Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Dufour 410 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Even so it seems that regarding the boat you have seen on the boat show your opinion is not shared by all:

Regards

Paulo
Maybe reviewers should also state the amount of visits to Pussers for Level 3 Painkillers. In the afternoon, I thought boats were a lot nicer as well....
JAndersB likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Dufour 410 GL / Middle of the sea race - movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Maybe reviewers should also state the amount of visits to Pussers for Level 3 Painkillers. In the afternoon, I thought boats were a lot nicer as well....
I don't understand what you mean. I like going to boat shows and if I am getting tired to see boats I just go away and come back in another day. That's what that poster probably does also since he went two times to that boat show.

Well, forget about that, people like different boats for different reasons, just look at this movie about the Start of the Middle of the sea race. It is not the race in itself that is more interesting but the superb movie quality, the boats, the city walls (Malta): beauty to my eyes

Regards

Paulo
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2013

Neel 45 trimaran

I took a lot of time to post about this one and I don't know if I have posted about the big brother, the 50ft that it is on the market for some years now. The problem (for me) is that I find this a very ugly boat even if I had to admit that it makes sense as a more valid sailing alternative to the condo type cats like Lagoon (that I also find ugly).

They say that the boat is two times faster than a 45ft monohull and 1.5 times than a similar sized cat.

First and only time I meat one on the water was in Croatia, a 50 ft, three years ago. I was sailing a fast 41ft monohull (Salona 41) and could compare the performances in light wind (5 to 7K) and can say that the Salona was way faster and pointed much better.

If we look at a Salona 41 Polar speed and compare it with the one of the 45, it shows that it will be faster too, at least with light and medium wind: The Salona is faster till 10K of wind and only with 15K we can see that the Neel 45 is faster doing at his best angle 10k while the Salona make about 9.5K. But even with that wind sped the Salona is faster at 45º and much faster more closer to the wind.

That's not bad for a boat with such a large cruising interior but then the Neel has 45ft and the Salona has 41ft. Two times faster than a cruising monohull? I don't think so at least if it is not a really old and heavy one.

Anyway, on the trade winds where the winds tend to be medium to strong and downwind the Neel 45 should be very fast and safe. A very good voyage fast boat if the voyage, as usual, is made along the trade winds.

Neel 45 Boat Review | Cruising World

Anyway an interesting and innovative design by Joubert-Nivelt giving consistency to an idea of Eric Bruneel (the builder) and under his general guidance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2013

On stability: waves - interesting movie.

Look at mim 8.06 to something I had said already here: Modern light boats with narrow fin keels or a foil with a torpedo with a good stability when hit sideways by a breaking wave are able to dissipate a substantial part of the wave energy transforming that in a sideaway movement.

An heavy full keeler would not be able to do that, it would trip on the keel and would transform almost all the wave energy in a rotating movement.

A centerboarder (with the board up) with a good stability would be able to dissipate even more energy that way, sliding even more sideways.

Regarding the use of sail to stabilize the boat in waves look at the small boat that enters at min 5.18. Coming downwind under full main maintaining the center of effort of the sail near the center of the boat, keeps the boat straight till turning sharply to the wind at the entrance and motors in with the sail on the wind. Nice and clean
EricKLYC likes this.

Old 10-27-2013

Comet 41s MkII - movie

I had already talked here about this new version with two wheels an integrated table in the cockpit and an integrated bowsprit. The boat on the video was side by side with mine in Fumicino and I had already posted some photos of it. It has also a torpedo keel and that allows it to have less 100kg of ballast and less drag.

The interior has no alterations.

EricKLYC likes this.

Old 10-27-2013

Quinn99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

woot
Old 10-28-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Painkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't understand what you mean.
Humour Paulo, just humour. Is there a portuguese word for that?
Pusser's: Dockside Bar in Annapolis, adjacent to Boat Show
Painkiller: 2 oz Pusser's® dark rum
1 oz cream of coconut
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
Shake or stir ingredients, and pour over ice in a tall glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top, and serve,
Level 3: triple rum

Excellent drink, by the way....
Old 10-28-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Humour Paulo, just humour. Is there a portuguese word for that?
Pusser's: Dockside Bar in Annapolis, adjacent to Boat Show
Painkiller: 2 oz Pusser's® dark rum
1 oz cream of coconut
4 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
Shake or stir ingredients, and pour over ice in a tall glass. Sprinkle nutmeg on top, and serve,
Level 3: triple rum

Excellent drink, by the way....
Lots of insider information to understand this one. Thanks for the enlightenment...
Old 10-28-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Lots of insider information to understand this one. Thanks for the enlightenment...
The Pusser's distributor from Key Largo showed up at the San Francisco YC in his touring van, several weeks ago, for the Melges 24 Worlds. He camped out next to the Coral Reef Sailing Gear tent and discretely served up all levels of Painkillers to interested parties. Needless to say, I was quite interested.

Turns out we'd met him in Key Largo at a Melges 24 regatta in 2007. Somehow those memories were rather fuzzy.

A comparable libation, which seems to be popular in New England, and which I first encountered at Block Island Race Week in 2011, is the Frozen Mudslide.

Frozen Mudslide Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Needless to say, this is a summer beverage, not suitable for winter consumption (particularly after a day of Laser frostbiting).

It's interesting how different drinks are associated with yacht racing. In San Francisco, SFYC is noted for its lethal Mai-Tai, while the St. Francis YC is celebrated for its Dark-and-Stormy (though I sailed with one skipper who liked to buy the crew a Ramos Fizz at St. Francis YC before heading out on the water to race). Needless to say, Mt. Gay Rum shows up at most regattas, and Mt. Gay-and-tonic (w/ lime) is my preferred regatta drink. I've paid for all those red caps many times over.
Old 10-28-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Archambault 35

I haven't been posting much lately as I've been on the road doing some racing. While I was in SF at the Melges 24 Worlds, I had the opportunity to meet the owner of a fairly new Archambault 35. He graciously invited me aboard and gave me the grand tour of his lovely boat, as well as the complete history.

The boat competed in the TransQuadra race, and was then put up for sale in Martinique upon arrival. The current owner flew down with two friends, bought the boat, then sailed it to Florida. It was then trucked across the U.S. to San Francisco and recommissioned.

Unfortunately, during the Richmond YC "Great Pumpkin Regatta", in October 2012, the boat was hit amidships by a Sydney 36 and suffered considerable structural damage. However, after consulting Jim Antrim and the KKMI boat yard, the decision was made to repair the boat, and the insurance company went along with it.

I can tell you, from first hand viewing, that the boat is immaculate. The only way you can tell that any repair work has been done is by the fact that the quality of the repair in several areas is better than the original factory finish in the same area on the other side of the boat.

And as to whether or not the boat's performance was affected, it won its class in the 2013 Rolex St. Francis YC Big Boat Regatta, sailed in typical SF Bay breezy conditions. So it seems that Jim Antrim and KKMI certainly knew what they were doing.

Anyway, all that aside, I was totally impressed with the boat's layout and its massive interior volume for a 35-footer. With tiller steering, the cockpit was luxurious, and suited to racing or simply lounging about with a glass of wine (which is what we were doing). It looked to me like it would be quite dry in open water sailing. Down below was equally spacious and filled with light. The absence of a formal bulkhead separating the forepeak from the rest of the cabin accentuated the sense of space, and you would never feel claustrophobic in this boat. Since it featured a symmetrical spinnaker set-up, there was no sprit box intruding the bow (though the owner indicated that he is considering adding a fixed dolphin nose and switching to A-sails for IRC).

The aft cabin, on the port side, is also roomy and well-ventilated. The heads is on the starboard side, which is basically a large storage / work space. Access to most systems can be had there, while overall engine access from both sides and the front (companionway lifts up) is excellent. I figured you could probably re-build the engine without removing it.

According to the owner, the only thing that is less-than-optimal is the galley layout, where Archambault decided to put two coolers, one to either side of the stove. Looking at the pictures of the galley on the updated A35, due in 2014, they've addressed this issue by removing the cooler on the left of the stove and shifting the stove aft alongside the bulkhead. This creates more countertop space and allows for a larger single cooler.

As noted, the finish quality everywhere on the boat was terrific, and you would never guess the boat had raced across the Atlantic, been trucked across the U.S., then spent nearly a year in the boat yard being structurally repaired.

Indeed, a very interesting boat, and on my short-list of potential performance cruisers I'll be taking a look at when the time comes, particularly when the 2014 model hits the water. Also fond of the A31, which would probably be my preferred choice if I didn't want to go offshore beyond the Caribbean.
PCP, bjung, EricKLYC and 1 others like this.