Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Les Voiles de St Tropez 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo,

I like the last video, a bunch of old still looking good boats in and amongst the new ones....pretty site, all around.

Marty
Old 10-14-2013

Generali Solo 2013 - Solo sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

I like the last video, a bunch of old still looking good boats in and amongst the new ones....pretty site, all around.

Marty
Yes, in Saint Tropez you can find the true spirit of sailing and we can see that great sailboats are forever. The old ones even if slower do it in style...and not that slow

Some more videos that I think you will appreciate from the last solo race in Benetau Figaro II. The images are from the in-port regattas and I find them incredible. They show how good those sailors are.

One thing is to take solo a boat on the Ocean other is sailing it trough a traditional regatta with more than a dozen of other boats very close: They are all one man band and they play quite well even if compared with a full band very impressive.

Grand Prix du Languedoc Roussillon - 1ère journée por generalisolo

The Generali solo was won by Adrien Hardy with the great Gildas Morvan in second. That was enough for Morvan to won (for the 4th time) the French elite solo championship.

Generali Solo 2013

Andrien Hardi is one of the young (29) solo French sailors on the rise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2013

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I have seen some pics on facebook, but nothing so far elsewhere. Jeanneau has a new boat coming out, the SO 349. Looks nicer than the 33i that it replaces, not as boxy as the 379, more like the 409 is with IMHO better lines all around. A performance and std rig etc is being speced. BUT< if the performance is anything like the other xx9 series boats from Jeanneau, the Performance options will be nothing more than nicer/easier features from a sailing standpoint from what I can see. IE line control cars, both main and genoa. an extra winch along with larger sheet winches, spin gear std.....tri radial sails, and sometimes a 135 genoa vs a 110.....nothing I would look for, like a deeper lead keel option, taller rig by a meter or two depending upon the length..........

I have also not seen anthing about Jeanneau doing a 2nd interior option. A 2 cabin with a front V berth and rear head would be my preferred interior if I could choose an option.

Marty
I would say even more nicer than the 409 if we take into consideration that it is much more difficult to design a nice looking 34ft than a 40ft.

It looks like Marc Lombard at his best. For what I can tell for the two pictures seems not only a nice hull but also a fast one if we consider main market cruising boats. The interior is also very well designed, with a separated shower and all.

I want to see and know more. Do you have the dimensions?

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-14-2013

Paulo,
A c&p from a thread in the jeanneau owners site for specs.

This is the provisional spec:

Overall length: 10.34 m / 33' 11”
Hull length: 9.97 m / 32' 8"
Waterline length: 9.40 m / 30' 10”
Beam: 3.44 m / 11' 3”
Displacement: 5350 kg / 11795 lbs
Standard draft : 1.98 m / 6' 5”
Shoal draft: 1.49 m / 4' 10”
Engine Yanmar: 21 Hp / 15 kW
Sail area – standard: 57m² / 613 sq ft
Sail area – performance: 60 m² / 646 sq ft
CE Category: A6/B8
Designers: Marc Lombard - Jeanneau Design

Worth noting this is a Mark Lombard design (same as 379). Rig looks different with full beam shrouds and a rumour that the performance version may sport a "fat head" main. Also there are twin rudders peaking out of the image, maybe will be on both versions? Would be good to think there maybe a lift keel to follow.

Read more: Sun Odyssey 349 announced | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum

I personally had not noticed the seperate shower. I HAVE noticed that jeanneau went away with that option in the 379 and 409. That is something I liked about the previous 34-40' Jeanneau models from a cruising standpoint. Well, I should say the Admiral liked that option. The Cabin Boy does not get a say in this sometimes.

HERE is that thread with a few more interior pics etc.

Marty
Old 10-14-2013

Sun Odyssey 349

Yes, definitively we can see the two rudders here:

and the boat has not only an interior that looks good on the plan, but also on the 3D images:

But I think that happens with this one what happens with the Oceanis 38: The boat looks like a performance cruiser but it is just a nice main market cruiser, that was probably what it was intended. The weight is not convincing in what regards the possibility of this boat to be a performance cruiser.

As usual on Jeanneau the name of the boat is deceiving in what regards its true length: This is not a 35ft boat but a 33ft boat. For instance a Comet 31 that has about the same hull length weights 3900kg while this Jeanneau weights 5350kg.

Marty, anything about the boat ballast? I mean weight?

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-14-2013

Mini Transat

Interesting comments about the postponement of the race:

In the Mini Transat, the recurring question in Douarnenez is why did you not start on Sunday with good weather prevailing over the bay? The answer lies at Cape Finisterre on the northwestern tip of Spain. This is where the singlehanders might be caugh out in the cold, beating in winds of 35 knots in a big sea. Critical conditions for boats as small as 6.50m sailed singlehanded.
It is understandable that in these conditions the race committee has chosen to postpone the start of the Mini Transat. Moreover, they must now find a big enough window to stop it slamming shut on the fingers of the fleet. However, the current situation offers intervals of only 48 hours, which is not sufficient to allow all competitors to cross the obstacle of the Bay of Biscay and make their descent along the western coast of Galicia.

They have to sail about 450 miles before meeting more manageable conditions. To ensure the safe passage of the fleet what is needed is a weather window of about three full days. But the pressure systems currently feeding the near Atlantic are at relatively southern latitudes, making the dominant winds southerly to southwesterly. The famous jump to a nor'wester, following the passing of a depression, does not have time to establish itself before a new system takes its place.

Faced with such a situation, the organising team has opted to wait for favorable weather window to reach Lanzarote.

One alternative that could be considered is breaking the first leg into two separate sections. The first could take the fleet from Douarnenez to Gijon, a Spanish port that can easily accommodate a fleet of 84 Minis.

... At Gijon, the soloists can await another weather window to round Cape Finisterre. The advantage of the operation: by splitting the leg it considerably reduces the size of the good weather window necessary to open the road to the south. But today, no decision has yet been taken, as this solution raises a number of logistical problems. Next rendez-vous will be at 18.00 tomorrow . The race has chosen to play the card of transparency with the competitors : this is also in the spirit of the Mini.

by Solene Rennuit

http://www.minitransat.fr/actualites...troite?lang=en

Last edited by PCP; 10-14-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2013

Paulo,

I have not seen any figures for ballast as of yet. I do agree that the base wt seems heavy in regards a true performance boat stand point. Get it into the low to mid 4KG area, along with some sail area, approaching 65-70sm, and draft closer to 2-2.2M, and then yes, this would be more in the performance range, or what I would call a race/cruise boat. Heck, my boat at 6500 lbs has 540sq ft of sa, for a total of 24.x-1 fully up and running. Std 100% triangle is 18-1.

FOr where I am with ave winds in the 5-15 range, one needs a reasonably light boat, low wetted surface area, along with a tall rig to get full sailing benefit of the wind. A deeper keel, with a lead bulb, total mast ht in the 48-52' range would be ideal at least around here! To me it is better to be reefing or reducing to a smaller LP% jib in the 10-15 range, than worry about in the 20 knot range as some "BS's" boats do.

Marty
Old 10-15-2013

Comet 31s

And since we are talking about the new Jeanneau 349 and used the Comet 31 has reference let's have a new look at it. When I had posted about it (below) the boat was not even on the Comar site and had not been tested so now there is a lot more information available.

They seem to be very different boats in size (they are in weight 3900kg to 5350kg but on the interior space, length and beam they are closer even if Jeanneau calls to a a boat with a overall length and hull length of 10.34m, 9.97m a 349 and Comet, to a boat with 10.44 and 9.74m calls 31. In fact the difference on the hull length is just 23cm and on the overall lenght the Comet is bigger. Regarding beam and draft both boats are also very similar, being the beamier one the Comet but just for 4cms while the std draft while similar is a bit bigger on the Jeanneau (1.98 to 1.90).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have passed the new year's eve in Rome and among other things went to have a look at where the Romans keep their boats. Mostly they keep them out of the marina on the river banks, a really nice place and I found there this beauty:

That's a brand new Comet 31 s, so new that they don't have yet pictures in their site

The boat is absolutely gorgeous one of those things you just want to have and I bet that it is a lot of fun to sail. Look at this specs:

Loa. 10,44 m
Hull lenght 9,74 m
beam 3,48 m
Draft 1,90 m
weight 3.900 Kg
ballast std 1.090 kg

Engine 20 hp
Diesel tank 45 lt
Water tank 170 lt

Sails
Main 32.80 m2
Genoa 108% 24.00 m2
Gennaker 85.00 m2

Comar Yachts
CE
Category B-A
Price 69.000,00 €

The numbers look as good as the boat. With 28% of B/D ratio but with all the weight on a bulb at 1.90m and a lot of form stability this small animal can carry a lot of sail and a geenaker with 85m2 for 3900kg is a lot of sail

This beauty should plane very easily: a delightful rocket sailboat that seems to have the potential for coastal cruising and the most amazing is that they say that the boat is certified for offshore work (RCD A category). On a light boat of this size that means a very well designed boat and a seaworthy boat for its size with good stability parameters.

I really like this one
It looked good to me and time proved that it looked good to many because the 31 quickly become the more successful boat (in what regards sells) on the Comet line. it also reveled itself as a very fast boat with cruising potential.

The boat testers have been very enthusiastic about the boat. For instance the Italian SVN (the translation is mine):

"Its fast, agile, very responsive on the tiller. It has a big interior volume and a cockpit that can take 5 with ease. On the interior it has space for 4, even for extensive cruising.

It is a solid boat...we find that it has an optimum price/quality relation.

It is a boat that points to the sportive sailor that wants to sail a lot. It is indicated for fast cruising, even solo and with 4 it can do well in regatta, specially in IRC."

http://www.comaryachts.it/images/Boa...008%202012.pdf

This year I could have a good look at the boat again (there was one at the place where I keep my boat), and talk about it with one of the knowledgeable guys from Comar. Here are the photos I have taken:

As you can see the boat has an unusual transom, I mean it is one with all the beam brought back but faraway from the beam of a boat maximized for downwind sailing like the Pogo 30. The Pogo 30 has a beam of 3.70m and the Comet only 3.48m.

While the Pogo (and the boats that share that type of hull has a chine that limits heeling and maximizes it at a relatively low angle of heel this one has a rounded smooth lateral surface on the side of the transom. The explanation is that they wanted an easy boat downwind but without handicapping upwind performance. That soft surface allows the boat to hell more without the drag caused by the chine at considerable heel angles, taking advantage of the RM provided by the ballast. They said to me that it works and that the boat is a good upwind boat notwithstanding that type of transom that allows a more stable downwind ride that is very important to solo sailing.

The boat has a good interior with a big head but a galley smaller than the one on the Jeanneau. The first boats come with colorful galleys that did not make for a consensual opinion so they can offer those but offer also more discrete options that I think go better with the rest of the interior that is a nice and good quality one.

The price is a nice surprise since it goes in pair with the one of a First 30 and Comets used to be a lot more expensive than First.

Some more photos and a video:

Old 10-15-2013

Solaris 37 video

Beautiful boat, great video on Yacht.de:

Solaris One 37 ? die edle Italienerin - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

If someone is thinking in buying a 37ft Halberg Rassy or a similar luxury boat (on that price range) and intend to sail more than motor have a look at this one. Very nice interior, great stability and cruising potential in a beautiful boat, inside and outside.

If you do not believe me maybe you have more confidence on the Yacht.De boat testers. They are the ones that test more boats for year and have an huge knowledge of what the boat market has to offer. They say about the Solaris 37:

"It is one of the finest production yachts of our time. The Solaris is not only excellent in quality, but also excellent in sailing". (the translation is mine).

It is difficult to be better than excellent

Last edited by PCP; 10-15-2013 at 08:32 AM.