Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

As I said, looking at the polars, there is really not a lot of difference between the 40e and the 409, and for that matter, even the two Elans! The 350 while slower overall than the other three, still within what I would call the same limit. So from a boat length standpoint, the 350 to me is the fastest of the 4, with the 380 next, 40e then 409. Granted in reality as shown, the 40e is the fastest boat for boat.

Polars are fun to look at to see how a boat will perform.

marty
Old 12-18-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 350 movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

As I said, looking at the polars, there is really not a lot of difference between the 40e and the 409, and for that matter, even the two Elans! The 350 while slower overall than the other three, still within what I would call the same limit. So from a boat length standpoint, the 350 to me is the fastest of the 4, with the 380 next, 40e then 409. Granted in reality as shown, the 40e is the fastest boat for boat.

Polars are fun to look at to see how a boat will perform.

marty
Marty, that's about it, even if the two most amazing boats are the Jeanneau and the Elan 350. The Jeanneau because it is surprising to see a big production cruiser with a so good sailing performance and the Elan 350 because it is surprising to find in a top performance boat really good cruising potential. The performances are incredible, but the interior is also awesome.

I mean, this boat is not a slow boat upwind and downwind with lots of wind it will beat the crap out of the Dufour 40e and Elan 380. The boat is already as faster as the Dufour with 20K and with more wind, it just goes away. With 35k the Elan 350 will be doing more than 15k.

But the surprise is this interior:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB.../elan_350_.swf

It looks good on the photo, but I wanted to see if the boat had enough storage and if I could fit in. I am big (6.14ft), hate small bunks and not to be able to stand in the head. Surprise!!!!:

The front cabin is really long, no problem there. No problem also with the salon and the head standing headroom. Only the front cabin is kind of low, but that is not a problem for me.

Regarding storage, it is perfect, with a huge cockpit locker (that has to be divided), lots of space under the front bunk and overall good cabinet storage.

The head is big and has a big storage space for wet suits and boat gear. The galley is well designed and big enough, with a good sized freezer.

So this was a good surprise for me and also good news. It means I can live in this boat, not with the same comfort as in the others...but I guess that I will have as much fun sailing this one, if not more, than sailing any of the others. It will be certainly much more fun than the 409. And as a bonus, this boat has an huge cockpit.

Regarding comfort, with the 30 000 euros difference in price, I can certainly cruise a lot more "comfortably", if you know what I mean. Not so much space, but much better wine, some lobsters, some expensive restaurants and nicer marinas, more airplane trips to Croatia, more sailing.

Yes, I am going to have the boat in Croatia. I loved the place and it is a good point to explore the Med: It is near Greece, near Italy, Sardinia, Corsica, Sicily and its 2000 Islands have a lot to discover.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

I think you are seeing why I like a lot of the 35'ish foot boat designs like the E350, SF3200, etc. many if designed properly, have the fun factor in them from a sailing standpoint, enough room to store what one needs for a weekend or a week or so. Some still, if you pack reasonably light, a month or so.

Head room as you say, can be an issue, you appear to be about 2" taller than me at 6', my sons on the other had, at 5'16" are the shrimps amongst us. My boat with 5.5 to barely 6' of head room is hard on us from that standpoint.

Then you have mooring fees etc with the extra 5' of boat...... A couple I was sitting on there very nice 50'ish foot MB at my YC's holiday on the docks boat, he made a comment, going to a 44' boat would net an extra $100 in moorage savings. Not going to ask how much he pays vs my 30' slip! at least double if not 130% more, as the per foot goes up the bigger you are! While $100 is not a lot, it is still, another lobster dinner, or equal when it comes to the cruise kitty! Then add in sail cost, more fuel to motor when need be.......... A lot can be done in a properly designed mid 30' boat!

Marty
Old 12-18-2010

henrifinnflyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Hell, I like that one better.. Paulo that's the one for me indeed. Interesting with the dark cabin sole.. looks better than I'd have imagined. (Carbon, right? ) Not Catalina 'roomy', but she should sail well enough and keep a first mate satisfied.

This would fit nicely in our existing slip, too, unlike the Luffe 43DS - and might even leave our kids some inheritance too.
Finn Flyer Boats are now available in the US/Canada, please contact Finnes, Henri in San Diego CA ph. 858 337 6123
Old 12-19-2010

Varianta 44

Hey Faster now you can buy a Finn Flyer

In the Paris boat show there was another boat that called the attention of many people. There was a lot of people to see it and as I was just curious I did not find the time to go inside.

The boat is the Varianta 44 and it responds to what many on this forum claimed they want: An inexpensive simple and seaworthy boat with everything indispensable and no no-sense "modern" equipments.

The price is really incredible: 100 000 € and the quality is good. The boat is made by Hanse Yachts, the hull is the one from the 430 and to make possible this price you don't have dealers. You buy it via internet

This is a good sailboat, or even a very good one, with a high B/D ratio and with a good rigging. The interior...well, its a mix between a camping tent and a hippie house...an ambient that makes us remember the 60's...and why not? It was a great time, at least for me

Tell me what you think about this one, it is certainly an interesting one

On the site take a look at the 360º photos. They are great. Take also a look to the video:

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2010
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hey Faster now you can buy a Finn Flyer

In the Paris boat show there was another boat that called the attention of many people. There was a lot of people to see it and as I was just curious I did not find the time to go inside.

The boat is the Varianta 44 and it responds to what many on this forum claimed they want: An inexpensive simple and seaworthy boat with everything indispensable and no no-sense "modern" equipments.

The price is really incredible: 100 000 € and the quality is good. The boat is made by Hanse Yachts, the hull is the one from the 430 and to make possible this price you don't have dealers. You buy it via internet

This is a good sailboat, or even a very good one, with a high B/D ratio and with a good rigging. The interior...well, its a mix between a camping tent and a hippie house...an ambient that makes us remember the 60's...and why not? It was a great time, at least for me

Tell me what you think about this one, it is certainly an interesting one
It looks like a very good idea, especially for sailing schools or chartering. Since the boats are stripped out, they might make an interesting one design fleet for racing.

I would like to see a version with fewer berths for couples or small families. Keep the interior simple, and make it easy for owners to upgrade it as they wish.
Old 12-19-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
I would like to see a version with fewer berths for couples or small families. Keep the interior simple, and make it easy for owners to upgrade it as they wish.
This is possible. You can skip the second stern berth.

However:
It seems that this boat has not even an anchor and no winch for it. And even no anchor locker? I am not sure. In the FAQ they suggest to use a "lead line" and a winch in the cockpit. No winch can be ok, but no locker???

So this is really spartan. But anyway, I like it.

Ulf
Old 12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
...However:
It seems that this boat has not even an anchor and no winch for it. And even no anchor locker? I am not sure. In the FAQ they suggest to use a "lead line" and a winch in the cockpit. No winch can be ok, but no locker???

So this is really spartan. But anyway, I like it.

Ulf
Yes Ulf, that's true, no winch and no anchor locker and also almost no cockpit lockers. The one in the cockpit opens to one of the cabins.

I guess they are going to change that because lots of people will want to anchor. For me it is really the weak point of this boat and I believe that will not be too costly to solve that.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
It looks like a very good idea, especially for sailing schools or chartering. Since the boats are stripped out, they might make an interesting one design fleet for racing.

Yes, they are organizing (with the owners) a class rule. With good sails this is going to be a fast boat. The Hanse 430 is not bad as a racing boat and has even won some races:

Hanse Yachts

This one is a stripped out Hanse 430 so it should be lighter and faster.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-20-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Love the fit and finish of these boats. (The Sirius) But, having spent time on a deck salon recently I gotta tell you that I'm no longer a fan of steps in the cabin going up and down. One badly timed swell or wave as you're about to move up or down them and you'll see what I mean. Bad enough that you have to deal with companionway steps in a big sea. Having extra steps down below is an invitation for injury!
Also, not a fan of galley's that are stretched out all along one side of a boat. The cook has got to have a way to wedge themselves into the galley while underway. Sometimes it is necessary to hang on to a large pot while you're cooking. (The crew needs to eat even in large seas.) If you get in a blow there's just no way to hang on to things if you're using both hands to keep your self upright.
I am glad to see that the table is anchored to something on one side. These tables with just a pedastel in the middle tend to spin when you grab hold of the edge of one of them.
Beautiful boat though. Would love to opportunity to take her out for a spin!

Last edited by NCountry; 12-20-2010 at 09:47 AM.