Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
J122e / Bluejacket 40

Let's take the opportunity to look at both boats. I will not be analyzing them since it is obvious that the J122 is a much faster boat and while on the Bluejacket publicity they advertise the boat as a dual boat it it clear that we are not talking about the same races.

The J122 can be a winner anywhere in almost any race, the Bluejacket is more for club racing, or as Americans call it bear can races, that are much more popular in the states than in Europe.

Many bad things have been said about the Bluejacket in the Sailnet, but I like the hull and even if the rigging is not adapted (at all) for racing or performance cruising, I am sure that it will be a fast cruising boat that can even be considered, mainly by american standards, a performance cruiser.

Take a look at the very nice Bluejacket hull:

Blue Jacket 40 360° View | BlueJacketYachts.com

Happily they seemed to have changed their approach in advertising the boat assuming a much more realistic approach. Initially they have said about the Bluejacket 40:

Delivering a unique combination of exhilarating performance, luxurious accommodations and exceptional quality, the Blue Jacket provides a delightful environment for family vacations and overnight getaways combined with race-winning capability.

Blue Jacket 40 (BJ40) Performance Sailing Yacht | BlueJacketYachts.com

to a more modest (and correct) approach in what regards racing ability:

"The hull form and appendages of the Blue Jacket are designed to work in harmony with the sailplan to provide performance that extends daily sailing range and the potential to generate more race trophies....

The design challenge presented was to create a yacht with a performance pedigree, one that could compete effectively in around-the-buoy and offshore races yet provide a level of comfort, build quality and ease of use that would gratify the entire family. "

Blue Jacket 40 Yacht Design Comments by Tim Jackett | BlueJacketYachts.com

Nobody is talking anymore about winning races but to compete effectively and about winning trophies. That is better.

The J122 is advertised:

"The J122 no longer needs an introduction. It's a boat that has proven its worth in terms of fast cruising and boasts a series of fine race victories. Its seaworthiness remains unsurpassed, but it seemed important for us to adapt the J122 to the current climate. It's been a tough mission as it's not easy to alter the style of an existing boat. The hull, the deck and the structure are identical. For the rest, together with the Roséo firm, who are renowned designers in the watersports industry, we've given the J122 a thorough review inside and out. ..The J122 E is quite simply more modern and is sure to correspond with the needs of an ever more demanding clientele.

There are several J 122 versions that can suit either the most cruising program or the most regatta program.

The J 122 is a cruising sailboat in which you can expect to find the comfort worthy of the biggest units while it's offering on the deck the most advanced and suitable material for an intensive use.
Many options are available, for the cruising lovers: teak deck, extra water tank, and hood; for the regatta lovers: high modulus carbon mast, boom and carbon steering wheel.
Despite its regattas results, the J 122 remains an easy maneuverable sailboat when crew is reduced thanks to its stability and simplicity."

I would say that both descriptions are now reasonably accurate.

The J122 and the Bluejacket are not pointed to the same market. While the Bluejacket 40 is pointed to what in Europe we call the Luxury market and points to main market cruisers that want a faster boat, the J122 points clearly to performance cruising and racing, enlarging with this interior and the cruising options the scope of cruisers that will look at this boat as a cruising option: experienced sailors that like to cruise fast, like to have a lot of fun sailing and hate to be overtaken. I know of some that fit on this category

Even if the J122 is designed by an American NA, following a long tradition on that type of hulls, it is also as a performance cruising boat much more an European performance cruiser with the interior designed by a very good French interior designer.

Two different concepts in what regards the interior, the american one with lot's of heavy wood everywhere, a very traditional look and much less interior light, the European one light, modern and with lots of light.

I like the Bluejacket interior (even if not for me) but there are two items that are out of place; The stairs, that, under a design and integration point of view, are incredibly bad and the table, Island Packet style. that can work on Island Packets and be a trade mark but here it is just odd and not nicely integrated. Have a look:

BJ40 360° Tour

Some recent movies with the Bluejacket 40:

There is not yet any with the new version of the J122 but we can have a look at one with the previous version that has the same sailing performances. Here one competing in a top race last year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I think that might be the first time I've seen a 'J' with teak decks.. I gather that's the Euro built model? Looks pretty nice, alright..

J boats have always been instantly 'recognizable'.. this one is departing from that, esp if the sprit pod, logo, and transom are out of view..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think that might be the first time I've seen a 'J' with teak decks.. I gather that's the Euro built model? Looks pretty nice, alright..

J boats have always been instantly 'recognizable'.. this one is departing from that, esp if the sprit pod, logo, and transom are out of view..
I don't think the J122 is built in the states. The boat is built by Jcomposites in France, at least the first ones were and certainly almost all are since they are sold almost all in Europe. Some Europeans like teak decks, specially in cruising boats

J/122 Articles & Reviews

J Composite - Home - J Boats - J Composites

The J122 would have not any change to have survived as a performance cruiser with a relatively good interior in the states. That market is almost non existent there and most of the brands that make those boats in Europe or don't have dealers on the states or just make a symbolic effort since the boats are not sold.

Salona have tried and sold one boat to a very happy client that is a member of this forum, a salona 37.

Most American sailors still see does boats as race boats

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-09-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't think the J122 is built in the states. The boat is built by Jcomposites in France, at least the first ones were and certainly almost all are since they are sold almost all in Europe. Some Europeans like teak decks, specially in cruising boats

J/122 Articles & Reviews

J Composite - Home - J Boats - J Composites

The J122 would have not any change to have survived as a performance cruiser with a relatively good interior in the states. That market is almost non existent there and most of the brands that make those boats in Europe or don't have dealers on the states or just make a symbolic effort since the boats are not sold.

Salona have tried and sold one boat to a very happy client that is a member of this forum, a salona 37.

Most American sailors still see does boats as race boats

Regards

Paulo
The updated interior and hull lights on the J/122 immediately change my entire outlook on that boat. I would have never considered it as a performance cruiser option for myself before; now it looks highly desireable, though still shockingly expensive for what you get (don't even think about adding the carbon rig option).

At least in my part of North America, the only European brands that are having success appear to be Beneteau, Jeanneau, Hanse and, to a lesser extent, X-Yachts and Swan (really up and down according to the economy - probably mostly down right now). Otherwise, it's Catalinas, Hunters, and the occasional Alerion. J/Boats is selling J/70s and J/88s in North America, but not sure they're selling much of anything else these days.

Speaking from my own perspective, I think we are starting to experience the full impact of U.S. economic decline across the board. For the money it costs me to pay for my health insurance every year, I could be sailing a new Archambault 31, Malango 888 or Dehler 32, and I'm fortunate to be able to afford health insurance right now. Instead, I'm sailing a Laser. All around me people are struggling and concerned about keeping their jobs. Not a great climate for selling boats.

Of course, I realize that from the perspective of someone in Somalia or Bangladesh we have no reason to complain. But we're talking about selling boats, so let's agree that nobody in those countries is going to buy a performance cruiser at any price. But I think American economic decline is one reason the market is so contracted and people are holding on to boats that are 15-25 years old, and support the rating systems that keep them "competitive".

Meanwhile, in the TJV, Bernard Stamm is showing us why we should never count him out when he has things in working order. Just unfortunate for him that he has to compete against the two top IMOCA 60 sailors in the world, on the fastest IMOCA 60 on the planet. Wonder what Armel Le Cleac'h is doing right now? And where is Banque Populaire?
Faster and EricKLYC like this.
Old 11-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post

Speaking from my own perspective, I think we are starting to experience the full impact of U.S. economic decline across the board. For the money it costs me to pay for my health insurance every year, I could be sailing a new Archambault 31, Malango 888 or Dehler 32, and I'm fortunate to be able to afford health insurance right now. Instead, I'm sailing a Laser. All around me people are struggling and concerned about keeping their jobs. Not a great climate for selling boats.
That is not the reason regarding the full picture. In Europe the crisis is not less and sailboats even if in less number continue to sell, including performance boats. Rich guys are not buying less and we have seen a proliferation of brands making over 50ft very expensive sailboats.

That has to do with what the ones with the money do with it and in America rich guys don't buy sailboats, at least like in Europe. Also regarding retired couples or almost retired, that is one of the main market for sailboats in Europe, there are more going for that option here and while an European will want a brand new boat many Americans still think that older boats are better and will gladly spend a fortune repairing an old boat instead of buying a new one.

I think that is related with a question of status among sailors. While here an old boat is for most sailors just an old less performant design needing a lot of work and maintenance, on the States an old boat from a reputable brand is for the majority a mystic thing and having one will raise admiration among other sailors and will show that the guy is a connoisseur and will not just buy what the market has to offer but a "better" boat, some kind of rare and princely object

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-09-2013

Re: Transat Jaques Fabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post

Meanwhile, in the TJV, Bernard Stamm is showing us why we should never count him out when he has things in working order. Just unfortunate for him that he has to compete against the two top IMOCA 60 sailors in the world, on the fastest IMOCA 60 on the planet. Wonder what Armel Le Cleac'h is doing right now? And where is Banque Populaire?
Yes, Stamm has been great and that has nothing to do with strategy, just pure speed in bad weather. Big balls

It seems we have a winner, if nothing happen to them and another interesting race with 4. On the last 2 hours Marc and company have made the best average speed by far.

Take a look at the Mod 70 and their performance: They are passing in front of my home while the Mod 50 (and open 60) had not yet reached Finisterra

http://tracking.transat-jacques-vabre.com/fr/

It seems that in what regards multihulls size has a much bigger importance regarding speed. The M70 and M50 have a difference of 20ft and the difference in speed seems a lot more than the one between the Open 60 and 40class.

The difference in length is the same but the Open 60 are much more developed boats with a canting keel and even so their difference in performance, at least on this race and weather conditions, is considerably smaller.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-09-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

Out of thread, I know .
But since we are talking about racing, this can be entertaining and may be even useful :

Regelspiel Uli Finckh

Best regards,

Eric
PCP likes this.
Old 11-09-2013

Transat Jaques Fabre

I was right being afraid about the Multi50 in bad weather. Look at this movie:

Jour 2 - Avarie de flotteur - Maître Jacques... by TransatJacquesVabre

Maitre Jacques the Multi 50 with the two Loic tryng to make it to port.

On the Multy 50 Yves Le Blevec was overtaken by Lalou but I believe Yves is trying to maintain the boat in one piece till they get rid of bad weather. I bet on him for winning the race on Multi50.

And on the head of the race and also ahead of all Multi 50, the wonder duo:

Jour 2 - MACIF (IMOCA) -Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 by TransatJacquesVabre

Also some nice images taken from the 40class racer that arrived first to Roscoff, Sébastien Rogues / Fabien Delahaye

Jour 2 - GDF SUEZ (Class40) - Transat Jacques... by TransatJacquesVabre

Last edited by PCP; 11-10-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-09-2013

Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Out of thread, I know .
But since we are talking about racing, this can be entertaining and may be even useful :

Regelspiel Uli Finckh

Best regards,

Eric
Thanks. That is entertaining and funny.

Cheers

Paulo

Old 11-10-2013

Transat Jaques Fabre

and the 40 class racers are racing again.

Jour 3 - Solidaires en Peloton (Class40... por TransatJacquesVabre

The ones that won the first leg, Rogues / Delahaye seem untouchable and have already a big advance. They are great sailors and his boat, a new Sam Manuard design is a bullet. On 2th and third the same places that they have occupied on the first leg, the Spanish team (Pela/Pablo) and the German/French one (Riechers and Brasseur). They are sailing respectively a 2013 Marcelino Botin and a 2012 Sam Manuard design.

If the 2013 Ker designed 40class racer seems not to be so hot as expected the one from the less know Spanish NA (Marcelino Botin) seems to be very fast allowing the all Spanish team a top performance. Of course with two boats on the podium Manuard remains one of the hottest Na from the new generation (Seascape 27).

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013

Regarding the Open 60 Stamm, out of the strong winds seems to be loosing the pack that is in pursuing the leader, that are now only three. The laeader Gabart/Drejoyeux seem to have taken a radically different route option and are going in Peniche direction (my home port) and they are getting very close to it before turning to the Atlatic again.

Here, Marc's boat on the storm:

Jour 4 - Safran (IMOCA) - Transat Jacques Vabre... por TransatJacquesVabre

Has I had thought they had problems, namely with a furler and that's why they had lost so much time (they were 2th). They have managed to fix the problem and they are now fully operational again.

The multi 50 finally out of the storm can leave storm sailing tactics and go to full speed again. The leading ones have already overtaken all Open 60's with the exception of the leader but that should happen sun. And I was right about Yves. He was just managing the boat with care on the storm. Out of it he went to speed again, overtook Lalou and is first again.

I love that guy as a sailor, Yves Le Blevec is for many years the best skipper on the multi50 and those boats are very tricky to sail. I would love to see him on a Multi 70. By the way on the last Transat Jaques Fabre he won the race on multi 50 d teaming with...Sam Manuard, the designer of those top 40class racers. Sam is not only a top designer but a top racer, what a guy

Here Yves, managing the storm:

Jour 4 - Actual (Multi 50) - Transat Jacques... por TransatJacquesVabre

Last edited by PCP; 11-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.