Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Spedream

This also makes no sense to me.

Why all that expensive carbon if the idea is to go submarine in a seaway or capsize in a gust anyway ?

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 11-08-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Jaques Fabre

In this beginning of the Transat I was surprised by the performance of the 40class boats, The Leaders leaved several Open60 and Multi 50 behind...before having to take shelter in Roscoff. Again I do not understand very well the race committee. The decision was made because the class 40 had not the speed to pas safely before some strong winds that will come in 24h and obviously the committee thinks they cannot make it in safety.

What I do not understand is if the 40class racer cannot do it safely those 2 multi 50 that were behind most 40 class racers can? Regarding strong winds I certainly would prefer to take my chances on a 40class racer than on a multi 50 specially if they are racing.

The 40 class race is stopped again, This time they will wait in Roscoff till the front passes.

"Leading the Transat Jacques Vabre Class 40 fleet in to their weather stop at Bloscon, Roscoff Sébastien Rogues and Fabien Delahaye on GDF SUEZ crossed the line there in first place at 14h45m 25s (local CET) to earn themselves a margin of 19 minutes and 39 seconds when they restart to Itajaí.

Spain’s Alex Pella and Pablo Saturde on the new Botin designed Tales Santander 2014 rose from fifth in the early morning to take second place, gaining in the reaching conditions in to the finish line, whilst the German flagged Mare of Jorg Riechers and Pierre Brasseur crossed third 4 mins and 27 seconds behind the Spanish pair."

A surprise the 2th place, of the Spanish team. Nice

They beat two heavy weight, Jörg Riechers/Pierre Brasseur that come in 3th.

The Ker 40class racer made only 15th:

"In 15th place Britons Sam Goodchild and Ned Collier Wakefield were taking some time to get to know their new boat, finding their straight line speed good but they felt they struggled more on the corners and transitions:
“We are glad to have got here, it is a learning process as much as a race for us and doing things in the middle of the night is not the best way to learn, but we are OK. We are not too upset where we finished, we were in the mix but made a couple of mistakes and did get stopped at the start under a cloud, but it is all OK. We got stopped a little off Guernsey but we are happy with how the boat is going.”

Let's wait a bit more to see if that boat is a match or not.

Regarding the others, it is going to be a hard night and a worst morning: Take a look at the weather:

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013

The boats are already getting 25K and the worst is coming on the Biscay bay were the waves and the sea are very problematic with strong winds. They all should got 50k gusts. Not agreable. I wish the best of luck to all, specially to the crews on Multi 50. After all it seems they are not going to make it fast enough to escape and are going to take the worst of it.

I have the biggest consideration regarding those sailors. The Multi 50 are the most difficult boats to sail and with two and bad weather they require constant attention.

The Open 60's they are finally at speed and are going to speed even more. I believe that in those bad conditions they are going to gain on the multi 50. Big balls anyway to keep on speeding on these conditions. Interesting to see who is going to be the fastest on the bad weather, where having the fastest boat make not much difference.

The star team is leading (Gabart/Desjoyeaux), Riou/Le cam are second and Marc/Pascal, that have been 2th are now in 5th. I wonder if they have already a problem in the boat. They are sailing slowly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Transat Jaques Fabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
In this beginning of the Transat I was surprised by the performance of the 40class boats, The Leaders leaved several Open60 and Multi 50 behind...before having to take shelter in Roscoff. Again I do not understand very well the race committee. The decision was made because the class 40 had not the speed to pas safely before some strong winds that will come in 24h and obviously the committee thinks they cannot make it in safety.

What I do not understand is if the 40class racer cannot do it safely those 2 multi 50 that were behind most 40 class racers can? Regarding strong winds I certainly would prefer to take my chances on a 40class racer than on a multi 50 specially if they are racing.

The 40 class race is stopped again, This time they will wait in Roscoff till the front passes.

"Leading the Transat Jacques Vabre Class 40 fleet in to their weather stop at Bloscon, Roscoff Sébastien Rogues and Fabien Delahaye on GDF SUEZ crossed the line there in first place at 14h45m 25s (local CET) to earn themselves a margin of 19 minutes and 39 seconds when they restart to Itajaí.

Spain’s Alex Pella and Pablo Saturde on the new Botin designed Tales Santander 2014 rose from fifth in the early morning to take second place, gaining in the reaching conditions in to the finish line, whilst the German flagged Mare of Jorg Riechers and Pierre Brasseur crossed third 4 mins and 27 seconds behind the Spanish pair."

A surprise the 2th place, of the Spanish team. Nice

They beat two heavy weight, Jörg Riechers/Pierre Brasseur that come in 3th.

The Ker 40class racer made only 15th:

"In 15th place Britons Sam Goodchild and Ned Collier Wakefield were taking some time to get to know their new boat, finding their straight line speed good but they felt they struggled more on the corners and transitions:
“We are glad to have got here, it is a learning process as much as a race for us and doing things in the middle of the night is not the best way to learn, but we are OK. We are not too upset where we finished, we were in the mix but made a couple of mistakes and did get stopped at the start under a cloud, but it is all OK. We got stopped a little off Guernsey but we are happy with how the boat is going.”

Let's wait a bit more to see if that boat is a match or not.

Regarding the others, it is going to be a hard night and a worst morning: Take a look at the weather:

The boats are already getting 25K and the worst is coming on the Biscay bay were the waves and the sea are very problematic with strong winds. They all should got 50k gusts. Not agreable. I wish the best of luck to all, specially to the crews on Multi 50. After all it seems they are not going to make it fast enough to escape and are going to take the worst of it.

I have the biggest consideration regarding those sailors. The Multi 50 are the most difficult boats to sail and with two and bad weather they require constant attention.

The Open 60's they are finally at speed and are going to speed even more. I believe that in those bad conditions they are going to gain on the multi 50. Big balls anyway to keep on speeding on these conditions. Interesting to see who is going to be the fastest on the bad weather, where having the fastest boat make not much difference.

The star team is leading (Gabart/Desjoyeaux), Riou/Le cam are second and Marc/Pascal, that have been 2th are now in 5th. I wonder if they have already a problem in the boat. They are sailing slowly.
I seem to recall that I had Gabart/Desjoyeaux and Riou/Le Cam as my #1 and #2 picks a few days ago. You were liking Safran and Maitre Coq. And I qualified my picks by saying that if Stamm could get his Juan K-designed boat to start performing, he would be up in the mix, as well (he is currently sitting in third place). Excuse me while I go buy a lottery ticket and bet on some horse racing.
Old 11-08-2013

Re: Transat Jaques Fabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
I seem to recall that I had Gabart/Desjoyeaux and Riou/Le Cam as my #1 and #2 picks a few days ago. You were liking Safran and Maitre Coq. And I qualified my picks by saying that if Stamm could get his Juan K-designed boat to start performing, he would be up in the mix, as well (he is currently sitting in third place). Excuse me while I go buy a lottery ticket and bet on some horse racing.
No, I have agreed with you and joined Safran and Marc/Pascal to the favorites. I still think that if Marc/Pascal have not a problem they are serious contenders for the victory but he went out from 2th to 5th and he is going slowly so I think something is wrong. Do you thinh he lost the titanium keel...again

They are the favorites anyway. You would not have won much with that bet, but betting on that Spanish team on the 40class for the podium...there you would have won a lot of money

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2013

Dufour 410 GL

I have posted recently about the Dufour 410 GL, the one that is in my opinion the most beautiful mass market main market cruiser. Felci that is known to design very nice boats has made a great design.

For the ones that are interested in a 40ft it would be interesting to read the test made by Yacht.de, always a reference in what regards seriousness and quality. It can be downloaded on line (2€).

Even without reading the test we can enjoy the movie. We can see that the boat sails very well with light winds, even without a geenaker and can see that there is a lot of bright and interesting ideas on that boat in what regards storage, space and comfort. Nice

Movie:

Neue Tourenyacht Dufour 410 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

Last edited by PCP; 11-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2013

Transat Jaques Fabre - Incredile images

They are just starting to get some bad weather, much worst is ahead. Just look at this images of one of the Mod70. It is incredible what these boats can take without breaking as it is impressive what those 2 solo sailors can take: Can you imagine sleeping, eating or even pissing with that motion?

Old 11-09-2013

DiasDePlaya is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I'm sure they never sleep, eat nor piss!
Old 11-09-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up J122 "e"

Look!, now they can do interiors as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-j122e.jpg  
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 11-09-2013

Transat Jaques Fabre

Really bad out there!. +30K with 40K gusts on one of the worst and more dangerous places to have strong winds: The Biscay.

The two mod 70 after that mad cavalcade during a good part of the night are out of the bad weather. They managed not to broke the boats and are out of Biscay.

All the others are still battling sea conditions. As I had previewed that the Open60 on those conditions would close on the Multi 50 and the duo wonder eat them all and is way ahead of everybody. To give an idea of the conditions it is enough to say that with 30k wind the Open 60 are only making 10k. With the power those boats have you can imagine the pounding they are suffering.

Those two (Gabart/Dejoieux) seem to be untouchable. All other boats have a top sailor and a very good sailor. Macif is the only one with not only two top sailors (and probably the best)as it is one if not the fastest Open 60 on the race. It is not fair

I have said also that these conditions took away some of the advantage of the fastest boats creating more equal conditions and we can see some of the slower boats with a fantastic performance: That's the case with Alessandro de Benedetto that with the older boat (1998) and without canting keel is making a great race and leaving well behind more modern boats like Energa (2007) or Tanguy de la Motte (also with a 1998 boat). That guy deserves a more modern boat.

Last edited by PCP; 11-09-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2013

Re: J122 "e"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Look!, now they can do interiors as well!
Yes you are right. And that interior in teak would be even more beautiful. A modern interior that makes the J122 even more desirable as a performance cruiser. A lot more light on that interior now.

One of the best if not the best in what regards racing/cruising. A favorite of mine and a great boat. Pity that they had not took the chance to offer a two wheel set up: that would make the boat better for cruising and most of all better for solo sailing.

On the outside the boat looks even better now.

Regards

Paulo