Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mini Transat

"The Race Director of the Mini Transat has decided to implement plan B, which had been mentioned before the start at the last competitor briefing. The fleet will now stop at the port of Sada, near La Coruna, to wait for the strong winds from the south-west that will sweep Cape Finisterre, on 1 and 2 November to moderate and go northwest. The fleet is expected to arrive in the area on the night of October 31 to November 1."

http://www.minitransat.fr/actualites...agnole?lang=en

This is crazy They are killing the mini transat. I cannot see anything seriously enough on the weather that leads to this decision. The Mini Transat is a race but also an adventure with controlled risks. They are followed by support boats and the racers have plenty of safety measures in case of a big accident.

I remember some years ago Lobato (a Portuguese) beating all protos with a series boat in high winds and big seas at the middle of the Ocean. It seems we will not see anything like this again. It seems that the Mini-Transat now it is a race like any other with a special emphasis on security. Goodbye adventure

By the way, an Italian is leading, but it seems to me that sadly that is not the main news right now

Départ de la Mini Transat - 29 octobre 2013, 09H19 by minitransat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
"The Race Director of the Mini Transat has decided to implement plan B, which had been mentioned before the start at the last competitor briefing. The fleet will now stop at the port of Sada, near La Coruna, to wait for the strong winds from the south-west that will sweep Cape Finisterre, on 1 and 2 November to moderate and go northwest. The fleet is expected to arrive in the area on the night of October 31 to November 1."

La pause espagnole | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŕ-Pitre

This is crazy They are killing the mini transat. I cannot see anything seriously enough on the weather that leads to this decision. The Mini Transat is a race but also an adventure with controlled risks. They are followed by support boats and the racers have plenty of safety measures in case of a big accident.

I remember some years ago Lobato (a Portuguese) beating all protos with a series boat in high winds and big seas at the middle of the Ocean. It seems we will not see anything like this again. It seems that the Mini-Transat now it is a race like any other with a special emphasis on security. Goodbye adventure

By the way, an Italian is leading, but it seems to me that sadly that is not the main news right now
I have to agree, to some extent, that I'm also not seeing the weather issues south of Finisterre that motivated the RC to route the fleet through Sada. While it's true the breeze is on the nose, it's only blowing around 16 knots, and the further west you go the lighter it gets. And once you get about half way down the coast of Portugal, the trades start to kick in all the way to the Canary Islands (where it's actually blowing quite hard - 18-29 knots - but from a good direction (NNE))

The only thing I can imagine is that the RC has access to more detailed forecasts which provide a different local picture in close proximity to Finisterre. A point of comparison might be the local conditions off Point Conception, on the California coast, where you effectively transition from the cooler Northern California weather to the warmer Southern California conditions. That's a place that can get very nasty, very quickly, in terms of both wind strength and sea state. One year we transited the area and ended up going downwind at 6 knots under no sails at all, for several hours. This was on a J/105 - that same evening another J/105 near us was dismasted.

On the other hand, as one French commenter pointed out, while the top Mini sailors are either professionals or aspiring professionals, there have always been a significant number of amateurs who are pursuing their own personal goals, often at considerable expense and sacrifice. So the Race Committee is choosing not to place them in a situation that could conceivably lead to unnecessary carnage - i.e., that point at which you're not racing anymore, just surviving. I tend to agree. And, besides, whether the race is 2 legs or 3 legs, it is still a true test of skill and endurance. But perhaps in future they might consider starting the race in Cascais.

Meanwhile, Pedote is demonstrating that 747's victory in the 2011 MT was no fluke. Though he trailed Gahinet initially, he took the lead and has extended to about 6 miles and should hold that into Sada, barring unforeseen circumstances. Conditions really favored the scow design - solid breeze just aft of the beam, and disturbed sea state. I bet it has been a wet ride for everyone involved. Go Jumbo!
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 10-30-2013

Stormy weather : Med and Atlantic.

Since we are talking about bad weather, let's just have a look at the differences between Med and Atlantic. It may come as handy to some . I have sailed some thousands of miles on the med and on the Atlantic I can tell you what any other sailor that have got some nasty weather on both will tell you: They are very different but equally dangerous. Bigger waves on the Atlantic but much shorter period and steeper seas on the Med.

A force seven is not much on the Atlatic and if you have a good and powerful boat you can even make some decent way upwind going up and down big waves. On the med it is a much wetter ride even if the waves are smaller and the speed upwind a lot smaller to the point that it is not worth it. The problem in the med is that the waves have a so short period that when the bow of the boat is down from a wave another can enter just over the bow and sweep the boat. That is very frequent and happened to me several times just this year.

If you don't know the med and go charter a boat there take notice: That's not the Atlantic and a Force 8 can be a lot nastier than a typical Atlantic F9. Have a look:

Med:

Atlantic:

Don't miss this one taken just some days ago:

Wetter: Im Orkan ? irre Bilder von Bord - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

Another typical med thing is very sudden storms due to the proximity of opposed big mass of lands, many of them mountainous. They can come from nowhere and hit you like an hammer. I have been hit by a big one with winds out of the scale and can tell you it is not agreeable. I saw the thing come on the radar like a big black monster

It happened to this guys also:

Downwind, even of it is a bit more agitated than on the Atlantic (specially if you are getting waves on the side of the stern) it is big fun and not too difficult till F8:

Med:

On the Atlantic downwind with F7/8 it is also not normally a problem but the waves are bigger, not so frequent. Some older designs can roll a lo and that can be dangerous.

Well, if this serves no purpose, at least you saw some great movies
JAndersB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-30-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I know it was a long time ago but, on the last video of Steinlager 2 - the helmsman was tethered to the lifelines with his harness. Need to find a lot better anchor point in those conditions.
Amazing they were even wearing inflatable life jackets along with tethers.
Old 10-30-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Anyone interested?

PS: Who of you will visit the BOOT 2014?
PCP and Edward3 like this.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
I know it was a long time ago but, on the last video of Steinlager 2 - the helmsman was tethered to the lifelines with his harness. Need to find a lot better anchor point in those conditions.
Amazing they were even wearing inflatable life jackets along with tethers.
I did not have noticed. That is so crazy that is funny

Regarding the lifejacket it is one of those that has an integrated harness. Maybe that's the only harness they had, the integrated one.

The first thing I had done to my boat was providing it with permanent jack lines, very discrete but very efficient textil lines, white ones, the color of the deck. Last year I sailed the boat without them and I felt quite naked

To be said that the only cruising brand that I know off that offers as option integrated Jack lines is Bavaria. All the others will purpose you those textile stripes that you will hook along the side deck and are not much better than to hook yourself on the lifeline since they allow it you to pass overboard.

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-30-2013

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road

In the Mini Transat the Prysmian 747, ex Team Work 747 is in first place again, but now saliling upwind in the middle of the Bay of Biscay!

Who said that the scow desing can't sail upwind fast?
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
In the Mini Transat the Prysmian 747, ex Team Work 747 is in first place again, but now saliling upwind in the middle of the Bay of Biscay!

Who said that the scow desing can't sail upwind fast?
Let's see for how much time. The boat can sail upwind fast without waves of significant height. I don't think it will be the case and in that case I believe that more "normal" boats will be faster.

But that will be very interesting to see, I mean if what I said is right or not. Anyway, for sure it is a hell lot less comfortable

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-30-2013

Pogo 3 and Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post

Anyone interested?
PS: Who of you will visit the BOOT 2014?
Yes, the little one is on the way and the big one too

Pogo 3:

Pogo 40 S3

Regarding the Boot, do you mean Dusseldorf? Only if I can't. I like the fair and I like the beer (do you know the old brewery in the center that makes it's own beer?).

Regards

Paulo

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
robelz (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013

Global Ocean Race 2014 -2015

It seems that it is on this edition that this circumnavigation race will become the classic it deserves to be...or maybe not. Almost a year for the start and they have already 9 entries...but they are just good amateurs not really professionals.

The best solo sailors on the 40class are out...still out. I hope some will come in because this race has a lot of potential and there are plenty of 40class racers around.

The promotion video is a nice one:

EricKLYC and MrPelicano like this.