Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010

bb74 is on a distinguished road
PCP, you're right. My point is that downwind you're going to be seeing a lot of cordage sweeping across the cockpit. At the tiller you have the main sheet behind you which is tricky to manage even if it does bring you closer to the genoa winches for single handing. I'd have to see in real life how it works but I would have preferred a more recessed main traveler to creat a bit more breathing room from the tiller and crew on gybes.

Could be a good setup for double handing - someone behind the main traveler taking care of the main and the tiller / genoa/asym by the same person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Rm 1350

Yes they have a new 13.50.

That's a really big and fast boat. The boat has won, recently, on the Italian boat magazine "Vela", a boat test to chose the best fast cruiser.

The boat was test sailed and compared with the: Vismara 44, Salona 44, Dufour 45, First 45, Elan 450, Grand Soleil 46 and Hanse 47.

As you know Fora Marin is a small manufacturer and the RM 1350 was compared to boats from big manufacturers (that give a lot more publicity to the magazine), some of them Italian, with new and very good boats (Vismara 44 and Grand Soleil 46). They really have to love the RM to have considered it the best

The basic price of the boat is around 280 000 euros, but for a well equipped boat you will spend 360 000 euros.

Are you sure that the 1200 is not big enough for you? The boat seems bigger than its size, has big tankage and a very good interior (That's my wife's preferred boat). That's the one I am interested in

RM YACHTS | RM 1350

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2010

Rm 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Absolutely Gorgeous!
12m more than enough boat for me, but not for the Admiral.
Anyway, recent financial set backs mean they're all out of my financial reach anyway.
Nemier,

The RM 1200 is not a regular 40fter. I and my wife are looking for a 42, 44ft boat. At least it is what she wants. But the boat she likes most (the interior) is the RM 1200 and she will be happy with one.

If you put your wife inside one of these, I doubt she would not be satisfied. The notion of space is great, with a lot of outside views.

Take a look at the interior:

Visite 360°

RM YACHTS | RM 1200

And you know, with a smaller boat there are a lot of smaller bills

You can have one from 2003/4 for around 220 000 euros. I know that it is expensive for a 6 year old boat, but they have a very high resale value and there are more sailors looking for one than boats available . They normally come with a very high standard of equipment (ocean ready).

Come to the next Paris boat show, and we can have a beer.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2010

RM 1200, JPK 110, Opium 39

I have been in France to test and see some sailboats.

I have sail tested the Opium 39, the RM1200 and I have been in the JPK shipyard, to see the JPK 110 and to have a talk with the builder (that is also a solo racer).

Wauquiez - Les Bateaux Lumière

RM YACHTS | RM 1200

JPK

I was impressed with the Opium 39 speed, not so much with the RM1200 (but my wife loved the boat) and very impressed with the JPK 110.

The boat is all infusion built and the builder really knows what he is doing. As I have said, as a solo sailor he is very experienced (won with one of its boats the Transquadra) and so, he really knows how to adapt the boat to solo sailing. He also will be glad to adapt the boat to my cruising needs. He had already done that sucessfully to some costumers that are very happy with their boats.

The boat is a 37ft and has the speed potential of regular 40ft cruiser-racer and costs 70000 euros less than the Opium 39. It is also a very safe boat and I believe, a comfortable boat, especially adapted to go upwind.

I am very interested by this one. I will test sail it, when there is a boat available and I will design some interior mods, to see if they are feasible. My wife wants more water (all the water works as ballast and can be moved from one side to the other) and I believe that there is space for more 180 L (90 on each side). No water (at least 300 L), no boat

For the next six moths I will have a lot of work ahead, so I will not post frequentlly, but if any of you wish to know more about any of these boats I will try to find time.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-17-2010

Opium 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I'm thinking the Opium, at least then, if you are stuck in the middle of now where, no wind, you can smoke part of the boat for a buzz!:laug her
Marty,
Actually I find the Opium 39 a good looking boat.

About the boat and its speed potential I think you would like to read this boat test:

http://www.wauquiez.com/presse/opium...NV-2010-FR.pdf

The Translation is really bad. This is the translation of a test by the Doitch magazine "Yacht". "Yacht" is in my opinion probably the best sailing boat magazine (and I know a lot of them) and they don't like particularly French boats. They normally like X-Yacht, Arcona, Luffe, Finngulf, Swan and the like. I believe that I never heard them say so well about a French boat.

Look at the wind speed and the boat speed. I have sailed the same boat (the one in the photo) with about the same wind and I can tell you that those numbers are for real. The boat sails not far away from wind speed.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2010

Jpk 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

You are correct, that is a COOL looking boat. will check that out some more.

marty
I agree, but this one is even cooler (JPK 110).

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2010

Allures 45

Hey Guys, take a look at this boat, it is a beautiful one. Look also at the very nice interior (amenagements):

Allures 45 - Allures Yachting

This is not an especially fast boat. It is a pure long range cruising boat, the kind the French prefer: An aluminum Centerboarder.

The Allures 44 was already, probably, the best midsized aluminum, center boarder. It was not ugly, but this one, the new 45, is a beauty….. and should be a relatively fast cruising boat. Probably one of the fastest among this kind of boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2010
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
Wow....

Ok, I've been away from the forums for a while and just recently stumbled on this thread and am absolutely stunned at what's available in terms of these smaller yards.

Being in Canada, my knowledge of the European boats is fairly limited to the big names and to be honest, I hadn't even considered any of the "Racer/Cruisers" until I got a look at the POGO 12.50. WOW !! My jaw dropped !!

I curse you...I mean I was all happy day dreaming about a new HR 37 or 43 but now I've got POGO, Opium & JPK on my mind...Trying to figure out a way to sell the idea of a go-fast boat with a minimalist interior as being better for our sailing plans. Maybe I can highlight the lower maintenance costs & time due to less varnished wood. Quicker trips between destinations with cold beer. Less cooking cause we can't carry as much fresh produce.

Seriously though, this has opened up a whole new avenue of thought for me. Thanks for the introduction.

SRW
Old 07-15-2010

Olea 44

Glad to share.

If you have the money for an Halberg Rassy, perhaps you can dream with the Oléa 44 (it is not as expensive as a HS) and has better interiors compared with the Pogo. This boat made recently quite an impact in France and put a lot of guys dreaming with distant shores and really fast cruising. This one is quite an animal

It is a Pierre Rolland design and, like the Pogo 12.50 is a civilized class 40.

http://www.olea-composite.com/Downlo...umentation.pdf

www.rolland-archi.com

Voiles et Voiliers : Croisière - Olea 44 (Olea Composite/Pierre Rolland)

Voiles et Voiliers : Chantier - Les nouveautés du Grand Pavois 2009 : Oléa 44, la grande croisière en biquille

Regards

paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2010
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Glad to share.

If you have the money for an Halberg Rassy, perhaps you can dream with the Oléa 44 (it is not as expensive as a HS) and has better interiors compared with the Pogo.
Well, that's the thing. At first glance I thought that the POGO's interior was spartan and bare but then I had a second look at the photos on their website. After a while I grew fond of it. I imagine that the interior would be simple to maintain and clean (sponge & water). The white bulkheads and flooring look nice with the few wooden accents and the interior looks very functional (reminiscent of Japanese architecture). Plus in the heat of the tropics, I imagine that the white would have a "cooling" effect both physically and psychologically.

My one concern with the overall interior of any of the Racer/Cruisers is the apparent lack of insulation on the hull and the headliner on the cabin top. This would likely have an impact on regulating the interior temperature (hot or cold) and would not absorb any of the hull noise underway.

Now if only I could reassure myself that these types of vessels are indeed safe and comfortable enough for live aboard cruising. I've got numerous questions & concerns that have arisen when considering one of these.
1. Steerage at low speed because of the smaller rudder size
2. The obvious limitations on both water and fuel tankage
3. Load carrying capacity, especially in light of their light displacement
4. Provision for anchoring (a locker, spare anchor, windlass, can you carry chain ?)
5. Bimini, I need some kind of sun protection in the cockpit ?
6. Dodger, or do I live in foul weather gear on passage ?
7. Storage for a dinghy & outboard ?

Well, these are questions that I just posed to POGO in an email today and we'll see what they respond with. Maybe I'm being too North American and demanding too much. I mean I love the idea of these vessels, the speed and fun that they would be. I don't mind the "simple" accommodations and in fact almost welcome them. I like the lines and particularly like the idea of the swing keel which would be handy for beaching or at least getting closer to shore but the questions above have me wondering.

SRW

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.