Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Let's see for how much time. The boat can sail upwind fast without waves of significant height. I don't think it will be the case and in that case I believe that more "normal" boats will be faster.

But that will be very interesting to see, I mean if what I said is right or not. Anyway, for sure it is a hell lot less comfortable

Regards

Paulo
Comfortable and Mini 6.50 are not compatible concepts in any way!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Pogo 3 and Pogo 40 S3

Quote:
Regarding the Boot, do you mean Dusseldorf? Only if I can't. I like the fair and I like the beer (do you know the old brewery in the center that makes it's own beer?).

Regards

Paulo
Which one? Schumacher? Füchschen? Uerige? There are some newer and smaller ones that are pretty good, too. e.g. "Kürzer Alt"...

PS: I don't understand "only if I can't"...

Last edited by robelz; 10-31-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Boat show

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Which one? Schumacher? Füchschen? Uerige? There are some newer and smaller ones that are pretty good, too. e.g. "Kürzer Alt"...

PS: I don't understand "only if I can't"...
Hamburg is a good one but it is now.

Paris is also a good one. Life is complicated. We can't do always what we want

Dusseldorf is the best

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

Re: Boat show

Quote:
Hamburg is a good one but it is now.

Paris is also a good one. Life is complicated. We can't do always what we want

Dusseldorf is the best

Regards

Paulo
I am going to visit Düsseldorf in 2014 (it is only 10km from home). So if someone here is going to come, give me a sign. There is always time for coffee and smalltalk - and even more time for some beer...
Old 10-31-2013

Mini Transat

That's amazing. In fact the bath tube bow boat continues to lead and managed not to lose distance during the night in conditions that apparently would not suit that boat. Great sailing also by his skipper, Giancarlo that has won a bit over all other boats. I bet nobody slept last night

That is also amazing the speed and angle that those fat little boats can do close upwind with waves in what is the point of sail they perform the worst. They are doing over 5K and some top boats over 6K with an angle just a bit worse than 45º true.

Conditions should not be easy out there, that's a place where you don't want to sail upwind with 16K of wind (almost 20 apparent). Steep waves and confused seas. That was a tough night and it will be a though day.

Some great pictures here:

Photos première étape en mer | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre

I hope they get us a nice movie from their Galicia arrival. They are all pretty close.

Now we can see why the race direction wanted to neutralize the race in Galicia:In 24 hours a front will pass there with 33k winds and that means gusting 40 or 50K. Shitty weather in Europe. Big storms swept England and Germany and they say that the other big Transat will start with 25/30K upwind winds.

Well, too bad for them but I hope that can give us some fantastic images

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
I know it was a long time ago but, on the last video of Steinlager 2 - the helmsman was tethered to the lifelines with his harness. Need to find a lot better anchor point in those conditions.
Amazing they were even wearing inflatable life jackets along with tethers.
I noticed that too, but then realized that they were in the midst of a helmsman change. The helmsman coming off the wheel was temporarily clipped to the lifeline while the new helmsman clipped in to a fixed pad-eye. You'll notice a bit later that the old helmsman clips in somewhere on the deck behind the wheel, as the new helmsman is driving.

It occurred to me that these guys are professionals and probably wouldn't take big risks in those conditions. The short amount of time spent clipped to the lifeline was no doubt deemed acceptable risk to enable the new driver to get clipped in to the fixed point, since he doesn't have the relative safety of holding on to the wheel.

My 2 cents.
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 10-31-2013

Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
That's amazing. In fact the bath tube bow boat continues to lead and managed not to lose distance during the night in conditions that apparently would not suit that boat. Great sailing also by his skipper, Giancarlo that has won a bit over all other boats. I bet nobody slept last night

That is also amazing the speed and angle that those fat little boats can do close upwind with waves in what is the point of sail they perform the worst. They are doing over 5K and some top boats over 6K with an angle just a bit worse than 45º true.

Conditions should not be easy out there, that's a place where you don't want to sail upwind with 16K of wind (almost 20 apparent). Steep waves and confused seas. That was a tough night and it will be a though day.

Some great pictures here:

Photos première étape en mer | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre

I hope they get us a nice movie from their Galicia arrival. They are all pretty close.

Now we can see why the race direction wanted to neutralize the race in Galicia:In 24 hours a front will pass there with 33k winds and that means gusting 40 or 50K. Shitty weather in Europe. Big storms swept England and Germany and they say that the other big Transat will start with 25/30K upwind winds.

Well, too bad for them but I hope that can give us some fantastic images

Glad I read ahead before responding to your earlier comment on 747. Not only did Pedote not lose distance over his competitors, he actually extended his 6 mile lead to over 11 miles, with less than 50 miles to the finish. While it is true that upwind in the scow is not optimal, compared to the earlier part of the leg where everyone was power reaching, in confused seas it may still have an advantage by not burying the bow in waves quite as much - i.e., the same advantage it has reaching in waves (the famous 6.50 practice video we saw earlier this year showed the advantage quite clearly).

Structures is probably taking the right path with the new Pogo 3, which does feature a fuller bow section but doesn't go full-scow. Still too many potential buyers put off by the less-than-elegant appearance of 747. But I predict that if Pedote wins the whole thing, the top guys will all be building scow designs for 2015.
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
But I predict that if Pedote wins the whole thing, the top guys will all be building scow designs for 2015.
I wondered why no one did for 2013!?
Old 10-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I wondered why no one did for 2013!?
In case Raison's victory in 2011 was just luck.

Seriously, though, most people don't like how the boat looks and, given that predisposition, they were probably able to convince themselves that it was Raison's superior skills that gave him the victory, more than the boat design. Remember that he didn't win Leg 1 in 2011, but did dominate Leg 2. So probably not quite enough evidence to convince the skeptical that the scow is a superior design for the MT. That's my guess.

But if Pedote wins, then the top guys are going to realize it wasn't a fluke and the design is optimal for that race. Raison will then be able to have a very big smile indeed.
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 10-31-2013

David Raison and Mini Transat

Quote:
... Raison will then be able to have a very big smile indeed.
He certainly deserves that. He had not many work propositions for designing new boats even if he had to sail his boat himself to victory to prove that he was an innovative talented NA and not a lunatic.

The only command was for an odd aluminium cruising mini, an interesting concept but with a very marginal public target. If he associates himself with a prime interior designer they can make an incredible cruising 35ft. That hull is not only good in what regard sail power but also in interior space. Probably the best size would be a 35ft that will have the interior space of same 40fts.

Sure, it would be an uncomfortable offshore boat (upwind with waves) but most sail only coastal and many on semi protected waters and there it will make all the sense. No, about the looks...I guess that it will take time and also a innovative cabin design to make it desirable. Some victories and the spread of the concept to other racing classes will contribute to that also.

Arrivée de David Raison à Madère sur son 747... por davidraisonweb

http://www.davidraison.com/

Quote:

....in confused seas it may still have an advantage by not burying the bow in waves quite as much ...
I think you have a point here. I was scratching my head thinking how it would be possible but having a better look at the race photos and the sea condition they are getting I think you are right.

If they get considerable sized waves on the bow I think he is going to lose time to the others.

A very interesting tour on Giancarlo boat (747):

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-31-2013 at 11:39 AM.