms itself into an enveloping reclining area.

The Azuree 46 is a thoughtfully blended cocktail, sensitively composed and definitely shaken, not stirred."

We will talk more about this one that seems to be a hell of a boat and probably at a very nice price (the boat is made by Sirena in Turkey).
JAndersB likes this.

Old 10-10-2013

Jean Pierre-Dick capsizes his Mod 70 (70ft trimaran)

That's the second time a Mod 70 capsizes recently. These babes are fast...but very tricky to sail specially with a two men crew. I wonder how it is going to be on the Route du Rhum when they will be solo sailed.

Great images anyway:

Chavirage de VIRBAC-PAPREC 70/vidéo hélico by Virbac-Paprec_SailingTeam

CHAVIRAGE DE VIRBAC-PAPREC 70/VIDÉO À BORD by Virbac-Paprec_SailingTeam

The MOD70 Virbac-Paprec capsized on Thursday afternoon during a training session ahead of the Transat Jacques Vabre, off Belle Ile.

Her two crew, Jean-Pierre Dick and Roland Jourdain were sailing 15-20 knots of wind. They were surprised by a strong gust and could not stop their multihull overturning. Their mast broke into three pieces.

Roland Jourdain was able to protect themselves under the hull, while Jean-Pierre Dick was violently ejected into the water.

Initially, both crew were declared safe and sound, with some back pain for Jean-Pierre. Eventually Dick was airlifted to hospital in Lorient. A compression of a vertebrae was diagnosed, it remains under observation for two days.
Jean-Pierre Dick later commented: 'I'm still in shock. Everything went very quickly. I saw a strong gust get behind us. I released the mainsail carriage but it was obviously not not enough.

'Everything changed quickly, I fell from a great height, and I hit something and before falling into the water. It was violent.

'Fortunately, I was able to reach the hull very quickly. I could soon feel that I had back pain. We waited for rescue in sadness.' ...

Roland Jourdain commented: 'We were sailing in 15 knots of wind but with irregular established gusting to 18-20 knots. The conditions were manageable. Suddenly, there was a stronger gust than the others. The boat is rose and rose. It hovered for a few endless seconds. I released the Solent jib. We thought it was going to come back upright ... but the boat capsized.

'I was very afraid for Jean-Pierre. This is the first capsize I have experienced, I am very shaken. '

Sail-World.com : Virbac-Paprec 70 capsizes ahead of Transat Jacques Vabre - Video

- Jean-Pierre Dick, skipper de VIRBAC-PAPREC 70

Old 10-10-2013

J 122 evolution

The same hull, a new cabin, a new interior :

The J122 E is quite simply more modern and is sure to correspond with the needs of an ever more demanding clientele”.

Stéphane Roséo: “The aim of ‘J Composites’ was to modernise the boat’s interior. We’ve gone for a more contemporary atmosphere with colours like white and chestnut brown for the upholstery and walnut panelling, on the principle of timeless appeal. For the exterior, I quickly suggested portlights to Didier Le Moal. It was essential to have increased natural light in the saloon”.

J/122 Evolution | Key Yachting

Even so I don't like the dark wood and the color combination. I hope they will have more wood and color otions

Old 10-10-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Jean Pierre-Dick capsizes his Mod 70 (70ft trimaran)

Quote:
That's the second time a Mod 70 capsizes recently. These babes are fast...but very tricky to sail specially with a two men crew. I wonder how it is going to be on the Route du Rhum when they will be solo sailed.
Horrible…
There wasn’t even that much wind! What went wrong? These high-tech machines have gyroscopes, automatic pressure release equipment etc. to avoid this in much worse circumstances.
Luckily nobody got seriously hurt and rescue was readily available. Imagine the same scene in the middle of the Atlantic and in really bad weather…

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-10-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: JPK 10.80/Sunfast 3600

Quote:
Yes you are right about that but it makes no sense in what regards cruising and I don't know if Jeanneau is going to purpose another interior. If they intended to do so they would have presented it on the boat project. They didn't and when things are not thought from the beginning sometimes modifications are very costly and big companies are very renitent to change anything that has to do with molds.

On the contrary their closest competitor, JPK 10.80, previewed from the beginning two interior layouts, one similar to the one from Jeanneau, with two lateral settees (that have a forward view) and one for cruising maximizing the galley.

Both boats are very similar in weight, beam, draft, ballast and hull design, having the JPK a bit more form stability (a bit more beam) and a bit less ballast but the differences are really very small: The JPK has more 5 cm of draft, less 100kg of ballast (1900 to 2000kg) and more 10cm of beam (3.65 to 3.55) the keels are similar and the JPK is 300kg heavier (4800 to 4500kg)...but regarding that what counts is the real weight of the boat, not the one that is intended. They are not always the same, I would say rarely are the same

The JPK 10.80 should be almost ready.
Not forseeing a cruising version is indeed a serious mistake from Jeanneau. Image building (Transquadra) is one thing, selling boats to a broader public is something else. Especially in these difficult times when even reputated yards such as Del Pardo are struggling for survival.

Concerning the JPK 10.80, I once again fully agree (cf. our discussion on page 448 of this wonderful thread).

Best regards,

Eric
JAndersB likes this.
Old 10-10-2013

Re: Jean Pierre-Dick capsizes his Mod 70 (70ft trimaran)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Horrible…
There wasn’t even that much wind! What went wrong? These high-tech machines have gyroscopes, automatic pressure release equipment etc. to avoid this in much worse circumstances.

Eric
Yes, I thought about that. Fact is that the boat goes over 45º without any sail being dramatically released. We can see only minor adjustments in the sails trying to compensate the increase in wind.

Maybe because they were being filmed they disconnected the safety safeguards and were trying to sail out the gust doing some spectacular sailing with the boat flying only on one amas with a lot of heel. I cannot find any other explanation for the sails not being fully released when the boat started to heel. The truth is that is a very difficult boat to sail and everything happened very quickly.

Well, the images are spectacular but I guess it was not that kind of spectacle they were trying to give something went very wrong and happily nobody was seriously hurt...but it could have been otherwise.

cheers

Paulo
EricKLYC likes this.