Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I hope they are right, it would be the right choice for a more sportive sailing...but they say nothing about it on the Elan website nor on the boat file. Odd

http://www.elan-yachts.com/img/yacht...ss_release.pdf

Regards

Paulo
Second page in this document (deck plan): tiller optional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Second page in this document (deck plan): tiller optional
Yes you are right, they make a reference only in the drawing, they don't say nothing on the description. I guess that the tiller will not sell boats, at least many

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

"En Solitaire"

En Solitaire - Bande-annonce officielle by EnSolitaire

That's a movie and it seems to be an interesting one:

Yann Madec, long-time best mate of Frank Drevil, the star skipper of Global System Insurance, sees his dream come true when he replaces the injured Frank at the last minute for the start of the Vendée Globe. Nine days into the race and leading, Yann is forced to stop in Cape Verde to repair his broken center-board. Back in the race, Yann discovers a stowaway on board, a Senegalese teenager named Moussa. Faced with the risk of disqualification because of Moussa’s presence, Yann hesitates… Their encounter leads to the most unforgettable round-the-world race ever.

En solitaire (2013) directed by Christophe Offenstein ? Film + cast ? Letterboxd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It seems that it is not with me. Your video is blocked due to lack of copyright on the music.

Regards

Paulo
It is not a video, just a link to the magazine web page where they show a picture and write that the test is coming up soon (and in next issue of the free magazine).

Segling | Segling News | Search Magazine

Anders
Old 11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
It is not a video, just a link to the magazine web page where they show a picture and write that the test is coming up soon (and in next issue of the free magazine).

Segling | Segling News | Search Magazine

Anders
Yes Anders, but the movie is hosted by the magazine on you tube :

When I click on the video (on the magazine) it appears a message saying that it is blocked due to lack copyright.

Guys, I am the only one that cannot see that video? I doubt it.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-01-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Same for me...
Old 11-01-2013

Mini Transat

As I was expecting on the Mini Transat the 5 leading boats made it safely to Sada. The situation of neutralizing the race without a classification seems unacceptable to me. As in other races could be neutralized at a certain arbitrary point (as it happened recently with a Open60 race) and the classifications and times being the ones there. To the ones that did not manage to pass there at a given hour would be given the same time of the last that had made it.

They had at least 12 hours to find a solution. This race will be a black one on the Mini Transat history and shows that the organization is not at the level of the race.

Old 11-01-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: "En Solitaire"

Quote:

En Solitaire - Bande-annonce officielle by EnSolitaire

That's a movie and it seems to be an interesting one:

Yann Madec, long-time best mate of Frank Drevil, the star skipper of Global System Insurance, sees his dream come true when he replaces the injured Frank at the last minute for the start of the Vendée Globe. Nine days into the race and leading, Yann is forced to stop in Cape Verde to repair his broken center-board. Back in the race, Yann discovers a stowaway on board, a Senegalese teenager named Moussa. Faced with the risk of disqualification because of Moussa’s presence, Yann hesitates… Their encounter leads to the most unforgettable round-the-world race ever.

En solitaire (2013) directed by Christophe Offenstein ? Film + cast ? Letterboxd
So much of the storyline is absurd but I never get tired of seeing IMOCA 60 footage, particularly when it's well produced. If you look at the vast majority of commercial films that feature sailing, the underlying assumption of the producers is that the sailing part will never be enough to interest a mass audience, so you must have some additional plot - often ridiculous - that typically has nothing to do with sailing.

In the case of "En Solitaire", it is highly unlikely that a top IMOCA program would substitute in a replacement skipper for their "star" at the last minute - the training and preparation that go into the Vendee make it nearly impossible to simply drop one skipper into another skipper's boat - unless you were substituting MichDes for just about anyone. And even then, Le Professeur would probably not do such a thing precisely because he is such a professional and would fully comprehend the problems of such an action.

Similarly, there are quite a few cases of Vendee skippers having "guests" aboard their boats, often for long stretches of the race. Obviously not "stowaways" like in "En Solitaire" but fellow sailors rescued from their boats in the Southern Ocean and carried all the way to the finish. Indeed, the movie that really needs to be made is of Peter Goss' miraculous rescue of Raphael Dinelli from his overturned boat in a full gale. I confess that reading Goss' account in his book brought tears to my eyes. Goss carried Dinelli the rest of the way around the world to finish the race. (Note: These days Dinelli is roaring about the world setting records in his "Maserati", a very beautiful boat.)

Now, I'm hoping the new Robert Redford film might be different, in this respect, because it focuses precisely on one of the biggest fears / risks facing offshore sailors - collision at sea and having to abandon your boat. From what I've read, the film focuses on the psychology and emotions of that experience, which sounds like a good thing.

Anyway, I will probably rent "En Solitaire" on DVD just for the sailing footage, and maybe the story will not be too laughable. And hopefully lots of real sailors got some employment during the filming.
Old 11-01-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
As I was expecting on the Mini Transat the 5 leading boats made it safely to Sada. The situation of neutralizing the race without a classification seems unacceptable to me. As in other races could be neutralized at a certain arbitrary point (as it happened recently with a Open60 race) and the classifications and times being the ones there. To the ones that did not manage to pass there at a given hour would be given the same time of the last that had made it.

They had at least 12 hours to find a solution. This race will be a black one on the Mini Transat history and shows that the organization is not at the level of the race.
An even better example is the Tour de France (bicycle version) where entire groups of riders are given the same time when they finish "overlapped" in the peloton or if there is a serious collision near the finish which impedes other riders' progress.

So you are right, I think, that this was not well-conceived or executed by the MT authorities. However, they have the opportunity to fix things if they can find a way to get Craig Horsefield and several other competitors who had to abandon back in the race. Admittedly, I've heard that Craig was at fault in his collision, but I'd still like to see him back in the race, perhaps with a time penalty for the accident.

Also, one would hope they will learn valuable lessons for future races from this experience. And not just the MT but other major offshore events. I say this because I fear that these kinds of weather patterns may become the "new normal" (as we say in NA) and necessitate adjustments to how races have been run historically. Thinking particularly of the Sydney-Hobart Race (among others), which is already a dangerous event, even without changing weather patterns.
Old 11-01-2013

Transat Jaques Fabre

I hope this one will start better. They will also start with strong winds and even if the boats are bigger and safer I would not like to go on a Multi 50 trimaran against 35/40K winds not even as a passenger.

The race will start in two days and it is a really one of the biggest with almost all the best solo racers there and the fastest solo or short crew racing boats (duo race).

Some movies to see what I am talking about:

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 - 20ème anniversaire by TransatJacquesVabre

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 - Présentation MOD 70 by TransatJacquesVabre

Présentation IMOCA - Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 by TransatJacquesVabre

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 - Présentation Multi 50 by TransatJacquesVabre

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 - Présentation Class40 by TransatJacquesVabre

ENG - MOD 70 : A duel on the Atlantic - Transat... by TransatJacquesVabre

ENG - IMOCA Monohull Class - Transat Jacques... by TransatJacquesVabre

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.